PDA

View Full Version : When did the apathy start?

zach
01-31-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll admit: Before Paul, I did not want to vote at all because I would be voting for something I didn't stand for until now.

But many of my friends are happy with voting for whoever while knowing that it's stupid to do so. I am trying to remedy that with our guy, but I have small thoughts every now and then that these people deserve what might happen to them.

However, there's got to be a time when politics wasn't considered a football game.

P.S.
On Hardball, one of Chris Matthews' interviewees said that he agreed with Paul on the true conservative platform (although he said the foreign policy is too simplistic), and stopped the other interviewee from interrupting him.
I was surprised at hearing his name!

Anyway, so when did politics start being lightly taken?

Lordsteven
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Well it has always has been there, but I think it really started in full force with Nixon. The draft had ended, we were out of Vietnam, the Cold War wasn't really that heated, welfare programs were in full force by then, and with the culmination of Watergate people just quit caring.

forsmant
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't vote, it only encourages them!

tod evans
01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Anyway, so when did politics start being lightly taken?

for me with nixon.

heath.whiteaker
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Bush/Gore fiasco did it for me

Dave Pedersen
01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Apathy has always been the major part of politics. Look at the revolutionary war period. The majority did not participate. There is nothing new under the sun.

10thAmendmentMan
01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Don't vote, it only encourages them!

That's silly. Someone's going to get the most votes regardless of how many vote. You shouldn't vote because it's an inherently illogical action as the chances of your vote mattering in the least are very, very tiny. :)

After having voted for Paul, I can comfortably slip back into my apathy.

forsmant
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
It was supposed to be silly. Either that or since the people abstaining from voting would have elected no one. That has happened for years now. The second place guy always tries to run things even though most choose to ignore it. Blubering bluberery

jyakulis
01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
when did the apathy start?

when the government started drugging us with fluroide in the water.