PDA

View Full Version : War in Afghanistan

SFHSRonPaulFan
01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I know that Ron voted for the resolution to invade Afghanistan, and obviously I also know that he voted against the resolution to invade Iraq. One of his reasons for voting against this resolution, besides the obvious likelihood of failure, is that the resolution gave the Congressional authority of declaring war to President Bush. Why then did he vote for the resolution to invade Afghanistan when as to my knowledge itwas equally as unconstitutional?

New Governor Of Alaska
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
NATO 'not winning in Afghanistan'

Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:29:42

NATO forces in Afghanistan are in a 'strategic stalemate,' as Taliban insurgents expand their control over sparsely populated areas, a report says.

"Make no mistake, NATO is not winning in Afghanistan," said the report by the Atlantic Council of the United States, chaired by retired Gen. James L. Jones, who served as the supreme allied commander of NATO, The Washington Post reported.

"Afghanistan remains a failing state. It could become a failed state," warned the report, which called for 'urgent action' to overhaul NATO strategy in coming weeks before an anticipated new offensive by Taliban insurgents in the spring.

http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=41159&sectionid=351020403

pdavis
01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I agree with you that his vote was probably unconstitutional; however, I think I understand why he voted for the resolution and that is because we were going after a stateless enemy and he viewed going after bin Laden as a policing action.

spudea
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Because with afghanistan, we had already been attacked. This falls under the power of the president to use the military to respond to attacks against us.

However, Iraq did not attack us and posed zero threat to our national security. The president does not have authority to preemtively invade another country. It requires declaration of war by the congress. This did not happen. The authorization is NOT a declaration of war.

OddballAZ
01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
We were attacked and we were going after those who attacked us. Also it was known that the people who attacked us was not a state. As far as I know, you can only declare war on another state entity, not just a group guys with rags on their heads.

It's a damn shame El Presidente Jorge Bush is to much of an idiot and couldnt get the job done quickly. Bin Laden should have been dead long ago.

hawks4ronpaul
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
I know that Ron voted for the resolution to invade Afghanistan, and obviously I also know that he voted against the resolution to invade Iraq. One of his reasons for voting against this resolution, besides the obvious likelihood of failure, is that the resolution gave the Congressional authority of declaring war to President Bush. Why then did he vote for the resolution to invade Afghanistan when as to my knowledge itwas equally as unconstitutional?

Paul wanted to get not "Afghanistan" but the 9/11 terrorists. See http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/2007/12/letters-of-marque-and-reprisal-fighting.html and http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/2007/12/patton-and-us-grant-endorse-ron-paul.html

nobody's_hero
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, when we went into Afghanistan, we had a definite goal - Find those responsible for the murders on 9/11 (chiefly Osama bin Laden).

When we went into Iraq, the goal was to find WMDs. Then when we couldn't find WMD's, it was to remove Saddam from power. Then when he died, we turned to forging a new democratic government in the Middle East. Then we had to keep the terrorists from gaining access to the oil and cutting off the supply. I guess now we just need Iraq as a lauching platform for a war against Iran. :(

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan, we still haven't found Osama bin Laden. But at least our goal isn't changing every season.

Willin
01-31-2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=107690

See links to democracy now website with The interview discussed below

2 days ago Imran Khan, a democratic opposition leader in Pakistan, gave an interview on Democracy Now explaining the Afghanistan issue and low it relates to the Bush administration's propping up the dictatorship on Pakistan over Democratic representative parties such as Khan's.

He described how the US essentially has lumped together vastly different tribes and groups of people together under the labels of Terrorists and Al Qua, anbombed the holy hell out of many different peoples under NATO and through Musharraf's Pakistani military....

He claims that this policy has resulted in creating Freedom Fighters out of Al Quaeda, the best recruitment tool Min Laden could have imagined.