PDA

View Full Version : Constitution Party backing Ron Paul?

Willis4RP
01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I just read it and was pretty taken aback. I find it interesting that a 3rd party is recommending a Republican contender...especially when its a political party conservatives often sympathize with.

Anyway, below is the portion pertaining to Ron Paul. They also both humorously and accurately describe why the other candidates aren't consistent conservatives.

"Ron Paul: The Congressman from Texas is quite simply, ‘the best they’ve got’. The physician is the only candidate who has a 100% constitutionally-correct voting record. Because he votes against unconstitutional bills every time, he earned the label "Doctor No."

He alone in the entire GOP lineup is the only one who voted against the war in Iraq. On every single issue he is a pure, unadulterated, founders-woulda-loved him conservative.

Paul never voted to raise taxes. Not once.

Paul never voted for an unbalanced budget.

Paul never voted for any infringement on gun rights.

Paul never voted to raise his pay.

Paul voted against the blatantly-unconstitutional power grab that is the Patriot Act.

Paul does not participate in the congressional pension program and he returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year – a rare Congressman who practices what he preaches!

The attempts to ignore Congressman Paul have been calculated and sinister.

Though MSNBC reported that Ron Paul scored the highest positive votes in both Republican presidential debates and the polls showed he beat Romney, McCain and Giuliani, the media took no notice. Next, a text message poll after the Fox News GOP debate showed Ron Paul winning handily; still no notice from the media lapdogs.

Sean Hannity was less than fair and oh-so–off-balance the night of the Fox News debate when he "refused" to believe Paul won the debate. In fact, Hannity was downright apoplectic. Within short order, the poll numbers quickly showed a lagging Giuliani had overtaken Paul. Kind of makes you want to say "hmmmm."

In the words of former Treasury Secretary William Simon, Dr. Paul is the "one exception to the Gang of 535" on Capitol Hill. So many men, so few true Constitutionalists.

A very natural question at this point would be, "Why is the Constitution Party not supporting the campaign of Ron Paul?"

The Constitution Party presidential candidate will be selected at its convention in the spring of 2008. We can’t say for sure what will be decided by the convention delegates, but as the party who puts principle above party loyalty, it seems that in the unlikely event that Doctor No is able to capture the Republican nomination, we would stand behind him 100%.

The dilemma we have is that we cannot sit around and wait to see what the Republicans are going to do but must build the ark that true Constitutionalists can find refuge on when it dawns on them that the Republican and Democrat parties will let them drown. To that end we must work to secure ballot access in all 50 states NOW and find a candidate who can carry our principles into a presidential campaign which will more than likely find a left-of-center candidate carrying the Republican mantle.

If the Grand Old Party does choose to return to its conservative ideals by supporting Congressman Paul, then there will be ample opportunity to throw our support behind him should our delegates so decide. If he does not win the GOP nomination we will have done much of the work to gain the ballot lines necessary to field a candidate who shares our values and who will govern constitutionally. That candidate could be Ron Paul should he decide to continue his race by seeking the Constitution Party nomination.

At this critical juncture in our history it is with firm hope we work toward the election of a true statesman who will seek to maintain the Founder’s vision in adherence to our great Constitution."

http://www.constitutionparty.com/news.php?aid=613

AlexMerced
01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
the NY constition party endorsed paul, they invited me to their yahoo group the other day and looks like are willing to support me in my future ambitions in New Yorks 4th District

SovereignMN
01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I am a CP member and nearly every other member I know is backing Dr. Paul.

Lord Xar
01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I am a CP member and nearly every other member I know is backing Dr. Paul.

but did they register republican where needed to vote?
also, how large is the constitution party?

AlexMerced
01-31-2008, 05:03 PM

from the people I talked to I got the impression that they did and they support candidates who are in line with their platform not ncessesarily are actualy part of the party

much wiser than some beltway libertarians

woot to all the old school libertarians who get it

Johncjackson
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
I think a lot of the support in Nevada came from that state's version/affiliate of the CP.

Almost everyone I know from the CP AND LP ( and even some GP) support Ron Paul.

SovereignMN
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM

Minnesota is an open state. Anyone can show up at the Republican caucus and as long as they are eligible to vote (18 years old by next election) they can participate. So yes...all the CP members that I know will be caucusing for Dr. Paul on the 5th.

To answer the 2nd part of your question...in MN we are not very large unfortunately. :(

Eponym_mi
01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Libertarian Party has invited RP to run...nearly pleaded.

AlexMerced
01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Minnesota is an open state. Anyone can show up at the Republican caucus and as long as they are eligible to vote (18 years old by next election) they can participate. So yes...all the CP members that I know will be caucusing for Dr. Paul on the 5th.

To answer the 2nd part of your question...in MN we are not very large unfortunately. :(

every vote counts... well... not in Louisiana... or New Hampshire... extra votes count in Nevada....

Theocrat
01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Yes, the Constitution Party adores Congressman Paul. Their 2004 Presidential candidate, Michael Anthony Peroutka, has already endorsed him (http://www.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=926&PHPSESSID=033ffb2ee199389e53aeb8480b4c8044) for President! Mr. Peroutka is awesome. :D

virginiakid
01-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Now that would be a great ticket btw. Ron Paul/Michael Peroutka.

Cinderella
01-31-2008, 05:19 PM
wow thats great!!!!! but running as a third party arent there rules about debates etc?? ive heard they dont even have to invite him to debates and they will surly black him out on the media as well

Original_Intent
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I am a CP member who switched to vote for Ron Paul. I have beenemailing the national committee since last spring to try to get them to endorse Ron Paul. They have prided themselves on putting principle above the advancement of the party, they will support a candidate of any party that upholds constituional principles.

I was very pleased when they released this saying they would support RP.

Gadsden Flag
01-31-2008, 05:22 PM
In Missouri, the Libertarian party members I know are all voting Ron Paul. Same with the CP.

Both of them want him to run on their ticket if he doesn't get the republican nomination.
For what it's worth, I would prefer him on the Constitution party, simply because the name sounds so appealing. Libertarian sounds like 'Liberal', and most of the audience RP wants wouldn't go for that.

Bison
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm a member of the CP and of course I support Ron Paul, he's a Constitutionalist. Many of our members send him money as well. In fact our State Chairman spoke at the Ron Paul-athon rally that took place this past weekend in Mountain View Missouri. We had a table set up and many of the people attending showed a great interest in the CP. We even had some people that wanted to run on the Constitution Party ticket for local office.

If you know any Constitutionalists that would be interested in running for local office here in Missouri they are welcome to contact us at our website. http://www.constitutionpartymo.org .

alaric
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
In Missouri, the Libertarian party members I know are all voting Ron Paul. Same with the CP.

Both of them want him to run on their ticket if he doesn't get the republican nomination.
For what it's worth, I would prefer him on the Constitution party, simply because the name sounds so appealing. Libertarian sounds like 'Liberal', and most of the audience RP wants wouldn't go for that.
I have been saying for years that the 3rd parties should UNITE around one presidential candidate. This would be an ideal time to do it!

V4Vendetta
01-31-2008, 06:12 PM
I am a member of the CP. Voted for Peroutka/Balwin in 04. They too have asked my 2 times to run for office, But I am not ready. Lord willing, in a couple of years I will. If we still have a Republic by then.

They are a pretty big party!
They have something like 300,000 members in PA. alone.

jsu718
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
So is it possible that Ron Paul could appear on four different party tickets in November in a lot of states? I think that could get attention.

crazyfingers
01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm admittedly naive on the subject but is there any difference between the platforms of the LP and the CP? It just doesn't seem wise to split up what is already a very small segment of the electorate. Can anyone from either Party enlighten me on the rift that keeps these two from joining forces?

Bison
01-31-2008, 06:49 PM
CP Platform http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php
LP platform http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml

Bison
01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
So is it possible that Ron Paul could appear on four different party tickets in November in a lot of states? I think that could get attention.

That would put him on the ballot in enough states to mathematically win the election.

Original_Intent
01-31-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm admittedly naive on the subject but is there any difference between the platforms of the LP and the CP? It just doesn't seem wise to split up what is already a very small segment of the electorate. Can anyone from either Party enlighten me on the rift that keeps these two from joining forces?

In a nutshell the most divisive issues are:

The CP is vehemently pro-life, the LP is pro-choice but not so adamantly.

CP is for defending the borders, the LP is more open borders. (If I understand correctly they kind of feel that there shouldn't be borders, but check them out for more clarity on this)

V4Vendetta
01-31-2008, 07:40 PM

LP - Liberal for the most part (Ron Paul left the party because they were so damn pro-abortion)
CP - VERY CONSERVATIVE

crazyfingers
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah I did some research and I definitely fit in better with the LP. I'm joining up with them after I vote for Dr. Paul on Tuesday. The abortion issue is understandable but how can they call themselves the "Constitution Party" yet be pro- Drug War? It just seems as if they want to be the morality police. Oh well, to each his own I guess. It's just unfortunate because it hurts the overall cause of freedom.

Joe3113
01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Constitution and Libertarian Party should back Ron 100%.

He is their best chance of ever getting near the presidency.

G-Wohl
01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
The Constitution Party's platform seems to be VERY against some of Ron Paul's basic principles, though...

CJLauderdale4
01-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I am a CP member, and switched to REP to vote for Ron Paul.

As much as we recognize many of the Christian principles the Founders used to begin our nation, we recognize that it is all about the Constitution and the rule of law of our Republic that is at stake in this election.

GO RON PAUL!!!

Jay778x
01-31-2008, 08:22 PM
ok

dante
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
I would expect the constitution party and ron paul would get together and 'fix' the platform to RP's stances on everything before he were to accept their nomination. Also I think if RP were to run 3rd party he would have a much better shot running with the constitutional party label as it is hard to give it a negative connotation whereas a lot of the conservative votes that RP would have unfortunately a negative connotation of the LP party.

Bison
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Its all about states rights.

Arklatex
01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Listen to the Bison.

Willis4RP
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Is it possible that the Constitution Party and the Libertarian Party could have a joint Ron Paul ticket? That'd get him on the ballots in most states, right?
Is this possible?