PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from protesting a local papers lack of RP coverage.

JasonCYST
01-31-2008, 03:14 PM
The protest was in response to Ron Paul being excluded from a Sunday pieace featuring all 2008 presidential candidates. All but, of course, Ron Paul.

I posted about this in a previous thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=103507

It was a small turnout with only about 15 people, but that was more than I personally expected considering it's a weekday during normal working hours.

When we showed up a representitive from the paper came out and tried to feed us some BS excuse as to why the didnt include him. Low poll numbers, etc.

Here is the article they (the Times Herald Record) wrote about the protest.

Ron Paul supporters picket Record over coverage

http://images.recordonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TH&Date=20080131&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=801310340&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80

January 31, 2008
MIDDLETOWN — About a dozen Ron Paul supporters assembled outside the Times Herald-Record's Mulberry Street headquarters today to protest what they call "unfair reporting" by this newspaper of the Republican presidential candidate.

They took exception to the Record's coverage in the Sunday, Jan. 27 edition that presented information on the 2008 presidential Republican and Democratic candidates. The article did not include Paul, a Republican congressman from Texas. Supporter Frank Carbone Jr. of Newburgh read the following statement: "Dr. Paul is currently the only candidate calling for peaceful solutions to U.S. problems and world problems and his steadfast support of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and their safeguards."

The supporters held placards bearing Paul's name as they spoke with the Record's Managing Editor Meg McGuire about this issue.

"It's a deliberate attempt to hurt us," said Joe Shields of Warwick.

"As a local paper, I think we can do better than what the mainstream media have," said Paul supporter Cathy Liljequist of Middletown, who is retired after 22 years with the New York Air National Guard.

McGuire told the protestors that the choice to omit Paul from the candidate position list was made because he garnered a mere 2 percent, the lowest in order of preference, in a recent Marist poll on the GOP presidential candidates.

"We included Rudy (Giuliani) simply because he was a favorite son," McGuire said. "Did we make the right decision? You can always argue that."

McGuire praised the protestors for their political activism and their passion.

"There is nothing I like better than this," she said. "People who care about their country."

In the end, it was a good day. Got A LOT of honks and supporters driving by during the four hours we were there.

The local news (http://www.cable6tv.com/) came out as well and promised to have a piece on todays events on their news broadcast tonight. I was interviewed at length regarding Ron Paul and why were protesting, so I'll probably be featured (for better or worse).

Goodtimes.

Grandson of Liberty
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
The media will be held accountable.

Ex Post Facto
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
You guys are awesome.

A Ron Paul Rebel
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Excellent!!!

Rhys
01-31-2008, 03:23 PM
That's real cool. Too bad the editor is a turd. The girl is cute.

JasonCYST
01-31-2008, 03:24 PM
That's real cool. Too bad the editor is a turd. The girl is cute.

Hah. Thanks, I'll tell my girlfriend you think so. ;)

Vendico
01-31-2008, 03:25 PM
We should do this on a massive scale. 1 day everyone protests the MSM by picketing the local news channels and head offices

DealzOnWheelz
01-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Good Job Keep It Up

firebirdnation
01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Great work, we need more of this activism, thanks for taking a stand!!

JasonCYST
01-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Just watched the news and the did use a piece of my interview.

"If the mainstream media isn't going to give him the fair coverage he deserves, I have to use my voice and my actions to get his message out to the public."

Overall it was a NICE and POSITIVE piece by the local news.

Love it.

krott5333
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
ooohhhhhh who is that girl? :D

InLoveWithRon
01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Beautiful.. You guys made my day !

Here's a toast ! cheers!

JasonCYST
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
ooohhhhhh who is that girl? :D

My girlfriend. :D