PDA

View Full Version : Buzz Words That RP Should Stop Using

TSOL
01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
"Empire"

and

"Gold Standard"

I believe a majorty of the sheep out there aren't aware of these terms nor grasp the concept behind them.

JMO
01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
It seems every time he gets a question he turns it saying we lost our way and we should bring home the troops. I think we already got the Anti War republicans and could use a little more info about the subjects.

homah
01-31-2008, 09:58 AM
"Gold Standard"

I agree on the other one, but for Gold Standard I think he just needs to dumb it down:

"In 19xx, a 1-ounce gold coin could buy you a nice suit. In 2008, a 1-ounce gold can buy you a nice suit. In 19xx, $20 could buy you a nice suit. In 2008, $20 can buy you a happy meal."

markderidder
01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
also, "Guns and Butter"! See my recent post.

I think of butter guns... which is a funny concept.

-Mark

Rob
01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Abolish is also a major loser.

"That kook is crazy he wants to abolish my edumacation and Social Security!"

Mani
01-31-2008, 10:02 AM
I've come to realize, the sheep don't know what he's saying.

property rights, gold standard, etc.

They only understand stuff like, "Straight talk! America is great! Hillary sucks!"

peznex
01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
He is too intelligent. It's sad but true.

People are scared of what they don't understand.

Edited for happiness. :)

Truth Warrior
01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
The vast majority of voters are over 40 and understands exactly what these phrases mean.<IMHO>

Jae0
01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Buzzwords we should stop using

"Sheep" "sheeple"

dreicher
01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
The vast majority of voters are over 40 and understands exactly what these phrases mean.<IMHO>

I think you vastly overestimate the intelligence of over-40 Americans.

Thumper
01-31-2008, 10:18 AM

"Sheep" "sheeple"

QFT, it's pretty arrogant on our part.

How about "mainstream America", "the masses", "the average American", "non-political junkies"...

Rob
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM

"Sheep" "sheeple"

Good god yes!!!!!!

One our misguided own was making a video to convert new people that repeated said in voiceover "Americans are sheep, they don't think for themselves."

I tried my best to dissuade him, he just didn't get it.

Jae0
01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Good god yes!!!!!!

One our misguided own was making a video to convert new people that repeated said in voiceover "Americans are sheep, they don't think for themselves."

I tried my best to dissuade him, he just didn't get it.

ZOMG! Dont ever insult the people you're trying to win over.

deezblast
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Also, like someone pointed out earlier, I think RP should stop calling it a "humble" foreign policy of "non-intervention", and start using "armed neutrality." This would allow viewers to see more clearly that he wants to make America stronger and not weaker.

mysticgeek
01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
"TROLL" is a bad buzz word as well!

mysticgeek
01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Buzzwords we should stop using "Sheep" "sheeple"

McCain needs to stop using "Straight Talk"

crazyfacedjenkins
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM

agreed, and after having gone to college, I think we vastly overestimate the intelligence of "educated" Americans as well

summjet
01-31-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree. I handed him a letter in Portland, ME this week regarding dumbing it down. He shouldn't mention certain concepts unless he has time for a quick explaination (which he never does in the rigged debates).

I certainly don't want RP to start sounding like the other candidates, but there are lessons about campaigning to be learned for someone like Obama. He should steal all good ideas he can. Everyone else is stealing his!

evandi
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
What he does sets him apart. If he just wants to look good there is no reason for others to even look at him at all.

He was never going to win a popularity contest. He will win based on the strength of his ideas, or he will lose.

You guys want him to be like Brownback.

TSOL
01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree on the other one, but for Gold Standard I think he just needs to dumb it down:

"In 19xx, a 1-ounce gold coin could buy you a nice suit. In 2008, a 1-ounce gold can buy you a nice suit. In 19xx, $20 could buy you a nice suit. In 2008, $20 can buy you a happy meal."

Wow. That is really startling to think about.

I've come to realize, the sheep don't know what he's saying.

property rights, gold standard, etc.

They only understand stuff like, "Straight talk! America is great! Hillary sucks!"

Yes. McWar with his "I am Proud of my record on blah blah ...". Seems his answer for everything.

I doubt it.

"Sheep" "sheeple"

Sad but true ? Look at the numbers. "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

I underestimate it unfortunatley. :(

LibertyEagle
01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
also, "Guns and Butter"! See my recent post.

I think of butter guns... which is a funny concept.

-Mark

Most people over 50 know what that means.

Truth Warrior
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
You may just be correct. :) Look at the mess(es) that they got us all into.

Thanks!

"If voting ever really changed anything, it would be illegal."

dawnbt
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't know how many times we have to beg HQ to get Ron a speech coach!!!

Iwantchange
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
There were two things I was a little disappointed about...

1. He didn't get very aggressive
2. and he really didn't chime in on all the topics. The only two that he really chimed in on was the economy and Iraq.

**edit** and at times he only talks about what the problem is, and not necessarily about what he's going to do to fix it.

Don't get me wrong though, I understand what his dream is and believe me not I share it. He in my eyes is the only candidate that make any sense.

TSOL
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Kind of hard to chime in when Cooper would cut him off or deny his time.

I do agree, he should have persisted and said his peace.

Sandra
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
What he is doing IS working. Most people are hearing him for the very first time. If YOU"RE tired of hearing him over and over, turn the channel instead of trying to get him to put on a phony polish.

Iwantchange
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Kind of hard to chime in when Cooper would cut him off or deny his time.

I do agree, he should have persisted and said his peace.

ow don't get me wrong I totally agree. It was obvious how one sided it was, hell I even felt bad for Huckabee. He just needs to get in there and get aggressive, let them know that he's a candidate too, and that he deserve the same respect.

cayton
01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
"gold standard" is fine to use, "empire" only works in certain instances. "guns and butter" is okay a few times, but he uses it too much.

summjet
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
No, he should never try to emulate Obama, just examine whatever it is that has such wide appeal (like his optimism). Like Ron said on Bill Moyer's Journal "all those negatives (meaning whats wrong with our country) can be turned into positives.

Instead of "we must aboish the fed and the IRS and stop weakining the dollar", etc. How about: "we can strengthen our economy by fixing our broken monetary system letting Americans keep more of their hard earned money. We can bring prosperity back to this great country of ours. By implementing the system of free-market capitalism that the Founding Fathers envisioned, we can end the welfare state and give all Americans, from all walks of life, a chance to share in the American dream once again!"

Or words to that effect.

cayton
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Also, I'd like for him to attack these guys by name, using votes they have made. No personal attacks.

"well, senator mccain, you say these things constantly, but you voted ..... and .... and in conclusion you are terrible. thanks"

chipvogel
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
This is where the Frank Luntz people actually help

words that mean the same thing...but give people different emotional or subconscious responses

suggestions

empire - global military
gold standard - private currency
police the world - should be replaced good neighbor/friend foreign policy

JayDH
01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
I was going to post this myself but then saw this thread.

RP really needs to stop saying that the US has an "empire" and that we need to stop maintaining our "empire"

RP supporters understand what he means but I think that when the average American hears him say "empire" it almost sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Instead of simply referring to our "empire" he needs to specifically mention where are troops are located and for how long. That will be more shocking and memorable to the average American.

rprprs
01-31-2008, 11:27 AM
What he is doing IS working. Most people are hearing him for the very first time. If YOU"RE tired of hearing him over and over, turn the channel instead of trying to get him to put on a phony polish.

Polish doesn't have to be phony.

I don't want Ron to compromise his standards or ideals. I don't want to transform him into something he's not. I'm in this for the long haul, and I practically idolize the man. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize an area that needs a little "tweaking".

First and foremost, I'd like to see him slow down his delivery. He most certainly needs to concentrate on finishing every sentence (and every word, for that matter).

His ideals, concepts and policies...FLAWLESS. His presentation...not so much.

Ara825
01-31-2008, 11:35 AM

How old are you? Are you over forty or still in your wet behind the ears stage of life?
Keep in mind that Dr Paul is over 40, so if you insult us you insult him.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
If you would like to give constructive criticism to the campaign, the place to do that is the Campaign Suggestion Box subforum located here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=212

Thank You.

davidfarrar
01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
"Empire"

and

"Gold Standard"

I believe a majorty of the sheep out there aren't aware of these terms nor grasp the concept behind them.

You people had better watch it. Your posts are going to be shifted to the hinderlands of http://libertyforest.com if you get too critical of Ron Paul on this forum.

misconstrued
01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Also, like someone pointed out earlier, I think RP should stop calling it a "humble" foreign policy of "non-intervention", and start using "armed neutrality." This would allow viewers to see more clearly that he wants to make America stronger and not weaker.

"Armed Neutrality" is a great way to describe it.

misconstrued
01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
This is where the Frank Luntz people actually help...

Yep, we should watch more closely what he, and others like him, do... learn from them... and use their tricks to our benefit.

We are way too combative with people that do (yet) support Ron Paul. I think a number of Thompson and Huckabee supporters are really turned off by how some Ron Paul supporters act towards them and because of this will never support us where they may otherwise...

This campaign needs a bit of a make-over on all levels...

coffeewithchess
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Empire
Federal Reserve
Gold Standard

How about actually talking about some HOPE, instead of all the problems...tell the American people HOW you will attempt to change things. Since the American people seem to flock to the candidates that simply speak "Change" but have no records to back it up. RP needs to distinguish himself more and in terms 90% of people listening would actually understand. The fact that we are having to even discuss this shows the campaign or RP isn't prepping for debates, if they are, they aren't doing a very good job.

Redcard
01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
See, that's the problem.

Americans aren't stupid. They're ignorant, yes, but stupid? Not so much.

If Paul were to answer the questions that face the American people with frames of reference around his points, then it'd be different.

This economy thing.. it would have been a PERFECT time to get some message out on his website last week. Just plain talk. Instead, it's all.. jumbled up.. and it makes sense to us, because we've read it before and we understand it, but it doesn't get out the way that would relate to people.

Look, here's what he's saying, and here's what people think it's meaning:

"Abolish the Department of Education"

=

"Go to private schools, remove the education department , and have even less control of public school standards in a time when we are producing dumber and dumber people in maths and sciences"

"Return to a gold standard"

=

"Make all the money in my pocket worthless"

"Non-interventionist policy"

=

"Let the terrorists come over here to fight us"

See, all the positions I posited that people are HEARING are wrong.. but Paul doesn't explain things plain enough to remove that fear or doubt. He just continues on down the path.

Someone needs to get him into a room and teach him how to speak persuasively. On the debate last night, the best word I have to describe him was Timid.

It was like he tried to sit down at the adult table at thanksgiving, and quietly sulked into the background.

dvictr
01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
allow gold and silver to be competing currencies ... nothing fringe about that!