PDA

View Full Version : How can we get rid of our current media?

rodent
01-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Todd
01-31-2008, 09:23 AM
You called?

http://www.kultureshock.co.uk/v3/images/v-for-vendetta.jpg

m72mc
01-31-2008, 09:23 AM
How ? easy, stop giving them your money.

Mortikhi
01-31-2008, 09:45 AM
A coordinated effort to disable regional satellite signal receivers in every market.

With no receivers, there's no tv. With no tv, there's no brainwashing.

I'm not advocating violence, I'm just saying...

NinjaPirate
01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
How ? easy, stop giving them your money.

Exactly. Boycott all of their sponsors. Do this on a mass scale and they will take notice. Money talks.

WilliamC
01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
People still watch TV?

That's like, so 20th century!

Unplug from the matrix.

Use your TV to watch DVD's.

Use your computer to find information.

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Exactly. Boycott all of their sponsors. Do this on a mass scale and they will take notice. Money talks.

Boycott them, too. If you have cable or satellite, their ratings go up every time you tune in--and those ratings determine what they can charge for ad time.

TSOL
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
That's about what I do.

I watch NBA, NFL and MLB, Discovery and A&E mostly (and DVD's).

Everything else is web based.

Redcard
01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm surprised many of you haven't tried Current.TV.

I know it's AL Gore's station, but.. still.. it seems to be pretty cool.. and the model is an impressively good model to follow for media.

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Think we can moneybomb enough to buy out Rupert Murdoch? I am absolutely positive he has his price!

chiplitfam
01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Just called DISH network and cancelled FAUX news and told them why. I am checking if CNN can individually be cancelled. Just having it blocked does not work. The money to the network must be halted.

Redcard
01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Just called DISH network and cancelled FAUX news and told them why. I am checking if CNN can individually be cancelled. Just having it blocked does not work. The money to the network must be halted.

Sad news, mate.

"Cancelling" a channel is nothing more than blocking it on your card. They're still giving them money from your account.. you still count as a subscriber.

rp4prez
01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
what ever happened to that so called billionaire? hm.

chiplitfam
01-31-2008, 10:06 AM
On Dish Network, Faux costs extra. It is a premium channel. If I cancell their extra package, how is Faux still receiving money, unless Dish Network pays Faux regardless if you are subscribing to the Faux extra package or not.

Ninja Homer
01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
The best way is to go out and canvass for Ron Paul. You bypass any media blackout. Talking to people in person is a lot more effective than anything people hear on TV. When Ron Paul is President, everybody will realize and wake up to the fact that MSM are a bunch of lying manipulative bastards that can never be trusted again. People will turn to the internet as their news source.

The way to hurt the MSM and try to get them to change is with a well organized boycott of their advertisers. Advertisers calculate the return on their advertising investment, and it's usually a very small percentage. If they get thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people who let them know that they will NOT be buying the advertisers products or services because of the show they advertise on, they will move their advertising somewhere else. As they pull their ads from corrupt news sources, those news sources will have to lower their rates to attract new advertisers, and they'll lose a lot of money.

NinjaPirate
01-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Boycott them, too. If you have cable or satellite, their ratings go up every time you tune in--and those ratings determine what they can charge for ad time.

No poo, they can determine ratings through that?? o.O I thought you had to have some sort of box! Innnnnnnttttteresting............

j0ew00ds
01-31-2008, 10:18 AM
No poo, they can determine ratings through that?? o.O I thought you had to have some sort of box! Innnnnnnttttteresting............

No... the ratings are drawn from surveys. I have DirecTV and i don't have it plugged into a phone so there's no way for my house to communicate back to them. It's a one-way system - they don't know what i'm watching.

theantirobot
01-31-2008, 10:21 AM
In my opinion the best way to get rid of the old media is to provide a compelling alternative. I am funding the creation of a new type of social news site. It will be done soon.

Redcard
01-31-2008, 10:21 AM
On Dish Network, Faux costs extra. It is a premium channel. If I cancell their extra package, how is Faux still receiving money, unless Dish Network pays Faux regardless if you are subscribing to the Faux extra package or not.

Are you serious? Heh.

That's weird, a neighbor has Dish and he gets FoxNews for free as part of his package.. he was wanting to cancel it as well, but was told that he can have it blocked , but not cancelled.

Huh. Very strange. My bad :)

Elwar
01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
No... the ratings are drawn from surveys. I have DirecTV and i don't have it plugged into a phone so there's no way for my house to communicate back to them. It's a one-way system - they don't know what i'm watching.

Yep...see here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=106659

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM

Umm... Since when is a phone line a one-way system? You may well be right, but I'm quite sure that many dish systems and all cable systems are able to--and do--keep track.

I remember the A.C. Neilsen survey. Took one once--about thirty years ago. Anyone filled one out lately?

RevolutionSD
01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
The barrier to entry in the media market is high. However, I still see a lot of you watching Fox News and CNN. Surely, the RP revolution can back some web 2.0 alternative to the media.

If we're going to go beyond Ron Paul and his campaign, we have to confront the media. I can't watch CNN or FOX anymore without getting angry, so I just don't watch. We really need to avoid the media and let it die completely.

We're a market ourselves. We just need someone who's as critical of the media as Alex Jones without the baggage of Alex Jones. [1]

[1] I love the Alex Jones show, but I can't sell it to anybody else without being branded an idiot. I've tried, and all it has done is make people think less of me and label me a conspiracy kook.

It's called iTV. Internet TV. We will have it some day. 1000's of stations will make cnn, fox, etc. irrelevant. I just wonder how much the establishment is playing a role in blocking this technology from happening.

wowabunga
01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
The best way is to go out and canvass for Ron Paul. You bypass any media blackout. Talking to people in person is a lot more effective than anything people hear on TV. People will turn to the internet as their news source

I'm betting that we won't recognize the internet in 2 years due to regulations. McCain is on record as saying that the web needs some oversight.

As to going out and talking to voters in public... YES YES YES it works... it can be personally rewarding... and good for America too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTvgfnh1pM

Become The Media...
Ramblin Randy

Redcard
01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
It's called iTV. Internet TV. We will have it some day. 1000's of stations will make cnn, fox, etc. irrelevant. I just wonder how much the establishment is playing a role in blocking this technology from happening.

It happens NOW.

It's called Youtube. The problem is, people still don't want to go away from their newsmedia. And people can't be sussed to sort out the signal from the noise.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

CurrentTV lets people do personally produced "Pods", and that's about as close as you've got to a mainstream crossing "Youtube" now.

Podcasts won't replace radio shows. ITv won't replace real TV. CNN won't be irrelevant SIMPLY because new technology comes into play. You must have acceptance of that tech.

Elwar
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I think the only way for it to happen is this fancy invention in my mind:

Someone needs to create a box (mainly a gutted down computer) that connects to the Internet (either wirelessly or ethernet, either way it needs to be as easy as hell). The box will connect to a specific web site that has nothing but TV channels that you can flip through with a remote control just like a TV set.

Basic setup: you buy it at Best Buy or wherever...you take it home and it finds your wireless connection and connects to a default website: webthingy.tv and that site hosts about 100 channels of 24 hour TV streamed. You can't tell it's a web site, to the average user it's like they just bought a cable box that gives them 100 more channels without paying for cable (just the Internet connection).

Then, you can also go to a menu screen and choose other websites beside the default (sportsjunky.tv, 20 channels, kidschannels.tv, 10 channels, etc...) all TV sites open to creation by anyone...no centralized decision makers for what viewers watch (freedom.tv?).

Even further, you could have a phone jack in the box that you just plug into your phone line and it gets 'net access for those that don't have Internet (for a basic Internet fee).

The technology is there. It can be done right now by a bunch of computer geeks that connect their computer to their TV. But there are only so many channels online to watch.

With this, the audience will be there, the channels will be there...bam...good-bye old media.

DAFTEK
01-31-2008, 10:40 AM

I have said this all along, They don't need the Nielson Box to know your tunned in, they get the info straight from the Sat or cable box directly these days! Unless you watch Over The Air Antenna, by the way most locals Over The Air is more and more in HD now.... Also if you have Dish Network you can get the lower package that includes some great channels but no FOX or CNN so thats another way to do it if you want to boycott or just cancel them and get a windows media system on your 60inch LCD :D

IPSecure
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
We steal the peoples money, infiltrate with CIA interns and dumb blondes, and spin, spin, spin....

This is how it is done!

Nadia
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I love the videos where people follow Russert and Hannity with video camera in hand. We need to put them on the spot, call them on their lies and put it on youtube for all to see. If we make them uncomfortable and burst their little bubble, maybe they'll stop lying or at least quit their jobs.

I don't watch TV (house is not connected to the Matrix) but so many people still are so we can't just let them keep lying. I also think we need to call them the Corporate Media, not the MSM which gives them too much credibility. They are not 'mainstream' and they have lost all credibility by lying about Iraq, lying about a threat from Iran, lying about everything and then attempting to control our elections so they can keep on lying.

Redcard
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
I think the only way for it to happen is this fancy invention in my mind:

Someone needs to create a box (mainly a gutted down computer) that connects to the Internet (either wirelessly or ethernet, either way it needs to be as easy as hell). The box will connect to a specific web site that has nothing but TV channels that you can flip through with a remote control just like a TV set.

I have such a box that you describe.

It's been out there for years , both amateur created and professionally sold. They were sold at Best Buy for a bit, but they didn't end up selling too well, and are no longer sold.

Mine interfaces with Youtube.

I was thinking of making a media center that used Youtube videos and adaptive learning, but, every time I test the software, I get a bunch of crap with very few good things.

If everyone can make media, remember, everyone WILL make media.

DAFTEK
01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Old people will still watch FOX, CNN, MSNBC.... MSM

Best thing to to is call your local channels and insist to cover RP and remind them we have the power to hit their advertisers with tons of emails and boycott their products! In todays economy that wont be good for their pockets and it will be great for yours with more gold on your neck :D Like Mr-T :D

RevolutionSD
01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
It happens NOW.

It's called Youtube. The problem is, people still don't want to go away from their newsmedia. And people can't be sussed to sort out the signal from the noise.

CurrentTV lets people do personally produced "Pods", and that's about as close as you've got to a mainstream crossing "Youtube" now.

Podcasts won't replace radio shows. ITv won't replace real TV. CNN won't be irrelevant SIMPLY because new technology comes into play. You must have acceptance of that tech.

Like barely anyone is on YouTube over the age of 50.
It's not mainstream even though it seems like it to us.

I'm not saying iTV will replace regular TV overnight but I believe it can happen pretty fast.

Redcard
01-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Like barely anyone is on YouTube over the age of 50.
It's not mainstream even though it seems like it to us.

I'm not saying iTV will replace regular TV overnight but I believe it can happen pretty fast.

It will happen fast so long as the signal to noise ratio remains high.

You have to offer a "better" service.. and if simply saying "Oh, anyone can make media and thousands upon thousands of stations" is enough, then why hasn't sattelite / terestial radio gone away to streaming services? The answer is, Thousands upon thousands of stations of crap is still crap.

And that's the problem with this "New Media Revolution." It's not watchable. There are streaming sites RIGHT Now. Internet sites out there right now that offer what you want, and set top boxes that connect RIGHT to them that have been sold in stores like Best Buy, Compusa, etc.

They just were in the store, nobody bought them, now they're out of the store. Windows Media Player on Media Center Edition PCs NOW (and only on those) are offering that kind of thing, but it's not getting used much.

kpitcher
01-31-2008, 10:50 AM
If it's available to you, BBC America and PBS are decent. Much wider international news and they don't get stuck on the entertainment news making headlines.

Do I care which hollywood wannabe has been hospitalized/jailed/divorced/married/died/gave birth to/adopted... ? The typical american news channel thinks we do.

Reality TV is cheaper to produce so most '24 hour stations' don't dig into a real news story when they can get reality tv which the audience will happily consume.

Iwantchange
01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
You get all the Ron Paul Supporters together, and anyone else that hates Faux and the other mainstream media terrorists, and you do a National News Black out and watch there stock fall.

DAFTEK
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
I love the videos where people follow Russert and Hannity with video camera in hand. We need to put them on the spot, call them on their lies and put it on youtube for all to see. If we make them uncomfortable and burst their little bubble, maybe they'll stop lying or at least quit their jobs..

WoooW Dude, why is it OK for Paparazzi to chase down Britney and we cant get enough grassroots to dedicate the same thing on the Neocons of MSM and start a huge Website and plaster them all over it. The FOX and Friends Net? Think about it, we can chase them Down constantly and take video and pictures of them every minute of their personal life's and see how they like to be the reported not the reporter :D This would have nothing to do with RP himself but it could be claimed a RP initiative if he doesn't become president which more and more is unlikely after watching last nights horse shit from Anderson Pooooper!

Redcard
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
You get all the Ron Paul Supporters together, and anyone else that hates Faux and the other mainstream media terrorists, and you do a National News Black out and watch there stock fall.

Hah.
Right.

If you boycotted fox to the fullest, you'd be really surprised at all the stuff you're going to be boycotting. For starters, you likely won't even be allowed on the internet.

RevolutionSD
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
It will happen fast so long as the signal to noise ratio remains high.

You have to offer a "better" service.. and if simply saying "Oh, anyone can make media and thousands upon thousands of stations" is enough, then why hasn't sattelite / terestial radio gone away to streaming services? The answer is, Thousands upon thousands of stations of crap is still crap.

And that's the problem with this "New Media Revolution." It's not watchable. There are streaming sites RIGHT Now. Internet sites out there right now that offer what you want, and set top boxes that connect RIGHT to them that have been sold in stores like Best Buy, Compusa, etc.

They just were in the store, nobody bought them, now they're out of the store. Windows Media Player on Media Center Edition PCs NOW (and only on those) are offering that kind of thing, but it's not getting used much.

But you say this as if Fox and CNN aren't crap.
I think the demand for a variety of news sources is rising.
The technology hasn't been perfected yet and the demand hasn't quite reached that tipping point, but it's getting their fast.

There was an article in Business Week a few months ago about iTV. They describe the problem as being too many companies having to work together. But they say that it will revolutionize TV watching, and I believe that.

fedup100
01-31-2008, 10:55 AM
This topic must be placed in a think tank and resolved. We have the power as a group to put an end to this circus, the msm.

We do need to cancel their service if possible. We need to boycott their sponsors, but especially the local ones that pay for the local msm satellite stations.

We must form a lawsuit to stop this insult to our nation, it IS a matter of national security. They, the msm, must not be allowed to broadcast anything that would be considered news, they must be for entertainment only.

We must force through suits and legislation, all real news through independent citizen run and overseen news stations that report the real news 24/7 nationwide.

This is so important, we will never see another free election unless this is done.

AlexMerced
01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Introduce competition, but the FCC makes that hard. When this is all said and done I'm down with working toether to make our own tv station.

Jim_Karr
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Higher China to blow up the news satlelite in space.LMFAO :D

thewolf7=1976
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Start small, build up and become the media. Check the prices for these radio stations, they range from $150k and up. Well within the moneybomb range.

http://www.buysellradio.com/forsale.html

Redcard
01-31-2008, 11:02 AM
But you say this as if Fox and CNN aren't crap.
I think the demand for a variety of news sources is rising.
The technology hasn't been perfected yet and the demand hasn't quite reached that tipping point, but it's getting their fast.

There was an article in Business Week a few months ago about iTV. They describe the problem as being too many companies having to work together. But they say that it will revolutionize TV watching, and I believe that.

You have to understand that "they" have been saying that for nearly half a decade now. It's never materialized, and not because of the "MSM's control" , but because nobody's figured out how to seperate the crap from the good stuff while still maintaining a "neutral" state.

It's like with Podcasts. All the good podcasts nowadays, for the most part, are made by people with $1000s worth of equipment. When it started, everyone was talking about "the common man's radio" as if it was going to be that easy.

Now, we have people popping their Webcams up, but that's not going to be good enough for broadcast TV. So the question becomes, do you run with a $600 camera, or a $1500 camera?

So now, the internet TV is going to be cheap video vs quality video, and guess what'll get shown?

Iwantchange
01-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Hah.
Right.

If you boycotted fox to the fullest, you'd be really surprised at all the stuff you're going to be boycotting. For starters, you likely won't even be allowed on the internet.

True, but the only thing these companies understand is "money". You hit them in the wallet and they'll react. You hit them any where else and it's just a flesh wound.

NinjaPirate
01-31-2008, 11:03 AM

That's what I thought, but I don't have a lot of knowledge on how ratings stats are collected. I have DVR through my cable company, so unles my box tells them what I'm watching, then there's no way they know if I'm tuned into CNN, Faux, etc.

Dark_Horse_Rider
01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Cancel satellite or cable hook ups citing media BiaS

voytechs
01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
It happens NOW.

The problem is that there is very little entertaining alternative news. Investigating news is a huge effort. You need to have correspondents all over the world, unless you plan on parroting AP or something like that. If you do that then you already lock yourself into the Maxtrix as someone here has put it. We need a channel that reports completely different type of news, differently.

Serious news but entertaining, original. Today's news is purposely all negative, there are lots of positive news being made, except the war and economic. This is a big effort in my opinion. If its not done right, it will fail. Don't try and copy existing news channels.

This really needs to be a global consortium of similarly minded news outlets. They need to agree on some principles and never deviate from them. That would bring lots of credibility back into the news.

Redcard
That's what I thought, but I don't have a lot of knowledge on how ratings stats are collected. I have DVR through my cable company, so unles my box tells them what I'm watching, then there's no way they know if I'm tuned into CNN, Faux, etc.

It does.

It also tells them what you've recorded, what you watch in your recorder, how many commercials you skip past, how long you fast forward, and how many times you rewatch something.

Iwantchange
Introduce competition, but the FCC makes that hard. When this is all said and done I'm down with working toether to make our own tv station.

You know I've thought about this... It would be a hard long path, but if you could pull it off, it would be the revolution finally getting some high ground.

thehittgirl
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Ahhh a Rupert Murdoch company. I need to call and cancel them...we are suspended right now.

DAFTEK
01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by j0ew00ds View Post

Well that is somewhat true, not sure about DirectTV but with Dish Network if my DVR-722 is not connected to the phone line they suck another $6 a month from me, the receiver needs also to call out sometimes and thats how they know its not hooked up it also downloads the guide much faster that way too. Most people plug them in so they don't get the charge, you also have to have it plugged in to get PPV events. And some other crap, bill info etc... With Cable TV they don't need a phone line to know the channel your box is on, also what proof is there that DirectTV and Dish does not have the capabilities to get the info from you via Sat, from what i read on most forums no one has proved that the sat systems are 1 ways only....

My bud is a cable guy and he told me their boxes upload info to their central computers for data purposes blah blah crap. When i asked him if that includes what you watch his answer was "What do you think" It also sends the PPV request that way and other crap like local weather.

PAULinSC
01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's my take:

Who controls the media? Big Business.
Who controls the government? Big Business.

In order to have a "Revolution" we need to let Big Business know that we as consumers are in control. We control what we buy, when we buy it, and how much we buy.

We need a boycott. Not just a boycott of specific sponsors, a boycott of the luxuries in life. We need to save money, stop overconsuming, and put our money in local community banks. No more money in the stock market or big banks. We need to base our Revolution around saving money and being frugal.

The recession we are seeing in our economy is based on people over-consuming. There's no savings anymore, it's all bought on credit. We need to get out from under our debt.

We need to show that this recession can be prolonged NOT because we don't have money to spend, but because we CHOOSE NOT TO BUY things that aren't necessary.

If there's one thing that Big Business listens to, it's their quarterly reports. It would need to be known that the recession would be prolonged due simply to a MASSIVE number of unified citizens saying "We aren't gonna take this anymore! You are here because of us!"

Calling sponsors and news stations is mainly seen as a scare tactic. We need this to be an organized, long-term effort.

Our nation has been corrupted by Big Business and the Banks for almost 100 years. If it's all about money, we need to band together in a much larger group than we currently have, and let them know that we are in control of the money.

The American revolution started the same way. It started with a boycott due to unjust taxes. We need to adopt the same principles and take back our country

Mortikhi
01-31-2008, 01:49 PM
How very true.

STOP BUYING SHIT!

Captain Shays
01-31-2008, 02:00 PM
First we need to continue our nation wide boycott not of Fox themselves, but every one of their advertisers.

Second one goes along with it.

ROADSIDE BLOGS

We're pretty good at making signs. We need to continue them but not just for Ron Paul. We need to be issue specific.

Boycott Fox Advertisers signs all over the place. Everywhere a Fox News empolyee might see them. Everywhere a Fox advertiser might see them. Keep it up indefinatly.

Issue Blogs stating things like

"Don't Let Corporate Media Choose Our Candidates"

"Let's Stay In Iraq For 100 Years. Vote McCain"

"Hillary Not Anti War Just Anti Republican War"

(same for Obama)

"Ron Paul, You and Me Against The Corporate Power Elites"

"You Have Been Dumbed Down"

"I'll Give Up ALL My Freedom Then I'll Be Safe"

We could come up with hundreds more sayings like bumper stickers everyone will see and read.

Put them high up in trees and other places where it will be really difficult to take them down by those who disagree. Put them in high traffic areas.

Of course we should do this for Ron Paul's campaign.

Things like

The Corporations Don't Want You To Know About Ron Paul

The Military INdustrial Complex Has Chosen Your Cansisate"