PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Gun Shows

jasonhlasvegas
08-05-2007, 07:49 PM
The regional coordinator for HQ gave us a great idea. He suggested we attend Gun Shows. Well, our Las Vegas group did that today and yesterday and I think it was a big hit. We talked to about 30-60 people at length, and handed out about 200 flyers. We registered about 10-15 people to the Republican party. If you have upcoming Gun Shows in your state I highly suggest acquiring a booth it will be a big hit. Most of the people we encountered were really turned on by Ron Paul's message. We got about 2 converts to actually join our MeetUp group because of it.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Most people at Gun Shows are fairly knowledgeable on politics and would tend to support Ron Paul IMO. Great idea.

lucius
08-05-2007, 08:26 PM
This is a great idea! We have a big one where I live at the end of August and I will be there.

mtmedlin
08-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Here in Lakleland, Fl. we just did this over a two day period. We handed out over 700 fliers (Gun Owners of America literature on RP) and had many people who didn't take our brochures because they already knew RP and supported him. It was simple, we just said "RP is a congressman from Texas that in over 20 years of services have never voted for a federal restriction to gun ownership." and instantly we had their attention. It was a very positive but shocking event for me. I wasn't surprised that his message was so well received, but what shocked me was how few people had heard of RP. We really must do everything we can to get his name recognition higher. Out of all the people that I talked to, we only had two negative comments. One, he wants us to lose the war and two, he will take away votes from the real winners and therefore its a wasted vote. I really didn't try to save those two because we were making too much headway with everybody else. Overall, gun shows are great for RP.

abstrusezincate
08-05-2007, 08:40 PM
We've been doing this out in Pennsylvania and we've had great success. I definitely recommend both that and networking with the Gun Owners of America.

po14015
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
We got new members to join and they came a week later to our Sat sign waving.
This is a MUST!!!!!!!

We handed out 600 plus GOA flyers/Slim Jim Combo.
This is my post to Florida Organizers:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My group got a table at the a Gun Show for Sat and Sun.

It was a great event to spread Ron Paul's name. I would say that it was the most productive event that I have been in. We spent $85 but got as many FREE passes as we wanted for people working our table. So in the end, that paid for us to be there. Also, we sold a lot of shirts and signs.

We handed out the GOA flyer and slim jims together. We only had two types of people. People who knew who he was, and people who didn't. The people who knew who he was were stunned when they first saw our table. (Many of these people came wearing shirts and were from some of your group's area.) They would say a few things and then go see the rest of the show. Then they came back and were EXCITED! It took a few minutes for it to sink in. We had 100 shirts, 30 premade signs, 200 bumper stickers, slim jims, and GOA flyers on the table. I will upload the photos on this group so you can see the table. You can also see it at www.ronpaulflorida.com/gun.html

The people who didn't know who he was seemed very interested. They want a person that they feel will really protect their gun owner's rights. And they are not finding it in any of the media's prescreened garbage. The biggest problem was that most people thought that he must be a 3rd party person because they had never heard of him. We try to stress the size of our local groups (100 plus), and the size of the rest of Florida's 40 plus groups with over 1,000 members.

What would we do to improve on it?

We would hang a banner saying something like "Ron Paul Protects Gun Owner Rights!" We would also print out several large font flyers of Ron Paul's quotes to put in frames on the table. We also might try turning the table so people can stand on both sides instead of behind it. We wanted to make a binder with info/news/quotes/Straight Talk to set on the table so people could flip through it. We are also ordering 100 shirts that say "Ron Paul's Idea of Gun Control is using Both Hands". A guy in our group made one at home and it went over really well. If your group would like one, they are going to cost around $7 each. Let me know so we can order more to get the price down some.

We had to go on Friday night when they were setting up to see if we could get a table. We were 5th on the list. They wanted to make sure that we were pro gun. We gave them some slim jims and were told that they had a table.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For the flyer or info on gun shows(mostly Florida) goto
http://www.ronpaulflorida.com/gun.html

http://www.ronpaulbradenton.com/ronpaul/gunsmall.jpg
Gun Show Table
Shirts, signs, wrist bands all from
RonPaulStuff.com
http://www.ronpaulstuff.com

Joe Knows
08-05-2007, 09:33 PM
One, he wants us to lose the war and two, he will take away votes from the real winners and therefore its a wasted vote.

You can never waste a vote in a primary. A primary is for the purpose of voting for the candidate that most represents your viewpoint.

Man from La Mancha
08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
What about telling them the low percentage that Carter had when he started running yet won. I think someone said Carter only had 1% in June prior to the in June prior to the primary.

ksuguy
08-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I've got plans to do the same thing. However, we won't be having any gun shows in town until next month.

jasonhlasvegas
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
The movement is growing.

We had a very enthusiastic response.

That's me in the blue shirt.

http://www.safety-video-bmsh.com/assets/images/safety-video-sitepic2008.jpeg

trispear
08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
One of the East Coast's best regular Gun Show's is in Allentown, PA. This is very large! It is done by the Forks of the Delaware Society, and it is held on Fri-Sun. A hundred yards over is a Farmer's Market that is open Fri-Sat so you get a very decent sized crowd on Saturday (no public Friday).

This show is packed, and you need to order tables ahead of time, it is like $40. The next show is in October and then 6 weeks later one in December. You would have to order tables now for the October show because the way I know this show, you won't get anything after August. You get 2-3 passes with a table.

But I really recommend going! This is a very good show, in a very large hall with a good amount of people!

Also, in the parking lot of both the gun show and farmer's market, you can pass out those car flyers, slim jims or what not.

http://www.allentownshow.net/gunshow_schedule.htm

(If anyone is planning something there, please tell me:)

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 11:43 PM
I went to a gunshow in Glendale last weekend...
Not much of a "gun" show - but I think getting a booth at one wouldn't be too hard next time around.

4Horsemen
08-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Here in Lakleland, Fl. we just did this over a two day period. We handed out over 700 fliers (Gun Owners of America literature on RP) and had many people who didn't take our brochures because they already knew RP and supported him. It was simple, we just said "RP is a congressman from Texas that in over 20 years of services have never voted for a federal restriction to gun ownership." and instantly we had their attention. It was a very positive but shocking event for me. I wasn't surprised that his message was so well received, but what shocked me was how few people had heard of RP. We really must do everything we can to get his name recognition higher. Out of all the people that I talked to, we only had two negative comments. One, he wants us to lose the war and two, he will take away votes from the real winners and therefore its a wasted vote. I really didn't try to save those two because we were making too much headway with everybody else. Overall, gun shows are great for RP.

Isn't the largest gun show of the year in Lakeland this Sept.?

Roxi
08-16-2007, 12:06 AM
were doing one this weekend in tulsa, its supposed to be one of the biggest in the country... the 4x8 signs we got in ames are going to serve well here too. Anyone in oklahoma want to help?

ksuguy
08-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I didn't think the big Wannemacher show in Tulsa was until September or October. Maybe they have a smaller one in August.

Brandybuck
08-17-2007, 11:49 PM
You can never waste a vote in a primary. A primary is for the purpose of voting for the candidate that most represents your viewpoint.
It's the same with the general election. If you're not voting for the candidate that most represents your viewpoint, you're not doing it right. It's voting for the lesser evil that got us into this mess. I don't care if it ends up being Hillary versus a neocon, I'm I won't vote for either!

Matt Collins
08-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I think the Nashville meetup group did a gun show a few months ago and had mixed results.

Paul4Prez
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Our Meetup group (Irvine, CA) went all out at the big Crossroads of the West gun show at the Orange County fairgrounds this weekend. We had three booths and about 15 members each day handing out slim jims, flyers on his pro-gun record, DVDs, bumper stickers, etc.

Here's the calendar for more Crossroads of the West shows this year:

http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm

The good news: Most people were very receptive to Ron Paul's message (not surprisingly.) Most people would at least take a slim jim and read it, and some wanted more detailed information, or asked about specific issues -- mostly immigration. I only had ONE person tell me they were already supporting another candidate (Fred Thompson). I don't think the hardcore conservative/pro-Constitution types at gun shows have decided on a candidate yet. No one mentioned Giuliani or Romney at all.

The not-so-good news/opportunity: Many people had not heard of Ron Paul, or didn't know that he was running for president, or for what party, or where he stood on the issues. We still have a lot of work to do between now and the primaries, and time is running out.

SWATH
08-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Might be a good idea to have F. Thompson's anti-gun voting record on hand.

Roxi
08-26-2007, 03:19 PM
we had a gun show in tulsa the weekend of the 18th.. it went great!

Paul4Prez
08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Here's a great summary of Ron Paul's pro-2nd Amendment record:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/gunowners/

It works as a flyer if you print it out.

dircha
08-26-2007, 03:31 PM
It's the same with the general election. If you're not voting for the candidate that most represents your viewpoint, you're not doing it right. It's voting for the lesser evil that got us into this mess. I don't care if it ends up being Hillary versus a neocon, I'm I won't vote for either!

Well, actually it's voting on principal that got us into this mess. If Nader voters in the 2000 election had voted for Gore (47%) and Bush (22%) instead, George W Bush would never have become President (I say "become", not "elected").