PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee, Paul stress they are part of Republican race

Bradley in DC
01-31-2008, 08:44 AM
http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/01/30/huckabee-paul-stress-they-are-part-of-republican-race/

Huckabee, Paul stress they are part of Republican race
January 30th, 2008, filed by Jeremy Pelofsky

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - Much of the attention in the race for the Republican presidential nomination has narrowed to Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, apparently irking rivals former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

As McCain and Romney stressed their conservative credentials at a debate Wednesday night at the Ronald Reagan presidential library, Huckabee tried to get a word in — and Paul interjected, too, both with little success.

“There are a number of pieces of legislation where his views are out of the mainstream, at least in my view, of conservative Republican thought,” Romney said, chastizing McCain for his initial support for giving amnesty to illegal immigrants and opposing drilling for oil in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge.

McCain shot back that Romney raised taxes as governor and the state saw large manufacturing jobs disappear. “I’m proud of my conservative record. It’s one of reaching across the aisle to get things done for Americans,” McCain said.

When Huckabee was asked a different question, he tried to steer the conversation back to highlight his conservative credentials.

“You want to talk conservative credentials? Let me get in on that,” Huckabee said, and then described his opposition to abortion and gay rights. After McCain and Romney clashed bitterly over the Iraq war, Huckabee said: “I didn’t come here to umpire a ballgame between these two.”

“Governor Huckabee, we’re going to shower you with questions now,” moderator Janet Hook of the Los Angeles Times said.

It didn’t make much difference, and he was soon complaining he had not been showered with questions. “I’m going to make sure I get a little time here.”

Paul, who has not won any of the early primary contests but still has raised millions of dollars from supporters, was not able to detail his credentials. “I would like to take one minute, since I didn’t get a chance to answer this discussion on conservative versus liberal,” he said.

Moderator Anderson Cooper promised him he would have an opportunity later. But it never came.

Cinderella
01-31-2008, 08:56 AM
ya it was dissapointing.....but Dr. Paul did make his points in the 7 minutes of total air time they gave him