PDA

View Full Version : This thing is NOT OVER UNTIL THE CONVENTION!

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or playing to the trolls, period.

We don't elect the president, the electoral college does. Likewise, despite the rise of the primary system (within some of our lifetimes), we don't nominate the party candidates--delegates do. Period. There are things going on behind the scenes there. Each state has rules about who delegates do or don't have to vote for when and why.

Yes, we need all the popular vote we can get. If you don't understand the delegate system (or even if you do) keep canvassing and making signs and doing the phone bank. But keep some faith in your fellow Paulies because you know there's a bunch of really smart, really patriotic people here quietly and stealthily playing each state's system for all it's worth. Faith, people, not doom and gloom. I guarantee you the fat lady ain't gonna sing until September!

Yes, your freedom of speech gives you the right to wail and pull your hair and gnash your teeth and tell everyone we're doomed. Likewise, ours gives us the right to call you a troll--and rightly so. But this thing ain't gonna end until they carry us out of the convention hall in St. Paul--and if you think we can't possibly crown our St. Paul in St. Paul, you're underestimating us as badly as the G.O.P. party hacks!

"Oh ye of little faith! If you had enough true faith to fill a tiny mustard seed, you could say to that mountain, move from there to here, and it would move. Nothing would be impossible for you." Do I really need to attribute this quote?

DrCap
01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
I disagree, it's not over until November !!!
We have almost a whole year to fight this fight.
And the crashing economy will be our friend.

(I always wanted to be called a troll, since prior to this forum I didn't know what that meant.)

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
I disagree, it's not over until November !!!
We have almost a whole year to fight this fight.
And the crashing economy will be our friend.

(I always wanted to be called a troll, since prior to this forum I didn't know what that meant.)

Bet you thought they live under bridges. Turns out they live in gated communities!

November indeed. I was referring to the nomination. Yes, if we don't take the G.O.P. back for the people (and that's a BIG if), I'll be circulating a petition to get our man on our ballot independently. And let me tell you, if we can meet the standard in Oklahoma, there are forty-five other states where y'all have no excuse whatever.

That said, I really don't think it will come to that. Keep converting the Republican primary voters, keep looking up your state delegate rules, and keep thinking. On to the nomination!

Todd
01-31-2008, 09:12 AM
who are you all foolin'....this isn't going to be over regardless of we win or lose a stupid Presidential election in November. What we've accomplished here in under a year should have effects on the political establishment for decades....if we keep at it. This can be carried to all levels of the Republican party.

Cinderella
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
im one of the people who doesnt really understand the whole delgate thing....how does this work?? does Dr. Paul still have a chance?? are these super tuesday states winner takes all?? can someone please explain this to me?? and tell me how we still have a chance to bring our hero to the white house??

PC_for_Paul
01-31-2008, 09:24 AM
This is how the Convention should go
instead of walking in we shoul dbe alking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVf0LQ2J1RI

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
im one of the people who doesnt really understand the whole delgate thing....how does this work?? does Dr. Paul still have a chance?? are these super tuesday states winner takes all?? can someone please explain this to me?? and tell me how we still have a chance to bring our hero to the white house??

Well, I can't tell you how your state works--especially since you didn't tell me what state it is. The simple version is, when primary caucusers or voters elect delegates, those delegates have a duty to represent them, and are sometimes bound to vote for a certain candidate. In some cases this can change, and the delegates can become "unbound" and vote their consciences--after a couple of rounds of voting, or when their candidate drops out, or etc. depending on state.

Has your state done it's primary yet? Get with your local meetup! You could be a delegate or alternate to your state G.O.P. convention just like me! Ron Paul volunteerism is at work on the surface and below it. Believe.

We really don't need to get more specific, and I will not get more specific concerning my state. Loose lips sink ships, and all that. But you should all check into your state G.O.P. rules and find out how you can be a delegate, too. Then vote as the rules say--and if the rules say you're "unbound", that means get our man in!

Bradley in DC
01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
What we need to do to be nominated at the convention:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104384

Summary of state rules (including how delegates are bound):

http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

JMO
01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
My friend at work keeps asking me if I gave up yet, I said NO!.

blakjak
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
My friend at work keeps asking me if I gave up yet, I said NO!.

haha, i get the same comments:
"jason, your guy's not doing very good"
"jason, what's up with your guy..."
"i guess he's done, huh?"

Michigan11
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
This fight will never be over, ever

JordanQ72
01-31-2008, 05:59 PM
We don't elect the president, the electoral college does. Likewise, despite the rise of the primary system (within some of our lifetimes), we don't nominate the party candidates--delegates do. Period. There are things going on behind the scenes there. Each state has rules about who delegates do or don't have to vote for when and why.

I know of no state that sends completely unbound delegates. As it stands, McCain can mathematically lock in a 1st round ballot win by February 24th. Paul might very well be participating in the general election, but not as the Republican nominee unless we literally have candidates die.