PDA

View Full Version : On the tone used in these forums.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 05:35 AM
I picked up a couple of quotes from this thread.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=106675

I think many people would appreciate if everyone could find a less obscene way to express frustration. Such uncouth language is rarely called for and we have many people who are not juveniles and may be socially conservative wandering through here. Have some respect.

I fully agree on this comment. We need to act more civilized and we have to understand the social codes that makes a community strong and inclusive and that can attract people from any walk of life.

Then comes this response:

first amendment rights, broseph...RP would not approve of any limits on language...

I seriously hope that you, RPinUptownChi, never runs for a public office or another position of trust because you will only get disappointed.

Ron Paul does not believe in regulating our lives. He believes that society (that's us) will take care of this on its own. Then of course those who don't want anarchy or an unfriendly society has to take responsibility. I'm one of those. Please know the value of getting yourself a good reputation. The campaign needs it.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
This is partly a self bump :o I wish to thank the one giving this a 5 rating. It's a relief to see that someone agrees with me on this issue.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2008, 06:46 AM
I agree with you too.

I don't even want to know how many people we have driven away from Ron Paul because some of us aren't able to construct a sentence without profanity. Couple that with bashing old people and Christians. You know, the very people we MUST get on-board or we are going to lose.

With freedom, comes responsibility.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
01-31-2008, 06:48 AM
So we should spend our time less than a week from Super Tuesday worrying about "tone" in our own forum?

Dan Klaus
01-31-2008, 07:04 AM

QFT...agreed..

jcims
01-31-2008, 07:06 AM
So we should spend our time less than a week from Super Tuesday worrying about "tone" in our own forum?

Yes...because it's an embarrassment.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 07:12 AM

Yes I do think that. We should make that a part of our profile so to attract new voters.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2008, 07:12 AM

No need to worry, we just need action.

Rob
01-31-2008, 07:54 AM
It's an interesting point, however, what we do in the real world is much more important than what goes on here.

However, we should always use a respectful tone when talking to possible voters if for no other reasons than its more effective than shouting and throwing snowballs at Hannity.

Scott Wilson
01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
I completely agree with the first post.

Presentation is very important in this world whether you believe it or not.

Kingfisher
01-31-2008, 08:00 AM
BUT if I dont use foul language how will you know how tough I am?

Briggsy
01-31-2008, 08:29 AM

Priceless.

Digital Trash talk Makes me better than you.

a little off the topic, but while playing Halo 3 the other night I was playing with a kid who died and said "that was erroneus". And nothing else. I got a big kick out of a kid using that kind of terminology instead of dropping several F-Bombs. I instantly sent him a friend invite.

WilliamC
01-31-2008, 08:33 AM

Just try being bombastic and ostentatious instead of crass and vulgar.

http://thesaurus.reference.com is your friend ;)

FreeTraveler
01-31-2008, 08:37 AM

Yes, because every conservative that comes here to learn about Dr. Paul and gets turned off by the language is ONE LESS VOTE that he gets.

SHAME on those of you who have THROWN your vote away by chasing away other votes that Dr. Paul should have received.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Post a picture of yourself. ;)

Redcard
01-31-2008, 09:02 AM

Yes, because it translates almost PERFECTLY into how you act in the "real world."

You think people are calling us whacko, unclean, and unprofessional for reasons different than what is apparent here?

The actions you take online , in groupthink, will translate offline.

So yes, it's worth working on.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 09:12 AM
a little off the topic, but while playing Halo 3 the other night I was playing with a kid who died and said "that was erroneus". And nothing else. I got a big kick out of a kid using that kind of terminology instead of dropping several F-Bombs. I instantly sent him a friend invite.

I'd say that you're very ON topic.

Greenskin
01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
The internet is serious business guys

acptulsa
01-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Depends. Do you want those people who have gotten disgusted with the two idiot front-runners to find this site as much reason not to vote for the doctor as the MSM is giving them?

Original_Intent
01-31-2008, 09:39 AM
These small kinds of things certainly make an impression, and give you an idea of the quality of people that you are around.

I lurked on HucksArmy for a few weeks and I can tell you in no uncertain terms, that most of them, if they had an interest in checking out Ron Paul and came to these forums, they would have left screaming and covering their virtual ears.

Now, I am guessing that some of the tough guys ar going to respond with something like "Fine! We don't need prissies and their virgin ears around here anyway!"

See it is that high school mentality that essentially says "I am the way I am and if that ain't good enough for somebody else, that is THEIR PROBLEM."

No, you are wrong, because YOU and your children are going to suffer under the regime of the next president just as much as those "prissies". But because you had to show everyone that you could use your 1st amendment rights in the most vulgar way possible, you share responsibility for every potential voter that has left because of the atmosphere we set here.

And I am not without some of that blame, I have dropped a few "F-U Franks" etc myself. It's not a winning strategy.

Bradley in DC
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I agree with you too.

I don't even want to know how many people we have driven away from Ron Paul because some of us aren't able to construct a sentence without profanity. Couple that with bashing old people and Christians. You know, the very people we MUST get on-board or we are going to lose.

We should do everything we can to win as many votes as we can. :)

Redcard
01-31-2008, 09:49 AM
We should do everything we can to win as many votes as we can. :)

And I can't wait for people to come in and say things like "But that's PANDERING to the sheeple!?!?"

Well, guess what.

The election is won in many primaries the same way all elections are.

Whoever gets the most of those people to vote for you, wins.

That's it. We got 3% in Florida. We're losing. If you don't want to "pander" to "the sheeple", then, when this is over, look in the mirror and you'll see the reason we lost.

To win over this country , we're not going to slide in through some obscure rule and we're not going to "infiltrate the delegates" at a brokered convention. To win over this country, we need to win the hearts and minds of the people you call "Sheeple."

So, please, instead of alienating them, calling them stupid, or any number of other things you've done to justify your own superiority.. work on bringing them to our side and educating them.

Even if this election ends for us in under a week or so.. we still need congressmen and women.