PDA

View Full Version : Is Brownback the Winner?

Joe Knows
08-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I thought you all might like to see what is coming out of the Brownback camp. I just got this email a few minutes ago. This is an official email from the Brownback campaign. Isn't this a crock?

Brownback Wins ABC News Iowa Debate!
Sunday, August 6, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa

Senator Brownback Shows Strength, Character, and Expertise in Wide-Range of Issues in run up to Iowa Straw Poll

Brownback Challenges Romney On Abortion And Easily Wins:

The beginning of the debate started off with fireworks, as Senator Brownback easily defended phone calls informing Iowa voters of Romney's various and ever-changing views on abortion. Below is a transcript:

ANNOUNCER: Mitt Romney is telling Iowans that he is firmly pro-life. Nothing could be further from the truth. As late as 2005, Mitt Romney pledged to support and uphold pro-abortion policies and pass taxpayer funding of abortions in Massachusetts. His wife, Ann, has contributed money to Planned Parenthood. Mitt told the National Abortion Rights Action League that, "You need someone like me in Washington." (END AUDIO CLIP)

STEPHANOPOULOS: "Senator Brownback, do you stand by that attack?" ;

BROWNBACK: "I certainly do. There's one word that describes that ad, and it's "truthful." That's a truthful ad. And that's what campaigns are about, too, George, is for as far as getting the truth out, expressing the differences between candidates...That's a truthful ad. I am pro-life. I think this is a core issue for our party. I think it's a big issue for our country. I'm pro-life and I'm whole life. I think that all life at all stages is sacred and it's beautiful. I think it's something we ought to fight for, it's what this party has stood for, it's what we should stand for."

When asked to refute the claim, Mitt Romney said: "Virtually nothing in that ad is true." When asked what part of the ad was not true, Romney said: "The idea that, for instance, I've been in favor of taxpayer funding of abortion; that's wrong. I oppose taxpayer funding of abortion.

However, ABC News quickly pointed out in a fact check that Mitt Romney was wrong, and that Romney had advocated taxpayer funding of abortion.

"But according to a article published by the Boston Globe March 25, 2005, a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood indicates that Romney said he "professed support for state funding of abortion services for low-income women" when answering a Planned Parenthood questionnaire." Click Here to Read the Boston Globe Article.

Ed Rogers, a Republican Strategist, said Mitt Romney made a mistake attempting to desperately defend himself against the truth: "I'm a little bit surprised that Romney would let himself get into sort of an angry exchange with Brownback," said Rogers. "If you have to find a mistake in the debate, that was it." (Associated Press, Analysis: GOP Rivals Walk Delicate Line, 8/5/07)

Brownback: I'll Overturn Roe v. Wade as President!

Senator Brownback made it a point during the debate to declare he wants to be the president that will overturn Roe v. Wade. Senator Brownback has a proven track record on the issue -- he has always been pro-life, and led the fight to get strict constructionist justices on the Supreme Court such as Justices Roberts and Alito.

STEPHANOPOULOS: "Senator Brownback, what would you restore to the Oval Office?"

BROWNBACK: "Rebuilding the family. You know, in Washington, D.C., right now, 63 percent of the children are born out of wedlock. Nationwide, the number is 36 percent. You can raise a good child in that setting, but it gets more difficult. The best place is between a mom and a dad bonded together for life. I would stand for life. And I would appoint the next justice I hope would be the voting decision to overturn Roe v. Wade."

Brownback Explains How He Will Win the War in Iraq as President

Senator Brownback showed that he is the candidate offering new ideas and a new solution toward winning the War in Iraq by offering a "political surge" to match the military surge. Here is a transcript:

BROWNBACK: "There's another piece to this as well. And that is, is that you've got the military performing, I think, very well, doing an outstanding job, but the political situation continues to deteriorate on the ground in Iraq. You've got the Iraqi politicians not even meeting now. You've got a weak leadership that's taking place there. I think the key missing element here is political resolve on the ground. We need a political surge, like Thomas Friedman has written about. We need to put a three-state solution in place, like was in Iraq prior to World War I, where you have a north that's Kurdish, which is right now; a west that's Sunni, which is right now; and a Shia south, with Baghdad as the federal city. A weak, soft partition: that's the piece missing..."

Brownback Shows Leadership and Expertise in Foreign Policy

Brownback: "George, I think you're seeing clearly from the discussion here and this week that words of a president matter. When Ronald Reagan says, "Mr. Gorbachev, bring down this wall," that mattered. When he called the Soviet Union an evil empire, that mattered. Words of our leader matter, and you have to matter within the context of where we are. We are in a generational conflict with militant Islamists. That's where we are. We are at war. We're a nation at war. I think we have to be very realistic about this war. We have a number of allies in the Islamic world. We have a number of allies around the world. It is something important what we say and the direction we go. I think we push democracy, but I think we have to be realistic in the places that we push and at the time we push it. You push democracy in Pakistan or Egypt right now, you're going to get a radicalized governm ent in Pakistan, a radicalized government in Egypt and you're going to have a nuclear-weaponed, radical government in Pakistan."

Senator Brownback Lays Out his Optional Flat Tax

Senator Brownback's optional flat-tax is a very popular proposal. You can read more extensively about it in an op-ed by Senator Brownback published in Real Clear Politics. Here is what the Senator had to say about the optional flat-tax in today's debate:

BROWNBACK: "I think we need to move toward an optional flat tax. I think we need to go to flat taxes. And let me just say why here. We've got a problem with the current tax code and we've tried to take it out. And every time you try to take it out, everybody comes to defend it that has something in it. You can put an optional flat tax in the tax code and let people choose. And it will create economic growth. That's why 16 countries have already gone to a flat tax: It creates growth. Growth is the key for us in this economy for us to get things moving forward."

Brownback: Let's Fix America's Health Care System

Senator Brownback articulately explained how America can fix the health care system through a market-based approach as to avoid a socialized government takeover of the health care system:

BROWNBACK: "The piece of it that I think you have to recognize is that you've got a fundamental decision to make here on health care, which is 16 percent of the economy, going north fast, probably headed to 20 percent of our total economy. Do you think the solution to providing more and better health care is, one, that we should have more government solutions involved, or should there be more market-based solutions involved? And I think clearly the answer here is you need more market forces in health care. That's what we need to do. Instead, you've got the Democrats doing a step-by-step march toward a socialized one government-pay system. And they're very happy to do it that way. But we can get better health care going this way. And we can hold the price of it down and not bust the federal treasury at the same time."

Straw Poll Countdown: 6 days!

The Iowa Straw Poll in Ames is just 6 days away!

Please contribute $35 and help finance the cost of a ticket for an Iowa voter to cast their straw poll ballot for Brownback! A strong showing in the Straw Poll will send a clear message to Republican voters across America: Senator Brownback is the balanced conservative who will lead the Republican Party to victory in 2008!

If you live in the state of Iowa and would like to signup for a FREE ticket to the Straw Poll to support Sam, please click here.

njandrewg
08-05-2007, 06:12 PM
at this point these 2nd tier guys need to make a splash to try to get votes...this was Brownback's "I've never heard such a ridiclious statement"

Razmear
08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I'll give Brownback credit for slapping down Romney, and given that they didn't ask Ron any questions, I can give him the win on this debate.
The big plus is Romney, McCain and Rudy all came away from this debate looking worse then they did before they entered.

eb

ThePieSwindler
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Wow how did brownback get so much time? he answered like 7 issues, ron paul got to talk about 1 real issue and 1 trivial "issue" (something about dick cheney).

Joe Knows
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
The big plus is Romney, McCain and Rudy all came away from this debate looking worse then they did before they entered.

eb

I agree. Romney, McCain, and Rudy came off looking like the 3 Stooges.

ThePieSwindler
08-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree. Romney, McCain, and Rudy came off looking like the 3 Stooges.

Can't wait until the august 20th debate then! Its them 3 and Ron Paul. Its almost unfair :p

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, DJLoti interviewed Brownback on Ron Paul Radio, let's ask him!

;)

rg123
08-05-2007, 06:30 PM
No brownback did not win this debate Ron said more in 30 sec of the first question
he was asked than anyother candidate in the entire debate. Besides Brownback has been attempting to copy some of Ron postitions but is a terrible copy

freelance
08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Looks like Brownback's PR team earned their pay today! That's what a campaign's PR folks are supposed to do for their candidate.

I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the top three today. Objectively, I don't think that they weren't at the top of game.

I was impressed with how Huckabee handled himself, but since it was The Huckabee Hour, he had all the time in the world to cogitate on solving the problems of the world.

Dary
08-05-2007, 06:34 PM
>I think that all life at all stages is sacred and it's beautiful.

Except maybe for Iraqi lives.

>I oppose taxpayer funding of abortion.

But I do support taxpayer funded bombing, and if that bomb happens to fall on a pregnant Iraqi... Whoops! My bad.

>Brownback: I'll Overturn Roe v. Wade as President!

Incredible. How is he gonna do that? I didn't know that a president had that kind of authority. Stupid me.

>63 percent of the children are born out of wedlock...

Forced marriage. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

>the political situation continues to deteriorate on the ground in Iraq...

In the air, not so much. Or on the sea. But on the ground, definitely. Definitely on the ground. I like K-Mart.

>We are at war. We're a nation at war...
An undeclared, unprovoked, illegal, and immoral war, but a war none-the-less.

richard1984
08-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't think that there was an actual "debate" to win. "Winning," in this case, basically means, "Who did you like the most?" And if this is the case, then, of course, Ron Paul wins. We love Ron Paul! (we don't love Brownback--he ain't no Ron Paul)

(note: I'm biased as hell. ;) )

BuddyRey
08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Brownback made all his bones by picking on Mitt's perfectly tenable previous position on abortion and defended moral absolutism like a good little theocrat (not that Mitt isn't one too, just pointing out the fact that these types don't mind eating their own if it gives them the chance to grandstand.)

I'm glad DjLoTi confronted him so we could all see his true colors.

Badger Paul
08-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Romney actually slapped down Brownback by calling him a "holier-than-thou" and got good applause for it which reinforced Brownback's image as a humorless prick (he remainds my of Margaret Hamilton's character Elmyra Gulch in the Wizard of Oz before she became the Wicked Witch of the West). Brownback may have been factually right but so long as Romney can say "Hey I changed my mind. Are you saying a can't change my mind?" he'll win that exchange in the end.

scrosnoe
08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Brownback made all his bones by picking on Mitt's perfectly tenable previous position on abortion and defended moral absolutism like a good little theocrat (not that Mitt isn't one too, just pointing out the fact that these types don't mind eating their own if it gives them the chance to grandstand.)

I'm glad DjLoTi confronted him so we could all see his true colors.

Brownback's arrogance came through loud and strong - you could feel it over the airwaves and it did not win any friends - and yet we need to keep an open door for him and his folkes in spite of it all, but my guess is he'll be in board with he highest bidder - guessing Romney when he falls . . .:rolleyes: