PDA

View Full Version : Did the forums crash?

spacebetween
08-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Or was it just me...

angelatc
08-05-2007, 05:45 PM
NO it was all of us, and some of the posts are a little out of order too.

Perry
08-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking hacked.

spacebetween
08-05-2007, 05:46 PM
NO it was all of us, and some of the posts are a little out of order too.

Ok, whew, I was so disappointed. It happened during the Fox News interview.

BREAK OUT THE TIN FOIL!

Just kidding. Don't do that. Please.

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
They were down for a couple of hours, I went into withdrawal.

Also when it did come back, my new message posts were being dated back by 5 hours or so... I relogged/rebooted...seems to work now.

CurtisLow
08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I could not open the forum web page for about 2hr.

0zzy
08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I thought someone hacked it. Thought Mit gave the orders to attack. :p

RPatTheBeach
08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking hacked.

Oh give me a f*&king break! Computers are not invincible... they do sometimes crash (hardware failures or otherwise). There is absolutely ZERO evidence the site was hacked.

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh give me a f*&king break! Computers are not invincible... they do sometimes crash (hardware failures or otherwise). There is absolutely ZERO evidence the site was hacked.

What if conspiracy theorists are part of a conspiracy to spread conspiracy theories?

What if there's a counter conspiracy afoot to quell conspiracy theorists?

I'm scared. :eek:

Johnnybags
08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
intelligence and waking up the Americans from their long, obese, slumber. He pulled the "internets" plug on us so the NSA could reconfigure the site to get better intelligence on us foreigners, look out for the black Tahoe out your window, its Uncle Charlie.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-05-2007, 05:56 PM

freelance
08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
There is absolutely ZERO evidence the site was hacked.

How do you tell the difference?

Unless the hacker puts up some crazy message, I wouldn't know the difference. When I attempted to log on, I got that standard database error. I've seen that error before when it was a legitimate problem and also when a site was hacked, so I'm just wondering how sitting there in Myrtle Beach, you can tell the difference.

TIA for the short, non-technical explanation, because I'm just not very computer savvy--kinda at the low end of the tech scale. SIGH!

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Unless the hacker puts up some crazy message, I wouldn't know the difference. When I attempted to log on, I got that standard database error. I've seen that error before when it was a legitimate problem and also when a site was hacked, so I'm just wondering how sitting there in Myrtle Beach, you can tell the difference.

TIA for the short, non-technical explanation, because I'm just not very computer savvy.

I think Josh Lowry did it! It was an inside job!

All that money spent on the website and server upkeep and the forums just happen to crash on his watch. That's seems a little suspicious to me.

BLS
08-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I doubt the site was hacked. Likely a service on the server stopped running or it flat out crashed. Typically when a site is hacked, you'll know all about it.

Slugg
08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, you can SAY that the forums weren't hacked. But you STILL can't explain Building 7!;)

Now THAT is FUNNY!!!! :D :D :D

Perry
08-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Yeah i think i know a little about computers thank you very much.
I'm a tech. You think hacking and shutting down servers is uncommon?:p
Get real. Wait until the political season really gets into gear. Thankfully 80% of the techs & coders are all on Ron Pauls side. lol

Anyway i never said it was hacked it just crossed my mind.

Brandybuck
08-05-2007, 06:03 PM
What if conspiracy theorists are part of a conspiracy to spread conspiracy theories?
If you lock ten conspiracy theoriests together in a room... you will get twelve conspiracy theories!

freelance
08-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks BLS.

I have seen sites that were hacked that displayed crazy messages, and we just got a database error when I tried to get on here. I'm afraid that "hacking" is way above my pay grade.

RPatTheBeach
08-05-2007, 06:09 PM

TIA for the short, non-technical explanation, because I'm just not very computer savvy--kinda at the low end of the tech scale. SIGH!

The error message that was presented to me upon visitation was produced by the web server indicating there was trouble communicating with the database.

If this is fair indication of a "hack"... it implies that a denial of service (DoS) attack is being performed on the database server. This basically means the server is unable to respond to requests because it is being flooded with responses faster than it can answer them.

A quick lookup on the site ownership shows that the site is hosted on a GoDaddy server. Anyone who has worked on with a GoDaddy account knows that their database servers reside on the same host/ip as the webserver. Therefore, if this DoS attack was being performed, the webserver would also be affected and not able to display the database communication error. It would, instead, alert you of a "Timeout error" when trying to reach the website.

That aside, the site recently came back online and there was no site defamation, no missing or corrupt data (aside from a couple timestamp complaints), or any other signs of foul play.

I'm not saying 100% the site wasn't hacked. But if it were, I would be quite surprised.

njandrewg
08-05-2007, 06:13 PM
what kind of hardware is this forum hosted on?

Perry
08-05-2007, 06:18 PM
The error message that was presented to me upon visitation was produced by the web server indicating there was trouble communicating with the database.

If this is fair indication of a "hack"... it implies that a denial of service (DoS) attack is being performed on the database server. This basically means the server is unable to respond to requests because it is being flooded with responses faster than it can answer them.

A quick lookup on the site ownership shows that the site is hosted on a GoDaddy server. Anyone who has worked on with a GoDaddy account knows that their database servers reside on the same host/ip as the webserver. Therefore, if this DoS attack was being performed, the webserver would also be affected and not able to display the database communication error. It would, instead, alert you of a "Timeout error" when trying to reach the website.

That aside, the site recently came back online and there was no site defamation, no missing or corrupt data (aside from a couple timestamp complaints), or any other signs of foul play.

I'm not saying 100% the site wasn't hacked. But if it were, I would be quite surprised.

Well a dos is not a hack but the principle is the same. It is an attack with the intent to do damage. At least hackers may leave your site up whereas a denial of service attack can bring a server to its knees.

Lord Xar
08-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Usually restarting the db and/or the servers usually fixes the issue. Sometimes an overload of the system will crash a server, but you would need I think, thousands on a server pounding it to actually effect such an issue.

SO to me... its a little curious why this happened at such a time.

I will withhold my opinioin until we hear from the administrator.

michaelwise
08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I just thought we overwhelmed the servers with all our excitement, so I just went to the bar and had a few beers.

freelance
08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I'm afraid that the sum total of my knowledge on hacking was reading a book about a bunch of kid hackers back in the early 90s.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I actually got some much needed and long neglected housework done. Maybe we should schedule one hour of silence every day! Naw.