PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney just announce he will not be advertising in any states for Super Tuesday.

TER
01-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Is this true? I read it in the Ron Paul WarRoom website.

wgadget
01-30-2008, 11:22 PM
You gotta be kidding...He's spent his entire wad? Geez.

TER
01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Thats how I read it. If this is true, this is HUGE!

Jae0
01-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Yah right!

NoPants
01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Link? Source?

TER
01-30-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.ronpaulwarroom.com/?p=3970

Goldwater Conservative
01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Most of the states are winner-take-all, whether statewide or by congressional district, and McCain is slightly to comfortably ahead of him in most states. He's bracing for a wipe-out.

The big positive out of this is that the establishment will probably mull over proportional allocation like the Dems use if the winner-take-all system lets McCain cruise to victory because of a divided opposition.

mexicanpizza
01-30-2008, 11:33 PM
That site is so idiotic, I will never visit it again. :D

Fields
01-30-2008, 11:33 PM
It's been on the news too. I'll find you guys some links shortly.

Jae0
01-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Most of the states are winner-take-all, whether statewide or by congressional district, and McCain is slightly to comfortably ahead of him in most states. He's bracing for a wipe-out.

The big positive out of this is that the establishment will probably mull over proportional allocation like the Dems use if the winner-take-all system lets McCain cruise to victory because of a divided opposition.

What states are winner takes all?

TER
01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
People, one last bump by me to see if there is any truth to this. This sounds to me to be a very important thing to consider if it is true.

Feelgood
01-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Wow, I got goose bumps after reading this. Skipped my way into the kitchen, dancing gleefully as I made it! Loved that article. Now, if it only comes true. :D

Vet_from_cali
01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
why would he advertise? HE GETS FREE ADVERTISEMENT FROM ALL THE MAJOR NETWORKS!

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jae0
01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh He'll advertise. He'll just wait till a day or two before the Primarys to do it.

TER
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM

Good point.

coffeewithchess
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Link to article talking about Romney not buying more advertising after Florida...

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzU1OWU4NzdkNjAyMDkyYzc2ZTdhY2Q4Y2JlMjBjMWQ=

TER
01-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks!

katiebaby
01-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Who's putting out the anti-John McCain ads that are set to start tomorrow?

kigol
01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
wow

the Winner is (R0N P@uL)
01-30-2008, 11:52 PM

BUMP

qh4dotcom
01-30-2008, 11:54 PM

Sounds too good to be true....but I hope it is!

jkm1864
01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Like He needs to He got alot of media attention for free unlike the home team. He does not need to spend another dime because his good looks and charm will carry him the rest of the may with most Americans.

Drknows
01-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Well he said hes not for sure. Maybe a secret strategy?

Created4
01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
The campaigns must report how much money they raised tomorrow, by law, and we will finally know how much of his campaign was financed out of his own pocket. So this may be true, as a way for him to combat the backlash that is going to come out of this. It would mean that Congressman Paul will be one of the few people advertising from here on out....

Goldwater Conservative
01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
What states are winner takes all?

Just off the top of my head, New York statewide and California by CD. I think Massachusetts is one of the few that's proportional.

Of course, caucuses are another matter entirely.

Edit: Here's the complete list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Tuesday_%282008%29#Republican

r3volution1776
01-31-2008, 12:16 AM

You do understand that if Romney doesnt do well, we lose! We need a brokered convention, its clear that it is the only way we get the nomination. Personally you should all be rooting for romney, because if mccain takes super tuesday, then we don't stand a chance at a brokered convention, like ron paul wants!

TER
01-31-2008, 12:20 AM
No one is saying Romney will not do well. We are just saying that he is starting to show signs of financial strain in regards to his campaign.

r3volution1776
01-31-2008, 12:24 AM
No one is saying Romney will not do well. We are just saying that he is starting to show signs of financial strain in regards to his campaign.

He has no financial strain, he has 200 million more to spend, the only way he stops spending is if he thinks its not worth the investment, he is not a moron, he does want the nomination, but isnt willing to waste the money, this is not a positive for us, we need romney in this or we don't stand a chance...

specsaregood
01-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Link to article talking about Romney not buying more advertising after Florida...

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzU1OWU4NzdkNjAyMDkyYzc2ZTdhY2Q4Y2JlMjBjMWQ=

Looks like he is attempting to take a page out of the Ron Paul campaign playbook.
From that link:
"There would be organizational efforts primarily for caucus states."

TER
01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
He has no financial strain, he has 200 million more to spend,

Do you really think a man who has made 200 million is stupid enough to spend ALL of his money for a less than 51% chance at becoming President, or were you just exaggerrating how much he might spend?

Goldwater Conservative
01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
You do understand that if Romney doesnt do well, we lose! We need a brokered convention, its clear that it is the only way we get the nomination. Personally you should all be rooting for romney, because if mccain takes super tuesday, then we don't stand a chance at a brokered convention, like ron paul wants!

If Romney and Huck get out, a lot of their supporters will either not show up at all or vote for Paul as a protest vote or out of genuine preference to McCain. A lot of the McCain supporters will also not show up because they think the contest has become uncontested. That leaves an opening for Paul to do well late in the season.

TER
01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
I really cant wait for Super Tuesday. The anticipation is killing me!

Fields
01-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Another AP article about his decision.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp

r3volution1776
01-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Do you really think a man who has made 200 million is stupid enough to spend ALL of his money for a less than 51% chance at becoming President, or were you just exaggerrating how much he might spend?

Im saying how much he has to spend, he wants this bad, he has already spent 40 million in the hopes, but he does realize that John mccain is winning in practically every state for super tuesday, and the fact that he is unwilling to spend more makes it look extremely bad for us and like he believes he has no chance, we need romney to do well, and him not spending money would imply that he doesn't think he would do well, which would imply that mccain would take all the delegates, and ron paul would be dead in the water, the strategy depends on a brokered convention and that won't happen if romney leaves.

r3volution1776
01-31-2008, 12:50 AM
If Romney and Huck get out, a lot of their supporters will either not show up at all or vote for Paul as a protest vote or out of genuine preference to McCain. A lot of the McCain supporters will also not show up because they think the contest has become uncontested. That leaves an opening for Paul to do well late in the season.

I hate to tell you that if romney and huck are out, we are dead in the water...Im not being pessimistic, just truthful, as the campaign emails state, we are looking for a brokered convention, which romney at least has to stay in for...

Give me liberty
01-31-2008, 12:51 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Rep. Ron Paul also remain in the Republican race, but the former is out of cash and the latter has proven to be a niche candidate whose greatest appeal is to the small percentage of GOP voters who oppose the Iraq War.

Whos out of cash? ron paul or mike :confused:
and a small small percentage of GOP voters who oppose the Iraq War really, i dont buy that one.

r3volution1776
01-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Rep. Ron Paul also remain in the Republican race, but the former is out of cash and the latter has proven to be a niche candidate whose greatest appeal is to the small percentage of GOP voters who oppose the Iraq War.

and a small small percentage of GOP voters who oppose the Iraq War really, i dont buy that one.

The sad fact is that the small percentage of GOP voters who oppose the iraq war is a reality, simply because they think that all the GOP candidates are pro war (they havent heard of RP) so they don't take the time to vote for a pro war candidate in the election, so they are not considered GOP VOTERS, and on top of that a majority of republicans are pro war also, over 50 percent.

mczerone
01-31-2008, 01:22 AM

htt p://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp

I broke that.

David Espo ranks us as all 'niche voters' who "only care about Iraq"

STFU

I Googled him quick: a 2005 freeper post saying he was showing Bias was number two.

vanadium
01-31-2008, 01:41 AM

The former (meaning the first listed, i.e. Huckabee) is out of cash according to the AP.

Meanwhile, McCain barely has any money. He ended up I believe 4.5M in the hole at the end of Q4 and got a $7M infusion since then leaving him with $3.5M. That's what some article I read earlier (but for the love of all that is good, I can't find) said earlier tonight.

Both Romney (who I'm pretty sure has a limit on how much of his personal wealth he'll spend) and McCain are on the ropes financially, Huckabee's getting close to the 'Danger Zone' financially (and doesn't have the depth of support we do), leaving Paul with the most cash flow overall. I'm almost certain that if you exclude Romney's own cash infusions, the FEC reports tomorrow are going to surprise folks.

We really need to keep on truckin' here and if things look dim, go Independent. Look at the Rasmussen poll posted here tonight and tell me Paul doesn't have a grand opportunity if things fall flat in the GOP race. We could effectively FORCE the entire Republican Party to bow to our own ends through Paul's influence (where he's showing up to an 11% vote--twice that of his GOP run where Dems, Libertarians, and Indies that didn't switch can't vote for him).

Rede
01-31-2008, 01:41 AM
If it's true, I bet its damage control for the financial reports due tomorrow and how much money he's given to his own campaign.

vanadium
01-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Rede, Romney can't obviously spend his entire fortune. I can only imagine the hell he already gets from his family for having spent as much as he has already. His Q4 report should be VERY interesting...

Keep in mind that folks like Giuliani (no longer applicable. ;)) and Romney already got a huge amount of $2300 donations, whereas Paul only has maybe a 2-3% max-out amongst his supporters so far. We have a LOT of room here financially to donate at Paul's whim and Romney doesn't unless he gets the nomination. McCain doesn't have real conservative support either based on the crosstabs of several primary states, which is going to play against him on Super Tuesday--just you watch. In states where crossover isn't allowed, he's going to be hit bigtime.

N13
01-31-2008, 01:48 AM
McCain needs to get swiftboated by MSM. A hot juicy Scandal like sex with young boys.

vanadium
01-31-2008, 01:50 AM
McCain needs to get swiftboated by MSM. A hot juicy Scandal like sex with young boys.

Someone needs to bring up his long-forgotten pork barrel spending and the Keating Five scandal. For him to claim he fights corruption and spending is like saying that Bush kept his promise for a 'humble foreign policy'. He only goes where the wind blows for what gives him most political advantage. Plus, he's freakin' clueless.

pacelli
01-31-2008, 01:51 AM
I think this may be part of a Romney campaign strategy to reduce the perception that he is trying to buy his nomination. I'm sure we'll see his personal appearances and phone banking amped up.

N13
01-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Someone needs to bring up his long-forgotten pork barrel spending and the Keating Five scandal. For him to claim he fights corruption and spending is like saying that Bush kept his promise for a 'humble foreign policy'. He only goes where the wind blows for what gives him most political advantage. Plus, he's freakin' clueless.

Whatever it is, now is the time to destroy him.

With his attitude and personality, he must have some serious enemies.

Swiftboating is a DC tradition.

vanadium
01-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Now is the time that the Paul campaign should be throwing $5M toward targeted Super Tuesday TV ad buys. I really believe he has a shot in a lot of the smaller states, but remember, even Alaska has 26 delegates.

Then another $5M carefully portioned to the subsequent states after ST, and $2-5M toward national buys to keep him in the voter's eyes before deciding whether to stay GOP or go Independent.

If he goes Independent, remember, we all reset back to $0 on our ability to donate as it's toward the General Election and we can donate all over again to that $2300 maximum. Something to think about.

Vet_from_cali
01-31-2008, 02:06 AM
seriously guys, i see something about him on the news 3-4 times a day(los angeles), same goes for mccain. why the hell would he need to spend money for advertisement if he is getting all this exposure FOR FREE! cmon, think about it. i dont think money is a issue, at this point in the game its prolly not even needed, super tuesday is really soon and he gots all the exposure he needs to pulls some good numberS. IF HE SPENDS ANYMORE MONEY ON ADVERTISEMENT, EVERYONE WOULD GET ANNOYED CAUSE HE WILL BE ON TV MONEY THAN BRITNEY!

GIVING YA STRAIGHT TALK!

Crickett
01-31-2008, 02:06 AM
In q3 he showed he was behind by over $17 million. But I do not believe that article. Both Mc and Rom have a good shot at the Presidency, and Yuck should keep praying and moving along.
BTW..those ads you can get to from this link are TOTALLY awesome! I sure wish I could have used them here, but they are about 1 minute each. They are free clear and powerful ads with Baldwin, and are really great.

Jim_Karr
01-31-2008, 02:35 AM
This could be the year for a 3rd party candidate to win.He could take votes from both side of the party who despises the other candidates. People hate McCain and Hillary. That would give the 3rd party candidate the win this year. I think Ron Paul will run 3rd party and is keeping it on the neg side to shock the hell out of the people. We will find out for sure of his chances when Huck or Romney drops out where the votes go. I would think that Huck will endorse Ron Paul when he drops out. Also Romney would also I do believe.

How many states left after super tuesday? If we get Hucks and Romneys endorsement after super tuesday if they lose we can win this nomination though. I don't think they want to be McCains VP. Especially Romney. Right now Ron Paul has a very nice hand and we need to keep him in money for this to happen. We need to make friends with Huck supporters though.
It is going to come down to the wire though and need their help. Honestly I would rather like to see Huck as Ron Pauls VP out of all the other candidates running. We are going to need their support with this. We should be talking with them. But we war with them instead. We are doing against what Ron Paul preaches about entangling alliances. We need to talk and trade ideas with them.Like if you trade your vote for Ron Paul we will vote for your favorite ice cream or something like that.:D

Vet_from_cali
01-31-2008, 02:47 AM
This could be the year for a 3rd party candidate to win.He could take votes from both side of the party who despises the other candidates. People hate McCain and Hillary. That would give the 3rd party candidate the win this year. I think Ron Paul will run 3rd party and is keeping it on the neg side to shock the hell out of the people. We will find out for sure of his chances when Huck or Romney drops out where the votes go. I would think that Huck will endorse Ron Paul when he drops out. Also Romney would also I do believe.

How many states left after super tuesday? If we get Hucks and Romneys endorsement after super tuesday if they lose we can win this nomination though. I don't think they want to be McCains VP. Especially Romney. Right now Ron Paul has a very nice hand and we need to keep him in money for this to happen. We need to make friends with Huck supporters though.
It is going to come down to the wire though and need their help. Honestly I would rather like to see Huck as Ron Pauls VP out of all the other candidates running. We are going to need their support with this. We should be talking with them. But we war with them instead. We are doing against what Ron Paul preaches about entangling alliances. We need to talk and trade ideas with them.Like if you trade your vote for Ron Paul we will vote for your favorite ice cream or something like that.:D

who are these people? cause from what ive seen he has alot of followers. damn shame too :mad:

Mini-Me
01-31-2008, 05:18 AM

It'd be great (albeit unlikely, IMO) if Huck and/or Romney endorsed Paul. However, accepting either of them as his running mate would be suicide - literally. Paul would simply be assassinated after he became President if he doesn't pick his VP very wisely (i.e. he has to pick someone the establishment is afraid of just as much as they're afraid of him). If he does pick his VP wisely, he'll be bulletproof :)

dave68
01-31-2008, 07:37 AM
I don`t care if Romney keeps spending as long as he stays in the race. I think it helps us. As for a 3rd party. It is definitely the year. Hillary/Mccain/Paul. If he can`t pull off the nomination of course.
I am not finding many democrats in NY who want to vote for Hillary, or Barack. I also know a lot of people who want to vote for Ron, but are independents, or democrats. Time will tell.

Brian Bailey
01-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Romney, McCain, and Huckabee Too Broke To Advertise in Super Tuesday states… Donate to Ron Paul! (http://www.paulunteer.com/news-stories/romney-mccain-and-huckabee-too-broke-to-advertise-in-super-tuesday-states-donate-to-ron-paul/)

Cinderella
01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
what does it matter if he advertises anyway?? MSM gives him plenty of free advertising anyway!!!!

Arklatex
01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Excellent Strategy by Romney there lol, wasted his fortune. :D

Agora
01-31-2008, 09:39 AM
he flip-flopped ... again :D

originalboxcar
01-31-2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/01/31/america/Campaign-Rdp.php

noztnac
01-31-2008, 09:56 AM

I am in complete agreement.:)

LEK
01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Read between the lines. HE DOESN'T HAVE TO. It's in the bag because the shadow government has already picked who will be the next president.

Let the revolution continue!

blakjak
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Romney Plans Major Ad Buys in California, Other Super Tuesday States

Mitt Romney plans to buy TV ads in California and other Super Tuesday states, contradicting earlier reports that he was avoiding a costly campaign on Feb. 5, when 21 states hold Republican primaries and caucuses.

As Romney seeks to topple John McCain’s momentum coming out of his win in the Florida primary and a host of big-name endorsements, top aides said Romney’s ad buys will be high-dollar.

The campaign will determine shortly which states it will target beyond California.

Romney’s advisers had given him several options, ranging from spending $1 million for ads to $7 million. It was not immediately clear how much money Romney was willing to spend — or whether the multimillionaire would dip into his own bank account again. He already has poured at least $40 million into his presidential campaign.

Romney will likely be the first GOP candidate on air in the Super Tuesday states, the broadest battleground of the primary season.

As that mega-contest looms, Romney and McCain clashed sharply at the Wednesday night debate in California, trading accusations on topics ranging from taxes to their positions on the Iraq war to conservative credentials.

Romney has been trying to cast himself as more conservative than McCain. He called the Arizona senator outside the mainstream Wednesday night and even accused McCain of “dirty tricks” and old-style Washington politics for repeating a charge that Romney supports a timetable for troop withdrawal in Iraq. Romney insists that is not true.

The debate Wednesday night further defined the contest as a two-man race, but McCain is already leading in the polls in several delegate-rich Feb. 5 states, including California.

Mike Huckabee is also trying to stay competitive in the race. He and Ron Paul also participated in Wednesday night’s debate.

Romney had indicated on Wednesday that his campaign was not attempting to purchase television advertising time in any of the states on the Super Tuesday calendar. Instead, his plans called for campaigning in California and other primary states, while making organizational efforts primarily for caucus states.

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/01/31/romney-plans-major-ad-buys-in-california-ot

TER
01-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Romney is going to spend millions upon millions more... HOORAY!!!

matthylland
01-31-2008, 10:35 AM
who are these people? cause from what ive seen he has alot of followers. damn shame too :mad:

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/
off the top of my head...
just read his wikipedia page....its crazy...