PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Grassroots HQ - Developers Needed / Info Thread***

defcreative
01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
I am managing a new project for an official headquarters for the grassroots movement that will serve as a central hub of data, event planning, organization, videos and other media, member published articles, organization of projects by precinct with an interactive map, interactive user comments, all with a “digg style” rating system. This thread is to reach out to the community for web programmers and developers familiar with at least one of the following requirements: PHP, JavaScript, AJAX, Actionscripting/Flash. All must be proficient with HTML, and graphics design skills could never hurt.

For more general information about the project, visit the official public discussion and feature request thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1131859).

POSITIONS NEEDED:

Currently I am looking for programmers with the credentials as listed above that are willing to volunteer to help out with this monumentally important project. As is understandable, this project is pretty hefty so I am looking to find 8 developers willing to help work on this project. I already have 3 that are unconfirmed, but I am going to need more people to make this project progress in a timely fashion.

CURRENT POSITIONS------------------------------------

1) Chris Mapes “aka DefCreative” -- Project Manager and Development Team Leader, Graphics Design
2) John Orr ------------------------------ PR and Marketing Analyst / Expert
3) (name undisclosed at this time) --- Team Attorney
4) *slot open*
5) *slot open*
6) *slot open*
7) *slot open*
8) * slot open *
9) * slot open *
10) * slot open *
11) * slot open *
---------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice to see new programmers who are used to working in a team environment, but those who are used to working solo are welcome as well. I have made all the arrangements for the team in terms of organization, as a team leader should, so even those inexperienced with a team environment should manage to do very well.

I think it is worth mentioning to those considering being involved that this is a volunteer project, but there will be long term monetary benefits provided to contributors. Contact me for more information if necessary.

PROJECT DEVELOPMENT PROCESS - INFO AND LAYOUT:

For this project, I am choosing an iterative, agile development model to organize and separate the workload between individual developers. I have set the team up with an online interactive programming development suite that will allow the whole team to see each individual design iteration, feature that needs to be developed, which features are allocated to each developer, current workload of each developer, burndown charts showing the process of the project and projected completion date, comment posting, bug and test reporting, and much more extremely useful tools for real time project management.

In addition, I have set up a private forum for the developers to discuss the project and a nice flash chat room application to speak amongst ourselves in real time.

These tools are meant to get a developer who has never programmed in a group environment before to feel right at home immediately and begin simple and productive utilization of their precious time.

As the project goes along, I will be developing entity relation diagrams to help keep the team on the same page as far as each module will work, as well as the whole project in general. I will also be assisting with all of the coding and managing the graphic design for the project. I plan on working full time+ (8-10hrs per day) on this project, because I want to see this happen so much for the community.

This will be the basic development process:

http://www.creativebolt.com/itdesign.jpg

TIMELINE TO RELEASE:

For a project of this size, it is difficult to say with any complete certainty how long it will take to be completed, but I would say if we could get good people helping out it could be completed within 3-4 weeks.

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who wants to help out with this project, please PM me or email me at chris@creativebolt.com. If you would like to speak on the phone feel free to give me a PM for my number.

CaptBookbag
01-30-2008, 11:21 PM
For a project of this size, it is difficult to say with any complete certainty how long it will take to be completed, but I would say if we could get good people helping out it could be completed within 3-4 weeks.

wow.

Interesting.

wowabunga
01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
(sticking foot into doorway)

Please.... may I ask for debate and discussion for a separate area on the home page with a theme of "good news stories" from the grass roots. Just a simple message board thread where we the "boots on the ground" supporters/workers can go quickly to either post good news and to read good news success stories. Our own version of Ron Paul Soup for the Soul :)

Today my spirits were lifted when I read the thread about the sign wave and how some motor cycyle cops passed by and instead of causing grief... the officers flipped on their loud speakers and yell back "Go Ron Paul". Folks that made my day. It would be so soothing to be able to find more stories of like nature all in one neat little package/page.

More good soup for the spirit.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTvgfnh1pM

- Ramblin Randy

Brian Bailey
01-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Definitely sounds interesting.

Until then: The Paulunteer (http://www.paulunteer.com/) has been keeping a lot of visitors and subscribers informed about this stuff since November. Check us out.

defcreative
01-31-2008, 02:41 AM
(sticking foot into doorway)

Please.... may I ask for debate and discussion for a separate area on the home page with a theme of "good news stories" from the grass roots. Just a simple message board thread where we the "boots on the ground" supporters/workers can go quickly to either post good news and to read good news success stories. Our own version of Ron Paul Soup for the Soul :)

Today my spirits were lifted when I read the thread about the sign wave and how some motor cycyle cops passed by and instead of causing grief... the officers flipped on their loud speakers and yell back "Go Ron Paul". Folks that made my day. It would be so soothing to be able to find more stories of like nature all in one neat little package/page.

More good soup for the spirit.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTvgfnh1pM

- Ramblin Randy

That is a fantastic idea, consider it thrown up on the drawing board.
For the future if you have any more ideas for features, go ahead and post it in the official feature request thread so we can keep this as a "developer reaching thread" and the other one as a feature discussion thread.

Thank you for the input.

defcreative
01-31-2008, 04:58 AM
bump for the night.

bucfish
01-31-2008, 05:24 AM
Nice idea

LandonCook
01-31-2008, 05:39 AM
bump

defcreative
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM