PDA

View Full Version : Official Pledge System - Need a Programmer(s)

gerryb
01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
When "critical mass" is reached for money bombs, they seem to take on a life of their own. I believe this critical mass will be even more important going forward with congressional and senatorial races. No one wants to be the first to commit large amounts of money to a campaign(s) that may not be going anywhere.

To this end, I would like to sponsor development of an official pledge system that could be used by the official campaigns of Ron Paul Republican's. If you or someone you know if a programmer that can develop the system I describe, please contact me. I would like to find talent from this community rather than looking elsewhere.

The developed system would become an official pledging system (hosted by the campaign) that verifies credit cards and places a hold on funds, but does not charge them until the stated goal is reached.

In a less complex system pledges would be tracked and published by the campaign in the same manner the grassroots money bomb pledges have been tracked (with pledge totals and graphs), and when the stated goal is reached all pledges would be given a short notice, then charged.

In a more complex system, and one in which the grassroots would be empowered to create their own goals, the developed system would need to provide a way for grassroots organizers to utilize a "Project/Event Code" field in the donation form of the official campaign, and register a project/event with the campaign. The campaign website would then host a small description of the event details such as the "trigger" dollar level of donation pledges or # of unique pledges that would cause that event to "go live". These details would be provided/communicated from the grassroots to the campaign for them to enter on the official site.

The grassroots could then promote the event and link supporters to the appropriate Project/Event donation page at the campaign website.

I believe a system like this would encourage larger and more organized money bombs, as you are assured there will be no "duds". I think this is a fear that causes many people to be hesitant to pledge or donate. I know at midnight on Nov. 5th I had a feeling I would be participating in a dud, and certainly did not expect more donations to come in than pledges. We saw many fake $5k pledges entered for the blimp. A system like this would prevent doubts and limit fraudulent pledges.

Please get in touch, or keep this bumped periodically!

gerryb
01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
bump, anyone out there?

barrett203
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
bump

theantirobot
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't think it's an effective strategy. Ironically my saying that actually promotes it. Money bomb duds happen because they aren't thoroughly promoted. A central pledge system will do nothing to encourage promotion. There is already http://www.ronpaulmoneybomb.com/ which is doing pretty much exactly what your talking about, as I understand it anyway.

RickyJ
01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Bad idea.

Automatically charging credit cards when a certain number is reached is not good for most donors and not good if the number never reaches the required amount, which means Ron Paul's campaign gets nothing. Not too many liberty minded folks want independent groups outside of the official campaign to have a record of their donations to the campaign. Most never pledge anything in any money bomb, they just donate on that day. It has worked so far so there is no reason to change the system now. I am a programmer and could design such a system, but I don't think it would help.

gerryb
02-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Bad idea.

Automatically charging credit cards when a certain number is reached is not good for most donors and not good if the number never reaches the required amount, which means Ron Paul's campaign gets nothing.

That's why it would send a notification that the pledge total has been reached and donations will be charged in x days. Donors would of course have the option of delaying the charge if they needed to, but that should be a small %.

Not too many liberty minded folks want independent groups outside of the official campaign to have a record of their donations to the campaign. Most never pledge anything in any money bomb, they just donate on that day.

That's exactly what this system would solve. Many people didn't sign up to the previous money bombs, but did donate. If the true numbers were reported beforehand even more momentum would have been built. Also, where did I mention an independent group? In the systems I described, pledges would be entered and tracked by the campaign.

It has worked so far so there is no reason to change the system now. I am a programmer and could design such a system, but I don't think it would help.

It didn't work for the blimp. There were TONS of 5k pledges that were fake. No one trusted those pledges beforehand, making people more reluctant to pledge lesser amounts. Credibility builds momentum.

How many people would be willing to max out if they knew 10,000 other people would also max out? I'm willing to bet a lot of people feel that way. Group psychology is the exact reason the money bombs have worked for small donation amounts so far. A system like this would create the confidence and trust for large amounts of people to donate larger amounts.

Also, this isn't only for Ron Paul. This would be for all the other Ron Paul candidates. I'd be willing to donate $10-100 to every RPR candidate if I knew their campaign had critical mass behind it(read: enough money to win their nomination and district). No one wants to invest in a loser. I believe this type of system would allow that critical mass to be developed much more quickly with confidence.

jarofclay
02-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Bad idea.

Automatically charging credit cards when a certain number is reached is not good for most donors and not good if the number never reaches the required amount, which means Ron Paul's campaign gets nothing. Not too many liberty minded folks want independent groups outside of the official campaign to have a record of their donations to the campaign. Most never pledge anything in any money bomb, they just donate on that day. It has worked so far so there is no reason to change the system now. I am a programmer and could design such a system, but I don't think it would help.

/agree The idea is good, but holding credit card numbers is a bad idea. Most (if not all) PCI certified merchants use a gateway and do not even touch the credit card numbers.