PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Ron Paul

malkusm
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Dear Ron,

We all get your e-mails, week in and week out. The ones that tell us that our fight is one of freedom and prosperity for future generations. The ones that tell us not to be discouraged by poll numbers, by media blackouts, by lacking performances in early states that you aren't focusing on. The ones that tell us you need our unwavering support in the form of canvassing and donating. We get all your e-mails, and we read every word, because they mean everything to us. However, you've never received any type of correspondence from me, and to that end, I write this letter.

For a year now, you've tirelessly worked for the American people to secure the Presidency. You've worked for long-time fans who knew your work in Congress and your strong Constitutional message, those who recalled your 1988 national campaign, and those who stayed current enough to research your ideas. At first, this was your support - very limited in range, but very committed to your message. However, you knew that you worked for ALL Americans - regardless of whether or not they knew it yet.

You pressed on through the efforts of many in the media to marginalize you, to call you crazy, or a fringe candidate. You pressed on as other candidates, colleagues of yours for whom you have only shown the utmost respect, laughed. You spoke out against a failing monetary policy long before the recession, before the housing bubble, before anyone had any concerns about the economy. You spoke out against a failing foreign policy long before Democrats and supposed pacifists ever would vote against it. You spoke out against excessive and wasteful government spending, and seemingly with every word that your fellow politicians ignores, the national debt rose uncontrollably. Mitt Romney talks about "leadership" required in running a business and a state? John McCain talks about "leadership" required in running our military? You've led by example, in every word you've spoken and every vote you've taken. You've taken your vow to uphold and protect the Constitution, and lived up to it for every second you've been in the public light. That takes leadership, and a great deal of courage as well.

Most importantly, you've given hope to myself, and I'm sure to so many who read this now. You've given hope to a generation which doesn't want to be in debt to China, which doesn't want the dollar we work so hard for to be worth less than Canada's, which doesn't want endless occupation and warring with nations who have committed no aggressive acts, which doesn't want our children and grandchildren committed to fight into wars that we can't even foresee because the political reasons for them haven't even surfaced. You've inspired my generation, who hasn't seen a respectable, honest, and law-abiding candidate in our lifetime. You've inspired my parents' generation, to whom names like Goldwater and Reagan bring back memories. You've inspired so many people, who even a year ago were completely unaware that you've been fighting for us all along. You've not only set a great political example - you've set a great example in general for every man, woman and child. You've inspired me to press on and fight for what I believe in, no matter what the cause and no matter what the odds are against me. I apply the lessons I learn by watching your tireless work and determination, and I see that it's only possible with a complete belief in the cause that you fight for.

My message to you, Dr. Paul, is simple: don't ever stop fighting for me, my family, or my country. Even if it gets frustrating, even if people laugh, and even if you have fundamental disagreements with a large group of Americans - keep fighting for them anyway. Believe me when I say (and many people will echo this) that you have a movement that is more than a Presidential campaign. You've started something much larger. You've raised awareness and inspired so many people, so deeply, that we aren't going anywhere. Despite any attempts to quiet our voices, to drown us out, and even if you aren't our next President, we will not stand by idly, and we will not stop fighting for our country. This isn't about you, Dr. Paul. This is about every American. This is about the freedoms that my fellow Americans fought to the death to protect, some of them on our own soil. This is about my kids and grandkids. This is about standing up for the written law of the land. This is about the future. This is about the message.

My name is Matthew Malkus. I am 20 years old, and I'll be here long after you're gone. And I'll be fighting tooth and nail, with every breath I have left, to keep the message alive. As Thomas Paine once said, "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." I vow to you now that I will do all I can to see that glorious triumph in my lifetime. And I know that I am not alone.

Yours in freedom,

Matthew Malkus

MaidenFan
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd sign my name under this.

+1776

nodope0695
01-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Add my signature under that letter too....Thanks

CzargwaR
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
+1776

kate971
01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Thank you for writing such a heartfelt letter. We all owe a debt of gratitude to Dr. Paul for everything he is doing for our country.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh, man. Beautiful.

affa
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Ron Paul - you haven't restored my faith in politicians... because I never had any to begin with. You Created it.

Thank you.

Akus
01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Ron Paul you are not a person. You are a movement. We will continue to fight, we will continue to be the change we want the world to be.

Signed

Akus

TexFootballMom
01-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Dear Ron,

We all get your e-mails, week in and week out. The ones that tell us that our fight is one of freedom and prosperity for future generations. The ones that tell us not to be discouraged by poll numbers, by media blackouts, by lacking performances in early states that you aren't focusing on. The ones that tell us you need our unwavering support in the form of canvassing and donating. We get all your e-mails, and we read every word, because they mean everything to us. However, you've never received any type of correspondence from me, and to that end, I write this letter.

For a year now, you've tirelessly worked for the American people to secure the Presidency. You've worked for long-time fans who knew your work in Congress and your strong Constitutional message, those who recalled your 1988 national campaign, and those who stayed current enough to research your ideas. At first, this was your support - very limited in range, but very committed to your message. However, you knew that you worked for ALL Americans - regardless of whether or not they knew it yet.

You pressed on through the efforts of many in the media to marginalize you, to call you crazy, or a fringe candidate. You pressed on as other candidates, colleagues of yours for whom you have only shown the utmost respect, laughed. You spoke out against a failing monetary policy long before the recession, before the housing bubble, before anyone had any concerns about the economy. You spoke out against a failing foreign policy long before Democrats and supposed pacifists ever would vote against it. You spoke out against excessive and wasteful government spending, and seemingly with every word that your fellow politicians ignores, the national debt rose uncontrollably. Mitt Romney talks about "leadership" required in running a business and a state? John McCain talks about "leadership" required in running our military? You've led by example, in every word you've spoken and every vote you've taken. You've taken your vow to uphold and protect the Constitution, and lived up to it for every second you've been in the public light. That takes leadership, and a great deal of courage as well.

Most importantly, you've given hope to myself, and I'm sure to so many who read this now. You've given hope to a generation which doesn't want to be in debt to China, which doesn't want the dollar we work so hard for to be worth less than Canada's, which doesn't want endless occupation and warring with nations who have committed no aggressive acts, which doesn't want our children and grandchildren committed to fight into wars that we can't even foresee because the political reasons for them haven't even surfaced. You've inspired my generation, who hasn't seen a respectable, honest, and law-abiding candidate in our lifetime. You've inspired my parents' generation, to whom names like Goldwater and Reagan bring back memories. You've inspired so many people, who even a year ago were completely unaware that you've been fighting for us all along. You've not only set a great political example - you've set a great example in general for every man, woman and child. You've inspired me to press on and fight for what I believe in, no matter what the cause and no matter what the odds are against me. I apply the lessons I learn by watching your tireless work and determination, and I see that it's only possible with a complete belief in the cause that you fight for.

My message to you, Dr. Paul, is simple: don't ever stop fighting for me, my family, or my country. Even if it gets frustrating, even if people laugh, and even if you have fundamental disagreements with a large group of Americans - keep fighting for them anyway. Believe me when I say (and many people will echo this) that you have a movement that is more than a Presidential campaign. You've started something much larger. You've raised awareness and inspired so many people, so deeply, that we aren't going anywhere. Despite any attempts to quiet our voices, to drown us out, and even if you aren't our next President, we will not stand by idly, and we will not stop fighting for our country. This isn't about you, Dr. Paul. This is about every American. This is about the freedoms that my fellow Americans fought to the death to protect, some of them on our own soil. This is about my kids and grandkids. This is about standing up for the written law of the land. This is about the future. This is about the message.

My name is Matthew Malkus. I am 20 years old, and I'll be here long after you're gone. And I'll be fighting tooth and nail, with every breath I have left, to keep the message alive. As Thomas Paine once said, "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." I vow to you now that I will do all I can to see that glorious triumph in my lifetime. And I know that I am not alone.

Yours in freedom,

Matthew Malkus

Lovely Let Freedom Ring

madRazor
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
That was very well done.

I hope for his sake and ours Dr. Paul finds time to read it.

defcreative
01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Stunning letter,

+sig

ShowMeLiberty
01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Matthew. What an inspriring letter.

I let the unfairness of the media get me down sometimes (like tonight!) even though I know I shouldn't. Your letter was just the right medicine.

pinkmandy
01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
QFT!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

dt_
01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
that was a great letter!

jblosser
01-30-2008, 11:10 PM
I forwarded it, I can pretty well guarantee Carol will at least see it, she'll show it to him if he has the time.

dblee
01-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Wow.

Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. -Psalms 8:2

Physics
01-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd sign that.

malkusm
01-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys,

I watched the debate last night and I'd been thinking about writing something like this for a while. Whenever I get down about things like that, I try to follow his lead. It's just very inspiring to me that someone who is in the public eye like he was tonight can keep his composure and deliver the message the way he does. As I said, he inspires me to be a better person through his example.

Thanks for forwarding that to Carol, I really wasn't sure the right way to contact him so I figured I'd post here. I sent it to his Congressional office e-mail box, but I'm sure that's the last place he'll get it, as hard as he's been campaigning.

BreakYourChains
01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Thank you!

parke
01-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Im turning 34.. and Im with this message till the end too. You rock kiddo. I cant remember which founder said it would take our children to keep liberty alive.. he was right, whoever it was. Freedom is worth fighting for. Iraq is not.

We will get America back. Im afraid that its going to be blood that will be paid to get it though. I hope America will turn around before its destroyed..

Can you imagine a generation without Habeus Corpus.. the right to free speech.. the right to own a gun... ?

Thats scary.

hyoomen
01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Instant MySpace Bulletin.

revolutionman
07-01-2008, 10:11 AM
This is old but its 100% worth bumping.

Plus its an awsome example of what we are looking for for the book project.
Thanks yet again for your contribution Matt.

ronpaulhawaii
07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
<applauds>

Wow, Thanks for the bump, I never saw this. Great letter, Matt

+1 on the sig

The_Orlonater
07-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I want a sig too.

brooklyn
07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
You can add my sig x5.
Great letter, from the heart.
Stay strong.:)

speciallyblend
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
nice letter ,great job:)

Nirvikalpa
07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Pleased that you're my friend Matt. You are a very heartfelt and warm person indeed :)

malkusm
11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
An old school bump for tonight....

A reminder that this is about MORE than this election.

I have two choices: accept the system I'm in, or work to change it for the better. I refuse to accept this system. As Dr. Paul himself said, "Let it not be said that we did nothing." Even if my efforts are in vain, I will continue to stand up for my beliefs, and the beliefs that this country was founded on; I will continue to fight for my country, even if my country continues to fight against me.

Think long and hard about what has transpired in the last 12 months. Then ask yourself if you can withstand another election cycle like this....and then another, and then another. I wrote this letter in January, and I knew what I was in for when I signed on - a lifetime of struggle against a corrupt system, not a one-year campaign for a trendy candidate.

raiha
11-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Great letter. Happy to see it bumped otherwise i would have missed it. Maybe this one is for you!
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

It came to my door via a flaming arrow!

slantedview
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
hear hear

malkusm
11-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Great letter. Happy to see it bumped otherwise i would have missed it. Maybe this one is for you!
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

It came to my door via a flaming arrow!

Thank you for posting - Dr. Paul has been doing this for 30 years. I'll give up when he does ;)

malkusm
11-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Bumping this for nostalgia. I don't recognize hardly any of the posters in this thread as current forum members. Meaning, if you're reading this right now, you've probably never read the OP.

I'm 23 now, not 20 as I was when I wrote the OP....but I'd send this to Ron again in a heartbeat.