PDA

View Full Version : Question About the constitution

StumbleBum7
01-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Alright i have to read it for my class but i wanted to read it anyways. Unfortunatley i missed class due to something and he said it will be hard to make up, but i believe with other RP supporters as help it can be done :)

Anyways i was reading it and couldn't remember if Ron thinks the federal reserve is un-constitutional or not? I ask because of this to see if i understand it right

Article 1 Section 8

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;"

That last one, (of course there are more listed, but that ones my question)

So according to this, since the Federal Reserve is not part of congress they don't have the authority to like regulate how much is made, and it should all pass through congress or what? Im new to all this but just had this question maybe someone can help me understand it better and put it in clearer terms. Im sure while reading this ill come up with more things im confused about.

NMCB3
01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Question; where does the Constitution grant the federal government the right to issue paper money unbacked by gold or silver? Answer; Congress is explicitly given power to coin money in Article 1, Section A, but no similar power was given to print fiat money.