PDA

View Full Version : One Trick Pony

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Of the many minor foibles that bother me about Ron Paul, the one that bothers me the most is the fact that he does so poorly in debate. He's a one trick pony. As somebody on the CNN blog opined during this debate, "no matter the question with Ron Paul, the answer is Iraq". Ron Paul needs to stop tying everything in to our foreign policy. Yes, we're aware that everything is interconnected. But when somebody asks about the economy, viewers are waiting to hear about Paul's position on interest rate cuts, tax plans, and the stimulus package. Anything else immediately turns them off. Why won't Ron Paul stop talking about Iraq???? The only time he should even mention the place is when "Iraq" is part of the question asked of him.

Trigonx
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Its All Connected!!!

TaiwanGuy
01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
this is what i have been saying all day.

we have the anti-war republicans.

we need the other (fake) republicans.

once we get the nomination, he should mention the war in every other comment, but now we need to appeal to those that actually like this stupid war. he should only mention the war when asked about it. period!

that having been said, RON PAUL IN 2008!

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-30-2008, 09:25 PM
this is what i have been saying all day.

we have the anti-war republicans.

we need the other (fake) republicans.

once we get the nomination, he should mention the war in every other comment, but now we need to appeal to those that actually like this stupid war. he should only mention the war when asked about it. period!

that having been said, RON PAUL IN 2008!

If we really had all the anti-war Republicans, we would be winning every primary. HALF of Iowa's Republicans were anti-war for crying out loud!

Johncjackson
01-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Be fair- it's TWO tricks. Iraq and Sound Money. And it all ties in. Too bad 90% of people are idiots ( and I think I am being generous there).

NMCB3
01-30-2008, 09:28 PM
He`s just calling a spade a spade. Unfortunately the presidential election is more of a popularity contest than anything else. The functionally illiterate voters are not capable of much more.

peznex
01-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Its All Connected!!!

+1!

The economy does not have any money because of the war. All these plans and tax cuts cost money and that money needs to come from the war.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Be fair- it's TWO tricks. Iraq and Sound Money. And it all ties in. Too bad 90% of people are idiots ( and I think I am being generous there).

This is my point. 90% of the people are idiots. Therefore, in order to win the votes of 90% of the people, you need to speak in terms that an idiot will understand. So Ron Paul has two options: 1) Speak in terms that idiots will understand, or 2) insist on speaking to the crowd as though they were all polisci grad students and ensure his defeat.

It's nice to see Ron Paul speak the truth and be right. But being right isn't worth a damn thing if Ron Paul is not effective. Better to be effective and forego being right than to insist on being right and compromising your effectiveness.

TaiwanGuy
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
If we really had all the anti-war Republicans, we would be winning every primary. HALF of Iowa's Republicans were anti-war for crying out loud!

i would be willing to put money that when those voters said they were anti-war, they meant that they were anti-the-way-the-war-has-been-handled.

i have never met a republican that is strongly against the war that does not support paul. have you?

the problem that all republicans that i have talked to is "i like paul's domestic policies, but not his foreign policy". so STOP emphasizing the foreign policy until the general election.

Akus
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Of the many minor foibles that bother me about Ron Paul, the one that bothers me the most is the fact that he does so poorly in debate. He's a one trick pony. As somebody on the CNN blog opined during this debate, "no matter the question with Ron Paul, the answer is Iraq". Ron Paul needs to stop tying everything in to our foreign policy. Yes, we're aware that everything is interconnected. But when somebody asks about the economy, viewers are waiting to hear about Paul's position on interest rate cuts, tax plans, and the stimulus package. Anything else immediately turns them off. Why won't Ron Paul stop talking about Iraq???? The only time he should even mention the place is when "Iraq" is part of the question asked of him.

I agree, when I go to the car shop, I wish my mechanic would concentrate on how to fix my non-running engine instead of distracting me with all this "change your oil" non sense.

ProfNo
01-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Its All Connected!!!

+a lot

Very few people seem to really pick up on this.

By the way, that blogger for CNN if a fucking idiot.

praxisseizure
01-30-2008, 09:42 PM

But it's not the reality.
I do wish he'd go into more detail. But they never give him time. You can get more detail through the internet, but if you're not convinced you'd find anything there, then you wouldn't look in the first place.

If he really bucks the media on national TV, they'll exclude him from everything as a brat/baby that can't keep his cool. Not the best idea for winning anything.

Goldwater Conservative
01-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Because it IS the problem! I'm sorry, but there exists no artificial divide between domestic policy and foreign policy, just as there exists no such divide between civil liberties and economic freedom. When we're spending over $150 billion overseas on two wars alone, and still hundreds more when you factor in our overall global presence, but have to borrow money to pay for it all, it's no wonder we all feel the economic crunch. It's the damn elephant in the room! Our military "empire," fiat money system, and runaway entitlement programs are the big three problems facing the country today, and he hits on all three whenever he gets the chance, especially the first two because addressing those makes the third manageable, whereas it doesn't work the other way around.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I agree, when I go to the car shop, I wish my mechanic would concentrate on how to fix my non-running engine instead of distracting me with all this "change your oil" non sense.

Your post is simply not analogous. My point is that 90% of the population doesn't understand "change your oil", so telling them doesn't actually result in people changing their oil, it just results in their going to another mechanic. So you have two options: Tell them about how to fix their non-running engine or watch them go to another mechanic. Apparently, Ron Paul is content with watching them go to another mechanic.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
But it's not the reality.

Perception, my good man, IS reality. No, it's not physical reality, but it's real enough to determine who people vote for. And that's the level of reality that Ron Paul needs to be concerned about.

I do wish he'd go into more detail. But they never give him time.

You're right. Our disconnect is that I've accepted that he WONT GET more time. He needs to work within the time alloted. And he's not doing that effectively.

You can get more detail through the internet, but if you're not convinced you'd find anything there, then you wouldn't look in the first place.

And most people aren't interested enough. For them, the debate IS their candidate research.

If he really bucks the media on national TV, they'll exclude him from everything as a brat/baby that can't keep his cool. Not the best idea for winning anything.

The same goes for us, throwing snowballs at Hannity and what not.

Akus
01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Your post is simply not analogous. My point is that 90% of the population doesn't understand "change your oil", so telling them doesn't actually result in people changing their oil, it just results in their going to another mechanic. So you have two options: Tell them about how to fix their non-running engine or watch them go to another mechanic. Apparently, Ron Paul is content with watching them go to another mechanic.

The only way out of this is to lie and "stay the course". The other mechanic will talk about oil change, too. Or he will lie and change your windshield wipers and tell you your tires hate your for your horsepower.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Because it IS the problem! I'm sorry, but there exists no artificial divide between domestic policy and foreign policy, just as there exists no such divide between civil liberties and economic freedom. When we're spending over $150 billion overseas on two wars alone, and still hundreds more when you factor in our overall global presence, but have to borrow money to pay for it all, it's no wonder we all feel the economic crunch. It's the damn elephant in the room! Our military "empire," fiat money system, and runaway entitlement programs are the big three problems facing the country today, and he hits on all three whenever he gets the chance, especially the first two because addressing those makes the third manageable, whereas it doesn't work the other way around.

Whether it is or is not the problem IS IRRELEVANT. The only thing that matters is what the average viewer will digest. And the average viewer will not digest the truth. So Ron Paul needs to speak in terms that the average viewer will digest, or he's just wasting his (and our) time.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
The only way out of this is to lie and "stay the course". The other mechanic will talk about oil change, too. Or he will lie and change your windshield wipers and tell you your tires hate your for your horsepower.

It's a pretty weak analogy.

JimInNY
01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I know you want to here a whole bunch of BULLSHIT, but the fact is that our foreign policy is the biggest cause of our problem with the economy and the worst part of our foreign policy is Iraq.

The stimulus package is going to inject what? 120 billion into the economy? Come home from Iraq and from around the world, and inject a TRILLION a year into our economy.

I'd say Ron Paul is just trying to beat the TRUTH into some pretty dense heads.

Computer
01-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Words aren't necessary where a bag of vomit would have sufficed.

Drknows
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
If Ron Paul never brought up Iraq most of us wouldnt even be here. Its his strongest position and the only one most Americans can follow.

How many Americans know about our monetary system? Do they even know what the federal reserve is? Do they know what interest rates are? NOPE.

The Majority of Americans don't care. They probably dont even look at their paychecks to see how much the government is taking.

IRAQ IS HIS STRONGEST POSITION! Foreign policy is his ace in the hole.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I know you want to here a whole bunch of BULLSHIT, but the fact is that our foreign policy is the biggest cause of our problem with the economy and the worst part of our foreign policy is Iraq.

I personally want to hear the truth. But I want the people to vote for Ron Paul MORE.

The stimulus package is going to inject what? 120 billion into the economy? Come home from Iraq and from around the world, and inject a TRILLION a year into our economy.

But that doesn't win voters. There's time enough to talk about how ending the war would help our economy. But when the question is about the economy, it's time to talk domestic issues - Ron rarely speaks domestically, and when you're talking a Republican primary, domestic issues are Ron's strong suit.

I'd say Ron Paul is just trying to beat the TRUTH into some pretty dense heads.

He won't succeed. Better to win the race than tilt at windmills.

ArrestPoliticians
01-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Conservative republicans dont care about money.

They already know his stance on the war.

HE NEEDS TO TALK ABOUT THE CONSTITUTION AND THE RULE OF LAW!!!

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
If Ron Paul never brought up Iraq most of us wouldnt even be here. Its his strongest position and the only one most Americans can follow.

How many Americans know about our monetary system? Do they even know what the federal reserve is? Do they know what interest rates are? NOPE.

The Majority of Americans don't care. They probably dont even look at their paychecks to see how much the government is taking.

IRAQ IS HIS STRONGEST POSITION! Foreign policy is his ace in the hole.

There are a whole wealth of issues out there. He is already given plenty of time to talk about Iraq. When he's not asked about Iraq, he should talk about other things. Iraq isn't some ace in the hole - the crowd would likely react better to Paul speaking (smartly) about ending the income tax, or the dept of education, or wasteful government spending. But he passes on great opportunities to do this in order to return to his ONE TRICK. One trick ponies don't win the show. And Ron Paul needs to be in this to win it.

JimInNY
01-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Ron Paul has won elections against all odds before. He knows what he is doing.

msrebel54
01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
It's nice to see Ron Paul speak the truth and be right. But being right isn't worth a damn thing if Ron Paul is not effective. Better to be effective and forego being right than to insist on being right and compromising your effectiveness.

His mistake is in assuming that the American sh...uh...people are smarter and more informed than they really are. They are used to these glossed over simplistic answers to complex issues, it's more or less like cheering for a sports team to them. They know of no substance whatsoever. Dr. Paul is too smart for his own good.

The other night, he asked McCain a question that McCain himself didn't understand. (the question, much less the answer).

The base Ron Paul supporters have educated themselves, and are caring people as to what happens to their freedom and the country. But how many are going to take the time and effort to become educated about the issues? Less than 10%. But even that's a vast improvement over a year ago, then I would have guessed it to be about 0.5%. So Dr. Paul IS making an impact. Just not big enough, fast enough, nor can he find it in himself to lower his mental ability to where the average person can understand what he said or why he said it. God knows, he tries though. If he were not trying, he might as well be speaking Klingon to most people.

Try this little experiment to prove the point. Ask the first random 10 people (not your friends or inner circle) the following three simple questions, and then get back to me. (jokingly):

1. What form of government did the founding fathers set the United States up to be? (Constitutional Republic) ...or just Republic will suffice as a correct answer.

2. What right does the Second Amendment to the US Constitution speak of? (right to keep and bear arms) "Gun rights" may suffice, but it's not technically correct

3. Name four people currently running for President of the US in 2008?

After you do this....you will see what a sad shape our country is really in. Apparently, teaching civics in school went out a long time ago

Goldwater Conservative
01-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Whether it is or is not the problem IS IRRELEVANT. The only thing that matters is what the average viewer will digest. And the average viewer will not digest the truth. So Ron Paul needs to speak in terms that the average viewer will digest, or he's just wasting his (and our) time.

He already does. He doesn't talk about M3, he talks about printing money causing inflation. He doesn't talk about blowback, he talks about how the war is bankrupting us and was unjustified. If he dumbs it down any further, he'll be indistinguishable from the pack on most issues and just look like a pacifist on the war.

Paul is the candidate of actual change and well-thought policies, and 30 second sound-bites don't favor that. You can only do so much without undermining what makes your candidacy different and worthwhile.

I'm all for him expressing a few of his usual answers slightly different, mainly by using a few more conservative buzzwords, but he's 100% right to link our economic troubles to the war, overall foreign policy, and monetary policy. Ordinary Americans can and DO make the connection between the war and our difficulties.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Ron Paul has won elections against all odds before. He knows what he is doing.

The only similar thing between this election and the previous election that he won against all odds (1996, and the odds werent this bad) is that they're both elections.

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with you totally. We're aware of this. Ron paul is aware of this. So he's faced with a choice: Am I willing to speak in a way that idiots will understand?

His mistake is in assuming that the American sh...uh...people are smarter and more informed than they really are. They are used to these glossed over simplistic answers to complex issues, it's more or less like cheering for a sports team to them. They know of no substance whatsoever. Dr. Paul is too smart for his own good.

The other night, he asked McCain a question that McCain himself didn't understand. (the question, much less the answer).

The base Ron Paul supporters have educated themselves, and are caring people as to what happens to their freedom and the country. But how many are going to take the time and effort to become educated about the issues? Less than 10%. But even that's a vast improvement over a year ago, then I would have guessed it to be about 0.5%. So Dr. Paul IS making an impact. Just not big enough, fast enough, nor can he find it in himself to lower his mental ability to where the average person can understand what he said or why he said it. God knows, he tries though. If he were not trying, he might as well be speaking Klingon to most people.

Try this little experiment to prove the point. Ask the first random 10 people (not your friends or inner circle) the following three simple questions, and then get back to me. (jokingly):

1. What form of government did the founding fathers set the United States up to be? (Constitutional Republic) ...or just Republic will suffice as a correct answer.

2. What right does the Second Amendment to the US Constitution speak of? (right to keep and bear arms) "Gun rights" may suffice, but it's not technically correct

3. Name four people currently running for President of the US in 2008?

After you do this....you will see what a sad shape our country is really in. Apparently, teaching civics in school went out a long time ago

Nathan Hale
01-30-2008, 10:10 PM
He already does. He doesn't talk about M3, he talks about printing money causing inflation. He doesn't talk about blowback, he talks about how the war is bankrupting us and was unjustified. If he dumbs it down any further, he'll be indistinguishable from the pack on most issues and just look like a pacifist on the war.

He can do a lot better without looking like a pacifist.

Paul is the candidate of actual change and well-thought policies, and 30 second sound-bites don't favor that. You can only do so much without undermining what makes your candidacy different and worthwhile.

True, but Paul is nowhere near that line.

I'm all for him expressing a few of his usual answers slightly different, mainly by using a few more conservative buzzwords, but he's 100% right to link our economic troubles to the war, overall foreign policy, and monetary policy. Ordinary Americans can and DO make the connection between the war and our difficulties.

Apparently not enough to make a difference in the polls.

SORRY FOLKS, I'M GOING TO BED - NOT TRACKING THIS THREAD ANY LONGER. GOOD CONVOS.