PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Dr. Paul's last answer

jpa
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I think you guys are not giving Dr. Paul enough credit. He has to reach out to new voters, not just preach to the choir.

Goverment secrecy and the current Whitehouse clashes with Congress is a mainstream issue. People are seeing what the abuse of the "execuitive privilage" and the MSM press is all over it.

I think it good for Dr. Paul to speak about a specific issue, not just a general (and old) statement about all liberty for all. He needs to keep fresh, and seperate from the pack (notice how Huckabee is sounding more like Ron Paul).

FSP-Rebel
08-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I think you guys are not giving Dr. Paul enough credit. He has to reach out to new voters, not just preach to the choir.

Goverment secrecy and the current Whitehouse clashes with Congress is a mainstream issue. People are seeing what the abuse of the "execuitive privilage" and the MSM press is all over it.

I think it good for Dr. Paul to speak about a specific issue, not just a general (and old) statement about all liberty for all. He needs to keep fresh, and seperate from the pack (notice how Huckabee is sounding more like Ron Paul).
Good insight, hadn't thought about it like that.

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 11:51 AM

There is really a world of difference between watching the whole debate and reading/seeing sound bites from it as most people will do.

The latter will just make Paul look even better. The debate as a whole was mediocre. But, quotes from Paul in the debate will be very positive.

Slugg
08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
There is really a world of difference between watching the whole debate and reading/seeing sound bites from it as most people will do.

The latter will just make Paul look even better. The debate as a whole was mediocre. But, quotes from Paul in the debate will be very positive.

Ya know, you may be right about that...let's hope he gets some good press from this.

spacebetween
08-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Also, I don't think many have taken his statement into context.

Previously they were discussing Dick Cheney and his power grab. Ron Paul's statement seemed like an extension to that discussion and applied it to the last question.

Borodog
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm sorry, but that last answer by Dr. Paul was total weaksauce.

What are you going to bring back to the presidency/White House? "Transparency"? Blah.

How about liberty? How about the constitution? How about a non-interventionist foreign policy and an end to undeclared never-ending foreign wars?

How about the veto??

When he said that his greatest mistake was not delivering the message of liberty forcefully enough earlier, I did not expect him to back it up with an example.

I love Dr. Paul, but people near him have to give him constructive feedback on these kinds of things. Issues like his earmarks, the shrimp industry protectionism, etc. These are embarrassments to his supporters, and act at counter purposes to the growth of Dr. Paul's support.

Stick to the message of liberty; the message liberty resonates.

jpa
08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
liberty, freedom and restoring the constitution are themes for his campaign. Secrecy in the whitehouse is a specific issue under that theme, which happens to be current and in the press a lot.

I think the message was good, makes a great soundbite. I think the delivery was sub-par.

B964
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree that his statements by themselves sound good. The debate was poor in general.
The local news here is repeating Pauls anti war statement several times, right after coverage of our local soldiers funeral. Of the entire debate that is the only part they are showing.
News 10 Now based in Syracuse NY.

spacebetween
08-05-2007, 12:11 PM
The debate was poor in general.

Yeah, I believe that is the main issue.

freelance
08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
You bring liberty to the people. You bring transparency (I would have preferred that he said truth, but oh well) to the White House.

Edit begins here: You actually restore liberty, you don't bring it. Sorry choice of words I used.