PDA

View Full Version : Report from Freeport Caucus

Rangeley
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I just got back from the caucus in Freeport, and there was a pretty small turnout. There was also quite a bit of press there, and I was interviewed about who I supported and why by PolitickerMe.com, and basically said the big issue for me was someone who would follow the constitution and restore civil liberties. Eventually speakers for Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, and John McCain spoke. Then a non binding show of hands was held, where people expressed their preference for President. Unfortunately, we only came in 2nd with 4 votes, Romney came in first with 10 votes. McCain came in 3rd with 1 vote, and noone else got any votes. I think part of the reason Romney did so well in this town is because a lot of people retire from Massachussetes and move here for "the simple life."

But of course this was only the non binding show of hands vote, after that we elected delegates to go to Augusta in May. I believe all 4 voters for Paul became delegates, including me, and it was totally uncontested as the town had 20 delegate positions and only 10 volunteers. That means there are 10 open spots for delegates from Freeport, to be added at the discretion of the chair of the meeting. This is a good opportunity to find people in town to take the open spots, and also it is something to keep in mind when the rest of the caucuses start in the state - chances are it will be easy for people to become delegates if they want to.

In any case, keep in mind that this certainly wasnt a college town, it only had 3 people under 20 who returned to vote in their home town probably just because it would be one of the earliest towns to vote (at least thats why I went.) If I had to describe the town, its basically where people from other states come to live, so it isnt the typical "gun loving, small government" sort of place that exists elsewhere in the state. So I dont know that we can really draw any trends from this, and I certainly dont want to bring anyone down by saying we only came in second there. What we can take from this early caucus is, its easy to get elected a delegate - which is all that matters - and if people get out there to vote I think they can easily make a huge impact.

liberteebell
01-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Good work! Now, can you find other people to fill those open delegate spots? :)

Rangeley
01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I will certainly try to, and because its non binding people can change their mind at any time, so I am hoping that I can convince some of the others (if not all..) to support Paul when the time comes.

CGMike
01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Yup the final delegate count from Freeport was

Romney: 5
Paul: 4
McCain: 1

10 delegates are open...down here in Portland we've identified 3 people from Freeport who are pro-paul but either couldn't make it to the firehouse to caucus or came too late. We're working tomorrow to get them in as delegates for the town.

me3
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Not to complain, but 4 voters from a town of nearly 8,000?

CGMike
01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Voter Apathy is really to blame. Hell, Romney got 10 votes according to the straw poll but only 5 committed to actually be delegates which is what really matters. 15 total caucusers out of a total of 8,000...according to the GOP chair in Freeport who I was talking to before the caucus began, its 3 times the size of what he normaly gets for a caucus.

It comes back to the fact...the Republican party in this state is ripe for a takeover by liberty-minded individuals with Ron Paul as the catalyst.

SteveMartin
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Low turnout is PERFECT for us. Thanks for the reports.

Don't be discouraged about Freeport. It is a snobbish, wealthy, mini-Boston, and not at all representative of the vast majority of the state. To get 4 out of 10 delegates out of that place is very impressive work.

KUDOS!

CGMike
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Upon further research, I believe the Freeport GOP chair got it wrong (not that I'm surprised it was a mess of a caucus)...According to http://www.meliberty.org the Town of Freeport is allotted 15 delegates to the state convention in Augusta. So I think 20 is the total number including alternates (15 delegates and 5 alternates)

slacker921
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
lots of info here.. good pics, videos, etc.

http://www.politickerme.com/freeport-turnout-higher-expected-voters-choose-romney-709

"Fifteen registered voters came – 10 for Mitt Romney, four for Ron Paul and one for John McCain. Nobody voted for Mike Huckabee."

kirkblitz
01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
so when are the state delegates for the canidates picked for the convention?

Rangeley
01-31-2008, 07:33 AM
That will be held on May 3rd.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
I just got back from the caucus in Freeport [...]

Good work. But why today? I thought the caucuses began tomorrow.

CGMike
01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Actually according to the State GOP bylaws, any town in Maine can hold its caucus between January 1st and March 30th. However the State GOP "encouraged" towns to hold the caucus on the 1st to the 3rd in order to increase Maine's importance in the national picture. The towns going early (Freeport, Dennistown and Moose River) scheduled it at times that were convienent for the town clerk to show up to take registrations, which happend to be before this weekend for various reasons.

Sweman
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Actually according to the State GOP bylaws, any town in Maine can hold its caucus between January 1st and March 30th. However the State GOP "encouraged" towns to hold the caucus on the 1st to the 3rd in order to increase Maine's importance in the national picture. The towns going early (Freeport, Dennistown and Moose River) scheduled it at times that were convienent for the town clerk to show up to take registrations, which happend to be before this weekend for various reasons.

Thank you for the answer. Fascinatingly complex, this primary season is...

thompsonisland
01-31-2008, 01:23 PM
I think the voters are also led to believe that the Maine caucus doesn't matter, so why would they show? The straw poll is non-binding, then there is another convention. Plus, at least here, it is a pretty big time commitment. I don't imagine that someone who isn't committed to the issues would give up most of their Saturday, you know?