PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul at a Rally VS Ron Paul at a debate

Ronstock '08
08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
It seems to me that Dr Paul does really well at Rallies where he knows everyone loves him and supports him. He seems more relaxed, jokes around and gets aggressive on his talking points too.

On the other hand at nationally televised debates he seems a little tense and "on edge". I guess he realizes so many people like us are depending on him and he feels so much pressure to do well.

The "polished" guys like Romney and Giuliani seem very much at ease like they're taking a walk in the park.

Someone in the campaign should counsel Dr Paul and get him to "chill out" a little, lighten up a little and not feel like he has the world on his shoulders in these debate.

Just MHO

abstrusezincate
08-05-2007, 10:27 AM
We spent a lot of time talking about this in our group and we came up with a theory as to why Ron speaks as he does. I don't think he sees one point of his platform as more important than any other because they all mutually reinforce one another to build a coherent plan. He doesn't go for the zinger that other candidates do, picking a single issue to prioritize, because he doesn't think that way.

It is why he delivers such an excellent speech, but why his views don't compress well into thirty second fragments. They always ask what you believe, but never why. For Ron, the why is so important.

Still, it is okay. We're going to continue getting the word out, and as people drop (and they will), we will have more time to speak.

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, as I mentioned elsewhere:

It's like selecting your brain surgeon based on how fast they can operate in 30 seconds.

Ronstock '08
08-05-2007, 10:39 AM
We spent a lot of time talking about this in our group and we came up with a theory as to why Ron speaks as he does. I don't think he sees one point of his platform as more important than any other because they all mutually reinforce one another to build a coherent plan. He doesn't go for the zinger that other candidates do, picking a single issue to prioritize, because he doesn't think that way.

It is why he delivers such an excellent speech, but why his views don't compress well into thirty second fragments. They always ask what you believe, but never why. For Ron, the why is so important.

Still, it is okay. We're going to continue getting the word out, and as people drop (and they will), we will have more time to speak.

You just gave me an idea. Maybe Dr. Paul needs to borrow a page from Ross Perot's playbook.....a thirty minute TV "infomercial" where he has time to go beyond the 30 sound response. This is a format where RP would do well.

One small problem. Perot had 3 billion in the bank. Ron Paul doesn't.

I remember that a LOT of people tuned in to those Perot programs (with his charts and graphs) That was definitely thinking outside the box.

james1906
08-05-2007, 10:49 AM
He's a doctor, many of these other guys are lawyers. Doctors try to talk in relaxed settings with a few people, lawyers are the opposite.

In one on one in person interviews, he does great.

Kuldebar
08-05-2007, 10:51 AM
He's a doctor, many of these other guys are lawyers. Doctors try to talk in relaxed settings with a few people, lawyers are the opposite.

In one on one in person interviews, he does great.

And Mitt took a look at that Family Guy episode and liked what he saw:

"Has he forgotten about 9/11?" "Has he forgotten about 9/11?"

VIDEO: Ron Paul: ‘We achieved much more in peace than…unconstitutional, undeclared wars (http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=3958)

james1906
08-05-2007, 10:56 AM
And Mitt took a look at that Family Guy episode and liked what he saw:

"Has he forgotten about 9/11?" "Has he forgotten about 9/11?"

VIDEO: Ron Paul: ‘We achieved much more in peace than…unconstitutional, undeclared wars (http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=3958)

Mitt trying to interrupt with 9/11 during Ron's time on Iraq, what a fucking doofus. Those hair care products are seeping into and eroding his brain.

Ronstock '08
08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Mitt trying to interrupt with 9/11 during Ron's time on Iraq, what a fucking doofus. Those hair care products are seeping into and eroding his brain.

Dr Paul missed an opportunity to do a slap down of Romney at that point :(

SeanEdwards
08-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I think a big part of it is that these debate formats that only allow 30 seconds to answer or less rattle him. He is very measured in his choice of words and tries to be precise, but this also makes him a little slower. Giuliani doesn't have this problem, because it's easy for him to blurt out 9/11 a few times in 30 seconds. Paul is trying to figure out how to condense Austrian Economic theory into 3 sentences.