PDA

View Full Version : HuffingtonPost: The Paradox of Ron Paul

GHoeberX
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
The Paradox of Ron Paul by Heath Calvert

I'd been walking around sharing the phrase "fire it up" for about three weeks, borrowing glittery talking points about the exciting race between the first possible female and the first possible African-American president, but I still felt like I didn't understand what changes these candidates were positing other than a replacement nameplate on the oval office desk. If you'd told me at the start of this presidential primary that I'd take off work and roadtrip to New Hampshire and South Carolina for the campaign of a pro-life republican from Texas, I'd have probably jump kicked you in the chest. In his defense, he's from Pittsburgh.

Who is this man, and how did I find him since you can't find him anywhere in television or print? I was sweeping my bedroom passively watching the Republican debates, when, somewhere between Romney's "I'd double the size of Guantanamo" and Guiliani's 37th invocation of 9-11, a soft spoken man you'd only know from C-SPAN2 started talking about the Constitution. He continued stating that we had armed Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, that we've been bombing Iraq since the end of the 1st Persian Gulf War, to remember that the CIA had overthrown Iran in the fifties, and that if we had followed the aforementioned Constitution perhaps we wouldn't have gotten ourselves into so much "mischief." I blurted out something that sounded like "wrudafuk." What presidential candidate uses CIA and the word "mischief" in the same sentence? Then he offers to give Rudy Guiliani a reading list, and "blowback" becomes a familiar word to a lot more people than those who read Chalmers Johnson or the latest National Intelligence Estimates. I become a fan of Dr. Ron Paul.

I began internet researching in my obsessive fashion and eventually discovered some Ron Paul videos on YouTube from rallies around the country. He talked about things like eliminating the IRS, our history of meddling in foreign governments, dissolving the Federal Reserve, ending the war on drugs, and pardoning all non-violent drug offenders. I had no idea what he was talking about, and neither does America.

Ron Paul is a paradox. He is a ten-term Texas congressman who voted against the Iraq War, the Patriot Act, the Real ID Act, internet regulation, those acts last year that stripped Habeas Corpus and Posse Commitatis, plus this week's Democrat sponsored Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act (a precursor to internet filtering and University monitoring by the Department of Homeland Security). Democrats shutdown when they see the letter "R" next to the word Texas, and Republicans can't say "he's not a republican" enough. He will quickly remind you that Republicans used to be the antiwar party, and in fact George Bush had been elected on a promise to stop policing the world. Republicans used to be the party of small government, fiscal responsibility, and sound money. Now sound money isn't a sexy topic, but those listening to Ron Paul are starting to wake up to the gravity of what threats can be brought by a steeply declining currency, ballooning debt, excessive militarism combined with over extension, and a government that seems more interested in collecting data on it's own citizenry and protecting corporate marketshare than preventing future attacks.

We can fundamentally change our idea of what our government should be, and return to constitutional principles. Ron Paul's position is that the government shouldn't coddle us from cradle to grave. Central bankers like the Federal Reserve, which isn't part of the federal government, shouldn't have the power to manipulate the worth of our currency and thus our way of life. His position is that we shouldn't police the world or unconstitutionally interfere through bureaucracies like the CIA. Only Congress has the power to declare war. Plus, we can't afford it anyway. We don't need the IRS harassing American citizens and taking our hard earned money and sending it out for destinations unknown. In fact, let's eliminate it. We'll pay for it by bringing home our soldiers from around the world, saving over a trillion dollars. While you're giving us our taxed dollars back, we'd also like you to return those civil liberties you've been whittling away at so you can give lucrative contracts to the homeland security/military industrial sector company you're going to quit the government to start, run, or lobby for.

Much is said about the national constituency of Ron Paul, more often than not describing them as "young 9-11 truthers," or "hillbilly Libertarian whackos," but the campaign that Ron Paul has built is a revolution, and it is growing. Ron Paul, despite being ignored by mainstream press, trounced republican opponents with over 18 million in grassroots fundraising last quarter alone. Rudy Guiliani could drop out after coming in third in Florida. Mike Huckabee doesn't have the funds to finish. John McCain, despite a voting record similar to Clinton, will most likely lead the delegate count with Romney trailing close behind. What will be the interesting story is Ron Paul staying in the race (he leads in fundraising, he also leads in contributions from active military personnel), bringing a significant enough number of delegates to the convention to possibly decide who becomes nominee. After canvassing in New Hampshire and South Carolina, I'll tell you that most people are undecided and will vote for whomever the tv tells them to. Ask Ron Paul supporters and they'll tell you that Ron Paul's success may not be seen by him gaining the most votes in this election, but his ability to positively influence the Republican party's platform now and in the future.

Doctor Paul is indeed curing apathy. In fact, listening to him speak, at times, can be like receiving a medical diagnosis. I had never been active in the political process. Nor had most the people I'd met for that matter. They were all just curious to hear this man with so many seemingly common sense ideas that the establishment branded radical. What's so radical about our Constitution? The Constitution was written to restrict the government, not the people. Give me a choice between three lawyers and an ex-Air Force flight surgeon that's delivered four thousand babies. I'll take the doctor anyday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heath-calvert/the-paradox-of-ron-paul_b_84148.html

Nice to know we have won someone over at Huffington Post!

firebirdnation
01-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Excellent read, thanks for posting it.

Mandrik
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Excellent article. My only advice is to just have a portion of it in your post so people go to the link to read it. :)

Mystile
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
this is a really great article.

JeffersonThomas
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Bump! This should be spread. Good Stuff

Deborah K
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Damn, that was good! Wish I'd written it.

Agora
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Finally something worth reading there on the Subject.

RucdelaSpook
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
No comments? Could we try to reward the guy by giving him web hits, and comments and thanking him? I think that'd be nice.

(The huffington post also had this article written by a real b!tch saying that New Hampshire was demanding a recount because it "wanted attention." I remember that one getting comments.)

I have to get to the bus right now... :(

tsetsefly
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
great article, comment on it!

billyjoeallen
01-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Much better than what you normally find in Huffpo.

Cinderella
01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice Read ;)

LandonCook
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
yes!

offroadaz
01-30-2008, 06:32 PM
click on the link and digg his story
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heath-calvert/the-paradox-of-ron-paul_b_84148.html

chelu
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Check out HuffPo home page. Notice the graphic they use for their top story. And to think, many there blast Rupert Murdoch for they way he operates his media.

Danny Molina
01-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Excellent article.

Dugg.

gharalam
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
HE opened a paradoxial blackhole! JUMP IN

sharpsteve2003
01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Make sure you click on it to give it some hits at Huffington post and leave a thanks. We need to do this with positive articles and ignore the rest.

Thomas Paine
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
There is no paradox. Ron Paul has been a consistent conservative in the tradition of Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan. The paradox is that intellectual midgets like Sean Hannity, William Kristol, Charles Krauthammer, George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh continue to deceive themselves and their pathetic followers that they are somehow conservative when they are really nothing more than a 21st Century Republican version of the Comintern.

sharpsteve2003
01-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I can't believe this has has only gotten 5 comments. If everyone can jump all over fox and every other piece of crap news story then you had better jump on something positive. No wonder there is only bad press, because we drive it up by directing everyone to click on it and let them know how pissed we are.

Finally a GREAT Article is posted and what response does it get .....Nothing. We are our own worst enemy!!!!

Go there Read it and leave a comment. Yes you have to sign in to leave a comment, but for once you will be building up a Good story instead of a bad one.

Andrew76
01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
"There is no paradox. Ron Paul has been a consistent conservative in the tradition of Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan. The paradox is that intellectual midgets like Sean Hannity, William Kristol, Charles Krauthammer, George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh continue to deceive themselves and their pathetic followers that they are somehow conservative when they are really nothing more than a 21st Century Republican version of the Comintern."

Hahaaaa! Zingggg! :D

Yes, a truly wonderful article from Huffington Post. I tried to leave a comment in order to a) thank the write and congratulate him on his superior taste in candidates and b) rebut some of the nonsense already sprouting there. You must register with Huffpo first - a process that can take 24 hours to approve? Nice. Well, I'll leave my comment in 24 hours then, jerks.

sharpsteve2003
01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
[B][I]You must register with Huffpo first - a process that can take 24 hours to approve? Nice. Well, I'll leave my comment in 24 hours then, jerks.

It usually goes through much faster but even if it does take 24 hours it's worth it. when I signed up , a long time ago, it went thru within an hour. thanks.