PDA

View Full Version : The reason we don't canvass.

dcdreamboat
01-30-2008, 12:14 PM
It's not that you're unmotivated.

It's not that you don't want Ron Paul to win.

It's not even that you don't want to walk out in the cold.

It's because you're SHY!!! GET OVER IT!!!

That little pain you feel in your solar plexus? IT'LL GO AWAY!!!

Here's how you minimize that pain . . .

READ A NOTE CARD!!!!

ANYTHING is better than just sitting at home and sending YouTube links to the choir. STOP THAT AND MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL!!!!

NOW GO SIGN UP FOR PRECINCT LEADER!!!!!

PUSSIES!!!!

sgrooms
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
ditto

Redcard
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't think because they're shy.

I think it's because people are overestimating the impact of the internet to the point that they feel that time spent here is worth more than time spent there.

This method could easily win an election in thirty years.

But currently, it's not viable on its own. It needs face to face. Every person, every family, house to house, block to block, county to county, state to state.

And, the only canvassers who went by my parents house before the election showed up looking dirty, they stumbled around their words, it looked like they hadn't washed their hands, , their promotional materials had cocacola spilled on them, and their breath reaked.

When people show up like that, nothing they say, do, or hand out is going to be of any value. Their opinions are already wasted before they even open their mouth.

deedles
01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
The other thing I tell my meetup members that are initially shy is "just get some literature out to each house in your precinct! Don't worry about knocking on doors if that is what is stopping you."

I figure if someone won't do anything but will do that... well, that is better than nothing. And you know darn well someone is going to open the door and say 'hi'. Instant canvassing!

mysticgeek
01-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Agreed ... in fact I just convinced one of my co-workers to at least check out RP. I have a slim propped up on my desk and she asked "who is Ron Paul". Perfect opportunity to give them some lit or a link ... anything.

Yeah ... if you shy don't sweat it ... it's not like you have to sit and argue with everyone. getting the name out and some info about the message is better than being a closet supporter!

virginiakid
01-30-2008, 12:34 PM
ground troops + Internet support =Success

justatrey
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
lol, yep this is me. I'm a wimp but at least I can admit it!

OK back to sending You Tubes to already converted friends and family. :D

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM

READ A NOTE CARD!!!!

ANYTHING is better than just sitting at home and sending YouTube links to the choir. STOP THAT AND MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL!!!!

PUSSIES!!!!

We need to develop effective "scripts" for people. Nobody hires a telemarketer and then sits them in front of a phone book expecting them to call people and sell product X from scratch. By just calling them pussies, that's where you're leaving them.

There may even be scripts in this forum somehwere, but I don't know where they are. People need structure to start doing something they've never done before. They need to know how to approach, when to eject early, and how to eject late so they aren't stuck with time wasters.

If you can point people in the direction of an ABC tutorial, complete with words they can rehearse and situations they can expect to encounter, that's the direction to go in.

Coola
01-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Internet Support = Intel
Canvassing = Spec. Ops
Sign Waving = Ground War
Donating = Airstrikes

Neomatrix
01-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I'll just leave work right now and go out and canvass! Screw my paycheck! Oh damn, I need money to contribute and eat. Apparently there are A LOT of people on this internets.
What is going on here?

fade
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't have any slimjims so i don't go canvass.....

pacelli
01-30-2008, 01:45 PM

READ A NOTE CARD!!!!

PUSSIES!!!!

You'd better watch it with the "we" stuff. Some of us are busting our asses out here. :p

pebcak
01-30-2008, 01:46 PM
...because I'm in Nebraska and our primary isn't until May. :(

hopeforamerica
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Lamest excuse ever! Print some flyers. 50 to 100 hundred wont cost much at all. OR use the phone numbers on the list and call people = free.

Goldwater Conservative
01-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Honestly, I think many people are just bummed about how much the media shuts Paul out and swats him down. You not only have to introduce the man (which I don't think any of us mind doing) but you have to overcome the "I don't want to waste my vote" mentality. I know many of us have followed up on people who we reached out to only to find that they decided to switch at the last minute. Then again, I live in Florida, and the winner-take-all nature of our primary really made it a two-man horse race in the closing days.

fade
01-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Lamest excuse ever! Print some flyers. 50 to 100 hundred wont cost much at all. OR use the phone numbers on the list and call people = free.

I've been to iowa for the students for ron paul christmas vacation. The best results I got were with professional looking slimjims, because thats what the front runners are using. Even edwards was using really nice looking slimjims.

Sure I could canvass my neighborhood with people I know with some crappy flyers, but I highly doubt my results would be as good. And I have started phone banking fyi.

Neomatrix
01-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Do you have a printer? There are many good fliers on these internets. Meet up members usually have slim jims for FREE! FREE I tell ya. :) and why is jim slim?

specsaregood
01-30-2008, 01:51 PM
You'd better watch it with the "we" stuff. Some of us are busting our asses out here. :p

Exactly. If you are shy, look for one of the people in your area busting their ass off and go with them. You'll get over it quick.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Exactly. If you are shy, look for one of the people in your area busting their ass off and go with them. You'll get over it quick.

We should set up a canvass-buddy project, where people can look for other people willing to canvass in their general area.

It doesn't even have to be a mentor-type thing... just two newbies willing to do it is a lot better than expecting one shy newbie to do it alone.

specsaregood
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
We should set up a canvass-buddy project, where people can look for other people willing to canvass in their general area.

It doesn't even have to be a mentor-type thing... just two newbies willing to do it is a lot better than expecting one shy newbie to do it alone.

Thats pretty much what we do in our area. We always team up newbies with veterans. Only takes an hour or less before they are amped up and wanting to do it alone.

VoluntaryMan
01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
1) Buddy-up.

2) Get your materials ready.

3) Select an area.

4) Drive (walk) to selected area.

5) Get out of the car.

6) Go to the door.

7) Knock.

8) When door opens, begin speaking.

9) Repeat steps 6 through 8.

rtil
01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I've been canvassing, so i don't know what you're talking about.

bdennis5
01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree that a lot of people seem to be too shy (but maybe hesitant because of the nature of the content) to want to hit the door steps and let people know about Dr. Paul. The first door is the hardest you will have the jitters and think what am I doing ringing this persons doorbell just to tell them about a presidential candidate. Don't worry look at the precinct leader count we are out doing this already we just need more people to take action. Join us, it wont be like a money bomb where we can see everyone else doing it at the same time as us we just have to step out and start by going to the first door.

As for scripts I say speaking from the heart is the key. If it is cold in your area this will be self evident when you ring the doorbell and they answer. They are thinking what kind of money do they have to be paying this person to go door to door for this candidate. Play on that. Let them know right off that you are a local supporter excited to get the word out about a candidate that inspires you to the level of getting out and going door to door on his behalf for FREE!!!

If you have your precinct paperwork you may have a headstart on what that household key issue is. If so use that as your lead off. I think Ron Paul has the best voting record on (the issue listed on your walking sheet) you can see his votes on his web page at RonPaul2008.com

I then hand them the slim-jim and action card and ask them if they have other issues they look for when deciding on a presidential candidate. A lot of times they can't think of one so they revert back to your lead off statement with the issue on the walking list for that house. You then tell them thanks and that you hope they will read the materials and look him up on the internet to find out more for themselves.

Super easy.

The fun ones are when they open up and discuss the topics that are key to them. Abortion is the biggest in my area. I really try to relate with them and let them know Ron's stance on how we can finally make change (state laws instead of Federal) and at least we could here in Arkansas decide for ourselves without the liberals up North telling us our Tax dollars need to go to fund the abortions.

Key is as pointed above dress nice and don’t start on the conspiracy stuff. Keep it simple unless they start to open up and are passionate about something then the chance is yours to show why Ron stands for the issues they are big on.

You have already internalized Ron's message now it is time to share it with others.

*I know it is sunlight hours so I should be canvassing but I am at work during the week behind the desk so I cant but the weekends are completely dedicated to it.

mavtek
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm going to canvass on Saturday, but I just hope I'm canvassing for a reason. That means those of you who are in Super Tuesday states need to really come through for those of us who are after Super Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.

bdennis5
01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I've been to iowa for the students for ron paul christmas vacation. The best results I got were with professional looking slimjims, because thats what the front runners are using. Even edwards was using really nice looking slimjims.

Sure I could canvass my neighborhood with people I know with some crappy flyers, but I highly doubt my results would be as good. And I have started phone banking fyi.

Fade, Where are you located. If you went to Iowa you have already been door to door. I will buy you some nice slim jims if you pledge to get them in peoples hands. What state are you in? Also have you checked with a HQ office close to you? Or even a Meetup in your area. We order them as a group then we can get the specific slimjims we need for the walking list.

Let me know I am serious I will buy them for you.

AdamT
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Shy people see thread here. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104112)

fade
01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Fade, Where are you located. If you went to Iowa you have already been door to door. I will buy you some nice slim jims if you pledge to get them in peoples hands. What state are you in? Also have you checked with a HQ office close to you? Or even a Meetup in your area. We order them as a group then we can get the specific slimjims we need for the walking list.

Let me know I am serious I will buy them for you.

I'm in kansas. I went door to door for 6 hours a day for 9 days. I guess thats probably more than most people that are actively canvassing now. The reason I haven't purchased is because I've heard the campaign was taking 3-4 weeks to get the products out.

I tried to get in contact with my meetup group but haven't had a response, I usually have work during their meetups.

John P Slevin
01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
We need to develop effective "scripts" for people. Nobody hires a telemarketer and then sits them in front of a phone book expecting them to call people and sell product X from scratch. By just calling them pussies, that's where you're leaving them.

If you can point people in the direction of an ABC tutorial, complete with words they can rehearse and situations they can expect to encounter, that's the direction to go in.

I've been doing phone and in person canvass professionally for many years; I've donated my help to others on this forum and will be glad to help anyone who needs a script for calling, or help on how to canvass effectively.

Just PM and/or email directaction@yahoo.com or call me 916-635-4662. In your email let me know where you are located and I can get you a good script within a day or so.

wgadget
01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
If nothing else, do what I've been doing. Make up customized slimjim packets and deliver them to MAILBOX FLAGS (note: not IN mailboxes). I put a little note on it with my name, phone number, and polling location, and asked them if they need a yard sign or bumper sticker.

You can do that even if you're shy, and I am very shy.

dcdreamboat
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Excuses, excuses, excuses! ENOUGH!!!

Are you guys living in cardboard boxes on the side of the road??

You can get 100 slim jims for FOUR DOLLARS from the campaign's website.

And no, you don't want to canvass during the work day.

Between 7 and 9 PM is the best. Everyone's home and doing nothing of importance, LIKE WATCHING MSM.

Counterattack with a knock at the door!!!!

Brad Zink
01-30-2008, 03:04 PM
You can get 500 slim jims for $15 from the campaign website.

Slim Jim A
http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/catalog/slimjim1.jpg

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Detail?no=7

And you can get 800 Liberty Cards for $26 from LibertyCard.org.

Liberty Cards
http://www.libertytalk.com/images/general_front.jpg

http://www.libertycard.org

smartpeople4ronpaul
01-30-2008, 03:06 PM
bump

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I've been doing phone and in person canvass professionally for many years; I've donated my help to others on this forum and will be glad to help anyone who needs a script for calling, or help on how to canvass effectively.

Just PM and/or email directaction@yahoo.com or call me 916-635-4662. In your email let me know where you are located and I can get you a good script within a day or so.

I think it would help a lot if this forum were more prominent...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214

I think more people would be willing to go door to door if they saw more supportive materials for it.

At one time, many believed Paul didn't receive media attention because he wasn't on the radar. It's pretty clear these days that door to door isn't just an effective way, but it's almost the only way.

In my case, I'll be going door to door in a state where the primaries are already over. So, I definitely need to craft a new script. But, I'm thinking this... the job isn't over until November.

Mahkato
01-30-2008, 03:22 PM
DO NOT WAIT FOR SLIM JIMS TO ARRIVE! You will waste a week waiting for your shipment. You NEED to get out there with SOMETHING right away. Print it off, make it up yourself, whatever.

ckhagen
01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
We figured out the trick here (some of our area is rural and requires a lot of wasted time walking down dirt roads).

We discovered that having 3 people working together was best. One to drive (good job for shy people!) and two to get out and walk/knock. The driver would follow us and pick us up and drop us off at the next nearest houses.

Also...
this may sound silly, but it really, really helped to have a woman and man knocking on the doors. People did not respond well to one person knocking and responded pretty badly to one man knocking. But and man and a nice, chatty woman really knocked it out of the park. We got lots of promises to vote for him like that.

TastyWheat
02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Don't be shy! Most people are not only cooperative they're glad to see you. Although I don't recommend this, it eats up a lot of valuable time, I've sat down with people on their front porch and just talked politics for 10 or 20 minutes. Some people are actually glad to be interrupted. If someone doesn't want to talk they'll probably just say, "No thanks," and you move on.

Most people aren't like us, most people don't thoroughly research each candidate. They step up to that ballot box and make a decision based on whatever the news and the paper tells them. So you can assume they've heard nothing or at least nothing positive about Ron Paul.

Imagine what your visit can do! The slim jim you hand out probably tells them more about Ron Paul than they've ever heard on tv. You can help them make an informed decision and not a last-minute decision. The media isn't doing their job so we have to bring the information to the voters.

angelatc
02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
SPeaking for the shy people....those of us that are shy do not naturally engage people when we do take that chance. It's like they know how hard we're working on conversing.

SOme people can just let that stuff roll right off their backs, but not all of us can do that. I can't begin to tell you how freaking much I hated the precinct captain work, to the point that I cried a couple of times before forcing myself to pick up that phone. If you're not shy you can't understand.

But I did pick up that phone, again and again. ANd I was rewarded enough to keep me coming back for more, too.

All things considered though, I'd rather do anything but cold calling and door knocking. I tiwll take a special candidate to get me to do it again.

slamhead
02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I was the last guy you would expect to go knock on doors. I doubled my precincts expectation. I actually found canvasing very enjoyable. Now get out there and canvas. Find some hottie from your meetup and make a date of it.

TastyWheat
02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, phone banking is probably a lot more stressful than door-to-door. You can't hand them literature so you pretty much half to talk more unless you're doing a non-advocacy script. I don't recommend the pure non-advocacy script either for the sake of saving time (rather than calling them back later to advocate Ron Paul). So if it's not too inconvenient and you have a fair amount of time just go door-to-door.

WRellim
02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Actually the reason I'm not out canvassing today -- is that IT'S JUST BECOME FRIGGING INSANELY COLD outside again (as in ZERO degrees Farenheit).

But everything this guy says is entirely true -- if you're excuse is that you're shy... well B.S. most people aren't home anyway (so the canvassing becomes mainly lit drops); they few people who ARE home are normally really easy to talk with. Occasionally, someone is a bit rude... but normally that is because they were busy, were NOT exactly expecting you, and you interrupted something they were doing.

And the answer to that is simple: Apologize for bothering them (it works wonders!) and then offer them some info. If they reject it, THANK THEM for their time and move on.

That's really all their is to it.