PDA

View Full Version : Caucus dress attire

regoarrarr
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
So, I know that many people aren't down with "the man" telling them how to dress and such, but I would hope that our supporters that are going to the caucus (and especially those running for delegates!!) would dress professionally.

See this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=98723&highlight=dress) from a Louisiana delegate

They were all dressed very professionally, suits, ties, clean cut, etc. I had been working so hard I was dressed in just pants and a long-sleeve t-shirt type of top. Most of the RP people were dressed in jeans and RP shirts, etc.

I think as a constructive criticism for the next caucuses/primaries in other states.... they LOOKED like they out-classed us. They LOOKED like church-going people... they LOOKED like they had good jobs, etc.

We LOOKED messy. (I'm sorry to say it but it has been bothering me since last night... this is something we SHOULD have anticipated).

I have exceptionally nice dress clothes and I should have worn them. I really think it made a difference with a few votes.

That's just my impression.... anyone else feel free to counter. I'm not saying I'm right... I'm just saying I noticed the diffence last night.

Just a thought from an Ohioan who doesn't vote for almost another 2 months

MrCobaltBlue
01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
aww I was going to wear my unbuttoned flannel shirt, a bright orange hunting hat, a shirt that says "Fuck you" on it, ripped jeans and my mudin boots.

You know, normal Maine attire. :)

Bilgefisher
01-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I would be careful looking to fancy. Mainers don't really go for that sort of thing.

subdefective
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Agreed, a lot of Mainers don't trust people who look too high-falutin'. I'm just going to dress how I normally dress.

DirtMcGirt
01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I would say no hats and leave the RP gear in the car...Good luck!!!

IrishUp
01-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Dress like you're going to a job interview.

bkreigh
01-30-2008, 07:40 PM
So i shouldn't wear my Colts hat to the caucus?

CGMike
01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
The only thing that will get you lynched quicker in Maine than a colts hat is wearing a Jets hat :)

and if you show up to a caucus (especially up in the northern counties) "dressed to the nines" your going to just be pegged as someone "from away" as mainahs call anyone who wasn't born here. If there's one thing that Mainers truly hate, its someone "from away" trying to tell them what to do or, in this case, who to vote for

Bilgefisher
01-30-2008, 09:53 PM
The only thing that will get you lynched quicker in Maine than a colts hat is wearing a Jets hat :)

and if you show up to a caucus (especially up in the northern counties) "dressed to the nines" your going to just be pegged as someone "from away" as mainahs call anyone who wasn't born here. If there's one thing that Mainers truly hate, its someone "from away" trying to tell them what to do or, in this case, who to vote for

I had to grin :) well said.

MrCobaltBlue
01-31-2008, 08:14 AM

Yessah.

thompsonisland
01-31-2008, 08:40 AM
It's a fine line. Gotta look nice, but Maine-style. Canadian tuxedo, perhaps? My husband and I are taking our toddler, and emphasizing the fact that it is HIS future we are concerned about. No open support of Paul, but support of his platform. Plus, he is really cute and charming and will create a point of entry into conversations. I expect to see some lighter shades of pale in the hair department!

CGMike
01-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Hell, if Freeport is any indication of the rest of the state...pretty much all you have to do is show up dressed however and you can be a delegate. Time and time again I've noticed that voter apathy is huge in this state both from canvassing and from last night!

Tim724
01-31-2008, 10:06 AM
It's a fine line. Gotta look nice, but Maine-style. Canadian tuxedo, perhaps? My husband and I are taking our toddler, and emphasizing the fact that it is HIS future we are concerned about. No open support of Paul, but support of his platform. Plus, he is really cute and charming and will create a point of entry into conversations. I expect to see some lighter shades of pale in the hair department!

What's a Canadian Tuxedo?

The Minister
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
What's a Canadian Tuxedo?

All denim. All the time.

dax702
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I actually disagree with the dressing professionally part, to a degree. The vast majority of people come to the caucus dressed in their everyday clothes. And if you come all decked out in a suit, then you look like the establishment instead of a neighbor. It's probably more of a subconscious thing but I wouldn't go in there looking like a politician. Go as you are and as everyone else does, but deliver your strong message =)

bkreigh
01-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Ill stick with my everyday carhartt pants and sweatshirt! I guess ill wear my Butler hat which has a similar logo to the Red Sox.

As for me i have never been called "far away" it is always "you flatlander." It cracks me up and i just laugh along. If you cant laugh at yourself who can you laugh at.

DFF
01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Don't show up to these caucuses like we did in LA. Make sure and wear a nice dress shirt, slacks and tie.

bkreigh
01-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Don't show up to these caucuses like we did in LA. Make sure and wear a nice dress shirt, slacks and tie.

Not up here. Maybe a sweater but nothing to fancy unless you work in the city. These rural places not to many people wear that stuff up here.

Its not like else where in the US. I get the feeling up here that if somebody wears a suit ad tie they are not looked at as "Wow! He must be smart and have a great job." Its more like "Wow. This guy must be going to a funeral or he thinks he is better than us." Just a thought. Now if you live in Beverly Hills then yes! Dress up in your proda (sp?) Gucci (sp?) Louis Vitan (sp?) crap. Image is not a important up here which i love!!!

devil21
02-01-2008, 03:36 AM
When in Rome....

For caucusing, what applies in Iowa will not apply in Maine. Nor will it apply in Texas. Think about how the Las Vegas strip employees looked while caucusing! Wear whatever your local people will expect.

Mopsus
02-01-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm gonna have to go with respect the demographic of your precinct. You know your friends and neighbors, and chances are you'll dress like them. Be credible. Maybe leave the 'official bikini inspector' cap in the car, but go with your community's flow. Some are "stuffier" than others.

Johncjackson
02-02-2008, 12:25 PM
In one of the Ron Paul articles it mentioned an underdog candidate winning Maine before, and it was attributed to wearing a flannel shirt.

RufusTDoofus
02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Ill stick with my everyday carhartt pants and sweatshirt!
I wore my nice pair of flannel-lined Carhartt jeans, an LL Bean brown flannel shirt and my North Face boots. That's pretty much exactly how everyone else in the room was dressed.

RufusTDoofus
02-02-2008, 01:17 PM
When Ron Paul was in Maine earlier this week (http://www.rufusthedoofus.com/articles/107/we-met-ron-paul-today) he didn't even wear a tie. He fit right in.

In contrast, and no disrespect intended, Ken Lindell wore a three piece suit and a bow tie to the event. Before I knew who he was I thought to myself "Who's the goofball in the bow tie, I bet he was a Woodcock supporter." (For those that don't know local politics Chandler Woodcock was our Mike Huckabee in the last gubernatorial election. Unfortunately he won the primary.)

tamor
02-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Do you want to look like a leader or one of the crowd? I would say a nice shirt & tie

bkreigh
02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I wore my nice pair of flannel-lined Carhartt jeans, an LL Bean brown flannel shirt and my North Face boots. That's pretty much exactly how everyone else in the room was dressed.

ahh i got the fleece lined jeans. Man are they nice. I wore a RP long sleeve t-shirt under my carhartt thermal hoodie and carhartt boots and belt. Im a carhartt freak if you cant tell. The best clothes in the world IMO. The only time i have to get a new pair of pants is when i gain a couple inches. Those boots i got were on sale for $70 at Renny's. I thought i was robbing them when i bought em. The traction on the boots is great. I havent fell on my ass yet this year. Although i had a close call when i walking out to my car this morning. I did a little bobble then i jump in the air and landed on my feat somehow. I probably looked like a fool doing it but i thought i was hot shit for not falling down! :D