PDA

View Full Version : SKS Rifle question

chudrockz
01-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Good morning!

Someone was hyping sks rifles in another thread here (newbie gun questions I think) a week or so ago. Since then I have researched them somewhat, and concluded that *I want one*!

There is a local gun show this weekend I'm inclined to attend and possibly purchase one.

HOWEVER, I have cause for concern. My brother-in-law said that in 2010 they ("assault weapons" of which the sks is apparently one) will become illegal to own. He said this is why so many are selling them so cheaply, because the feds are gonna grab 'em in a couple of years.

Now, my brother-in-law is often full of shit, but I'm still concerned.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to what he claims??

Would love to know this before I go and buy one this weekend!

Thanks.

Kingfisher
01-30-2008, 06:37 AM
I have not heard this. I have an SKS and I like it.

charger
01-30-2008, 06:52 AM
I am not awar of any ban. The old Assult weapon ban expired.

benny215
01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
good luck to any politicians who try to confiscate personally owned firearms. gun owners aren't going to just give up their guns and they will most likely have a riot on their hands.

StonewallJacksonJenkins
01-30-2008, 09:19 AM
I know a lot of people that are willing to give up their firearms, right after they give up their ammunition.

chudrockz
01-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I know a lot of people that are willing to give up their firearms, right after they give up their ammunition.

That's pretty good! I'm one of them!

I know of the "old" Clinton-era "assault weapons ban" that was allowed to expire a few years back.

But my bro-in-law says that in 2010 a new federal law will take effect outlawing ownership of them. (Not just new sales as was my understanding of the "old" ban.)

I can't wait to get an SKS riflle!! I'm just not sure if an impending attempt at confiscation would make me more or less likely to get one (or more.) I think more likely.

Shellshock1918
01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Good morning!

Someone was hyping sks rifles in another thread here (newbie gun questions I think) a week or so ago. Since then I have researched them somewhat, and concluded that *I want one*!

There is a local gun show this weekend I'm inclined to attend and possibly purchase one.

HOWEVER, I have cause for concern. My brother-in-law said that in 2010 they ("assault weapons" of which the sks is apparently one) will become illegal to own. He said this is why so many are selling them so cheaply, because the feds are gonna grab 'em in a couple of years.

Thanks.

That's bullshit. Buy one.

charger
01-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I prefer AR-15's
I plan on using my Bush tax rebate to buy a couple more.
Now is the time to stock up on arms and ammunition. Most Bans have a grandfather clause so anything manufacured before the ban will be legal.

JK/SEA
01-30-2008, 02:58 PM
//

Matt
01-30-2008, 08:39 PM

I know of the "old" Clinton-era "assault weapons ban" that was allowed to expire a few years back.

But my bro-in-law says that in 2010 a new federal law will take effect outlawing ownership of them. (Not just new sales as was my understanding of the "old" ban.)

I can't wait to get an SKS riflle!! I'm just not sure if an impending attempt at confiscation would make me more or less likely to get one (or more.) I think more likely.

It's true the Dems are hyping a new ban but it won't be retroactive or involve confiscation. I forget the exact explanation why but it's illegal for the Feds to make gun laws retroactive and they wouldn't dare try it ... yet!

The new ban is basically the same as the old one except it will be permanent and it bans more guns specifically by name even if they don't have "evil" features. For example a Ruger 10/22 is apparently an assault rifle much too deadly for a mere civilian to buy. :rolleyes: If the ban passes it just means no new sales though so if the Dems win you'll actually see prices start going up as people stock up on guns on the ban list.

There are lots of good threads on this on ar15.com and other gun forums.

OddballAZ
01-31-2008, 06:49 PM

This is one of those cases when your bro-in-law is full of shit. There is no Federal law banning them. MAYBE you live in a state that banned them, or will ban them, but the only state I know of that has done this is Commiefornia, and they already banned them there. There is NO federal law of any such kind.

And the reason their cheap isn't because of a ban. It's because most SKS rifles are mass produced shit. You can still find a good one, but you'll find a lot of shit out there too.

RedLightning
02-01-2008, 01:11 AM
And the reason their cheap isn't because of a ban. It's because most SKS rifles are mass produced shit. You can still find a good one, but you'll find a lot of shit out there too.

No, no its not, you will find more alot more good then bad, you have to realize that alot of sks's have seen war and abuse and you have to inspect every rifle before you buy it.

asgardshill
02-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Mass-produced crap they may be, but I consistently get less than 1-inch groups at 100 yards with my plain Jane iron-sighted SKS (well-cared for now of course). It shoots well on the cheapest clearance 7.62 ammo I can get at Cheaper Than Dirt, its misfired maybe a half-dozen times in over 10,000 rounds, and I don't see my life flash in front of my eyes when I ding it against the firing box at the range. I wouldn't consider using it for sniper work, but I'd take it hunting long before I'd even consider taking a megabucks bolt-action sniper rifle out in the boonies.

The two things I did that seem to have accurized my SKS the most was when I put an aftermarket Dragunov stock on it and had my gunsmith lighten the trigger pull. Those brought my groups in from almost a foot to under 1 inch.

StonewallJacksonJenkins
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Kind of off topic, but a CZ52 makes a great compainion to a SKS. Straight Iron Curtain. The 7.62x25 is a pretty potent round and also is readily avaiable in a steel core projectile. Don't forget your magnet at the next gun show.

youngbuck
02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Kind of off topic, but a CZ52 makes a great compainion to a SKS. Straight Iron Curtain. The 7.62x25 is a pretty potent round and also is readily avaiable in a steel core projectile. Don't forget your magnet at the next gun show.

7.62x39*

7.62x25 is like what those little Tokarev (sp) pistols shoot..

TheGrimace
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I haven't seen many SKS's around lately at shows. It seems that in the past two years, the Yugo SKS's that used to sell for less than $200 have been bought up in this part of the country (NC). I've seen a few Russian and Chinese SKS's for around $400, but that is a lot of money for an SKS. Good luck finding one, they sure are fun.
As for the being banned in the future, it will probably happen, though I no of nothing officially stating this, but the way things are going most everything probably will be, so get one while you still can.

JoeH
02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
The worst the fed law could do is move co called assault weapons under the NFA (aka class 3) area in which they require a special tax stamp from the feds... that would suck.

On the plus side in the event of such a 'ban' the cost of these weapons will sky rocket!

Depending on the wording of a new AW ban, since the stock SKS doesn't have a pistol grip and the bayo can easily be removed they might not be classifed as AW's anyway.

Dequeant
02-01-2008, 08:13 PM
SKS is a cheap rifle, which is why they're selling it so cheap. If you're looking for a deer hunting rifle or just something to "mess around with" every now and then, an SKS is about your cheapest, easiest way to go.

If you're looking for something for self defense, all out war, or just want a gun you can play with and customise the hell out of......get an AR. They're more expensive, but you can get them as cheap as $550. With an SKS you can basically buy a different stock.....put a funky looking mount on it for a scope, a larger capacity magazine (but be aware of serious feeding issues many have), but that's it.

With an AR, you can change every single little detail or aspect of the gun. Left handed? No problem! All Polymer? No problem! Long range? No problem! Short range? No problem! .50 Cal? No Problem! I could seriously go on all day.....

Buy yourself an AR lower receiver (any one will do, lowers are pretty universal) for about $100, then build your own completely custom rifle......you'll have much more fun with it than an SKS, and in the event that the "shit hits the fan" you'll have a far more capable rifle.

Texan4Life
02-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Not true. they are cheap because they can be imported as-is not requiring any modifications once in the country. Also because they are not new production and are old stocks. Rommy ak's are new production and come in as "sporting rifles" accepting only single stack mags. and Century has to make them be able to accept double stack mags. As well as adding a bayo lug and flash hider (IIRC)

Also they have fully milled receivers and a shorter stroke gas system allowing for better accuracy than a typical low cost stamped rommy AK. Also has high reliability.

bolognium
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Speedy Delivery!

OddballAZ
02-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Not true. they are cheap because they can be imported as-is not requiring any modifications once in the country. Also because they are not new production and are old stocks. Rommy ak's are new production and come in as "sporting rifles" accepting only single stack mags. and Century has to make them be able to accept double stack mags. As well as adding a bayo lug and flash hider (IIRC)

Also they have fully milled receivers and a shorter stroke gas system allowing for better accuracy than a typical low cost stamped rommy AK. Also has high reliability.

It's very true. They are cheap and mass produced in other countries. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. And you can probably find more in bad shape than in good shape. But you can still find good ones, and the good ones are cheaper than a lower end AR.

StonewallJacksonJenkins
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallJacksonJenkins

7.62x39*

7.62x25 is like what those little Tokarev (sp) pistols shoot..

A "CZ-52" is a Tokarev in 7.62x25....I don't understand your point...?

Time for Change
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I am not awar of any ban. The old Assult weapon ban expired.

Does that mean that the SKS with the bayonette is legal again? :D

the_bee
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Good morning!

Thanks.

Get an AK 47 one of the best in the world and the round are cheap and easy to find..Good knock-down power and excellent reliability also if you can shoot its good for 200 yards at least

jcarcinogen
02-05-2008, 04:06 AM
The purpose of the 2nd amendment was to make sure that tyranny wasn't imposed by means of the government having more fire power than the people. SKS's can be modified, I like Romanian sks's. But Russian, Chinese whatever, I want an mp5, 9mm is more plentiful and easier to make.

I wish my grandfather was here to guide me, he is a hero.

Jim_Karr
02-05-2008, 05:20 AM
http://www.morebans.org/bantarget7.html

This is their plan. Not only semis but any gun that can kill at 100 yrds or more. That is every single gun made. Even 22s.

StonewallJacksonJenkins
02-05-2008, 05:28 AM
A 9mm is for defending your car. A 12 guage is for defending your house. A 7.62x39 is for defending your rights.

SKS's are great. Be sure to get one that will accept high cap AK mags.