PDA

View Full Version : Attack Of The Slim Jims

max
08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
The RP campaign will give you as many of those slim jim cards as you want...FREE.

We unloaded 2000 of them today on car winshields in shopping centers. They are glossy well designed cards (2 sides)...they fit under windshields like a parking ticket..

Order as many as you can distribute...Call 1-800-766-7285

They'll give you free bumper stickers too (I put them on trash cans in busy shopping centers..

If every meetup activist put out 1000's of slim jims on cars...we could blanket the USA by years end...By the way, ...for the scardy cats out there....it's political advertising, so you dont need permits

cac1963
08-04-2007, 10:24 PM
The city sent us an $1100 bill for the cleanup last time we did that.

McDermit
08-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Did what? Flyered cars, or stickered garbage cans?

ghemminger
08-04-2007, 10:33 PM
NIce...we pass out 100-200 per day on busy street corners at our daily Rally...so they are going to people that actually roll down there window and ask for the information

Dustancostine
08-04-2007, 10:35 PM

Sent who?

ghemminger
08-04-2007, 10:37 PM
MAx...great job!!!! It's the perfect thing to do...to bad it seems like 90% of people don't use the internet?

BuddyRey
08-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the cards you're referring to. Do you have a link, 'cause this sounds right up my alley.

McDermit
08-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the cards you're referring to. Do you have a link, 'cause this sounds right up my alley.

They're on the official site under "Get Involved."
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008SlimJim.pdf

Lord Xar
08-04-2007, 10:40 PM

when you plaster places YOU CANNOT DO IT as a group -- you cannot do it under the guise of the "meetup" -- then there is accountability....

That is why when I do it, I do it alone or under the pretense its NOT a meetup.. just a couple guys doing promotion..

lucius
08-04-2007, 10:42 PM
The RP campaign will give you as many of those slim jim cards as you want...FREE.

We unloaded 2000 of them today on car winshields in shopping centers. They are glossy well designed cards (2 sides)...they fit under windshields like a parking ticket..

Order as many as you can distribute...Call 1-800-766-7285

They'll give you free bumper stickers too (I put them on trash cans in busy shopping centers..

If every meetup activist put out 1000's of slim jims on cars...we could blanket the USA by years end...By the way, ...for the scardy cats out there....it's political advertising, so you dont need permits

Thanks, I need to get a bunch!

Roxi
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I got 5,000 slim jims per fed ex last week 1,000 of which were given to a guy from our meetup to bring to Big Summer Classic which is a huge weekend festival in missouri that is similar to schwagstock and the schwag was playing which is one of missouri's biggest bands, the attendance is around 50,000 so this should go off well (i wish we would have had the ozzfest flyers in time)

and without even asking she threw in 100 of the new white ron paul bumper stickers (which i think look great)

ghemminger
08-04-2007, 10:58 PM
I got 5,000 slim jims per fed ex last week 1,000 of which were given to a guy from our meetup to bring to Big Summer Classic which is a huge weekend festival in missouri that is similar to schwagstock and the schwag was playing which is one of missouri's biggest bands, the attendance is around 50,000 so this should go off well (i wish we would have had the ozzfest flyers in time)

and without even asking she threw in 100 of the new white ron paul bumper stickers (which i think look great)

I hope they don't run out this is fantastic....HAve you guys been keeoing this your special little secret?:(

Original_Intent
08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Just because you can get them for free doesnt mean they are free.

I think handing them out person to person is probably a lot more effective than putting them on people's windshield.

I mean you hand one to someone and if they take it they will probably read it at least - how many that are windshielded get thrown away unread?

My two cents

Roxi
08-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I hope they don't run out this is fantastic....HAve you guys been keeoing this your special little secret?:(

originally i heard this was only available to meetup organizers, and i am an assistant organizer and our main org. was on reserve leave for a while so i took over and we ran out so i called and just asked how many i could get and she said how many do you want, i said 5,000 hoping for 1,000 :D

And the invoice came from the printing company not HQ so im assuming these were ordered not shipped directly from HQ, the stickers did come from HQ however

MozoVote
08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure where I stand on this. I've never found anything on my windshield that I appreciated receiving. Yet it's a lot easier to dot cars with flyers than to walk a neighborhood.

I gave Sematary some money for the Ozzfest flyers. I figured the concertgoers are more accustomed to finding stuff on their cars when they get out, and might appreciate Ron's views on Iraq and the war on drugs.

kylejack
08-04-2007, 11:08 PM
When people put things on my car, I go on a blood feud against them. I spend all day calling their office and complaining, or pretending to need something so I can then get to someone higher up and complain some more. The last victim was a hair salon, and they were not too happy with me.

Don't put crap on people's car. Hand it to them.

cac1963
08-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Sent who?

The bill was sent to the organization that was printed on the flyers, since there were no humans around when they discovered the parking lots covered with discarded materials.

LibertyEagle
08-04-2007, 11:14 PM
What is the number you can call to get a few bumper stickers? I remember this being talked about some time back, but I can't remember.

Man from La Mancha
08-04-2007, 11:17 PM
When people put things on my car, I go on a blood feud against them. I spend all day calling their office and complaining, or pretending to need something so I can then get to someone higher up and complain some more. The last victim was a hair salon, and they were not too happy with me.

Don't put crap on people's car. Hand it to them.

Curious why do you go hyper? I never viewed my car as sacred, I just throw out the ad or enjoyed a haircut for 50% off? I know this attitude you have exists but I don't know why. Do you think it is widespread? Not trying to be funny, just like to know.

kylejack
08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Curious why do you go hyper? I never viewed my car as sacred, I just throw out the ad or enjoyed a haircut for 50% off? I know this attitude you have exists but I don't know why. Do you think it is widespread? Not trying to be funny, just like to know.
My car is my private property, and I consider it an infringement when someone puts something on it, something which I have to then find a trash can to throw away. I think animosity for this is common.

McDermit
08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
I haven't personally flyered any cars.. but I mentioned in another thread that my brother started handing out the ozzfest flyers at a bar and to his friends yesterday, and the response was amazing. He gave away all of the 5 bumper stickers I'd sent him out with, and 3 people put them on their cars on the spot.

Today two of his friends came by my house and talked politics for a bit. (These are hardcore stoners mind you, and neither have even voted before. I got both of them reg'd for the first time tonight!) They both asked for a stack of ozzfest flyers to give to people.. and both left with an RP shirt on his back and a handful of bumper stickers and RP wrist bands. On top of that, we hit up a local club and gave out about 50 flyers, and the club owner took a stack of 100 that he now has sitting at either end of the bar, along with a few bumper stickers.

I know that I've never appreciated the crap I've found on my car at malls and such, but I've never recieved anything political either. It's usually religious or someone selling something. I do look at the stuff before tossing it though.

I'm kind of torn.. I've never done any car flyering before, and based on the reactions we've gotten with the Ozzfest flyers, I'd say the personal touch seems to go pretty far. Then again, I don't have anything to compare it to.. lol.

Dustancostine
08-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Yea don't get too stressed over it. I remember one time when I was in college a new Chipolte opened in College Station, so they sent everyone a free burrito coupon. Well my friend lived in a rather large apartment complex that has all of the mail boxes in a little mail room. He went and checked his mail and as he was throwing away the junk mail, saw the coupon and kept it. Then he noticed the trash can was full of these coupons that other people had just thrown away without paying close attention to. Needless to say he ate free Chipolte for about a month. :D

McDermit
08-04-2007, 11:23 PM
My car is my private property, and I consider it an infringement when someone puts something on it, something which I have to then find a trash can to throw away. I think animosity for this is common.

So do you act the same way when someone puts a doorhanger on your house, or a flyer in your mailbox?

Dustancostine
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I haven't personally flyered any cars.. but I mentioned in another thread that my brother started handing out the ozzfest flyers at a bar and to his friends yesterday, and the response was amazing. He gave away all of the 5 bumper stickers I'd sent him out with, and 3 people put them on their cars on the spot.

Today two of his friends came by my house and talked politics for a bit. (These are hardcore stoners mind you, and neither have even voted before. I got both of them reg'd for the first time tonight!) They both asked for a stack of ozzfest flyers to give to people.. and both left with an RP shirt on his back and a handful of bumper stickers and RP wrist bands. On top of that, we hit up a local club and gave out about 50 flyers, and the club owner took a stack of 100 that he now has sitting at either end of the bar, along with a few bumper stickers.

I know that I've never appreciated the crap I've found on my car at malls and such, but I've never recieved anything political either. It's usually religious or someone selling something. I do look at the stuff before tossing it though.

I'm kind of torn.. I've never done any car flyering before, and based on the reactions we've gotten with the Ozzfest flyers, I'd say the personal touch seems to go pretty far. Then again, I don't have anything to compare it to.. lol.

I we can get them off the playstation to vote, I wonder how big the stoner vote is?

McDermit
08-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I we can get them off the playstation to vote, I wonder how big the stoner vote is?Contrary to popular belief, stoners DO vote.

Most politicians don't give them a reason to "get off the playstation." But most of these guys seem excited about RP, and they usually don't get excited about much. The fact that they asked me outright for the flyers spoke volumes. Hell, even if all of them don't vote, just having them sporting the shirts and bumper stickers helps get RP's name out there.

McDermit
08-04-2007, 11:28 PM
What is the number you can call to get a few bumper stickers? I remember this being talked about some time back, but I can't remember.

1-800-RON-PAUL?

LibertyEagle
08-04-2007, 11:38 PM
For some reason, I thought it was a different organization. That's the campaign, right?

Dustancostine
08-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Contrary to popular belief, stoners DO vote.

Most politicians don't give them a reason to "get off the playstation." But most of these guys seem excited about RP, and they usually don't get excited about much. The fact that they asked me outright for the flyers spoke volumes. Hell, even if all of them don't vote, just having them sporting the shirts and bumper stickers helps get RP's name out there.

I think it is wonderful. Maybe closer to the primaries we can buy ads in the stoner magazines (High Times, etc.). How big do you think that demographic is?

I think it would be good to hit non traditional political magazines with ads.

MozoVote
08-04-2007, 11:52 PM
I think it is wonderful. Maybe closer to the primaries we can buy ads in the stoner magazines (High Times, etc.). How big do you think that demographic is?

Heck, Marc Emery is on this site and has already been making articles about Ron Paul. If Ron officially makes it into being reported as in the "top 3" it will set all the pro-hemp websites ablaze. (heh) Might even be loud enough to drown out the "truther" stuff. ;)

richard1984
08-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Contrary to popular belief, stoners DO vote.

I've found this to be the case as well. Most people who smoke aren't stereotypical "stoners" anyway, but most are disillusioned by politics. I think that this is typical of all Americans, though. The average person is dispassionate about the upcoming election. ...until they hear about Ron Paul. Several of my friends are becoming Ron Paul supporters (because of me :D ). People just want a real choice--a good option. Also, I think that our (Ron Paul supporters') sincere passion is encouraging and persuasive to others--especially those who know us and respect our opinions.

richard1984
08-05-2007, 12:41 AM

They're pretty damn popular. And subscribers are very passionate about their freedom and ending the "war on drugs." The "cannabis culture" is just waiting for someone like Ron Paul to support. That's why Marc Emery's (the editor of Cannabis Culture Magazine) support is so important. He could potentially be very helpful with spreading the word in the more underground cannabis culture. (They're Americans too!)

McDermit
08-05-2007, 01:37 AM

High Times did a piece on Kucinich in '04. So did PETA, and a few animal rights/vegan groups were repping Kucinich real hard. I doubt RP will get the PETA veggie vote, but he can definitely grab the stoner vote. High Times has something like 200,000 readers (not many subscribers, mostly newstand purchases.) Head magazine and Cannabis Culture have decent reader bases as well. Endorsements and interviews would probably be possible for all of the mags. But far and wide, getting people out to flyer at clubs and concerts would be the best bang for the buck.

The Seattle folks are going to have a booth at HempFest in a couple weeks.. there are usually 150,000 heads there, so they should be able to get the word out to a lot of people. And HempFest attendees tend to be politically active, so that's a huge plus. I'm actually looking into getting a banner to fly over too. Hopefully that comes together.

McDermit
08-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Heck, Marc Emery is on this site and has already been making articles about Ron Paul. If Ron officially makes it into being reported as in the "top 3" it will set all the pro-hemp websites ablaze. (heh) Might even be loud enough to drown out the "truther" stuff. ;)

Man, some of those truthers sure are vocal. lol. I just joined the Seattle meetup to get some info on their HempFest efforts, and I've gotten 6 emails already about truth crap, just in the past hour. Ugh! And they're not nice about it either.. the in-your-face, holier than thou approach is pretty popular.

michaelwise
08-05-2007, 02:00 AM
My car is my private property, and I consider it an infringement when someone puts something on it, something which I have to then find a trash can to throw away. I think animosity for this is common. Most people are not like you. Most people are nice. I never found it an inconvenience to pull it off. It does not take much brain power to figure out what it is, but then again. I'm speaking for myself. Just do it. For the most part, you won't get caught.

austin356
08-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Parking garages are better. You can do a "half fold" and hang it on the door handle. Over 1/2 of vehicles have "open handles" and the rest you can easily find a way to put it, such as it is non-invasive, destructive, or even annoying (compared to getting in your car then seeing something on the windshield and having to get out and get it).

Did 500 vehicles like this last week. It was a must considering the demographics (Very high end mall in the most Republican county in the nation)

LibertyEagle
08-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Don't forget things like the Liberty cards can also be used to pass out to people, like we're talking about here, who have not requested the material and will likely toss it. I'm just guessing, but I would imagine they are significantly cheaper than Slim Jims.

lucius
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I just called 800-766-7285 and they are sending 20 bumperstickers and 500 slim jim cards. So painless to deal with, they are great!