PDA

View Full Version : McCain supports a draft, and word has to get out

cindy25
01-30-2008, 12:56 AM
in a debate, or a call-in program or wherever he must be confronted on this, and it will be his Waterloo. Even neo-cons are somebody's parents and grandparents, and while they may support someone else being killed for nothing they would not want it to happen to their own family. enough of the POW teflon mask. call him out.

http://www.popandpolitics.com/2006/11/05/saying-no-to-national-service/

In addition to O’Donnell, other Republicans who have pushed the idea include William F. Buckley Jr. and John McCain. Buckley called for it back in 1990 and McCain called for it in 1996. Buckley was an advocate even before 9/11, even before Gulf War I. McCain supported mandatory service as far back as 1996 because, as he put it,

American culture over the last thirty years has defined courage down. Today in our excessively psychoanalyzed society, sharing one’s secret fears with others takes courage. If the standard for courage remains, as I think it should, acts that risk life or limb or other very serious personal injuries for the sake of others, these acts fall short of it by various degrees. If a people believe that courage constitutes something less dear than the standard defined above, don’t we risk having too few examples of real courage?

Again, it’s thick, but you get the gist. McCain feels we have become a self-centered society and that it would make Americans more courageous and selfless to be forced into government service, to put all of us together, side by side, like a day at the DMV or a great big extended high school PE class— and, hell, didn’t PE make you tough, courageous, more honorable?

affa
01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
bump

MikeStanart
01-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh shit; I'm 22. Maybe I can get out of it due to a displaced vertebrae?

noztnac
01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
This is easy.

Print out two signs on your computer.

One will say:

Reinstate the draft! Vote John McCain!

The other will say:

Keep troops in Iraq for 100 more years- Vote John McCain!

Go to Kinkos and make a zillion copies. Every day on the way to work put them up at gas stations, bank machines, around college campuses, etc. If Ron Paul supporters across the country start doing this it will snowball.

We can also write on dollar bills. (Reinstate the draft/ Vote McCain)
and 100 years in Iraq- Vote McCain.