PDA

View Full Version : How to make the case for "Stopping the war = MORE security"

kyleAF
01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
It just occurred to me that something Ron Paul should be hammering home about this whole "bring the troops home because it costs too much and we're less secure because of it" is this:

Our F-15s are falling out of the sky on routine missions! I'm in the Air Force... this is actually happening. We've grounded a good portion of our Eagle fleet off-and-on due to fatigue in certain structural components of the aircraft.

This could be a talking point if he plays it correctly.

"We are spending WAY too many resources on this needless war. The U.S. Air Force (of which I am a VETERAN!) is flying planes that have been in service for over 50 years! They've been operating NON-STOP in Iraq for over 17 years! We now have our once-premier F-15 Eagle fighter planes falling out of the sky because we can't afford to upgrade them. Some of these planes are over 30 years old!! While we spend BILLIONS of dollars each day to fund the operations in Iraq, we are losing our ability to defend ourselves in the future. We are losing our military's greatest advantage by overextending our forces. We are losing our superior fire power. This needs to stop RIGHT NOW! THAT will help to bring security to this nation. Not this never-ending, undeclared war."

Bump it if you like it.

And get it to the HQ as a suggestion if you can (I'm not sure how)...

Thanks!

kyleAF
01-30-2008, 12:54 AM
self-bump til I get a bite...

gaazn
01-30-2008, 12:55 AM
screw the war, focus on the economy.

colecrowe
01-30-2008, 12:56 AM
make this go viral: http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=warandpeace2sw6.jpg

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8100/warandpeace2sw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kyleAF
01-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Yes. The economy's great for the campaign (because it sucks), but it's no panacea for the campaign. GOP = military base... Not everyone's economics-minded (though I am).

Focusing on the economy, while simultaneously getting the GOP war-birds to listen up, will increase the message's positive reception.

kyleAF
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
And would someone PLEASE fix that picture already???

It's HuckAbee.

coffeewithchess
01-30-2008, 01:03 AM
And would someone PLEASE fix that picture already???

It's HuckAbee.

LOL, it originally said "George Huckabee" now it has his last name spelled incorrectly.

gaazn
01-30-2008, 01:04 AM
most people are economics minded (especially personal finance), but RP talks over their head. He needs to communicate better to the people. economics is the issue where he has the competitive advantage over all 3 candidates, so he should hit them hard with it. the war will take longer to connect with the people because the gop is neoconned.

kyleAF
01-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes, I agree.

He has a positive point for him on the economic expertise (if he can dumb it down).

He also has a negative point (within the GOP base) on his foreign policy.

positive + negative = 0 gain (fuzzy math, but you get my point).

We need both, as we can get them.

coffeewithchess
01-30-2008, 01:12 AM
RP could say something like,"What do you think about RP saying something like, "The other candidates here say our troops can't come home without honor...I say our troops have their honor. Our troops have already accomplished their mission they were sent to accomplish: They removed Saddam and his sons from power, they made sure there weren't WMDs, but most importantly, our troops allowed the Iraqi people to elect a government of their own choice...Our troops have their honor and it's time we honored them and BRING them HOME!"

Also maybe word it something like, "The Republican party USED to be the party of PERSONAL responsibility. It's not anymore. The Republican party used to run on a humble foreign policy. Not anymore. John McCain says its okay to stay in Iraq for 100 years. Mike Huckabee says our troops can't leave without honor. OUR troops are the ones with HONOR, not the politicians in Washington, DC that sent them to Iraq! Mitt Romney would rather talk to lawyers about where to send our troops instead of following the Constitution. I want to honor the job our troops have done by bringing them home!"

RockEnds
01-30-2008, 01:16 AM
We pounded on that point here. People listened.

Edit: The F-15's falling out of the sky, that is.

unloud
01-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Something that I love to point out is that our founders promoted a strong national defense, not a strong national offense and any good military leader would know it is only in the interest of people wishing to hurt us that we be overextended and away from home; I have yet to have this statement not received well.

kyleAF
01-30-2008, 01:17 AM
We pounded on that point here. People listened.

Which point? Edit: I see which point now...

Thanks! It's a great concrete example that will strike a REAL chord with any vets or people who've seen an air show...

RockEnds
01-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Which point?

:p I had to edit--it's late. We pounded on the point that our F-15's are falling out of the sky, and there's no money to replace them.

coffeewithchess
01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
bump

coffeewithchess
01-30-2008, 02:29 AM
bump