PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people see what we see?

dkim68
01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
To me the choice is so abundantly clear, so crystal clear that Ron Paul is the best choice among all the candidates. Why can't people see what we see? What is the strength of their devotion to candidates such as Romney, McCain or Huckabee based on? They are all so weak by comparison to Ron Paul yet they receive so much support. When Ron Paul owned McCain in the Florida debate with the economics question, people acted like Ron Paul stepped on a kitten rather than focus on the fact that McCain didn't know wtf Paul was talking about. These other candidates have so many flaws yet they are all willing to overlook them. Then Paul gets crucified for content in newsletters that he didn't even write. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Akus
01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
fear, stupidity, self-righteousness....

newmedia4ron
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
the truth hurts

HenryKnoxFineBooks
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Stockholm syndrome, when the captives start feeling compassion for their captors.

Or even better, they are like the old prisoner in SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. The old prisoner is in prison so long, he becomes institutionalized, and when he is released at 70 years old, he longs for his simple , structured life inside the big house.

WarningSLO
01-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Or even better, they are like the old prisoner in SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. The old prisoner is in prison so long, he becomes institutionalized, and when he is released at 70 years old, he longs for his simple , structured life inside the big house.

Great observation! Love that movie too.

nodope0695
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Because, sadly, people are morons. Even more sad, they like being morons.

sidster
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
To me the choice is so abundantly clear, so crystal clear that Ron Paul is the best choice among all the candidates. Why can't people see what we see? What is the strength of their devotion to candidates such as Romney, McCain or Huckabee based on? They are all so weak by comparison to Ron Paul yet they receive so much support. When Ron Paul owned McCain in the Florida debate with the economics question, people acted like Ron Paul stepped on a kitten rather than focus on the fact that McCain didn't know wtf Paul was talking about. These other candidates have so many flaws yet they are all willing to overlook them. Then Paul gets crucified for content in newsletters that he didn't even write. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

They all have lobbyists helping them, getting them money and votes.
You got the MSM censoring the message and RP. A lot of people don't
do their research and vote because "I think it'll be cool to have a chick
in office! Go girl power!" (I honestly know someone who thought this).

There are those who really believe in the kinds of Huckabee (very
strict religious people), those who support McCain (warmongering
types), etc.

Then there are those who see RP coming in dead last and think they
would be throwing away their vote and money if they supported RP.

I even know supporters of RP, one guy who actually has donated money
to RP on at least two occasion, who loves RP and what he stands for,
yet he truly believes that RP will never become president or be elected.
He honestly believes that the "system" will not allow it... by any means
necessary.

... and a flurry of other reasons I can't come up with yet...

ChickenHawk
01-29-2008, 10:54 PM
A lot of people don't have the interest in politics it takes to really study the issues so they tend to follow the consensus positions that they most agree with.

There is also something many libertarians have a really hard time understanding. Many people, probably around half the population, simply disagree with the fundamentals of libertarianism and their personalities are such that they will likely never agree no matter how much they understand the issues. Some people are just naturally dependant and really like the idea of a powerful government to help and protect them. I would guess that most of the people that are against the war so much it is their number one issue fall into this personality category. Even though they agree with Ron Paul on the War everything else is a deal breaker. Since the war is perceived as his biggest issue this presents an enormous problem.

dkim68
01-29-2008, 10:55 PM
It really frustrates me because in THIS particular election year it's so clear cut that if you vote for anyone OTHER THAN Ron Paul you're basically shooting yourself in the foot. I mean McCain saying we're going to be in Iraq for the next 100 years is a very significant statement which should have him dropping back into last place, yet he's the frontrunner.

MadViking10
01-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I dont get it and I accept no excuses.

figueir2
01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Simply put; ignorance. I find that most people hold the MSM to be the guard dog and mouthpiece of the people. The MSM have already decided that Ron Paul will not win and refuse to provide fair coverage.
This promotes a dangerous pattern of "He wont win the nomination...so Ill vote for whomever is the lead (or gets more coverage)". Often they do not realize that the MSM make the decision for them.

This is exactly what happened in Brazil (see "Bigger than Citizen Kane"). "Globo" the media giant --on numerous occasions having 100% viewership-- choose their candidate and give them disproportionate publicity.

The sheeple are still the majority voice of this country. Uninformed they run to the polls simply because they believe it to be advancing democracy. Nothing could be further from the truth. :mad:

Spideynw
01-29-2008, 11:02 PM
The answer to the op is public education. It makes everyone brain dead.

free.alive
01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
I think for many the ramifications of real freedom are terrifying.

Is this why the "War on Terror" so often seems like a war on freedom?

Hmmmm.....

revolutionary8
01-29-2008, 11:10 PM
A lot of people don't have the interest in politics it takes to really study the issues so they tend to follow the consensus positions that they most agree with.

There is also something many libertarians have a really hard time understanding. Many people, probably around half the population, simply disagree with the fundamentals of libertarianism and their personalities are such that they will likely never agree no matter how much they understand the issues. Some people are just naturally dependant and really like the idea of a powerful government to help and protect them. I would guess that most of the people that are against the war so much it is their number one issue fall into this personality category. Even though they agree with Ron Paul on the War everything else is a deal breaker. Since the war is perceived as his biggest issue this presents an enormous problem.
Right, this is why I am a Republican, as well as 10 term Republican Congressman Ron Paul.
I want the borders closed
I am pro-life
I am not for un-restricted "free trade" ie NAFTA.

The above have a lot to do with why Libertarianism, as a movement, is becoming out-dated. Plus, many of them are too nice, and are always embarressed over something silly. . :D
"Desperate times call for desperate measures"

LJHudd
01-29-2008, 11:11 PM
We have a "Nation of Sheep" fed by the mainstream media.

dkim68
01-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I have this female friend who when I start to talk to her about the war profiteering going on in Iraq, or the Federal Reserve, or vote fraud she pleads with me to "Please stop. I don't want to hear anymore. I can't handle it."

I'm like, how can you feel confident about your voting choice WITHOUT knowing any of these things? Too many people have their hands over their ears going "la-la-la-la-la..."

Tidewise
01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
WAR. As it has always been.

free.alive
01-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I have this female friend who when I start to talk to her about the war profiteering going on in Iraq, or the Federal Reserve, or vote fraud she pleads with me to "Please stop. I don't want to hear anymore. I can't handle it."

I'm like, how can you feel confident about your voting choice WITHOUT knowing any of these things? Too many people have their hands over their ears going "la-la-la-la-la..."

Just present her with her very own Pontius Pilate button. Should get her thinking. Then once she begins that, give her Bastiat's The Law. That should jog her from her sleep.

dkim68
01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
I think the fact that the war was a mistake is too painful for some people face. I'm the kind of person who will readily admit when I've made a mistake and try to correct it. As Dr. Paul has stated, it is our responsibility to correct the mistake, not to continue the mistake. Unfortunately, for people to agree with this point of view they would have to admit they were involved in supporting a mistake. Some people would rather die than admit that. Thus, the support of a pro-war candidate. If the MSM would do their jobs they'd be shining a big spotlight on what we're really doing over there. That it's not about promoting Democracy but something else entirely. Then the people would realize it's not worth the cost of thousands of American lives.

RevolutionSD
01-29-2008, 11:40 PM

It's simply MSM coverage.

They all have it, we don't.

Don't worry, we'll do MUCH better in several states than we did in FL. Don't go home yet, you'll miss out on the best part of this Ron Paul Party!

EvoPro
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
We have a "Nation of Sheep" fed by the mainstream media.

I also think the media is by far the main problem.

N13
01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
There's this thing called a TV getting in the way.

Thom1776
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Brainwashing, mind-control, indoctrination, social engineering.

See the movie: "They Live". It's a great analogy of how we are controlled and manipulated.

revolutionary8
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Just present her with her very own Pontius Pilate button. Should get her thinking. Then once she begins that, give her Bastiat's The Law. That should jog her from her sleep.
Where is the Staples (TM) "Easy button" when we need it? :D People can assoicate with that. :D
Let us wake them all, some might need to have a bucket of water thrown upon on them from about 4 feet up. :D
Some might melt. But hey, at least we tried to get back "home". :D

revolutionary8
01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I also think the media is by far the main problem.
Them and the "elections".
We need massive PACs in every state. :)

scandinaviany3
01-29-2008, 11:50 PM
people go with what they hear on tv...

they look for contrast ads, message, humor, etc.

Then look to hear clips on tv news.

If they hear what they "understand" and like there goes the vote.

Romney sent out 4000 ads in FL!!!! Then traveled the whole state.

We flooded NV and traveled all over it even before the election. Guiliani spent weeks in FL and got several hundred thousand votes. Likewise for earlier candidates like Tom Tancredo who had good number in iowa. Pretty much people must see you are in their state a lot on tv, papers, in person for a while.

Rand and Ron are doing the right thing as is the rest of the family. Just need more std republican ads like the baldwin ad, they need their own version to show.

Flood the tv airways and get out your spin on the message on all ads tv, newspaper, radio and bring in surrogates, baldwin, sports stars, others...

The more people on the stage with you the stronger you look.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-29-2008, 11:50 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with the media. Unfortunately, A large large majority of American's get all their information from the propaganda box we call the television set and to some extent newspapers.

With this media blackout, name recognition becomes a problem. That's why it's up to us supporters.

shadowhooch
01-29-2008, 11:51 PM
1) People don't like to hear truth. They don't like to hear problems. They will gravitate to head-in-the-sand inspiration instead of dealing with reality.

2) People believe all of America's actions are infallable. To question any American action is "unpatriotic".

3) People fear change...plain and simple. They will take baby steps. But they don't want to make big changes.

4) People gravitate towards winners and like to be part of a team. How else can you explain the completely illogical dribble that both Republican and Democrats spew about how vile the other is when, in reality, they aren't much different at all.

Carole
01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh my gosh, that is it. Very insightful. :)

bcreps85
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
A lot of reasons. Stupidity, being one of the top ones. Unfortunately, many of them do consider themselves to be objective and only use the information they get from the MSM...

In reality, the fact that so many people buy into the MSM is our biggest problem.

bluemarkets
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
check this simple video why they cant see what we see ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSek88t54w

(caution: a little language)

therealjjj77
01-29-2008, 11:59 PM

Cause they on the TV and not on the internet. Go to retirement homes and do presentations for Ron Paul!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=98343

Carole
01-30-2008, 12:04 AM
I am in my sixties. I think if there is still time, you younger folks MUST educate your generations quickly and soon. Somehow I think my baby-boomer generation is simply in denial of the truth and truly cannot see the forest for the trees. It is rather frightening to comprehend, but I think it is true.

Baby boomers never knew real depression and many of their parents are gone. They saw their lives gradually become better, even if both husband and wife had to work. Somehow they have failed to see the gradual erosion of their wealth, privacy, and freedom. They (we?) do not seem interested in real change because maybe it scares them. As for myself, I have been waitng for Dr. Paul nearly my entire life. I have always been a thinker and a questioner.

As for the rest of my generation, I am very disappointed in them. I also went to public schools, but it was just before federal aid to education which Goldwater warned us against. No one listened and he was so right. I remember it well.

Anyway I refuse to give up. Please do all you can to convert the younger people before it comes to a real and bloody revolution. There is not a lot of time left for America.

revolutionary8
01-30-2008, 12:13 AM
It's simply MSM coverage.

They all have it, we don't.

Don't worry, we'll do MUCH better in several states than we did in FL. Don't go home yet, you'll miss out on the best part of this Ron Paul Party!
This needs to be repeated.
They have gatekeepers everywhere-
http://www.leftgatekeepers.com/images/left_gatekeepers.gif

Check it for yourselves. Follow the money.
Don't underestimate the power.
Don't blame it on "stupidity".
Have faith in the American People.
You figured it out, and will continue to do so.
So will others.
It just takes a shove in the right direction.
This is about spreading the truth and waking those up from the hate associated with Scapegoating.

Perry
01-30-2008, 12:18 AM

-------F.E.A.R.------
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs12/300W/f/2006/300/d/d/You__ve_got_the_fear_by_chix0r.jpg

ronpaulitician
01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

Carole
01-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Love that one. Powerful video.

jwilli17
01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
People are lazy. I got into a huge debate with my boss. My boss thinks we need to get out of Iraq now, he's a republican voted for bush both times. He thinks the biggest problem is immigration and the war. Guess who he seems to support? McCain. I asked him why, if you look at the simple facts and he just kept saying in essence he heard McCain was gonna win so he was gonna vote for him. No matter how many times you say how bad this is for our country, most people don't care. Most people have a false sense of security and assume there's no one running for office that could fix us cause money's running the system, even if you say Ron Paul's not at all a part of the establishment they'll reply 'but he's crazy' or 'he can't win'. This is a losing battle. Mainstream media has turned this country into something similar to the movie "Idiocracy".

Carole
01-30-2008, 12:26 AM
So why not fight back by using the same tool against the MSM. shine light upon the truth with a real television network that speaks only the truth.

If the people in this movement really care, they will stay together and use all those millions we are able to raise for the cause of freedom and build a freedom television network, a liberty network--that tells only the truth.

It is something to consider seriously. Why not?

doronster195
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I have trouble convincing people to leave Obama. Not much of a problem convincing people to leave McCain or Romney.

dkim68
01-30-2008, 01:19 AM
One of the biggest things that bothers me is when people say "He's crazy." or "He can't win." Then when questioned what facts these answered are based on they reply "Well that's what the news says." Then when you question the news they have no basis for the comments and are simply flinging them out there to influence public opinion.

ThisCharmingAzn
01-30-2008, 01:26 AM
two words:

the media

the media tells them who to vote for
the media tells them who the front runners are
the media elects the president

btw today i was in my girlfriend's dorm, and she turned the tv on to watch the election results. my other friend also came in. flipping through the channels, she passed nbc and a few others, and stopped on fox, at which point i said "no! no! don't go to fox!!" my friend immediately was like "what do you mean? i watch fox all the time!" i couldn't believe it, he continued. "a recent harvard study recently showed that they really are the most fair and balanced news station." i also think he voted for romney...he is my friend and all and i respect his choices but...WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! just had to get that out.

Expatriate
01-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Stockholm syndrome, when the captives start feeling compassion for their captors.

Great observation.

I also think the national (state controlled?) media is largely responsible for creating the perception of safety in the status quo.

Broadlighter
01-30-2008, 02:04 AM
I think the reason McCain is emerging as the GOP's guy is because whoever runs both major parties really, really wants Hillary in the White House. I think McCain is the one guy who will make her look absolutely acceptable to the American people. McCain will make the most conservative Republican voters stay home in November and wherever else Hillary can't pull the votes, they'll the electronic voting machines to ensure that she wins.

I don't think it's all the people doing this. A little help from the special interests goes a long way.

affa
01-30-2008, 02:25 AM
There are a couple things going on:

1. Ron Paul stands for peace, and by standing for peace he forces people to 'defend' war. While these people want to fight the war, they don't actually want to have to accept moral responsibility for it. They are for killing the bad guys, sure, but aren't really considering the 1.2 million civilians dead. Ron Paul forces them to.

2. The media. People are conditioned to laugh along with laugh tracks, to feel emotion based on the soundtrack, etc. Every sitcom has a kook.

3. How many people actually watch debates? Most people voting don't know the issues. They're voting for their favorite, and many don't even know why someone is their favorite. This is why Rudy is now out, despite being a favorite early on... it's media perception not reality.

revolutionary8
01-30-2008, 02:34 AM
I think the reason McCain is emerging as the GOP's guy is because whoever runs both major parties really, really wants Hillary in the White House. I think McCain is the one guy who will make her look absolutely acceptable to the American people. McCain will make the most conservative Republican voters stay home in November and wherever else Hillary can't pull the votes, they'll the electronic voting machines to ensure that she wins.

I don't think it's all the people doing this. A little help from the special interests goes a long way.

Yes this is it.
The gate keepers, Malkin, Rush, are out in full force bashing McCain. He is good at being the victim. In fact, he is probably America's most famous victim.

Some will fall for this charade.
Others will realize that it would take gale force winds to give McCain the Nom.
If they nominate Amnesty, La Raza International, then the Republican Party is DONE.
:D
They know this. Which way do they go? Loose money or keep the illusion?
:D

JoBurke
01-30-2008, 03:02 AM

do not underestimate the power of vote fraud!!!! especially in Florida!!!!!!!!

dkim68
01-30-2008, 03:53 AM
do not underestimate the power of vote fraud!!!! especially in Florida!!!!!!!!
I'm sure fraud has been committed in every state so far. I joked with someone that we'd probably have fair elections if officials were 7-year olds.

dkim68
01-30-2008, 05:22 AM
The combination of the word "crazy" and being the candidate that is laughed at is so powerfully negative. Those are two things that people personally dread the most. It's something rooted so deeply psychology-wise. The two working together are like a One-Two Punch to turn most uniformed voters off for good. How can we fight back against this type of thing? I think it needs to be revealed as a strategy first and foremost.

Isn't it apparent that Ron Paul is only candidate truly levelling with the American people? And if that's obvious then why doesn't everyone love this guy? What is wrong with these people that are skeptical about truth? That try to debunk facts? Do they prefer lies to truth? It boggles the mind.

expatriot
01-30-2008, 06:00 AM

Perhaps you meant a 'Benedict Arnold' Medallion...

...and a one-way steerage-class ticket to Baghdad?
(if they think the surge is working maybe they ought to take up residence.)

syborius
01-30-2008, 06:09 AM
the people see what the big media shows them, coupled with stupidity, self righteousness, election shenanigans, etc. etc. Our organization is just getting warmed up I think. The more organized we become the more likely we will start to bring home the gold in many states. All it will take is ONE GOLD, in one state, and all hell will break loose, and that my friends will be the end of the establishment as we know it.

Hayek
01-30-2008, 06:20 AM

Ummm...Bastiat's the Law is an evil read. I read it once, and then got the audio book. When I have a long drive I will listen to it a couple times. Then I will switch to the radio were they are talking about banning smoking in cars or banning firepits in backyards cause it could potentially bother someone with asthma.

Nothing else quite makes you not just realize how messed up our government is, but also incites you to action.

If you give her Bastiat, she will likely never disagree with Ron Paul again.

raystone
01-30-2008, 06:35 AM
following explains why people are voting for McCain, and he is winning right now.... this is based on terror-management theory. Explains why RP isn't getting the votes he should be getting, and why Romney and Guilliani lost Florida. In other words, why they are voting for a warmonger.

"....human beings deal with the knowledge that they will someday die by maintaining a strong belief in their cultural worldview. That faith provides meaning to their lives and a sense that their individual lives matter, as well as the promise of symbolic – or literal –immortality if they uphold their society's values.

In short, 9/11 exposed our vulnerability to death in a way that made the deaths of that day absurd and violations our culturally “acceptable” modes of dying. This is why most Americans “could not believe” what took place and felt vulnerable to a “senseless” death. Recall that the political right and the left agreed more attacks were inevitable. They differed over motive attribution: insane religious rage or “Blowback.” Now, years later, we are beginning to realize – as only Tom Friedman could put it – that “9/11 made us stupid.” “Stupid” is not the correct description, of course, but from Friedman it is an insight."

from speech by Dan Bednarz, Nov '07

http://sandersresearch.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1325&Itemid=97

Mortikhi
01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Allegory of the Cave by Plato explains it all.

syborius
01-30-2008, 07:20 AM

I arrived at the same conclusion. :cool:
Pretty diabolical manipulation, top-down

Paul Revered
01-30-2008, 07:24 AM

"Why can't people see what we see?"

Satan?

BillyDkid
01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, the media has done a stellar job of distorting and silencing the message and the vast majority of the people only get their info from the boob tube. It didn't help that in the last debate Dr. Paul was given a fraction of the time of the other candidates. The debates are critical to us, but if they don't let Ron Paul speak they are pointless.

Channing
01-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Election fraud.

ToryNotion
01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
In a perfect world we could all be apolitical. I predict there will be no political parties in heaven. But in this world you face the choice: be political and fight those who pervert the political system for their gain and take your liberty in the process or be apolitical. Most people choose the later until just before they walk into the polling place. They vote out of 'civic duty' and the illusion that more votes makes a better election and they vote mostly on fear and prejudice not reason.

Truth Warrior
01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
The Matrix just follows it's programming.

Take the red pill. :)

IDefendThePlatform
01-30-2008, 07:58 AM
The number #1 reason RP won't win the nomination: (in my opinion)

1) Most people do not yet believe in the message of freedom. This is the reason that, even if we had been given perfectly balanced media coverage, we still would not have won. It takes months and even years for individuals to change their philosophy about government (as a rehabbed Republican, I am speaking from experience.)

The good news for the future is that RP did much better with younger voters. Over time I believe the truth of individual liberty will win out over belief in government intervention. But it won't happen overnight and probably not even in the next 50-60 years.

Votes are ultimately what will change things (short of governemnt collapse or an armed revolution) but before we can get more people to vote for us, we need to convince them to believe in the message of individual liberty. I think this means continuing to canvass for liberty candidates and discussing politics with friends and family. But remember: sell soft! No one wants to get beaten over the head with other's beliefs. We win more converts with honey than with oil.

wildboar
01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
The average Joe on the street hasn't felt real pain yet. The economy is bouyed by bubbles, most people are working, have a car & air conditioning. They can still afford gas.

It's a sad admission for me to say that I am hoping for a real economic calamity between now and September that will wake the people up out of their slumber. Unfortunately, despite the fact that our government sucks, I don't believe that they will be able to create the tsunami that will swamp us before then. Ironically, we may need our Chinese, Japanese and Middle Eastern bankers to save us all by dumping the dollar. Despite the short-term severe pain to them it may be in all of our best interests.