PDA

View Full Version : Educating myself - A personal victory

gpickett00
01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Throughout the last 10 months that I have known of Ron Paul I have made giant leaps in my knowledge about government, foreign policy and monetary policy. I am 20 years old and I feel like I can successfully debate most educated adults using Ron Paul's platform.

In the fall of 2006 I first became interested in Libertarianism via John Stossel videos and economics class. For 7 months of 2007 I studied abroad halting my further education of Libertarian ideals. Upon discovering Ron Paul, increasingly I desired to further educate myself and as a result, my knowledge has grown exponentially.

I remember a time in mid-December upon returning home for winter break I debated a liberal friend of mine and his mom simultaneously. Looking back, I really sucked and I could do a lot better now.

A huge step for me was, instead of trying to convince people that Libertarian policy is the best, argue that the constitution doesn't allow things that they support. Also an important point was learning about monetary policy and using national debt and overspending as my 1-2 punch.

Right now I am not sure how I will put this knowledge to good use. Sure, I am supporting Ron Paul and some say that is good enough. From here on I will be able to make the most informed and correct decision possible because of my self education and I am thankful for that.

In 2010 I will graduate with a degree in economics and after college I plan on joining the Navy as an officer and staying for 6 years, maybe more if I see promise there. Eventually I may consider running for public office if I am still inspired by this Revolution.

Let me know how you have grown in your education of politics and government and how you plan on using in the future. Include age and anything else informative.

thechitowncubs
01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I am 17 years old and in a year and I am in the same exact boat as you. I had no knowledge of politics, foreign policy, economics... and a year later I can SCHOOL anyone in a debate.

angrydragon
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
www.mises.org
www.lewerockwell.com

will help with your education in politics and economics.

-lotus-
01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
never stop learning. never let someone else tell you what to think or feel

jasonjasonjason1
01-29-2008, 10:25 PM
aa

krott5333
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
The best way to use your newfound knowledge is to live your life utilizing and expanding upon that knowledge.

Every day, in your job, in your relationships, you must spread truth, and educate people.

As far as changing politics.. I think I'm going to stay a Republican and work to change the party from the inside out.

nicky6
01-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I am 17 years old and in a year and I am in the same exact boat as you. I had no knowledge of politics, foreign policy, economics... and a year later I can SCHOOL anyone in a debate.

Except for other Ron Paul freaks

Revolutn
01-29-2008, 10:50 PM
I came to Ron Paul years ago already because of my own sudden learning curve.

So as far as globalism/nau/nwo whatever you want to call it, and monetary policy and constitutional law.....I haven't learned that much new since the Revolution kicked off.

I mean ironically my handle is Revolutn right, well I've had that for more than half my life.
I adopted the moniker when I went on line around 1986 at the age of 13, so yeah do the math I'm 34 now and have been going by revolutn or some slight variant of spelling thereof for 21 years (yikes!)

So it's really a case of me being "ahead of my time" in a sense, and I feel like yes, finally, things/people are catching up to me.....though I don't mean that in an elitist/condescending fashion.

But I have learned a LOT about HOW an election works.
The delegates, convention rules, party rules on primaries. What a caucus is compared to a primary....and I've gotten a better grasp on non-interventionist foreign policy, despite realizing that it was constitutional all along, I never pursued what that fully meant in terms of the country setting policy and it's affects. To that same end, my knowledge of history has deepened, though again mostly on the cause/affect of prior entangling alliances or blowback as a result of short sighted / meddlesome policies of the past.

Rev

gpickett00
01-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Interesting stuff. Keep it coming guys