PDA

View Full Version : meetup organizers pushing other agendas

McDermit
08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but when it happens, it really kills the mood. I don't know about everyone else, but I joined RP meetups to support Ron Paul - not to protest illegal immigration, spread the word about 9/11 Truth campaigns, or attend newage religious ceremonies.

I wouldn't mind if it was just a quick mention at the end of a meetup, but when the organizer is constantly tieing RP into all his or her unconventional beliefs and theories, it's a huge turnoff. This particular guy stopped to pray 3 times during the meetup, tried bullying the few non-members into joining his church, and suggested that we all attend some really goofy events.

When I addressed the issue with the organizer after the meeting, he got realllllly defensive and said that since most of the meetup members were his friends and people who had similar beliefs, he would do what he wanted. I "politely" told him that I would not be attending another of his meetups. On top of all of it, his group hasn't done jack for the RP campaign. They weren't even open to the idea of that setting up a booth at a local fair or doing a sign waving. Blah.

That was discouraging. Thank god there are 3 other semi-local meetups here that DON'T suck.

MsDoodahs
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation and there isn't another meetup to switch to, remember you can start your own and as owner, you can specify what goes on at the meetings. :)

Bradley in DC
08-04-2007, 07:07 PM
The campaign put out word months ago to the Meetup organizers on the need to stay focused on Dr. Paul's agenda and not use his campaign for their purposes. Since so many of the Meetups have been created since then, perhaps--after Ames!--we'll need to get word to them that a reminder is in order.