PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Marketing Idea: "Democrats for Ron Paul"

jj111
08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Discussion: Marketing Idea: "Democrats for Ron Paul"

I hope this is the right section (discussion). We're in San Francisco which is 90% Democrats or liberals. When we do a booth, a lot of times people ask us what party RP is running in, and we say "Republican" and immediately they walk away, saying, "I would never vote for a Republican," or something similar.

So the idea is "Democrats for Ron Paul." Our group decided we are going to make at least one big banner saying "Democrats for Ron Paul" and bring this to many of our events. We are also thinking of creating a flyer titled "Democrats for Ron Paul" and showing a checklist of so-called liberal issues and showing how Ron Paul beats out Hillary and Obama.

1) What do you think of this idea?
2) Has anybody seen a flyer comaparing Obama and Hillary to RP in a checklist format?
3) If not, does anybody have any ideas as to what to put on a checklist for liberals comparing Obama and Hillary to RP?

richard1984
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I think it's a good idea. One of the biggest things about Ron Paul that turns people off is the fact that he's a "Republican." It's horribly annoying when people let party names and other shallow labels get in the way of something as important as who would should become the next president of the United States--especially when the candidate is as across-the-board awesome as Ron Paul.
So yeah, anything to help break through the limiting and habitual prejudice of people is a good idea in my book.

xita
08-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Unless they are going to register republican to vote in the primaries, it may not make much of a difference.

You're probably better off trying to find a way to target the other 9 or so republicans in the Peoples Republic of San Fransisco.

cac1963
08-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I stumbled onto this not too long ago, but it doesn't appear to be updated regularly.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzz/Democrats_for_Ron_Paul

trispear
08-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Unless they are going to register republican to vote in the primaries, it may not make much of a difference.

You're probably better off trying to find a way to target the other 9 or so republicans in the Peoples Republic of San Fransisco.One of the things to remember is that in the last election only 6% of registered republicans voted in the primary.

It would be a smart thing to target independents/disillusioned democrats. We do not have to win over the majority of the republicans, just the majority that votes. Two very different things.

SeanEdwards
08-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I think it's almost as good as 'truthers for Ron Paul'. ;)

johnrocks
08-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I came across a "Democrats for Ron Paul" website, I think it is a great idea, it shows he is getting wide spread, support not from just one segment of the population.

Thomas_Paine
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I'd like to see your flyer

Johnnybags
08-04-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.nationalexpositor.com/News/80.html

jj111
08-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm working on ideas for my flyer. Here are some ideas I've come up with. If anybody can offer some constructive criticisms or ideas of their own they are welcome.

Democrats for Ron Paul

Compare to find out who is the true candidate for peace, freedom, and ethics in government

Hillary Obama Ron Paul
Voted against the Iraq War in 2003 No No YES
Voted against US policy of “regime change” in Iraq in 1998 No No YES
Voted to end funding of war in Iraq in 2006 No No YES
Introduced legislation to end Congressional authorization of Iraq War in 2007 No No YES
Took off the table any future pre-emptive strike on Iran No No YES
Took off the table any future escalation of the war in Afghanistan No No YES
Denounces the doctrine of pre-emptive warfare No No YES
Will bring our troops home from all no-win “police actions” No No YES
Calls for end of US military occupation of 130 overseas nations No No YES
Will reduce overseas military spending by $500 billion or more yearly No No YES
Supports impeachment of Bush and Cheney No No YES
Supports total end of corporate welfare No No YES
Voted against and calls to abolish unconstitutional “Patriot” Act No No YES
Voted against and calls to abolish government warrantless wiretaps No No YES
Voted against and calls to abolish government warrantless monitoring of internet No No YES
Voted against Military Commissions Act of 2006 which repeals habeas corpus No No YES
Would allow the working poor to opt out of federal 15% payroll tax No No YES
Wants eliminate the Federal Reserve’s “inflation” tax which hurts the poor No No YES
Calls for the end of the federal war against marijuana users No No YES
Call for the end of federal obstruction of California medicinal marijuana laws No No YES
Is not funded by corporate special interests No No YES
Consistently votes against all bills that compromise your civil liberties No No YES
Never voted to raise Congressional pay No No YES
Never has taken a government-paid junket No No YES
Never voted to increase the power of the executive branch No No YES
Consistently voted against regulating the Internet No No YES
Has refused to participate in the lucrative congressional pension program No No YES

Find out why Democrats are supporting Ron Paul for President

www.RonPaul2008.com

Sematary
08-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Discussion: Marketing Idea: "Democrats for Ron Paul"

I hope this is the right section (discussion). We're in San Francisco which is 90% Democrats or liberals. When we do a booth, a lot of times people ask us what party RP is running in, and we say "Republican" and immediately they walk away, saying, "I would never vote for a Republican," or something similar.

So the idea is "Democrats for Ron Paul." Our group decided we are going to make at least one big banner saying "Democrats for Ron Paul" and bring this to many of our events. We are also thinking of creating a flyer titled "Democrats for Ron Paul" and showing a checklist of so-called liberal issues and showing how Ron Paul beats out Hillary and Obama.

1) What do you think of this idea?
2) Has anybody seen a flyer comaparing Obama and Hillary to RP in a checklist format?
3) If not, does anybody have any ideas as to what to put on a checklist for liberals comparing Obama and Hillary to RP?

It sounds like the perfect idea for your demographic. I'd go with it.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-04-2007, 08:09 PM

BuddyRey
08-04-2007, 08:13 PM
When you talk to your lib-dem friends about RP, a good idea is, when you mention that he's a Republican, quickly add the addendum, "But he's an old-school Moderate Republican, like Barry Goldwater." For many liberals, Goldwater is almost a mythical folk hero of sorts who combined fiscal restraint with tolerance and open-mindedness. I can't speak for all libs of course, but most of us have a lot of respect for Goldwater.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-04-2007, 08:25 PM

jj111
08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I think I'm going to say, "I'm a Democrat for Ron Paul" and here is why - and hand them a flyer....

kjdaugirdas
08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Remember that many states have open primaries -- my state, Illinois, is among them. That means that democrats (and independents) can vote in the Republican primary.

Getting democrats to support Ron Paul is absolutely important -- the Republican establishment is looking, ultimately, for a way to beat the Democrats in the general election -- If we can show them that Ron Paul is tbe best person to do that, it will mean a lot.

BuddyRey
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Barry Goldwater is a little before my time, but I've always had a negative opinion of him based mainly on LBJ's one-time 'girl with a daisy' TV ad.

Recently I've heard Goldwater discussed as a sort of proto-Paul so I looked him up on wikipedia. Turns out he wanted to nuke Vietnam, just like the TV commercial said. Last night in Pittsburgh Ron pointed out how much better our relations with Vietnam have been since we stopped bombing them and started trading with them.

It's an interesting evolution in conservative thought. I don't understand the process behind it, but I like where it's going.

Wow! Wikipedia's usually pretty reliable, but I think someone slipped in a nugget of disinfo there. LBJ was, from everything I've ever read, a pretty crooked character, liberal in name only, with a lot of criminal ties (sort of a reverse-Rudy Giuliani). He actually was way more hawkish than Goldwater, even though he ran on a peace platform and tried to paint BG as a backward-thinking reactionary. I could be very wrong, but I still think if Barry Goldwater had been elected, there would have been no further U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-04-2007, 09:59 PM

jj111
08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
How about LBJ

Rigging elections prior to running for President....

Other dirt about LBJ I don't even want to mention....

LBJ was one hell of a lying, corrupt, ruthless son of a .....

BuddyRey
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Bump for the night-shift.

trispear
08-05-2007, 01:00 AM
From what I am hearing, a bunch of democrats/liberals followers are fuming mad at congress for not standing up to Bush and some are swearing to punish the democrats for doing this.

http://digg.com/politics/Democrats_expand_Bush_wiretapping_powers

Now is the time to strike, tell them to hold their nose and switch registration to the republican party and get behind Ron Paul. Ron Paul and the disillusioned liberal followers are very compatible in the area of civil rights, Iraq, and I am sure many other positions.

Also emphasize that Ron Paul DOES WHAT HE SAYS, many people are sick of electing do-nothings that just talk big.