PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with RP National Headquarters?

Roxi
08-04-2007, 02:13 PM
DONT BE!!!

I hear a lot of frustration among board members, grassroots supporters etc that are sometimes complaining about HQ and contacting HQ and not getting emails or phone calls back etc... Most of us quip that they are super busy and just to try try again.

Jen is the organizer for the iowa strawpoll volunteers and I found this on her blog which gives a great explanation for this.. and it all has to do with the FEC

please read this

On Sunday night, some of the members of the Des Moines and Ames meetups met with the national campaign HQ members to talk about the Straw poll. I must tell you that I went in there with a bit of an attitude, because I am one of those who has been questioning the chasm that I feel developing between the grassroots campaign and the national campaign. More than once, I’ve asked myself, “What are they doing?” and “Who are these people?”. To be fair, I also ask myself, “What am I doing?” and “Who the heck am I?” Equal time, you know.

The difference between national and grassroots is evident even to the most casual observer. As I looked around the room, I had to smile at the contrast. The meetup folk were slouching on the floor in casually reclined poses; most of us, if we cut our hair, look like we use a bowl for a template. We write with pencils and bics and snort when we laugh. The national team, on the other hand, wear clothes that are so nice they have their own birth certificates. They wear their sunglasses on top of their heads, have really nice haircuts, and as they sit leaning gracefully against the wall, they toy with cool electronic gizmos that the rest of us stare at in fascination. They use words like “touches” and “charm offensive”. We use words like “borg” and “duct tape”.

The meeting was started with a report on what the Campaign has accomplished in terms of reaching out to voters. National has started a campaign to connect with special segments of the Iowan population, and between this campaign, and the write and call Iowan programs, they expect to reach (or “touch”) over 200,000 potential voters by the end of this week.

One of the national team said, “We want to touch as many people as we can.” and another said, “Isn’t it better to touch someone several times?” I tried not to laugh, but I couldn’t help thinking, “Doesn’t it depend on where you touch them?” <snort>

The meeting continued at a good clip, and we covered the different areas of the Straw Poll that needed volunteer support. It was a pretty good meeting, but I still somehow was bothered by the chasm I felt between us.

So at an inopportune moment, which is the only time I seem capable of speaking out in a group, I told them that I was sensing a chasm between national and grass roots. I said that if we weren’t careful, we would end up with two campaigns. Two campaigns that didn’t like each other. Cats and Dogs, Hatfield and McCoys, Eileen and Sandy Burger (Eileen and Sandy were my next door neighbors when I was growing up and were always fighting over their “real live Lucy” doll who refused to eat spinach or raise taxes.) You get the picture.

I told them that the supporters for Ron Paul want to help. I said, “For example, if you’re doing a radio campaign in Iowa, why not make the ad available, and I know the supporters will run with it and play it all over Iowa! There’s so much we can do together. Can’t you just talk to us? We’re not from the government, we really are here to help!” Realizing that I was beginning to sound like a democrat <teasing!>, I trailed off with, “It’s just that we’re a little frustrated right now…”

It was about then that I noticed that one of the national guys was turning an odd shade of red. Suddenly, he jumped up and with clenched fists exclaimed, “You think you’re frustrated?! You have no idea!” It took me a while to understand what he was talking about, but when the light finally dawned, I realized there was another side to this whole thing that I hadn’t even been aware of.

Here’s the gist of it. The FEC (Federal Election Commission) has a code of rules and regulations that apparently makes the IRS codebook look like nursery rhymes. And, because other groups are not, shall we say, encouraging our campaign it is especially important that we follow the code to perfection. The code mostly deals with money - how it is received by the campaign, how it is used, etc. The tricky part for grassroots campaigns is that our activities must clearly be separate (in general) from the National campaign or someone is gonna end up in a little prison cell with a roommate named Bubba.

So, they can’t give us a radio ad, because then it isn’t an independent action, but a coordinated communication, which requires filing reams of reports, may exceed the allowed donation limit, etc. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

What they explained to us is this: They hate it, but they have to live by it. They want, they need for us to do what we’re doing and do more of it. They were as encouraging as they could be, but are very skittish about doing anything that can be misconstrued as incorrect. They don’t want to hear about the projects that we’re working on, and they can’t consult with us on the best way to do them. They went into some more detail, but you can see the general scheme of things, right?

When they were done talking about the restrictions on them, I blurted out, “Wow, I feel so free!”. And I do. Do you see what this means? It means we don’t have to wait on the national organization to make decisions. We don’t have to feel stymied because we don’t know what they want. The truth is this: they can’t tell us! It’s not that they don’t want to, it’s just that they aren’t allowed to. So, you and I can promote Dr. Paul with our best efforts. We can coordinate with each other and help each other as we have been doing. And we can do more of it. While we cannot and indeed must not depend on national, we can support them as best we can so that they can work fully within the limitations that exist, because the national campaign is also vital for success. But, we must move forward within the grassroots movement. The truth is that Dr. Paul’s message, our message, is simple and clear enough that once people hear it, it speaks to them. That’s the only direction we really need. All we have to do is let people know about him.

In the end, there are two campaigns - national and grassroots. But now, instead of thinking of us as two little kids fighting over our “Constitution Ron” doll, I see us more as Captain Navarre and Isabeau from Ladyhawke - two lovers under the spell of an evil wizard, unable to “touch” each other, but soon to be set free and return justice to the land. The only part I can’t decide is who’s the hawk and who’s the wolf.

Kuldebar
08-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Amazing how intrusive government insinuates itself into almost every type of human interaction.

Distorting it, cursing it and often destroying it.

This outside force retards civil society and perverts the very idea of free association and growth of community.

richard1984
08-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Amazing how intrusive government insinuates itself into almost every type of human interaction.

Distorting it, cursing it and often destroying it.

This outside force retards civil society and perverts the very idea of free association and growth of community.

Right on. I agree completely.

foofighter20x
08-04-2007, 02:26 PM
So, in short, the campaign is not the boss of us.

Good to know.

But, this also means it's our responsibility to police each other.

jj111
08-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Just please don't abuse your police power. No mace or billyclubs.

Man from La Mancha
08-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Good Article

The frustration I feel is not the fact that HQ can't support us in our own efforts is that HQ is not telling us what their doing. Like the amount of donations and how many members with daily updates. Especially how much money they need for every radio, TV and media blitz they need so we can always come up the with the cash. I want to see concrete goals.

Second the skys the limit for personal contributions. Very simple you wealthy people out there that could benefit even more than most of us for Paul. RUN AS A CANDIDATE IN YOUR OWN DISTRICT. As such a person one can then spend all one wants to on radio ads at prime time and say anything you want, by law you have that right and spend as much money as you can afford. Run and talk about all the same things Paul does and then at the end one could say vote for Ron and me to to do "blank" One could mention Ron's name several times on he is running for president. Also everybody can now donate more money to you besides Ron. Never know you might win.

BlindD
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
OK - so national does its separate thing.
Many volunteers work for national, and one of the volunteers has a friend in, say, Belgium.
She chats to her friend in Belgium from time to time... you know, small talk about this and that.
The Belgium friend mentions to her other friend in Canada about this and that.
The Canadian friend mentions to her friend in Minneapolis about this and that.
And Minneapolis friend mentions to Ron Paul Forums.com about this and that.
Where's the problem?

Kuldebar
08-04-2007, 03:47 PM
OK - so national does its separate thing.
Many volunteers work for national, and one of the volunteers has a friend in, say, Belgium.
She chats to her friend in Belgium from time to time... you know, small talk about this and that.
The Belgium friend mentions to her other friend in Canada about this and that.
The Canadian friend mentions to her friend in Minneapolis about this and that.
And Minneapolis friend mentions to Ron Paul Forums.com about this and that.
Where's the problem?

Thought crimes don't need to make sense! :p

But, the Official Campaign has to walk a fine line, because the status quo will use any opportunity to "enforce" the written rules.

I don't really have a problem going against the unwritten rules but the written rules as broad and as easily twisted as they are can drag a movement down by sapping energy. There will be many lies to counter, but it will be very difficult to fight lies that contain some truth, because those are the most dangerous of lies.

Think about how Martha Stewart went down and the method and tactics used against her.

foofighter20x
08-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm wondering...

I get that the campaign can't direct our efforts, but... Does that prohibit us from informing them of what we are up to, keeping them in the loop?

I don't think it would...

That way, if they are in the loop, they don't waste their efforts on something that's already being done, you know?

Anyone, thoughts?

goldenequity
08-04-2007, 03:51 PM
What a liberating post this is!

Listen, this text, should be forwarded to EVERY Ron Paul Meet-up group

and I don't even KNOW how/if that could be done?

Certainly should be RECITED by the upcoming RonPaulRadio.com broadcast!

Also, (josh) a Sticky might not be bad for a week or so.

Like I said...LIBERATING!:) :)

Also, if the grassroots (now understood as an independent) had it's OWN HQ.....maybe they could help focus stuff like radio and tv campaigns like some have suggested......ya know like, "Paid for by Citizens for Ron Paul" type stuff....

BlindD
08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, let's get creative here!
We've got tons of technology and lots of super-smart people going for RP.
Whole industries work with "negative stealth."
How about some "positive stealth"?
Get creative. Work things out.
National obviously needs to keep confidential and important info to themselves. Sure.
However, national also probably has lots of very run-of-the-mill info that would be quite useful for the grassroots.
I suspect that national is hyper-conservative and 'scared' about any mishap; about letting 'anything' out.
So, I say they can keep the important and confidential closely watched over.
Let the "fluff" and gray-area info out, one way or another.

Kuldebar
08-04-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/2007-08-04+Ron+Paul+Paris+(4b).jpg

Spontaneous action is the core of the hidden order arising from human endeavors!

Such is the machinery of freedom.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I think it's working okay, we and the campaign travelling down two separate roads, generally parallel and in the same direction.

Lord Xar and company did the radio ads, some of us in Minnesota did an independent DVD mailing to a targeted group, Gigaplex did his independent DVD project. No troubles.

Okay, it WOULD be nice to know WHEN they are running ads and the content thereof, not so we would coordinate or even TALK with them about it, but so we don't duplicate efforts.

In other words, THEY can tell us what THEY are doing; we just can't tell THEM what WE are doing.

BlindD
08-04-2007, 04:03 PM
I get that the campaign can't direct our efforts, but... Does that prohibit us from informing them of what we are up to, keeping them in the loop?
That way, if they are in the loop, they don't waste their efforts on something that's already being done, you know?

Also, if the grassroots (now understood as an independent) had it's OWN HQ.....maybe they could help focus stuff like radio and tv campaigns like some have suggested......ya know like, "Paid for by Citizens for Ron Paul" type stuff....EXCELLENT IDEAS! Now that National has made it clear what the deal is (shoulda been done long time ago), GrassRootsHQ gotta get co-ordinated, primed, pumped and jammin'.

This should be TOP PRIORITY for linking all Meet-up groups, youtube subscribers and all the rest. What a PowerHouse that would be.

Donate legal max $$ to NationalHQ, donate Unlimited$$ to GrassRootsHQ.

PaleoConservative
08-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, this article certainly did ease some of my concerns with HQ. My biggest question though is why is it that candidates who have way less money, like Tom Tancredo, can spend the last month in Iowa but Dr. Paul will just be arriving there this week for his first major campaign trip in the state? Yes, I do remember he was there once before after he got snubbed from the previous debate. New Hampshire, again, I wish he would spend more time there. He made his first campaign stop in South Carolina a little while back. Why? Let's face it folks, if Dr. Paul doesn't win in one of these three early states, his campaign is over.

Anyways, the good news is that I'm a lot more happy with HQ now and very pleased with all the hard work the grassroots are doing. I haven't felt this much steam and passion in a campaign since Buchanan 96.

Looking forward to a great showing at the Straw Poll in Ames next week. Got to get back to my letter writing for to the citizens of that great state now!

goldenequity
08-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Check it out:

HERE (http://ronpaulaudio.com/index.html#new)

Kuldebar
08-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Check it out:

HERE (http://ronpaulaudio.com/index.html#new)

You are welcome, I grabbed it from here:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/014441.html

So, I can't take the credit. ;)

sylvania
08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Check out these photos:

http://www.newhampshireunderground.com/wiki/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=103&offset=0

There were more than a dozen kites there like this one. I think there is plenty of creativity in grassroots members, possibly more so than in HQ.

Kuldebar
08-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Check out these photos:

http://www.newhampshireunderground.com/wiki/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=103&offset=0

There were more than a dozen kites there like this one. I think there is plenty of creativity in grassroots members, possibly more so than in HQ.

This will be useful when the mainstream muggles tell us all to go fly a kite! ;)

BizmanUSA
08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I had many of the same thoughts then I read the Iowan thread/post/letter and BAM things started to make sense - Thank You once again!

Yesterday I had the privilege to assist the Nat'l HQ advance staff traveling with RON PAUL at the Pittsburgh Rally.

DAG, in comparrison to this fine group of dedicated class individuals there is less processing going on the inside an Intel Quad Core Chip running at double the clock speed!

I have seen WAY TOO MANY previous campaign advance teams with 3 times the staff do less than half the work that this crew pulled together in hours instead of days.

BTW, If the Nat'l HQ Advance Team reads this post then "OK Gloat Time is OVER and Back to Work" we got an election to WIN! :D

As a General Contractor (GC) replied to one of his Sub-Contractors (Sub) when the Sub Innocently Asked "What time was it?" the GC said "TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK!"

This especially is directed to ALL of us if we are to save our USA via the most direct route which we all know is Ron Paul! :cool: ;)

It will all come together sooner than later and some of the previous posts and quote replies are pretty darn insightful. :D ;)

Now thats what I call harnessing our brain power for the common goal! :cool:

BizmanUSA

LibertyEagle
08-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm wondering...

Anyone, thoughts?

YES. That's the point. If we tell them what we are doing, then we are crossing the line into FEC regs territory. We cannot tell them.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-04-2007, 07:10 PM
DAG, in comparison to this fine group of dedicated class individuals there is less processing going on the inside an Intel Quad Core Chip running at double the clock speed!

How many times have I said that EXACT same thing! ;)

I love geeks. I'm a mere wannabe next to you guys. :D

Roxi
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm wondering...

Anyone, thoughts?

at this point they have directly expressed that they do NOT want to know what we are doing IF it involves money or contributions to one of us for a purpose etc (donating food doesn't count) but if we pool together any amount of money over 1,000 dollars then we are violating the rules unless you have applied to be a PAC

so at this point PM's are going to be a valuable asset when it comes to donating money to one person or another.... now if someone were giving you money or buying a service or an ad from you and you chose to spend the money on something on your own accord nothing could be done about this (I don't believe if the money is going to a charity this would be illegal UNLESS you claim the donation on your taxes

LibertyEagle
08-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Even WITH a PAC, it's my understanding that we can't advise them of our actions.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Thank McCain and the other big government, anti-First-Amendment nazis for these campaign finance laws. They accomplish nothing but to silence the average guy and to wear us down with paperwork, kill us with regulation. Death by bureaucracy.

AZ Libertarian
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Jennifer - does the e-mail restriction include us Group Organizers? I have 284 people in my Group - I can't e-mail them all individually if I want to?
Also - I have ASU students in my group that are planning on manning a table at the Student Union - do you need their help? Do you want to coordinate with them?

anewvoice
08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
One thing I wonder with regard to the commercial ad spots. Times have changed, and youtube is as much an advertising platform as anything. We are free to download said videos and re-release given the open nature of things.

Sure they can't ask us to, but best i can tell, we needn't be asked to do anything anyway.