PDA

View Full Version : Arlo Guthrie Endorses Ron Paul-Read His Statement!!!

Laja
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Legendary singer-songwriter Arlo Guthie endorses Ron Paul. Here's the statement:

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – Republican presidential candidate and Texas Congressman Ron Paul's campaign has been endorsed by legendary folk singer-songwriter Arlo Guthrie.

Guthrie, known for a series of hits including "Alice's Restaurant," issued the following endorsement of Dr. Paul:

"I love this guy. Dr. Paul is the only candidate I know of who would have signed the Constitution of The United States had he been there. I'm with him, because he seems to be the only candidate who actually believes it has as much relevance today as it did a couple of hundred years ago. I look forward to the day when we can work out the differences we have with the same revolutionary vision and enthusiasm that is our American legacy."

expatinireland
01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
a higher profile endorsement that might strike a chord with the average Joe on the street. May this be the first of many.

acptulsa
01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Now if we can get him to sing his father's This Land is Your Land in support!

Lord Xar
01-29-2008, 02:47 PM
this on front page of yahoo OR any page?

ToryNotion
01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Legendary singer-songwriter Arlo Guthie endorses Ron Paul. Here's the statement:

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – Republican presidential candidate and Texas Congressman Ron Paul's campaign has been endorsed by legendary folk singer-songwriter Arlo Guthrie.

Guthrie, known for a series of hits including "Alice's Restaurant," issued the following endorsement of Dr. Paul:

"I love this guy. Dr. Paul is the only candidate I know of who would have signed the Constitution of The United States had he been there. I'm with him, because he seems to be the only candidate who actually believes it has as much relevance today as it did a couple of hundred years ago. I look forward to the day when we can work out the differences we have with the same revolutionary vision and enthusiasm that is our American legacy."

I'm trying to imagine the rest of the 2008 field writing the Federalist Papers (and I'm no fan of the Federalists).

Laja
01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

No, it's not. That's too bad. It's on the Ron Paul website here:
http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates/2008/01/29/arlo-guthrie-endorses-the-only-candidate-who-would-have-signed-the-constitution/

virginiakid
01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice, Really didn't know who Arlo Guthrie was until I noticed he sung the "City of New Orleans Song. Sorry, I don't follow famous people around. Don't watch TMZ or anything like that so, I am out of the loop when it comes to these kind of things.

virginiakid
01-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Everybody loves the federalist papers, what they really should read are the Anti-Federalist papers.

I'm trying to imagine the rest of the 2008 field writing the Federalist Papers (and I'm no fan of the Federalists).

thedude
During the last week of the 3rd quarter, I was sitting in the Ron Paul Radio chat room and a bunch of us were watching the counter and the names fly through. We all noticed Arlo Guthrie's name. I immediately sent him an e-mail through myspace to which he responded with similar wording as in the statement provided above.

LynnB
Who does Lee Greenwood endorse, if anyone?

Indy Vidual
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
'Alice's Restaurant' is funny :)

Laja
01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Now if we can get him to sing his father's This Land is Your Land in support!

What a cool idea!

crackyflipside
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't know who he is...

But that John Mayer video seems to be getting attention. Although I think Mayer was a bit inebriated, he does say "Ron Paul knows the constitution and I'm with that guy."

Laja
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
He's kind of a legendary folk singer. Did you ever hear his song "Alice's Restaurant?"

Molly1
01-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Maybe this will wake up the baby boomers. Guthrie was one of their heros.

Laja
01-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe this will wake up the baby boomers. Guthrie was one of their heros.

Yeah, if they hear about it. I wonder whether any corporate-owned media will publicize it.

Molly1
01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, if they hear about it. I wonder whether any corporate-owned media will publicize it.

We should write to Guthrie himself and tell him we need his help and to openly go public with his support of Ron Paul himself to all of his fans.:D

Maybe he could write a song or two for Ron Paul while he's at it.

ShowMeLiberty
01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
YouTube of Arlo Guthrie performing "Alice's Restaurant" (over 18 mins long): http://youtube.com/watch?v=b8DtpdXZi0M

:D

Gadsden Flag
01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Maybe this will help get some of the senior vote in Florida. This guy is an ancient hippie.

Laja
01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Maybe this will help get some of the senior vote in Florida. This guy is an ancient hippie.

LOL! That ancient hippie falls below the radar of the elderly in Florida. He's more like just past mid-age (60's maybe). Not 80's or 90's like the Florida folks.

expatinireland
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

It could be if the Official Campaign used someone besides Business Wire to issue their press releases.

PatriotOne
01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't know who he is...

Good write up on him in Wiki. I absolutely forbid this generation to not know who Arlo Guthrie is :mad:. He is a legendary part of history. Dude played at Woodstock :)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlo_Guthrie

mortepa
01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
This will be HUGE with my mom!

I saw Arlo in concert with her a few years back and I just assumed he was a liberal hippie at the time. Then again, I was heavily leaning on the neocom side then too.

Arlo is well known and has a rather diverse, large following! (I was 30, mom was 58) He even wrote a childrens book that we had autographed for my daughter. Something about a moose.

Anyways, I love Arlo even more now! :-)

newmedia4ron
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
ITS TIME TO REQUEST A WILLIE NELSON ENDORSEMENT

I believe he is friends with Arlo.

Willie said he supported Kucinich but has dropped out since.

TOUR SCHEDULE (http://www.allaccesstoday.com/tourhq/tourshow.php?function=showtours&siteID=16)

Fan Mail Address:
Willie Nelson
William Morris Agency
One William Morris Place
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
USA

Address Information:
William Morris Agency
(Talent and Literary Agency)
One William Morris Place
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
USA
Phone: (310) 859-4000
Fax: (310) 859-4205

PLEASE SEND LETTERS

I think it would be good press.

Laja
01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Willie is a Democrat, isn't it?

PRIEST
01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
This could be helpful with old folks and vets.

davidkachel
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Good write up on him in Wiki. I absolutely forbid this generation to not know who Arlo Guthrie is :mad:. He is a legendary part of history. Dude played at Woodstock :)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlo_Guthrie

Ditto. If you don't know who Arlo Guthrie is, your education is sorely lacking.

Swmorgan77
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Compared to what we've got now, even the most radical of the "Federalists" (actually Nationalists) of the revolutionary era would be a DREAM COME TRUE.

jsu718
01-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Willie is a Democrat, isn't it?

Willie is a Texan, and I think he would go for Ron Paul. I think the only thing that might hold him back is the fact that Willie runs his own Bio-diesel company and might not agree with Paul's stance to get rid of subsidies.

EvilEngineer
01-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I have no idea who Arlo Guthrie is... big name?

kirkblitz
01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
ok so i had to look him up in the itunes store. hes not to bad :D

michaelwise
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I heard Rush mention this today on the radio.

integrity
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Willie is a Texan, and I think he would go for Ron Paul. I think the only thing that might hold him back is the fact that Willie runs his own Bio-diesel company and might not agree with Paul's stance to get rid of subsidies.
getting rid of the IRS would be better than any subsidy!

iznourbaby
01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I have no idea who Arlo Guthrie is... big name?

His father Woody Guthrie was more famous in his day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Guthrie

Young_Apprentice
01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Arlo Guthrie was a huge folksinger in the sixties. He played at Woodstock. His father, Woody Guthrie, was an anti-fascist folksinger in the forties and fifties. i'm actually really pleasantly surprised by this, since Woody and Pete Seeger and all of the people they played with were communists.

jsu718
01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
getting rid of the IRS would be better than any subsidy!

You know... now that I think about it... with Willie's run-ins with the IRS over the years, an endorsement just plain makes SENSE regardless of any other issues. Right?

tom4ronpaul08
01-29-2008, 08:16 PM
plus willie likes his weed .... anti drug war and anti irs has willies name all over it....... this is great news about arlo

PRIEST
01-29-2008, 08:41 PM
We need an endorsement of this caliber coming in every single day.