PDA

View Full Version : What does Ron believe is the SHORT-TERM solution to the economic crisis?

Starks
01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Topic.

Rahl
01-29-2008, 01:10 PM
ending the war ?

zakkubin
01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Massive tax cuts to the people. Stop taxing on savings, social security checks, private schools, etc.
Cut corporate tax from 35% to 25% to create jobs and bring them back home.
Balance the budget.

We are/will go through a recession no matter what. The difference is the other candidates all want to treat the symptom and not the disease.

zakkubin
01-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh yeah end the war of course...

And stop federal gov. from requiring states to pay welfare, health care, schooling, etc to illegal immigrants. They would be deported... Huge savings.

matthylland
war is a good one,
income tax (even just lowering right away, and slowly bringing it down to 0%)
opting out of social security for some
cheaper health coverage by opening up competition.

a lot of his policies will save you money.

RonPaulJunkie
Yes, tax cuts and deregulation to some extent of the markets (correct me if I'm wrong on that last one)

killatop
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
war war war war war war war war war!!!! bring troops home and that will give big tax cuts and grow the economy almost immediatly.

btwilli1
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Did you not read his economic package he would put in place? All those tax cuts, plus ending the war.

KewlRonduderules
01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Eliminate income taxes!!!

SVS2K
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/Prosperity

Starks
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
i'm not talking about when he's president. i'm talking about what he would do now as a congressman and what is realistic considering the current nature of congress.

dshields
01-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes, read about what Ron Paul himself recommended.

There is no short-game fix to this my friend. This is very much like making the decision to stop using credit cards, cutting them up and paying them off. It's going to hurt for a while, however a lot of people are not willing to take this step thus the problem continues.

We need to do the same on the government level. As Paul has mentioned we have gone from a creditor nation to a debtor nation. We are in the position of weakness by being the debtors.

Dave

dshields
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
i'm not talking about when he's president. i'm talking about what he would do now as a congressman and what is realistic considering the current nature of congress.

There is nothing HE can do that he hasn't for the past 20 years as a congressmen.

However, WE can call our elected officials and tell them that we support Ron Paul's plans NOW.

If you look, he mentioned several bills that could be passed. Call your elected officials and help Paul convince his fellow congressmen to get this stuff passed.

Dave

Smiley Gladhands
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Meaningless pandering is likely considering the current nature of congress. If you're looking for an action which is a good idea, AND something which could realistically be passed by this idiotic congress, then you'll be looking for a while. ;)

Starks
01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Will Ron vote "nay" on the stimulus package?

ThomasJ
01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
There is no short term solution to this economic crisis in my opinion. The fundamentals of the system are screwed. The market is in a bear market correction at the moment.
The free market is trying to correct itself it needs the correction to get out all the crap.

Its kind of like caffeine give a moderate dose like .25% rate cut and it will give a boost to the economy. Slowly give those rate cuts over time and you can get a sustained boost. Much like coffee though you can only keep the market going for so long before sleep takes over.

The market needs a break from the government intervention. It is trying to correct the ultra low interest rates of 2003. If it is not allowed to correct them now it will only make the crash that much worse. Eventually caffeine stops working because of overload. You also can overdose on it to.

If the FED goes nuts and does .75% cut every month to keep everything going the market will eventually stop caring how much they cut.

Long story short. The short term fix for the economic crisis is a recession.
If you don't let the recession happen we get a Depression. Think the 30's all over again. Only this time we do not have a the wealth of America to live off of for a while.

zmyrick19
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Is it wrong to think that the government is one giant middle-man that lowers overall efficiency of the natural flow of money and wealth?

jarofclay
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Fast food nation mentality says "Fix it now!!"

Microwave me some healthy economy burritos.

jarofclay
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM

I would if I was him. Why would he approve the US going into debt more? Debt is why we are here.

Starks
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I do not fault the Fed for the rate increase nor do I fault the congress for passing the stimulus package. As I understand it, the stimulus package is chump change compared to the consequences of ignoring an economic downturn and waiting for Ron to fix it.

EvilNight
01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Ron plans to recoup about one trillion in spending by bringing home the entire American empire - all troops, from all over the globe. That he himself can do the instant he takes office and no one can stop him.

He will also work to dissolve the worst spending offenders and unnecessary departments, like Homeland Security, Education, Internal Revenue Service, Agriculture, many others though those seem to be the top priorities. He can accomplish most of this himself through executive orders. This will save us hundreds of billions.

He will work to end the War on Drugs... in fact, anything we are involved in that has "War on ____" as its name. This he can't do by himself but the Presidency is one hell of a bully pulpit.

He'll cut overseas aid - the vast majority of it.

He'll cut taxes like no one has ever cut them before - taxes to individuals and to corporations, with the intent of giving Americans more of their income, and giving companies the capital to hire new employees and pay better wages. What makes the average joe more money anyway, raising the minimum wage or letting him keep every penny of his paycheck?

That combination of events will cause massive aftershocks in the economy. It will greatly relieve the pressure on our system and stabilize the financial markets. It is NOT a solution, mind you - just the best stopgap possible. This buys us time to fix the economy properly, which will require the cooperation of congress.

dshields
01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I do not fault the Fed for the rate increase nor do I fault the congress for passing the stimulus package. As I understand it, the stimulus package is chump change compared to the consequences of ignoring an economic downturn and waiting for Ron to fix it.

This is the problem. Every little bit does count. If you don't stop spending money on credit you will never stop the real problem.

The money that the US government will borrow to write these rebate checks will ultimately be used to by consumer items such as gas, food, and electronics, which are mostly imported items and not domestically made or harvested.

They just need to drop the politics and let the economy take the correction.

Dave

Starks
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
But what if the self-correcting nature of our economy does not occur in a timely or positive fashion?

davver
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
There is no short term solution

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
There is no short term solution

agree.

What is the short term solution for morbid obesity?

Starks
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
agree.

What is the short term solution for morbid obesity?

Liposuction and bypass surgery?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Liposuction and bypass surgery?

that's a death warrant for an obese person due to hemodynamic complications.
But it sounds good, like Tax Rebates :-)

thomaseusin
01-29-2008, 04:24 PM
I got asked this question before and answered gradually remove the military bases around the world for Trillions of savings and use that savings to gradually remove the income tax.

Was then asked: So how is America going to get any income? Just fund itself?

I don't think I know the issue well enough for an answer. Help?

jsu718
01-29-2008, 04:55 PM

He is Dr. No for a reason. He did indeed vote nay.

born2drv
01-29-2008, 05:00 PM
there is no short term solution. the short term solution that was passed today will help but it's a just that, a short-term bandaid solution that doesn't fix anything.

the real solution is to let the bubble deflate, sit back, do nothing and allow market forces correct itself. yes it will be painful, but it is inevitable, so better to let it happen and be over with now then to keep delaying the mess and make the problem much bigger.

cheese
01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
he's said over and over the most immediate solution is ending capital gains taxes. captialism needs captial to function. this would be stimulus on steroids.

Shinerxx
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I got asked this question before and answered gradually remove the military bases around the world for Trillions of savings and use that savings to gradually remove the income tax.

Was then asked: So how is America going to get any income? Just fund itself?

I don't think I know the issue well enough for an answer. Help?

Our Federal Income Tax does provide a lot of money for our government however, it does not even pay the interest on the money we already owe in our national debt. Our government for the century and decades before the FED and income taxes was funded by constitutional taxes and fees. Corporate taxes and tariffs used to pay for our government. Taxes on petroleum pay for our highway and interstate systems. Local property taxes pay for our schools. Our federal income tax goes to the pocket of bankers, polititions, and foreign countries. You need to watch Aaron Russo's feature film "American : Freedom to Fascism".

Todd
01-29-2008, 05:07 PM

You have it right...It's spelled out at his link. The first way to realistically do this is to start ending unnecessary military expenditures. And I'm in the military, so I know how wasteful that can be.

forsmant
01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I think he would let the recession take its natural course. The business cycle is brought about by fractional reserve banking. Ron Paul does not have a plan to eliminate that style of banking.

bcreps85
01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
He has said repeatedly that we have to stop spending so much money overseas immediately. My guess is that his first goal would be to stop country building, pull everything from overseas home, and stop giving money to foreign countries. That alone would put us in a much better position almost immediately.

After that I think he would start cutting things here at home, such as locking SS at a certain age and letting the rest of us get out, start cutting useless departments, etc etc.

thomaseusin
01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Our government for the century and decades before the FED and income taxes was funded by constitutional taxes and fees. Corporate taxes and tariffs used to pay for our government.

I thought the plan was also to eliminate Corporate Taxes to allow corporations to flourish and revitalize the economy as well?

RageAgainstDC
01-29-2008, 06:08 PM
basically just putting more money in the hands of the people. our people, not iraqi or south korean or german people. more money being spent drives growth which creates more profits which creates more jobs, and so on. we just have to hope people save more than they spend or we will see even higher inflation as the currency is essentially dumped into circulation by people who can't wait to spend the money they worked for, but have been robbed of for so long. it will balance out in due time, though, and all will be right with the world ;).