PDA

View Full Version : ~Putting Legal Structures in place..a Short & Long-term National campaign for Freedom

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 02:55 AM
***UPDATE: The name has been chosen, "Freedom's Ground" and we are now transitioning from www.RonPaulAmbassadors.com to the "Under Construction" version of www.FreedomsGround.org . We are now Incorporated in the state of PA and have several grassroots leaders signed onto out Advisory Committee and Barry Goldwater Jr. on our Founding Board.

Join Katharine (me) April 16, 2008 from 9-11pm EST for our Web-a-Thon fundraiser on www.justin.tv/blimpette . http://www.freedomsground.org/images/FinalUpright.jpg (http://www.freedomsground.org/WebAthon.htm)
We'll have some nice merchandise (and a few more rare pieces of Ron Paul Blimp apparel) to give to people who donate at different levels.***

I have been thinking through where this movement is headed in the near future and in the long term and what structures we require to promote and achieve freedom for our country. When LPA had to cancel the Super Bowl ads to remain FEC compliant I determined that we need to set up a way that money for projects could be raised legally on a national level (without counting towards campaign contribution limits or individual donors being reported to the IRS). I have done the preliminary research with a respected FEC lawyer to determine what legal structures will be necessary to accomplish what I and some others feel to be the most important outreach and educational goals of our movement as well as direct television and other media ads. My lawyer is prepared to proceed further with the Federal legal as soon as I have the money to get the legal structures in place.

Please let me know your thoughts on the following in this thread, through PM and via my email, katharine@freedomsground.org:

-What educational (constitution, economy, federalist papers, foreign policy, etc) objectives you want to see achieved in the short and long-term.
-If there are projects you have tried to pursue but have been unable to proceed with legally or receive funding for because of the legal concerns of your potential customers.
-If you are a credentialed expert on the writings and platform of Ron Paul, the Constitution, economics, foreign policy, immigration, etc... as there will be a need for a staff of fact-checkers and scholars to make sure that all materials put out by the organization meet the most rigorous standards for accuracy and informativeness.
-If you are a talented web designer. :-)
-Anything else you want to discuss.
-If you want to suggest a name this will be very important as it will brand us and people (most of whom have never heard Ron Paul/freedom's message) will decide whether or not to listen further or investigate based on the name. **UPDATE: We have now chosen a name.***

This organization's tent must be open and big like Ron Paul's. The organization will be non-partisan and nonsectarian. It will not just be a forum for Freedom/Ron Paul supporters to find community but will actively reach into the homes and businesses of all Americans with polished, professional and exciting educational campaigns and multimedia. I really imagine this being a very far reaching and powerful organization that will prepare hearts and minds nationally for the changes that must be made for the future of freedom. As I proceed with having the legal work done I will release more details about exactly what initiatives will and will not be possible and what restrictions and reporting (if any) will be necessary...***UPDATE: Your name, contact information and donation amounts will not be reported to the IRS with the structure we are using, donations can be unlimited and will not count towards your campaign or PAC contribution limits.*** Please feel free to ask me about particular initiatives to see if they'll be legal under this organization.

If you want to know more details or have constructive criticism of the plan please let me know. If you dislike me or are determined not to see this project succeed please state your feelings in a single post and then leave the thread uncluttered for those who have something helpful to say.

Please donate (http://www.freedomsground.org/tDonate.htm) to help with our startup costs. Also, visit us at Freedom's Ground (http://www.freedomsground.org) to read more about us and why we are starting this organization. Watch me Mondays and Wednesdays from 9-10pm EST on www.justin.tv/blimpette (http://www.justin.tv/blimpette) to ask questions about Freedom's Ground and to talk about freedom movement favorites like the economy, foreign policy, education, taxes and more.

Thank You!

Katharine

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Current total raised: $600

Tarzan
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I also believe we need to become more organized and focused. A 501c4 organization will give us the power and flexibility and help achieve our goals... primarily of restoring a constitutional government.

I have chipped in and hope you will do the same. Imagine a legal organization with the ability to educate the american people as to the meaning and benefits or following our constitution. Other successful organizations have gone this route and it has worked well for them... the NRA, AARP, MoveOn.org (ugghh), Sierra Club and others. We need to do the same!

The benefits would be huge and allow for enormous flexibility in our efforts to educate people and support specific candidates... including advocacy ads... with the added benefit of NOT having to report sponsor or membership information to the FEC... or limit any donations or payments for a specific effort.

I have worked with Mckarnin (Katharine) extensively and trust her to get this organization started... I have chipped in and encourage others to do the same so we can get the legal framework in place.

To learn more and meet Katharine visit her on JustinTV at:
http://www.justin.tv/blimpette (http://www.justin.tv/blimpette)
Live feed begins at 9:30pm Eastern time
tune in to learn more and ask questions and get answers

I hope you will take part in this next step of the American Endeavor.
thanks all

liberteebell
01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
bump for later

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Here, instead of going through my Justin.tv you can go directly to my chipin page:
http://katharinememole.chipin.com/

I also added my phone number there. I will add it here as well: (412) 805-9543. I have spoken to many people over the last few days and would be happy to discuss this organization with you, answer your questions, hear your suggestions and address your concerns. I may have to limit individual phone calls to 10 minutes. I look forward to hearing from you. Here is my personal email address: LymanAssist@gmail.com

terryp
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
At some point, if we see that we will not get the GOP endorsement,
and if Dr. Paul hints at a third party run,
then I propose a mass voter registration drive to change parties.

I had looked at some of the political parties, but am not familiar with them.
However, In the interest of Dr Paul's views and his long term sacrifice,
I think it would be a great to hijack a lesser known party, or create one in honor RP.
I think it would send a huge message to have thousands and thousands voters
switch to the ______ Party an the day Dr. Paul, revealed a third party run.

My point to this is I think it would send a powerful message to the MSM, and Dr. Pau thst we are here and not going away.

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM

I think it would be a great to hijack a lesser known party, or create one in honor RP.

My point to this is I think it would send a powerful message to the MSM, and Dr. Pau thst we are here and not going away.

This organization, as non-partisan and nonsectarian would be able to put its education and advocacy resources behind any candidate whose platform jives with the organization regardless of party affiliation. If we get this set up in the next few weeks we can advertise for Ron Paul Republican, Murray Sabrin Republican, etc... but if they switch parties we can continue to support them with advertising just like before. This organization would give us the flexibility to call the American people's attention to freedom supporting candidates, legislation and initiatives regardless or party or origin. By the same token we could call the American people's attention to freedom endangering initiatives, legislation and candidates regardless or party or origin.

This organization will not be a party. It will be a powerful national organization whose attention is focused on the continued and increased freedom of the American people as outlined in the Constitution. It will support people, legislation and initiatives that forward those goals. It will also reach out and actively educate the American people as to what freedoms they are guaranteed by the constitution, economic policy, foreign policy, etc... So, a very practical and active organization, not a snobby think tank for the intellectual elite but an organization for the people, by the people.

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I also believe we need to become more organized and focused. A 501c4 organization will give us the power and flexibility and help achieve our goals... primarily of restoring a constitutional government.

I have chipped in and hope you will do the same. Imagine a legal organization with the ability to educate the american people as to the meaning and benefits or following our constitution. Other successful organizations have gone this route and it has worked well for them... the NRA, AARP, MoveOn.org (ugghh), Sierra Club and others. We need to do the same!

The benefits would be huge and allow for enormous flexibility in our efforts to educate people and support specific candidates... including advocacy ads... with the added benefit of NOT having to report sponsor or membership information to the FEC... or limit any donations or payments for a specific effort.

I have worked with Mckarnin (Katharine) extensively and trust her to get this organization started... I have chipped in and encourage others to do the same so we can get the legal framework in place.

To learn more and meet Katharine visit her on JustinTV at:
http://www.justin.tv/blimpette (http://www.justin.tv/blimpette)
Live feed begins at 9:30pm Eastern time
tune in to learn more and ask questions and get answers

I hope you will take part in this next step of the American Endeavor.
thanks all

Thank you for your kind words of support.

Katharine

ConstitutionReinstitution
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
It will also reach out and actively educate the American people as to what freedoms they are guaranteed by the constitution,

The Constitution doesn't guarantee any rights or freedoms. It only recognizes them.

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
The Constitution doesn't guarantee any rights or freedoms. It only recognizes them.

Sorry for misphrasing. I try to be respectful of semantics when posting but sometimes slip up.

K

J Free
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I would NOT recommend trying to put in a completely new legal structure. Taking over the Republican Party is the key. We might not be able to do that this cycle - with all the attention and media smearing and activity. But things will quiet down in 2010 - an off-year. We will be able to completely roll over primaries, caucuses, local conventions, etc then.

There is no practical point in creating from scratch some new "group" interested in governance. There are only two groups that know how to govern and that have the skills to do so. Dems and Reps. All other parties are churches. All non-parties can only influence parties.

TAKE OVER THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. Start in your local area. And then work up - to create an effective counter to the national/DC folks. And THEN take over DC.

Yom
01-29-2008, 09:26 PM
^J Free, I don't think this is intended to be a new party, but more like a think tank that promotes RP's message of constitutional limited government, personal freedom, and personal responsibility. It will be useful in identifying true RP Republicans for the grassroots to rally around as well.

davidfarrar
01-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I hope you have set up a bank account and filed with the IRS as a 527.

But my main point is this, there are two important names that must be on the November 4, 2008 ballot: Dr. Paul's, of course, and you own!

That's right, your own.

Your local Republican Party will be electing its Executive Committee members in this upcoming general election. All we have to do to carry Dr. Paul's message into Party ranks is to have RP's supporters go down to their local Board of Election and place their names on the general ballot for their jurisdiction, and be registered as a Republican, of course.

If you are particularly well organized, as you seem to be, you can also place your name on the ballot for the State Representative seat of your State Republican Party from your local party as well.

Organizing this effort through your local county Party and your State party, will probably be more effective after the election in KEEPING THE REVOLUTION ALIVE!!! than any third-party advertising effort. If you can get this message out, Ron Paul support can quickly move into the Party structure by November 5, 2008, and at their next meeting elect their own local Party Chairperson. And from the way I see how you have put this material together, you would have my vote in that regard.

davidfarrar
01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I would NOT recommend trying to put in a completely new legal structure. Taking over the Republican Party is the key. We might not be able to do that this cycle - with all the attention and media smearing and activity. But things will quiet down in 2010 - an off-year. We will be able to completely roll over primaries, caucuses, local conventions, etc then.

There is no practical point in creating from scratch some new "group" interested in governance. There are only two groups that know how to govern and that have the skills to do so. Dems and Reps. All other parties are churches. All non-parties can only influence parties.

TAKE OVER THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. Start in your local area. And then work up - to create an effective counter to the national/DC folks. And THEN take over DC.

As I have just posted. Every serious Ron Paul supporter should already have their names on the ballot as the Republican Party's Executive Committee nominee for their jurisdiction...with just a little organizing, we could take over the Party lock-stock & barrel by November 5, 2008. But it is very, very hard getting this message out to everyone...it seems they have so little actual political experience.

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM

Hey, it would be great if the Republican party would go back to its roots. What I am proposing is not a new party but a respected non-profit organization like the NRA, Sierra Club, Moveon.org that has the clout and the resources to take large scale action quickly. That way we can support freedom with education, ads and activism wherever we find it.

K

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I hope you have set up a bank account and filed with the IRS as a 527.

But my main point is this, there are two important names that must be on the November 4, 2008 ballot: Dr. Paul's, of course, and you own!

That's right, your own.

Your local Republican Party will be electing its Executive Committee members in this upcoming general election. All we have to do to carry Dr. Paul's message into Party ranks is to have RP's supporters go down to their local Board of Election and place their names on the general ballot for their jurisdiction, and be registered as a Republican, of course.

If you are particularly well organized, as you seem to be, you can also place your name on the ballot for the State Representative seat of your State Republican Party from your local party as well.

Organizing this effort through your local county Party and your State party, will probably be more effective after the election in KEEPING THE REVOLUTION ALIVE!!! than any third-party advertising effort. If you can get this message out, Ron Paul support can quickly move into the Party structure by November 5, 2008, and at their next meeting elect their own local Party Chairperson. And from the way I see how you have put this material together, you would have my vote in that regard.

Good points!

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
^J Free, I don't think this is intended to be a new party, but more like a think tank that promotes RP's message of constitutional limited government, personal freedom, and personal responsibility. It will be useful in identifying true RP Republicans for the grassroots to rally around as well.

I am really thinking along the lines of the NRA/Sierra Club/moveon.org...education, activism, watchdog initiatives...and most importantly a national presence and high degree of legitimacy.

pinkmandy
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I think this is a FANTASTIC short term and long term goal. Besides electing RP, this could be the best thing to come out of the revolution. We get paid next week, I'll contribute what I can. I'll also be happy to help out as needed. I have a B.A in Government and Politics. That's the extent of my credentials (besides our revolution and a love of politics) but if I can be used, use me. :)

kyleAF
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Bump for the OP...

But especially BUMP for DavidFarrars post! You should set that up with the forum guys and get a thread on it!

I wish I could do that, but I am active military...

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
I think this is a FANTASTIC short term and long term goal. Besides electing RP, this could be the best thing to come out of the revolution. We get paid next week, I'll contribute what I can. I'll also be happy to help out as needed. I have a B.A in Government and Politics. That's the extent of my credentials (besides our revolution and a love of politics) but if I can be used, use me. :)

Thank you very much for the encouraging words and financial support.

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
It was recommended that I add this information to this thread from another post on another thread:

Me on the new organization:

"The first initiative will be running ads and educational campaigns for Ron Paul. The way this will be set up it won't matter whether he runs as a Republican presidential candidate, Independent presidential candidate or goes back to running for congress we can still support him."

Mckarnin
01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Current Chipin Balance: $740

rs3515
01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey you might want to know, Freeople.com (www.freeople.com) is planning to do some of the things you're suggesting, and it will be live in the next couple of weeks. You might want to get in contact.

greendiseaser
01-30-2008, 01:00 AM
I am really thinking along the lines of the NRA/Sierra Club/moveon.org...education, activism, watchdog initiatives...and most importantly a national presence and high degree of legitimacy.

Wow Kat, i think you are REALLY on to it!
This idea, in all its current amorphous vaguery needs to be adopted ASAP and funded HEAVILY by ALL supporters.

I'm not even sure where to start with ideas, but i'm gonna just go at it, because you are proposing something i have been thinking about for a year or more.

Okay. Heres the deal.
Even after grabbing a bourbon and coke, i couldn't think of a way to get across the jist of it in stupid text ... so i found a site where i could "draw" it out ...

try this link (http://www.stinkerdoodle.com/index2.php?x=24270&y=-3266) ... if it doesnt work (i cant get it to work myself), just go to stinkerdoodle (http://www.stinkerdoodle.com) and search for "ron paul" or "the plan" ... and CLICK!

Please let me know if you get it.

I think the major points i have, besides the connected nature of the exercise your are attempting ... the major ones are the MEDIA and the FINANCE.

I have all sorts of ideas for taking over public access channels en masse across the country, getting targeted info out on the Federal Reserve, and ways to fill airwaves\cable etc ... but lets get this ball rolling.

And also, just as you have already found out with Ronpaulblimp, a massive part of this effort is getting funds. And ya'll have been smart to at least attempt with the legal structure to set it up as a legitimate business. WE NEED TO EXPAND THAT IDEA and really really really run with it. If "the movement" can also turn in to one hell of a business, then it is rock solid ... ie. it has the money it needs. There are all sorts of ideas to be discussed. Something like bant-shirts (http://www.bant-shirts.com/) that is artsy, or a true ad agency, or (and i know this is way out there) actualy uniting to BUY a tv channel (which would be SO HUGE), i dunno ... i'm not the greatest businessman ... but sustaining the movement with business operations is a fantastic idea to be looked at!

Also, running with that ...
I think a way to empower the people beyond just saying "donate on this money bomb day" or whatever, is to say "Hey, BUY SOME STOCK IN LIBERTY!" ... let them become part owners ... this is great ... of course CONTROLLING share status needs to be reserved, so as to keep "THEM" from taking over OUR organization.

Beyond that ... oh man ... i don't know where to go.
You've got me so excited. Lets just keep this going.
Lets get some enthusiasm behind this notion, because it is WHAT WE NEED.

Oh. One more thing. The "Moveon.org" nature you mentioned. "The movement" MUST embrace a very STRONG version of this idea. We need to cross reference TV spots and literature, AND our grassroots efforts and activist happenings with a WELL BRANDED web based INTERACTIVE backbone.

We already have lists of all sorts of supporters, and all sorts of websites.
What we need now, beyond all the rest you are suggesting, is a branded way of reaching out to ALL OF US at the press of a button.

30 second ads can be cliffhangers (i see a LOT of opportunity for this with Fed. Reserve and mystery\suspsense style commercials) that say "Find out what happens at BLAHBLAHBLAH DOT ORG!" ...

and then bam! you've made the leap.
Now the person says, "Oh shit! What was that? I think i just saw a 30 second mindf*#k, where i was told the entirety of the last hundred years is a sham, and we are headed for the NWO ... i better log on and see what that was all about ... it sounds like someone has found the answer, and wants me to help out!"

If we as a movement can find away to get these multiple aspects of sucess packaged together in to a viable functional and self-sustained legal entity, we will BE UNSTOPABLE!

Anyhow.

Anyone who can better expound upon this stuff, please chime in.

I'm just pumping out motivation and some very rough ideas!

Oh.
Here is one more, possibly the penultimate, idea ...

having just seen RS3515's post saying "Hey you might want to know, Freeople.com (www.freeople.com) is planning to do some of the things you're suggesting" ...
... one final idea would be to start this "whatever-it-is-we\you-are-proposing" as a OVERARCHING-BRAND ... in other words ... say ... the organic movement ... (although, "organic" is such a red tap bunch of BS) ... all the organic farms themselves ... they are seperate ... but they all at some level believe in progressing from conventional agriculture to a more healthy 'alternative' ... just as we Ron Paul\Constitution\Freedom supporters may have our own seperate ventures etc ... but ALL truly "organic" farms have the "ORGANIC" brand on them ... they are certified by NOP or CCOF or whatever.

Basicaly, if the business could be ALL the things previously mentioned, but also work in coordination with and be a sort of supervisory board for ALL OTHER independent (yet cooperative) efforts to restore liberty ... well then, hell yeah.

It would be a label that could be thrown up on all likeminded websites (and linkable, clickable! a banner) and literature (product or otherwise) and basicaly just be like ... hey this site does this or that, but we ALL have ONE goal ... so come here and read about it, get involved, etc etc etc. Also with a brand like that you can get some companies to put in on their product and also do the "for each unit sold, so-and-so dollars\cents go to Libert Brand.com" or whatever.

Making sense, or sounding schitzophrenic?

:D

pinkmandy
01-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Bump because this does need funding. RP supporters who have maxed out should be all over this.

davidfarrar
01-30-2008, 09:05 AM
It was recommended that I add this information to this thread from another post on another thread:

Me on the new organization:

"The first initiative will be running ads and educational campaigns for Ron Paul. The way this will be set up it won't matter whether he runs as a Republican presidential candidate, Independent presidential candidate or goes back to running for congress we can still support him."

As a 527, you are limited as to what kind of ads you can run and not trigger the FEC requirements. Check with your attorney on this point. But I believe you can't run any ads whose aim is to affect the outcome of an election. In short, you can't say who you should vote for...

But as I said, there are three things any serious Ron Paul supporter should do.
One: Vote for Dr. Paul when the time comes.
Two: Donate if you can.
Three: Make sure you are a registered Republican and have your name placed on the November ballot as an Executive Committee member of your local Party. Do this last act and the REVOLUTION WILL CONTINUE!!!

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey you might want to know, Freeople.com (www.freeople.com) is planning to do some of the things you're suggesting, and it will be live in the next couple of weeks. You might want to get in contact.

Thanks for the link! I am looking it over and I'll be passing it on to some other people as I have heard plans to do something similar from some of my contacts. It would be wonderful if our R[evol]ution gave rise to entirely alternative media, activism groups, candidates with viable runs for office...I think that is what we are seeing and working on the beginnings of.

K

Tarzan
01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
As a 527, you are limited as to what kind of ads you can run and not trigger the FEC requirements. Check with your attorney on this point. But I believe you can't run any ads whose aim is to affect the outcome of an election. In short, you can't say who you should vote for...

I think the intentions are larger than a 527. The notion is to go as a 501c4 so a broader spectrum of goals and methods of reaching out to Americans will be possible. This would allow for advocacy ads as well as other programs and services... similar to how the NRA, Sierra Club, AARP and others are able to operate.

Once we have returned control of the goverment to the people, in accordance with the Constitution, we can get rid of all this nonsense (what type of company to create) by eliminating the FEC and the IRS.

For now, I think the goal is to establish a 501c4.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow Kat, i think you are REALLY on to it!
This idea, in all its current amorphous vaguery needs to be adopted ASAP and funded HEAVILY by ALL supporters.

I'm not even sure where to start with ideas, but i'm gonna just go at it, because you are proposing something i have been thinking about for a year or more.

Okay. Heres the deal.
Even after grabbing a bourbon and coke, i couldn't think of a way to get across the jist of it in stupid text ... so i found a site where i could "draw" it out ...

try this link (http://www.stinkerdoodle.com/index2.php?x=24270&y=-3266) ... if it doesnt work (i cant get it to work myself), just go to stinkerdoodle (http://www.stinkerdoodle.com) and search for "ron paul" or "the plan" ... and CLICK!

Please let me know if you get it.

I think the major points i have, besides the connected nature of the exercise your are attempting ... the major ones are the MEDIA and the FINANCE.

I have all sorts of ideas for taking over public access channels en masse across the country, getting targeted info out on the Federal Reserve, and ways to fill airwaves\cable etc ... but lets get this ball rolling.

And also, just as you have already found out with Ronpaulblimp, a massive part of this effort is getting funds. And ya'll have been smart to at least attempt with the legal structure to set it up as a legitimate business. WE NEED TO EXPAND THAT IDEA and really really really run with it. If "the movement" can also turn in to one hell of a business, then it is rock solid ... ie. it has the money it needs. There are all sorts of ideas to be discussed. Something like bant-shirts (http://www.bant-shirts.com/) that is artsy, or a true ad agency, or (and i know this is way out there) actualy uniting to BUY a tv channel (which would be SO HUGE), i dunno ... i'm not the greatest businessman ... but sustaining the movement with business operations is a fantastic idea to be looked at!

Also, running with that ...
I think a way to empower the people beyond just saying "donate on this money bomb day" or whatever, is to say "Hey, BUY SOME STOCK IN LIBERTY!" ... let them become part owners ... this is great ... of course CONTROLLING share status needs to be reserved, so as to keep "THEM" from taking over OUR organization.

Beyond that ... oh man ... i don't know where to go.
You've got me so excited. Lets just keep this going.
Lets get some enthusiasm behind this notion, because it is WHAT WE NEED.

Oh. One more thing. The "Moveon.org" nature you mentioned. "The movement" MUST embrace a very STRONG version of this idea. We need to cross reference TV spots and literature, AND our grassroots efforts and activist happenings with a WELL BRANDED web based INTERACTIVE backbone.

We already have lists of all sorts of supporters, and all sorts of websites.
What we need now, beyond all the rest you are suggesting, is a branded way of reaching out to ALL OF US at the press of a button.

30 second ads can be cliffhangers (i see a LOT of opportunity for this with Fed. Reserve and mystery\suspsense style commercials) that say "Find out what happens at BLAHBLAHBLAH DOT ORG!" ...

and then bam! you've made the leap.
Now the person says, "Oh shit! What was that? I think i just saw a 30 second mindf*#k, where i was told the entirety of the last hundred years is a sham, and we are headed for the NWO ... i better log on and see what that was all about ... it sounds like someone has found the answer, and wants me to help out!"

If we as a movement can find away to get these multiple aspects of sucess packaged together in to a viable functional and self-sustained legal entity, we will BE UNSTOPABLE!

Anyhow.

Anyone who can better expound upon this stuff, please chime in.

I'm just pumping out motivation and some very rough ideas!

Oh.
Here is one more, possibly the penultimate, idea ...

having just seen RS3515's post saying "Hey you might want to know, Freeople.com (www.freeople.com) is planning to do some of the things you're suggesting" ...
... one final idea would be to start this "whatever-it-is-we\you-are-proposing" as a OVERARCHING-BRAND ... in other words ... say ... the organic movement ... (although, "organic" is such a red tap bunch of BS) ... all the organic farms themselves ... they are seperate ... but they all at some level believe in progressing from conventional agriculture to a more healthy 'alternative' ... just as we Ron Paul\Constitution\Freedom supporters may have our own seperate ventures etc ... but ALL truly "organic" farms have the "ORGANIC" brand on them ... they are certified by NOP or CCOF or whatever.

Basicaly, if the business could be ALL the things previously mentioned, but also work in coordination with and be a sort of supervisory board for ALL OTHER independent (yet cooperative) efforts to restore liberty ... well then, hell yeah.

It would be a label that could be thrown up on all likeminded websites (and linkable, clickable! a banner) and literature (product or otherwise) and basicaly just be like ... hey this site does this or that, but we ALL have ONE goal ... so come here and read about it, get involved, etc etc etc. Also with a brand like that you can get some companies to put in on their product and also do the "for each unit sold, so-and-so dollars\cents go to Libert Brand.com" or whatever.

Making sense, or sounding schitzophrenic?

Some of what you mention may need to happen under another legal heading but much of it would be sheltered very nicely under the organization I want to start. I'll be putting up a more imaginative post later that discusses some of the possibilities.

K

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Three: Make sure you are a registered Republican and have your name placed on the November ballot as an Executive Committee member of your local Party. Do this last act and the REVOLUTION WILL CONTINUE!!!

I was originally considering a 527 but due to the nature of the short and long-term goals I have in mind that structure is not my first choice. My lawyer outlined the benefits and downfalls of a 527 clearly and we will be discussing it further. It is an additional structure that I may want to add onto this organization eventually but is not my top choice as it does not allow express advocacy.

K

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM

PS--Don't forget becoming a precinct leader...and getting your Ron Paul supporting friends to do the same:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/precincts-banner.gif (https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/)

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I think the intentions are larger than a 527. The notion is to go as a 501c4 so a broader spectrum of goals and methods of reaching out to Americans will be possible. This would allow for advocacy ads as well as other programs and services... similar to how the NRA, Sierra Club, AARP and others are able to operate.

Once we have returned control of the goverment to the people, in accordance with the Constitution, we can get rid of all this nonsense (what type of company to create) by eliminating the FEC and the IRS.

For now, I think the goal is to establish a 501c4.

Correct. 501 c4...I am continuing to discuss the pros and cons of the potential legal structures with my lawyer to make sure that what is settled on meets the most needs with the most legal protection.

liberteebell
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Bump! I plan to donate as soon as my personal financial crisis is over.

Wyurm
01-30-2008, 03:22 PM
I was originally considering a 527 but due to the nature of the short and long-term goals I have in mind that structure is not my first choice. My lawyer outlined the benefits and downfalls of a 527 clearly and we will be discussing it further. It is an additional structure that I may want to add onto this organization eventually but is not my top choice as it does not allow express advocacy.

K

It sounds like you want to be a combo of what the CFR is (only an anti-CFR) and a certification institution sort of like the ADA (American Dental Associaton). An extremely reputable Freedom advocate. First you require a 3 letter acronym, possibly 4 if necessary. As for what kind of organization to make, a 501(c)(4) allows you to lobby and that may become very important in the future. http://nonprofitmanagement.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_a_501c4_organization

I also suggest taking a look at the CFR's structure. While they are in fact evil in nature and the polar opposite of where this proposed organization would be going, they have been wildly successful to the detriment of America. There could be quite a bit to learn from their success. Also you may wish to take a look at G. Edward Griffin's group http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/ Which is a highly fragmented freedom advocate. The idea being that even if the organization is reduced to one person it still isn't dead.

The CFR and those behind it use a sort of deflective structure with a specific group at the top (Bilderberg) and a great many groups below. This way if something happens to one of the groups below (CFR, Trilateral commission, Brookings Institute, etc...), it's no big deal, however if the top were to be damaged beyond repair then the whole ideal would be at risk. I suggest staying away from that specific model. In other words, other organizations seeking your certification or stamp of approval should not be dependent on your organization to ensure their success.

Just some random thoughts.

ams5995
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
awesome idea!

newmedia4ron
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
see this similar thread
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1099287

greendiseaser
01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
It sounds like you want to be a combo of what the CFR is (only an anti-CFR) and a certification institution sort of like the ADA (American Dental Associaton). An extremely reputable Freedom advocate. First you require a 3 letter acronym, possibly 4 if necessary. As for what kind of organization to make, a 501(c)(4) allows you to lobby and that may become very important in the future. http://nonprofitmanagement.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_a_501c4_organization

I also suggest taking a look at the CFR's structure. While they are in fact evil in nature and the polar opposite of where this proposed organization would be going, they have been wildly successful to the detriment of America. There could be quite a bit to learn from their success. Also you may wish to take a look at G. Edward Griffin's group http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/ Which is a highly fragmented freedom advocate. The idea being that even if the organization is reduced to one person it still isn't dead.

The CFR and those behind it use a sort of deflective structure with a specific group at the top (Bilderberg) and a great many groups below. This way if something happens to one of the groups below (CFR, Trilateral commission, Brookings Institute, etc...), it's no big deal, however if the top were to be damaged beyond repair then the whole ideal would be at risk. I suggest staying away from that specific model. In other words, other organizations seeking your certification or stamp of approval should not be dependent on your organization to ensure their success.

Bump.
An analysis of how the CFR functions would be of good value.

Also agree about a strong and short acronym.

Why not go TRIED AND TRUE?

Center For A Free Republic or Citizens For A Free Republic

ahem ... CFR.

:rolleyes:

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Bump! I plan to donate as soon as my personal financial crisis is over.

Thank you.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 04:05 PM
see this similar thread
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1099287

Good, glad to see that you have candidates in mind. Once we're set up and can investigate we may throw our support behind the ones who measure up :-).

gracebkr
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
sorry, wrong thread.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 04:38 PM

I want to avoid having anything under the organization that is not directly supported and maintained by the organization (both for their stability and for our legitimacy). We may have affiliated/member organizations to help bolster smaller efforts/give them legitimacy but I don't want anything other than our own initiatives dependent on us. Still working on the structure.

I will look into the CFR more as an organization to see what they are doing right and wrong.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Bump.
An analysis of how the CFR functions would be of good value.

Also agree about a strong and short acronym.

Why not go TRIED AND TRUE?

Center For A Free Republic or Citizens For A Free Republic

ahem ... CFR.

:rolleyes:

LOL! Too confusing. Since this organization will be going out to the American people with education, candidates and activism and will not expect them to come to use we are going to work on being friendly, approachable and clearly non-partisan/non-sectarian. A hard hitting message that is fact-checked within an inch or its life and oozing integrity...in a user friendly package that does not require a degree in economics or American History.

K

RageAgainstDC
01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I will certainly donate, both time and money. Just say when and where :)

davidfarrar
01-30-2008, 04:59 PM

As I have pointed out before, all you have to do is register as a Republican and have your name placed on the November ballot as an Executive Committee member of your local Party. .

By the very next meeting of your local Republican Party all across this nation, we can move to vote a RP supporter in as County Chair of your local Republican Party and the rest, as they say, is history.

Do this last act and the REVOLUTION WILL CONTINUE!!!

dannno
01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Executive Committee member of your local Party

Is this a paid position??

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I will certainly donate, both time and money. Just say when and where :)

Money, here: http://katharinememole.chipin.com/ (excuse the squished together words. However chipin posts text it messes up the formatting).

Time: I am re-reading the constitution and writing up more of the foundational information tonight and will be making it available tonight or tomorrow morning. As I do that I will think about what kind of help the organization will need immediately and I'll start looking for people to help and will be posting help wanted ads. It will start as volunteer work but may lead to more. I am going to be picky. That's how it has to be if this organization is going to get the airtime and legitimacy that it needs. You'll notice on the chipin text that I am already looking for talented web designers. If you are one, I need your resume and portfolio sites: LymanAssist@gmail.com (I am testing a working address for getting this organization set up and will post it once it works).

Extra: I'll be live online for an hour or so tonight www.Justin.tv/blimpette starting at 9:30pm EST. If you have any questions or suggestions bring them. OR, email your questions to me and I'll get back to you.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Is this a paid position??

Bump for David...I'm not sure.

rs3515
01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Bump for David...I'm not sure.

Hey, send me a PM regarding Freeople, and let's arrange a time to chat live. I can give you more info and we can brainstorm.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey, send me a PM regarding Freeople, and let's arrange a time to chat live. I can give you more info and we can brainstorm.

Thanks. Will Do!

K

Mckarnin
01-31-2008, 02:32 AM
I am working on more detailed foundational documents and writing out the organization's goals. As I release them you will get a better idea what I have in mind. I have received many helpful emails, phone calls, PM's and posts in this thread...please continue to provide your feedback.

Katharine

greendiseaser
01-31-2008, 03:15 AM
looking forward to seein whats shakin here with the real movers.

keep it comin, kat.

Liberty is in the Works!

PS - We (the movement) REALLY need to get behind ALL these candidates running for congress and senate, ASAP.

Throwing a bunch of fresh liberty minded folk in to congress would certainly slap the establishment in the face.

I also recommend taking a look at all the districts that have NO INCUMBENTS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_elections,_2008) running ...

those would be pretty easy spots to get a "new guy" put in.

I think the next thing for the movement to do is start selecting people to just run.

How many people really go out and vote for congressman and senators?
Cant our "wimpy" 10% for the primaries go in and whoop some legislative election buttocks?

BarryDonegan
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Sorry for misphrasing. I try to be respectful of semantics when posting but sometimes slip up.

K

this one particular semantic is a big deal.

when Janet Reno gave a speech about how our government is the best because it gives us the bill of rights, a particular ex military combat medic(not ron paul) i know who served in iraq was spitting venom over that language error.

BTW, i noticed the feminists for life thing you have going, thats a pretty cool organization. are you familiary wiith "ifeminism"? or wendy mcelroy?

shes not a pro-life feminist, but shes an individualist feminist(a libertarian one rather than an anti-family socialist one)

Mckarnin
01-31-2008, 05:15 AM
looking forward to seein whats shakin here with the real movers.

keep it comin, kat.

Liberty is in the Works!

PS - We (the movement) REALLY need to get behind ALL these candidates running for congress and senate, ASAP.

Throwing a bunch of fresh liberty minded folk in to congress would certainly slap the establishment in the face.

I also recommend taking a look at all the districts that have NO INCUMBENTS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_elections,_2008) running ...

those would be pretty easy spots to get a "new guy" put in.

I think the next thing for the movement to do is start selecting people to just run.

How many people really go out and vote for congressman and senators?
Cant our "wimpy" 10% for the primaries go in and whoop some legislative election buttocks?

10% can dominate if 100% of them show up. :)

Mckarnin
01-31-2008, 05:21 AM
this one particular semantic is a big deal.

when Janet Reno gave a speech about how our government is the best because it gives us the bill of rights, a particular ex military combat medic(not ron paul) i know who served in iraq was spitting venom over that language error.

BTW, i noticed the feminists for life thing you have going, thats a pretty cool organization. are you familiary wiith "ifeminism"? or wendy mcelroy?

shes not a pro-life feminist, but shes an individualist feminist(a libertarian one rather than an anti-family socialist one)

Barry,

I understand and really respect attention to detail in speech and in writing. I'm trying to do my homework...to get inspired I re-read the constitution tonight and am going to start on re-reading the federalist papers tomorrow.

Thanks! I really like FFL. It's always a good thing when an org keeps things simple. In their case they realized that religion and partisan lines were not needed for their message and it makes it that much more universal. I like getting at the root of issues and not just trying to stick band-aids on broken models. That's why I like Ron Paul, holistic medicine, the Constitution, Feminists for Life...there is a pattern there.

I just looked up the ifeminists site...will read more later, interesting.

me3
03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
cump

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 02:05 AM
cump

Thanks!

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Bumpity, bump, bump!

JDouglasFisher
03-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Kat,

Whats interesting is that on this past Thursdays "National Meetup Conference Call" I spoke about an hour asking for other people's opinions (roughly 11:00pm to midnight) about the future of the movement, and I was very much describing the same exact thing which you have successfully started up AND named.

I would like to call you about this and see how do we go about starting a "Freedoms Ground" chapter in NJ.

When you get a chance, check your myspace for a phone number from me and contact me when you can...

Thanks,

Joe.

constituent
03-30-2008, 06:47 AM
***UPDATE: The name has been chosen, "Freedom's Ground" and we are now transitioning from www.RonPaulAmbassadors.com to the "Under Construction" version of www.FreedomsGround.org . We are now Incorporated in the state of PA and have several grassroots leaders signed onto out Advisory Committee and Barry Goldwater Jr. on our Founding Board.

Join Katharine (me) April 16, 2008 from 9-11pm EST for our Web-a-Thon fundraiser on www.justin.tv/blimpette . http://www.freedomsground.org/images/FinalUpright.jpg (http://www.freedomsground.org/tWebAthon.htm)
We'll have some nice merchandise (and a few more rare pieces of Ron Paul Blimp apparel) to give to people who donate at different levels.***

I have been thinking through where this movement is headed in the near future and in the long term and what structures we require to promote and achieve freedom for our country. When LPA had to cancel the Super Bowl ads to remain FEC compliant I determined that we need to set up a way that money for projects could be raised legally on a national level (without counting towards campaign contribution limits or individual donors being reported to the IRS). I have done the preliminary research with a respected FEC lawyer to determine what legal structures will be necessary to accomplish what I and some others feel to be the most important outreach and educational goals of our movement as well as direct television and other media ads. My lawyer is prepared to proceed further with the Federal legal as soon as I have the money to get the legal structures in place.

Please let me know your thoughts on the following in this thread, through PM and via my email, katharine@freedomsground.org:

-What educational (constitution, economy, federalist papers, foreign policy, etc) objectives you want to see achieved in the short and long-term.
-If there are projects you have tried to pursue but have been unable to proceed with legally or receive funding for because of the legal concerns of your potential customers.
-If you are a credentialed expert on the writings and platform of Ron Paul, the Constitution, economics, foreign policy, immigration, etc... as there will be a need for a staff of fact-checkers and scholars to make sure that all materials put out by the organization meet the most rigorous standards for accuracy and informativeness.
-If you are a talented web designer. :-)
-Anything else you want to discuss.
-If you want to suggest a name this will be very important as it will brand us and people (most of whom have never heard Ron Paul/freedom's message) will decide whether or not to listen further or investigate based on the name. **UPDATE: We have now chosen a name.***

This organization's tent must be open and big like Ron Paul's. The organization will be non-partisan and nonsectarian. It will not just be a forum for Freedom/Ron Paul supporters to find community but will actively reach into the homes and businesses of all Americans with polished, professional and exciting educational campaigns and multimedia. I really imagine this being a very far reaching and powerful organization that will prepare hearts and minds nationally for the changes that must be made for the future of freedom. As I proceed with having the legal work done I will release more details about exactly what initiatives will and will not be possible and what restrictions and reporting (if any) will be necessary...***UPDATE: Your name, contact information and donation amounts will not be reported to the IRS with the structure we are using, donations can be unlimited and will not count towards your campaign or PAC contribution limits.*** Please feel free to ask me about particular initiatives to see if they'll be legal under this organization.

If you want to know more details or have constructive criticism of the plan please let me know. If you dislike me or are determined not to see this project succeed please state your feelings in a single post and then leave the thread uncluttered for those who have something helpful to say.

Please donate (http://www.freedomsground.org/tDonate.htm) to help with our startup costs. Also, visit us at Freedom's Ground (http://www.freedomsground.org) to read more about us and why we are starting this organization. Watch me Mondays and Wednesdays from 9-10pm EST on www.justin.tv/blimpette (http://www.justin.tv/blimpette) to ask questions about Freedom's Ground and to talk about freedom movement favorites like the economy, foreign policy, education, taxes and more.

Thank You!

Katharine

katherine

awesome!

thanks!

good to see you around again, and i hope this gets lots of traction!

torchbearer
03-30-2008, 08:23 AM

The consitution was written with the assumption that rights were acquired by birth, endowed by our creator. and those rights are unalienable.
So the constitution doesn't speak of rights, it speaks of restrictions for our government assembly. which they are not following!

nayjevin
03-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I was such a fool to sit around for 7 years thinking no one was doing anything about our nations problems. This is one of those threads that reminds me what awesome people are in this movement. Thanks, Kat!

liberteebell
03-30-2008, 08:48 AM
The consitution was written with the assumption that rights were acquired by birth, endowed by our creator. and those rights are unalienable.
So the constitution doesn't speak of rights, it speaks of restrictions for our government assembly. which they are not following!

Too bad everyone in office and running for office doesn't understand this concept.

nayjevin
03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
some quick thoughts:

Books
pamphlets
small softcover (25-50 pp) (reprint public domain classics? the law/bastiat etc?)
volumes (there's a box set called the Joy of Conservatism which sticks in my mind as an example)

Magazines
part of membership? possible to get on newsstands, or just subscription based?

Newspapers
so localized it's probably down the road, but another media avenue

Video
public domain documentaries on DVD?
create documentaries to sell on DVD
public access television
youtube shorts
Illustrative skits (might work for radio too, i'm thinking kind of the politically minded animation shorts on SNL, but just as an example. could also be revolutionary re-enactments, comedy sketches etc - something a bit more palatable to the masses than, say, the money masters)

Marketing
team of roving online networkers (bloggers, commenters) - would recommend strict guidelines for netiquette
membership cards for wallets (conversation starters)

Audio
Radio - internet radio/podcasts - call adam curry, he might be down for sound
Audio books?
Interviews?

Revenue
Amazon book links on website
Novel T-Shirts, stickers, buttons etc
Copper/Silver/Gold member levels

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 10:21 AM
I have your phone number and will call this evening or Monday to talk about the organization. I'm so glad to hear that you were thinking along these lines.

Katharine

Kat,

Whats interesting is that on this past Thursdays "National Meetup Conference Call" I spoke about an hour asking for other people's opinions (roughly 11:00pm to midnight) about the future of the movement, and I was very much describing the same exact thing which you have successfully started up AND named.

I would like to call you about this and see how do we go about starting a "Freedoms Ground" chapter in NJ.

When you get a chance, check your myspace for a phone number from me and contact me when you can...

Thanks,

Joe.

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions! I am pulling this information into our collaboration site. You bring up several new ideas and you're definitely thinking along the right lines in terms of approachability, fun and accessibility. If you have more please post or email to me: katharine@freedomsground.org

some quick thoughts:

Books
pamphlets
small softcover (25-50 pp) (reprint public domain classics? the law/bastiat etc?)
volumes (there's a box set called the Joy of Conservatism which sticks in my mind as an example)

Magazines
part of membership? possible to get on newsstands, or just subscription based?

Newspapers
so localized it's probably down the road, but another media avenue

Video
public domain documentaries on DVD?
create documentaries to sell on DVD
public access television
youtube shorts
Illustrative skits (might work for radio too, i'm thinking kind of the politically minded animation shorts on SNL, but just as an example. could also be revolutionary re-enactments, comedy sketches etc - something a bit more palatable to the masses than, say, the money masters)

Marketing
team of roving online networkers (bloggers, commenters) - would recommend strict guidelines for netiquette
membership cards for wallets (conversation starters)

Audio
Radio - internet radio/podcasts - call adam curry, he might be down for sound
Audio books?
Interviews?

Revenue
Amazon book links on website
Novel T-Shirts, stickers, buttons etc
Copper/Silver/Gold member levels

tajitj
03-30-2008, 10:26 AM
That has been on my mind lately. Wondering why HQ can not use the HighTide Ad. I know there are legal issues. An organization like yours it exactly what we need to figure them out.

I will donate.

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 10:50 AM
katherine

awesome!

thanks!

good to see you around again, and i hope this gets lots of traction!

Thanks! I have been so busy working on this that I haven't had much free time to keep track of the forums...I really need to though. It keeps my energy up. :)

DeadtoSin
03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I know there were some rough patches occasionally with the Blimp at times, but I have to say you guys handled it pretty well in my opinion. I think you guys did well especially since it was your first time doing ANYTHING like this, and you actually got a blimp up in the air.

What can I help you guys with? I'm a Texas college student, but I've got free time, a tiny bit of money and a willingness to work.

If you don't need me immediately for anything, thats cool. (If you guys are just starting out in a small area.) Just let me know how I can help.

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I know there were some rough patches occasionally with the Blimp at times, but I have to say you guys handled it pretty well in my opinion. I think you guys did well especially since it was your first time doing ANYTHING like this, and you actually got a blimp up in the air.

What can I help you guys with? I'm a Texas college student, but I've got free time, a tiny bit of money and a willingness to work.

If you don't need me immediately for anything, thats cool. (If you guys are just starting out in a small area.) Just let me know how I can help.

Thanks. See PM.

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 12:27 PM
BTW, We have raised the $1,200 for state legal and incorporation already and have raised $270 for logo and $150 for Federal Legal. We still have a ways to go but these things will give us a lot of return on our investment.

Katharine

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 08:29 PM
That has been on my mind lately. Wondering why HQ can not use the HighTide Ad. I know there are legal issues. An organization like yours it exactly what we need to figure them out.

I will donate.

Thank you for pledging to support Freedom's Ground!

While it will be awhile before Freedom's Ground runs ads advocating the election of a specific candidate (our reputation as a non-partisan/non-sectarian educational organization has to be firmly established first) you are right that in future this is exactly the kind of situation where we could come in and put up the money to get a grassroots created ad up ASAP.

We will shortly be able to raise money to put out timely educational ads and educational campaigns about the Constitution, our foreign policy, personal freedoms, the dollar/our economy/inflation, education/health/energy choice, possibly about the new power being seized by the Fed if we can find a way of pitching it that smacks substantially more of education than finger pointing/people bashing, etc... Eventually we will have savings so that we can place time sensitive ads quickly and raise money while putting initiatives into place to replace what is being spent rather than waiting on starting and launching initiatives until we raise money.

We plan to track down all the professional level talent we can find and look for new talent (we can reach new people with our message through our ad creation/graphic creation contests, especially if the prizes are good) to help create our television ads, the graphic side of our educational campaigns and more. Back when I worked to run Super Bowl ads via Liberty Political Advertising I was in contact with Hightide Adam, Frankdogg, Brickfilm Adam and several others who had created or were creating ads. In the process of trying to run Super Bowl ads I learned about the nitty gritty of ad preparation, music royalties, end label creation and the legal requirements for what has to be disclosed and how. I also called many local television stations and took quotes and made reservations for ad time in addition to working with a national Fox advertising sales coordinator and reserving ad time with them. What made that initiative fall through was a red flag thrown up by our FEC lawyer. After further review, under Liberty Political Advertising's legal designation, there was no way we could run the ads and be compliant with the laws governing content or reporting of who paid for the ads. FYI--All monies donated (some $14,000) were refunded in full within 3 hours of my finding out we could not legally run the ads under LPA.

That experience was one of the initial things that really made it apparent how badly we needed a pre-existing national legal structure to support quick action coming out of the grassroots, in particular advertising. The legal structure of Freedom's Ground was chosen and is being crafted with this in mind. The legal designation of Freedom's Ground will allow us to run as many educational ads as we want. It will also allow us to run ads advocating for legislative action or a particular candidate.

Sorry if that's more than you ever wanted to know but I think all the legal pitfalls and requirements are interesting challenges so feel free to ask questions if this raises any.

Katharine

raystone
03-30-2008, 11:19 PM

+1

Bryan
03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
+1
Freedom Ground isn't in conflict with the Republican Party, if anything it is in support of it with educational means and organizing a voting block. It isn't running any candidates for office.

Mckarnin
03-31-2008, 12:24 AM
+1

We aren't trying to start a new party. This message is bigger than any one party and that is how we are treating it, as a universal meant for all Americans. Like Bryan said, we aren't running our own candidates or anything like that. We are all about education, reaching out to all Americans with accessible, attractive and accurate information on the constitution, foreign policy, the economy, personal liberties, etc... We want people's hearts and minds...their vote is for the candidates to fight over and the education individuals get from Freedom's Ground will empower them when making that decision.

raystone
03-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Freedom Ground isn't in conflict with the Republican Party, if anything it is in support of it with educational means and organizing a voting block. It isn't running any candidates for office.

Every time a new group is formed splintering the Ron Paul movement, valuable time and resources are used on efforts other than taking back the Republican party.

It feels good to grow a new group, and be with like minded individuals. However, I would argue with historical examples they do little to stop collectivism. John Birch is one example of a STRONG national group that, as a group, done little to impede socialistic movements in the U.S. No offense to its' dedicated members.

Our 3rd party examples, and Independents have been given decades to give it a go, without success. Again, no offense meant.

In just a few short months, Ron Paul supporters have begun CHANGING the Republican Party. RP Supporters are now on Executive Boards of local GOP parties across the country. Resolutions are being passed by those local groups actually CHANGING the GOP platform.

The following are examples in 2 states (TX and MO), it's also happening in Washington State, Alaska....please add states I've missed. Here in my Wisconsin district, we just voted in 1 delegate and 2 alt. delegates that are Ron Paul supporters out of 6 total who will be attending the convention.

-----------------------------------

FORT WORTH -- Ron Paul supporters fought with local Republican leaders Saturday over control of local conventions and may have won the right to push their agenda at the state GOP convention.

Supporters of Paul, a congressman from Surfside who got 4.5 percent of the votes in the presidential primary, tried to overwhelm the senate district-level conventions by sheer numbers. The party regulars, aware that Paul's supporters won a similar campaign in Missouri, brought in extra troops of their own.

The two largest conventions in Tarrant County were still nominating their delegates at 9 p.m., and it may be days before the full effect is known.

"This is not unique to Dallas/Fort Worth; it's happening all over the state," said Stephanie Klick, Tarrant County Republican chairwoman.

Paul's supporters oppose GOP presidential nominee John McCain and want to push the party toward Paul's brand of conservatism, including reining in federal spending, ending the Iraq war and abolishing the Federal Reserve and other government agencies. Any delegates to the state convention will be required to support McCain, but they could still vote for changes in the state party platform.

Peace broke out early at the Senate District 12 convention.

Convention Chairman Tom Quinones worked out a deal to give the Paul camp delegates based on their numbers.

Chad Bishop, a Paul delegate, gave a speech seconding Quinones' nomination, saying the district's "conservative heritage is not lost on us."

Quinones said later, "I think the Ron Paul delegates will be well-represented on our state delegation list."

In Senate District 10, Paul supporter Jeremy Blosser challenged longtime Republican organizer Stuart Lane for chairmanship of the convention.

Blosser bristled at Lane's characterization of Paul's supporters as "outsiders bent on taking over the party."

Blosser said: "We are Republicans. I don't know how you take over something you're already part of."

Lane won the election by 2-to-1, but it took hours to count the votes, and the convention still bogged down with debate over the platform.

"Did we accomplish something today? We're here, and we stood up for ourselves," Blosser said.

================

this vid has been posted several times in the forum, however, it's the concept that is working

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6015291679758430958

if you can't watch another video, here's the synopsis..

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING

1) Run for office

2) Persuade someone you know to run and support them.

3) Support someone you know already running

Mckarnin
03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Raystone,

I agree with what you are saying about 3rd party and Independent runs. You make several good points about taking over the Republican party. Chances are most Congressional and Senatorial candidates running and winning on a "Ron Paul" platform in the near future will be doing so as Republicans . That said, there is a major hearts and minds/informational disconnect between the "mainstream" msm and public discourse version of what is wrong in our country and what is actually wrong. Ron Paul has encountered that difficulty...not only did he have to convince people that he was the right man to lead our country but he also had to convince them that many issues they had never heard about or had certainly not heard from his angle are THE major problems we face. Freedom's Ground will be working on a national level to remedy that informational disconnect with education.

Freedom's Ground has no clear enemy except for thoughtless political discourse and voting. As an organization we will not be discussing or educating on conspiracies or any of the more fringe beliefs of our members. Not because they are untrue but because belief in them rarely leads to positive action and tends to give rise to fear, a cliquish sense of our having insider information and an "us" vs "them" mentality. We need to reach out to our nation with a clear, accurate and attractive presentation of our core ideas. The fragmentation and weakness of which you speak is the result of so many groups wanting to bring their own personal pet ideas and theories into their organizations or even make them the core of their organizations, even when said organization is intended for a national audience. Freedom's Ground will not be further fragmenting our movement by promoting a few secondary ideas, but instead, will join us together in greater unity than we have known for a long time and bring new people into our movement with the respect, optimism, knowledge and energy they find here.

What you are talking about when you say that we are changing the Republican Party is true, our ideas do not deserve to be relegated to 3rd party status, in fact many of our ideas should be universally accepted by all political parties as the Constitution is the core document that our politicians swear to uphold and that constitutes much of what we are fighting for. What we are seeing is people who actually believe in our nation's founding principles + a mainstream political party and it is powerful. As an organization Freedom's Ground wants to see people who believe in our nation's founding principles + a non-partisan/non-sectarian mainstream organization with a high degree of legitimacy and the hope is that we can educate people from all parties (or who have no affiliation at all) and make the message the core of their voting behavior rather than a particular party.

We must firmly believe that every American is capable of understanding and desiring Constitution based government, a strong economy, a foreign policy of communication and trade, personal liberties and more without being scared into it and educate with that in mind.

Katharine

Every time a new group is formed splintering the Ron Paul movement, valuable time and resources are used on efforts other than taking back the Republican party.

It feels good to grow a new group, and be with like minded individuals. However, I would argue with historical examples they do little to stop collectivism. John Birch is one example of a STRONG national group that, as a group, done little to impede socialistic movements in the U.S. No offense to its' dedicated members.

Our 3rd party examples, and Independents have been given decades to give it a go, without success. Again, no offense meant.

In just a few short months, Ron Paul supporters have begun CHANGING the Republican Party. RP Supporters are now on Executive Boards of local GOP parties across the country. Resolutions are being passed by those local groups actually CHANGING the GOP platform.

The following are examples in 2 states (TX and MO), it's also happening in Washington State, Alaska....please add states I've missed. Here in my Wisconsin district, we just voted in 1 delegate and 2 alt. delegates that are Ron Paul supporters out of 6 total who will be attending the convention.

-----------------------------------

FORT WORTH -- Ron Paul supporters fought with local Republican leaders Saturday over control of local conventions and may have won the right to push their agenda at the state GOP convention.

Supporters of Paul, a congressman from Surfside who got 4.5 percent of the votes in the presidential primary, tried to overwhelm the senate district-level conventions by sheer numbers. The party regulars, aware that Paul's supporters won a similar campaign in Missouri, brought in extra troops of their own.

The two largest conventions in Tarrant County were still nominating their delegates at 9 p.m., and it may be days before the full effect is known.

"This is not unique to Dallas/Fort Worth; it's happening all over the state," said Stephanie Klick, Tarrant County Republican chairwoman.

Paul's supporters oppose GOP presidential nominee John McCain and want to push the party toward Paul's brand of conservatism, including reining in federal spending, ending the Iraq war and abolishing the Federal Reserve and other government agencies. Any delegates to the state convention will be required to support McCain, but they could still vote for changes in the state party platform.

Peace broke out early at the Senate District 12 convention.

Convention Chairman Tom Quinones worked out a deal to give the Paul camp delegates based on their numbers.

Chad Bishop, a Paul delegate, gave a speech seconding Quinones' nomination, saying the district's "conservative heritage is not lost on us."

Quinones said later, "I think the Ron Paul delegates will be well-represented on our state delegation list."

In Senate District 10, Paul supporter Jeremy Blosser challenged longtime Republican organizer Stuart Lane for chairmanship of the convention.

Blosser bristled at Lane's characterization of Paul's supporters as "outsiders bent on taking over the party."

Blosser said: "We are Republicans. I don't know how you take over something you're already part of."

Lane won the election by 2-to-1, but it took hours to count the votes, and the convention still bogged down with debate over the platform.

"Did we accomplish something today? We're here, and we stood up for ourselves," Blosser said.

================

this vid has been posted several times in the forum, however, it's the concept that is working

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6015291679758430958

if you can't watch another video, here's the synopsis..

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING

1) Run for office

2) Persuade someone you know to run and support them.

3) Support someone you know already running

raystone
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Freedom's Ground will be working on a national level to remedy that informational disconnect with education.

Katharine, thanks for your information. How will Freedom's Ground complement/duplicate Break the Matrix organization efforts ?

Mckarnin
03-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Katharine, thanks for your information. How will Freedom's Ground complement/duplicate Break the Matrix organization efforts ?

Raystone, thanks for your questions.

We are not affiliated or working with Break the Matrix although I do know several of those who are working on it and am keeping track of the initiative. Freedom's Ground plans to work "within the Matrix" to break it by reaching into people's homes, schools and offices with our information and changing hearts and minds. It will be some time before new media initiatives like Basic Media (aka Break the Matrix), Nolan Chart's new media company, Free Media Networks (formerly Ron Paul Radio), etc. are doing anything besides preaching to the choir. Forming a listener/viewer base takes time. Also, TV and radio listener/viewership requires consistent commitment of time and has to compete with other media outlets for that time and for legitimacy. Right now Freedom's Ground doesn't have much competition since no one is reaching out to people with political information in the way we plan to do so. Depending on the content over at Basic Media or the other new media groups people who we "bring to water" might strengthen their viewership.

If you have more questions please feel free.

Katharine

nayjevin
04-01-2008, 12:01 AM
boredom resulted in this tonight:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2205/freedomsgroundbannergragk8.jpg

does this do anything for you?

no worries if it doesn't

Mckarnin
04-02-2008, 07:31 AM
boredom resulted in this tonight:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2205/freedomsgroundbannergragk8.jpg

does this do anything for you?

no worries if it doesn't

Fun! I would love lots of grassroots type imagery for Freedom's Ground in addition to the "official" logo. I like the grass...and it ties into the Web-a-thon banners....and of course "grassroots" so feel free to put it around and see if you get good feedback. How did you get the grass blades to show up pointy against the words..that's cool? Keep your eye on the collaboration site...I'll be putting up our Web-a-thon t-shirt designs as soon as they come in.

nayjevin
04-03-2008, 12:51 AM
How did you get the grass blades to show up pointy against the words

I cheated! Flame font:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6007/flamefontge4.jpg

boggie08
04-05-2008, 07:25 AM
This Freedom Grounds idea sounds very promising.

Mckarnin
04-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I cheated! Flame font:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6007/flamefontge4.jpg

Nice!

Mckarnin
04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
This Freedom Grounds idea sounds very promising.

Thanks! Here is a thread with a link to a recent blog post written about it by someone after he spoke to me...what we are doing is catching on: :-)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=131768

nayjevin
03-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I sure wish this one would have taken off.