PDA

View Full Version : We gave 'em the gas ?

jmunjr
01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Ron Paul exclaimed "We gave 'em the gas" to Sean Hannity months ago in a post debate discussion regarding Iraq gassing the Kurds(I think).

Does anyone know what he was talking about and have any evidence to support Paul's claims ?

I kind suggested this to some people and they are calling me out on it so now I have to give em some proof... I am also curious myself.

Thanks!

dante
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
It is a well known fact that we gave saddam hussein gas weapons to fight the iranians with... and that he later used it on the kurds as well.... google it... look on wikipedia or something

GoDrNo
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
The provision of chemical precursors from US companies to Iraq was enabled by a Reagan administration policy that removed Iraq from the State Department's list State Sponsors of Terrorism. Leaked portions of Iraq's "Full, Final and Complete" disclosure of the sources for its weapons programs shows that thiodiglycol, a substance needed to manufacture deadly mustard gas, was among the chemical precursors provided to Iraq from U.S.companies such as Alcolac International, Inc and Phillips. Both companies have since undergone reorganization and Phillips, once a subsidiary of Phillips Petroleum and now part of ConocoPhillips, an American oil and energy company while Alcolac Intl. has since dissolved and reformed as Alcolac Inc.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/features/made-in-the-usa/3025/

the article supporting the text is in the link above.

from the article:

In his speech before the United Nations, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell stated that “To support its deadly biological and chemical weapons program, Iraq procures needed items from around the world, using an extensive clandestine network.” But Powell has been notably silent on issues of U.S. culpability, corporate profiteering or violations of international chemical, nuclear and biological treaties. Powell, for instance, neglected to mention that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta sent Iraq three shipments of West Nile virus for medical research in 1985.

Powell also failed to acknowledge that Iraq obtained some of its initial anthrax bacilli from American Type Culture Collection (ATCC), a Maryland/Virginia–based nonprofit bio-resource center that supplies viruses and germs to governments, companies and academic institutions worldwide. Between 1985 and 1989, ATCC sent Iraq deadly shipments that included a variety of anthrax bacteria and germs that cause meningitis, influenza, botulism, lung failure and tetanus, according to media reports and U.N. records. ATCC did not respond to a request for an interview.

Thiodiglycol, a substance needed to manufacture deadly mustard gas, made its way to Iraq via Alcolac International, Inc., a Maryland company, since dissolved and reformed as Alcolac Inc., and Phillips, once a subsidiary of Phillips Petroleum and now part of ConocoPhillips, an American oil and energy company.

The Weekly contacted the Texas law firms representing Alcolac Inc. and ConocoPhillips for comment, but only Ronald Welsh, Alcolac’s lawyer responded. “I have no personal knowledge that Alcolac supplied Iraq” with a component of mustard gas, said Welsh. Alcolac’s attorney also claimed he didn’t know that Gary Pitts had obtained Iraq’s 1997 Weapons Declaration, but said he intends to challenge its authenticity in court.

Alcolac was one of a handful of corporations prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department for illegal exports. Although Alcolac allegedly supplied its mustard-gas ingredient to Iraq and Iran, the Justice Department indicted the company in 1988 only for its illegal exports to Iran, via a German company, Chemco. A Chemco executive, who arranged the sales, was convicted of violating export laws. Alcolac’s chemicals allegedly made their way to Iraq through Nu Kraft Mercantile Corp., via Jordan. In 1989, Alcolac pleaded guilty to one count of violating U.S. export laws.

ctb619
01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.fff.org/comment/com0406g.asp

TruePatriot44
01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_poison_gas_attack

International sources for technology and chemical precursors

According Iraq's report to the UN, the know-how and material for developing chemical weapons were obtained from firms in such countries as: the United States, West Germany, the United Kingdom, France and China.[3] By far, the largest suppliers of precursors for chemical weapons production were in Singapore (4,515 tons), the Netherlands (4,261 tons), Egypt (2,400 tons), India (2,343 tons), and West Germany (1,027 tons). One Indian company, Exomet Plastics (now part of EPC Industrie) sent 2,292 tons of precursor chemicals to Iraq. The Kim Al-Khaleej firm, located in Singapore and affiliated to United Arab Emirates, supplied more than 4,500 tons of VX, sarin, and mustard gas precursors and production equipment to Iraq.[4]

The provision of chemical precursors from US companies to Iraq was enabled by a Reagan administration policy that removed Iraq from the State Department's list State Sponsors of Terrorism. Leaked portions of Iraq's "Full, Final and Complete" disclosure of the sources for its weapons programs shows that thiodiglycol, a substance needed to manufacture deadly mustard gas, was among the chemical precursors provided to Iraq from U.S.companies such as Alcolac International, Inc and Phillips. Both companies have since undergone reorganization and Phillips, once a subsidiary of Phillips Petroleum and now part of ConocoPhillips, an American oil and energy company while Alcolac Intl. has since dissolved and reformed as Alcolac Inc.[5]

Goldwater Conservative
01-29-2008, 12:28 AM
It's a little known fact that in the early 80s crop subsidies for black beans were drastically increased.

jmunjr
01-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Some of my acquaintances say that when NSD-26 (NNSD-26) was declassified it threw a lot of the claims out the windows.

Note the claim of the Reagan NSDD on June,
1982. First, they were NSDs during the Reagan years (the change in
nomenclature to NSDDs didn't occur until about 1986 or so). This
(the claims by Howard Teicher) is what I mentioned before; the claims
seemed like they could legitimate up until the NSDs were declassified
(after which it showed quite clearly that Teicher was a liar).

If you look up the claims by Teicher, you will see that they referred
to (if my memory is correct) NSDD-26 (occasionally NSD-26; note these
are not the same document). Now that it is declassified, you can go
read it for yourself to see what it said. There is a later document
that does mention both Iraq and chemical weapons, but it was a
decision document during the Bush years that encouraged the state
department to try to "reform" Saddam while making it clear to him
that any use of chemical or biological weapons would not be
tolerated.