PDA

View Full Version : How to: Use Google Adwords to promote Ron Paul

tekmo
01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm actually very surprised to see that this isn't being done... I can't tell if everyone missed the boat, or Google is simply not allowing this. But I'll write this tutorial anyway so you can try. I don't have the time or money right now, but if you do, go for it. I use Adwords a lot so this tutorial should help any newbie.

Google's Guidelines on Political Advertising:
Political advertising is allowed.

We permit political advertisements regardless of the political views they represent. Stating disagreement with or campaigning against a candidate for public office, a political party, or public administration is generally permissible.

However, political ads must not include accusations or attacks relating to an individual's personal life, nor can they advocate against a protected group.

If you're soliciting political donations, your ad's landing page must clearly state that the donations are non-tax-deductible.

Why it should work
We all know Ron Paul dominates Digg news and other tech-savvy websites. Most of these sites are full of young people who are already well aware of Ron Paul. On the other hand, a Google searcher is an average person, a person who isn't exactly tech-savvy but they know how to find information.

When you do a search on Google, you'll see advertisements on the side of the page. Mitt Romney Search example. (http://www.google.com/search?q=mitt+romney) If you're in the US, you'll see 2 ads and none of them lead to Mitt Romney's Campaign.

That's wasted space when you could be pushing traffic to a Ron Paul site!

How to do basic Pay Per Click with Adwords
Step 1: Sign up for a Google Adwords account

Adwords Main (http://adwords.google.com/)
When you sign up for an Adwords, you'll be taken through a tutorial to set-up your first account. If you're already familiar with Adwords, keep going.

If you're new to Adwords, this is how it works. You create keywords and you place bids on them. You then create ads, with your Ad text and destination URL. When a user searches for these keywords, your ads display. If a person clicks on your ad, you get charged. If they don't, nothing happens.

Step 2: Develop Keywords
This is fairly simple as you want to bid a name, like Mitt Romney. But here is the trick!!! When adding your keywords, put brackets around them. Do not bid on Mitt Romney, bid on [Mitt Romney]. This means that your ad will only show up for that keyword EXACTLY!! Without the [], your ad can show up for "Romney Mitt" "Mitt Romney pictures" "Mitt Romney donations" "Mitt Romney business hamburgers that are blue" and other such things.

Use [Exact Match] all of the time until you know what you're doing!! This keeps your ad very relative to what people are searching for.

Step 3: Develop Ad
Your ad should be related to your keywords. Don't bid on all of the Presidential candidates in the same ad group. For example, bidding on [Mike Huckabee] means your ad should center around Mike Huckabee. Bidding on [Mitt Romney] and [Mitt Romney Candidate] means your ad should compare Paul to Romney. Or completely bash Romney.

Here's a sample Ad:

Headline: Thinking about Huckabee?
Ad Line 1: Try looking at about Ron Paul
Ad Line 2: The Real Conservative
Destination: RonPaul2008.com

Step 4: Destination URL
You can get away with just pushing traffic right to RonPaul2008, but you're much better off if you have a website already that's related to the keywords. For example, if you have a Mike Huckabee vs Ron Paul for Christians page, definitely set that as your destination URL.

There's nothing stopping you for coming up with Ron Paul vs Any Candidate pages on the issues. Here's the issue: Google will make you pay more per bid if they don't find your keyword on your destination URL. They tend to penalize for it because it's "not related" So no matter what your keyword, it should be mentioned somewhere (the more the merrier) on your destination page.

Step 5:Understanding Quality Score
This is what kills most new people with Adwords. Google will give your keywords a quality score of Poor, Good, Great based on a number of factors. The worse your quality score, the more you will pay for your bid.

The key is to keep everything TIGHT: [John McCain] keywords should have an ad with John McCain's name in there! The destination URL (not just the URL, but the actual page) should have John McCain's name in there too! Don't bunch up all of the candidates names for a single ad that only mentions Ron Paul. Create new Ad Groups and New Ad Text for each candidate!

The more compelling your ad, the higher % percentage of people will click your Ad, which in turn improves your quality score.

Step 6:Setting Bids and Daily Budget
Set your Daily Budget to whatever you are comfortable with. $10 a day or $500 a day. Whatever works for you.

Setting your Maximum CPC (or bid) depends and it's tricky. But if there's only 2 competitors like the Romney example... you can probably start with a 25 cent CPC. You won't be charged more than 25 cents a click, but likely less.

If you go into your account and see that your ad is showing in position 10, you'll want to increase your bid. Only ads 1-8 will show up on the front page!

Step 7: Don't compete.
If eventually you see 10 people bidding on Mitt Romney's name and they all support Paul, you should probably not dive into this as you'll just drive everyone else's bid price up.

Step 8: Keep a Close eye!
Check your account daily! You can run through A LOT of money if you're not careful. [Mitt Romney] gets 65 - 81 CLICKS A DAY! and at 25 cents to a buck a click that can be a couple hundred in a month.

How do I know its working?
There's really no easy way to do it unless you're a designer or programmer. If you're directing traffic to your own page, you can always track clicks to a Ron Paul donate button or to Ron Paul's website from a link on your page.

Or you can always add a poll: "Has this page changed your mind and Mike Huckabee?" Yes, No, Little Bit, Maybe so. You can get really Frank Luntzy here if you ask the right questions. "What if we told you that John McCain eats puppies? Would you still vote for him?" KIDDING!

If you want to learn more, PM me as this only scratches the surface of Adwords advertising.

tekmo
01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Sorry: Move to Grassroots Projects

bingo23
01-28-2008, 11:54 PM
adwords are good. I think organic searches with google news and google websearch is the best medium for elections, and its free and its wide open.

tekmo
01-28-2008, 11:56 PM
adwords are good. I think organic searches with google news and google websearch is the best medium for elections, and its free and its wide open.

Yes, but getting organic searches can take a long time to rank for, and ranking in google news is a much longer tutorial.

Pay Per Click traffic is INSTANT

ronpaulblogsdotcom
01-29-2008, 02:40 AM
This was discussed in one of the meetups I am in. I have experience doing this for products. I wanted to do it for RP and did as well.

I made a large keyword list and cleaned by hand. Sent the traffic to the best page for that term to get a high keyword score.

Ran it for Iowa and New Hampshire. I was spending about $100 a day for a few days before the polls.

I have to hold off for a while. I am tapped and jsut donated again on MLK. If someone wants to sponsor this for an open primary state on Feb 5th just PM me. The campaign is still online just on hold.

I was getting from 38 to 50 cents a click and lots of impressions. It was effective I think and traffic just takes off for a few days before each states primary.

I can target by state so only voters can see it.

bingo23
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
You might want to do more niche terms like "abortion stance" or things that are important to like minded people. You can pay only a few cents a click and get a ton of convertable traffic by using many words.