PDA

View Full Version : Help me to respond please!

rp4prez
08-03-2007, 06:26 PM
A little back ground here. I'm a member of the same fraternity that RP is a member of and so I'm on another message forum with a lot of the alumi that I went to school with. So they were having a discussion about politics and I told them I'm voiting for RP because he is a "brother" etc. I got the usual "he's crazy" feedback and so I asked what their reasoning behind him being crazy was. Their response is below.

I would LOVE some help to put them back in their place and show them what exactly is going on so any help would be awesome! :)

Pull out of the U.N. and NATO; and abandon the Middle EastThe reason this is crazy is that if you want to get anything done with nations that aren't allies, you need diplomacy. Otherwise, you'll be launching wars willy-nilly and we see how good that's done with Iraq. If you want to use diplomacy, you need to be involved in NATO and the U.N. because those are places where our allies work with us to reform nations like Pakistan and Syria.

abolish the IRS and Federal Reserve; go back to the gold standard;Well this is just stupid. Clearly the nation needs to collect taxes to run things that only the nation can do. Clearly the nation needs a depository for some gold to protect the economy from hyperinflation. And finally, clearly the gold standard hasn't been necessary for 30 years and returning to it is dangerous because there's a limited supply of gold in the world.

hard@work
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
We should not be involved in the U.N. in so far as we allow them to effect our sovereign decisions as a nation and a people. Diplomacy of all types, including U.N. membership as a forum for discussion is perfectly acceptable. Don't push aboloshing the U.N., withdrawing from the U.N., or throwing eggs and mooning the U.N. Support using the U.N. properly and increasing international diplomacy directly to compensate for where the U.N. failed for our country in building peaceful bridges. Ron Paul is not so much about getting rid of the U.N. as he is about expanding the role of the U.S. in trade, commerce, and discussion with other countries to compensate and surpass it's failings.

As for taxes, I love this one:

Fine, sure we can tax the heck out of people. You want socialized soda pop that's ok. But don't tax the individual directly. That is saying that the individual owes the government something. Well, not just something - a part of thier livelihood. This is absolutely not true, we owe the government nothing. Taxes should be taken from trade, and trade is a choice - a free choice. Commerce should be the driving force of revenues for our people and our government. Not a percentage of our personal income which is controlled and regulated by men behind brick walls who never meet us. We do not have to give up social services to be free of personal income taxation, although Ron Paul supports reducing spending as well it would ultimately be better to increase the sales tax to compensate than to tax the individual directly. You can argue the economics regaurding this all you want - nothing changes the ethical question of taxing an individuals income. Add to that a few spices such as the hippocracy of the system (rich pays less than middle class?), the rejuvenation of the economy, and the sponsorship of charity. Voila! Tax free soup.

As for the "Gold Standard" it's good to be clear the Dr. Paul supports currency backed by hard assets. Not currency backed by 100% gold or precious metals (although hard assets would include this most likely). People in general do not understand economics, so the key here for me is an explanation of first what "hard assets" means vs. a fiat monetary system based on whatever your fanciful mind can imagine. But I also challenge them, and this is key, I challenge them hard to look into economics and explain to them that learning about economics is important before they make a decision here. If you learn about the world economic view of the U.S. dollar over the last ten years you'll see a very frightening and alarming trend. I'm not even going to tell you what that is, but let's just say you should do the research and look into what currency hard assets are going into right now.

Add to the the looming economic collapse that is buzzing around and you might just convince them that any economic policy addressing the fiat money system is sound economic policy.

My 2 cents.

:)

EvoPro
08-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Ron Paul's foreign policy will surely create much fewer wars by being friends with people, trading with them and staying out of entangling alliances. The UN is a flawed concept that we should outsource our diplomacy and on top of that it is an undemocratic world body.

The income tax only pays the interest from our outstanding debt, which, among borrowing, is a result of our Fiat money system. Inflation, due to Fiat money, is eating away at the middle class. Before 1913 the long-term inflation stayed around 0.1%. Since then it has been around 3 or 4 or 5%, whatever they can get away with. Maybe they sould watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=497251819335380093