PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sad..

CoreyBowen999
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I am STILL working on my mom after 4 months. I have told her EVERYTHING possible. I've come to the conclusion I cannot convince her after a statement. She said: "I wish that money that everybody has contributed to him was put to a better use". I tried to rebute the comment but to no use. She is lost :(

Ginobili
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
If you want, you can cry on my shoulder. I woln't bite. Hopefully.

Naw, but im sad to hear that... it seems alot of people cannot be saved intill something extremely radical (our goverment goes police state, economy crashes, etc) happens... and even then, they might just say "Oh, the gov't is doing the best it can for us!"

Human nature seems to dictate that the majority will be fools =\

1000-points-of-fright
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Tell her you wish her generation hadn't ruined America :)

TonySutton
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
You need to ask her who she is voting for and why she is voting for that person. This will provide the key to open the door to changing her mind.

Exarel
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I know your pain. I've concluded that it is simply not worth the time to try to convince everyone. The brainwashing is rampant. Try to convince someone, not working, move to the next guy. You'll get more people per hour this way and do better for the cause.

CoreyBowen999
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
If you want, you can cry on my shoulder. I woln't bite. Hopefully.

Naw, but im sad to hear that... it seems alot of people cannot be saved intill something extremely radical (our goverment goes police state, economy crashes, etc) happens... and even then, they might just say "Oh, the gov't is doing the best it can for us!"

Human nature seems to dictate that the majority will be fools =\

Im sorry but I'll have to pass on crying on your shoulder

seapilot
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Spot on, make her feel guilty and tell her that her grandkids will be saddled with the huge debt that her generation put on them.

Ginobili
01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Im sorry but I'll have to pass on crying on your shoulder

Ok. But im here if you need me man. Ever. Any time. When ever.

(just playin :P)

withallmyheart
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Corey,
Please print this paper out and give it to your mom to read. It is powerful and very persuasive: http://files.meetup.com/497390/Dixie%20Republican%20Forum%20speech%2C%2015-Jan-08.pdf

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I am STILL working on my mom after 4 months. I have told her EVERYTHING possible. I've come to the conclusion I cannot convince her after a statement. She said: "I wish that money that everybody has contributed to him was put to a better use". I tried to rebute the comment but to no use. She is lost :(

I understand your plight. My parents have been a hard sell also.

My dad thinks the US government can do no harm, and is ALWAYS right in it's decisions, and my mom thinks Ron Paul, along with myself are doom & gloomers.

My guess is both my parents don't understand a damned thing about economics, The Constitution, nor The Bible they both adore.

thefred
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
offtop: why so few people on facebook support RP?
RP's facebook group has less than 5 thousand members?! at least this what i got when i searched for his group.

DirtMcGirt
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
You can only lead to the water... move on to someone else... your dedication in other ways might turn her...

RP08

GoDrNo
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Have you tried shedding a tear while talking about the huge debt and endless wars our children are going to be subjected to if the other candidates get elected? (it worked on my wife)

TheConstitutionLives
01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Tell her that if she hates the Constitution so much then she should just tell you.

ForrestLayne
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Family seems to be the toughest - I can't even start to talk to either brother- don't want to talk anything about politics - Mom likes Huckee because of her preacher. Sometimes you just have to move on - don't lose family over it - there are plenty of others to convert.... best of luck

icon124
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
thank her for ruining your generation and other generations to come...not on purpose that is...but she seems like the rest of the stubborn Americans I come across when I talk about Ron Paul...and most do fall into the middle age class...somehow you gotta make them feel like everything they have ever thought was right is COMPLETELY wrong and they are so blind for not realizing that

bcreps85
01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Who is she voting for and why? That is the best way I have found to convert people...break down what they believe and why, and explain why RP fits it better.

transistor
01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
offtop: why so few people on facebook support RP?
RP's facebook group has less than 5 thousand members?! at least this what i got when i searched for his group.

must be the wrong group. his main group has like 68,000 members

facebook makes it very hard to find anything ron paul related

jk8583
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
i got the exact same thing. my parents are spoon fed by the media and are convinced dr paul is a lunatic and wasting his time. i asked why they think this. they say "thats what everyone on tv is saying" i asked what are his issues you disagree on. they didnt know a single thing he stands for. i got 3 pictures and said which one is ron paul. didnt know. they have no idea who he, or even what he looks like and have no idea what he stands for, yet somehow they're sure he's a nut. i was speechless. and like the rest of you i've come to the conclusion that some people really are hopeless

CoreyBowen999
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
She dosen't vote in the primaries. She just votes for Republicans in the general election.

Goldwater Conservative
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
She said: "I wish that money that everybody has contributed to him was put to a better use".

So do I. Unfortunately, it takes money to run a campaign. Hundreds of millions of dollars, probably over a billion, will have been spent by the end of this year, and of the over a dozen major candidates there have been, only one will be victorious. Even in the general election, when the decision is between two major candidates running a close race, you stand close to a 50-50 chance of backing (and funding, if applicable) the loser, and thus "wasting" your vote (and money). That is, if you consider it a "waste" to take part in the most important decision-making a citizen can.

crazyfingers
01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah my parents are hopeless too. I can't seem to get them alarmed about "preemptive war" or the precipitous loss of civil liberties or the massive debt that will eventually destroy the dollar and with it, the economy. It doesn't make sense...the baby boomer generation started out with so much promise and then the majority of them sold out any semblance of conviction. That generation by and large doesn't care about this country, only themselves. If only they realized the fates of both are inexorably intertwined.

luvfreedom
01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I had split luck. I showed my Mom the Google interview and she was sold! She said "now there is a smart man". My Dad refuses to even watch or read anything I provide him. He believes the world would be in "all out war" if we were not policing. Move on to the next. As my Mom says "You can't teach a pig to sing"

GoDrNo
01-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I was talking with my wife the other day and the subject of people 50-65 came up and the reason's they view politics the way they do.

We can't forget this generation of American's was raised in fear, fear of the Soviet Union. They had air raid drills, and bomb shelters. They lived through the Cuban Missle Crisis, where a lot of folks thought that it was going to be the end of the world. It has been ingrained in them that the US Government is the only thing that can keep them safe.

After the fall of the Soviet Empire they had no more "big bad wolf" to fear, and the neocon's did an excellent job of reinventing that fear, with the "enemy" being "Radical Islam". I noticed this soon after 9/11 when I was talking with my parents, I'm telling you if Bush would have came out and said "The terrorists are busy building rafts and are planning an invasion of the US" my parents would have believed him at the time. I started pointing out all the lies and propaganda that the US used to justify this unjust war, and have been hammering the points home for 6 years now. They have both been fairly receptive to the RP message, but it has taken time that we simply don't have at this point.

hawks4ronpaul
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
You could print this out and leave it on the kitchen table:

http://www.worldandi.com/specialreport/1994/september/Sa12603.htm

WilliamC
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM

I know how youy feel, my father is probably going to be voting for McCain :eek:

kyleAF
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I had split luck. I showed my Mom the Google interview and she was sold! She said "now there is a smart man". My Dad refuses to even watch or read anything I provide him. He believes the world would be in "all out war" if we were not policing. Move on to the next. As my Mom says "You can't teach a pig to sing"

1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Love your signature btw... :)

Carole
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, at least she won't be voting against your vote. :)

wirenut
01-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I know what you mean. I've been trying for so long to convert my co workers but they support rudy and won't even consider voting for ron. They think im throwing my vote away.

Carole
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I was talking with my wife the other day and the subject of people 50-65 came up and the reason's they view politics the way they do.

We can't forget this generation of American's was raised in fear, fear of the Soviet Union. They had air raid drills, and bomb shelters. They lived through the Cuban Missle Crisis, where a lot of folks thought that it was going to be the end of the world. It has been ingrained in them that the US Government is the only thing that can keep them safe.

After the fall of the Soviet Empire they had no more "big bad wolf" to fear, and the neocon's did an excellent job of reinventing that fear, with the "enemy" being "Radical Islam". I noticed this soon after 9/11 when I was talking with my parents, I'm telling you if Bush would have came out and said "The terrorists are busy building rafts and are planning an invasion of the US" my parents would have believed him at the time. I started pointing out all the lies and propaganda that the US used to justify this unjust war, and have been hammering the points home for 6 years now. They have both been fairly receptive to the RP message, but it has taken time that we simply don't have at this point.

You are so astute to point all this out. Yes, I am one of those who grew up during all that and it is true that I was frightened subconsciously my entire life all the way through part of Vietnam. (My father actually built a bomb shelter. This is the truth.) Now it makes me so angry that our government ruined my childhood and took away my innocence.

But I was also an independent thinker and found my way out of the muddle of lies and fear mongering. Once I did, I believed nothing the government said just because they said it.

Since Kennedy I became more and more suspicious of our government. The more I have learned and thought about things-even though I watched MSM news-the more I inwardly questioned things. It took a while before I finally had to divest myself of even Rush Limbaugh. I never liked Hannity, but for a while I watched O'Reilly, but then he really started getting under my skin. So I stopped. Now I watch a little CNN for Cafferty and afew other people on a couple stations, and some CSPAN and occasional PBS.

The only reason I was able to finally come out of the fog of misinformation I think was that I was growing angrier and angrier with the lies and manipulations. Thank God I have a brain. :) I am sixty-two and one of the lucky ones beca;use I have questioned things since I was very, very young always wanting to know why. It did not come from my parents though. I got it on my own.

Highstreet
01-28-2008, 10:50 PM
You need to ask her who she is voting for and why she is voting for that person. This will provide the key to open the door to changing her mind.

Mr. Sutton is correct on this one.

The only way to offer Paul to those who consistently find an excuse to not like him is to show the LUNACY of the other candidates, especially the ones they are leaning towards.

nullvalu
01-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Are you kidding? I don't know how old the OP is, but they probably haven't even started. Especially if the AARP gets their way with their completely selfish blitz for national health care.

Cinderella
01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
well i got lucky...my mom was going to vote for hitlery....i had her sit down and listen to Dr. Paul and i got her to change her mind...i cant vote for him because its too late for me to change from dem to rep...so she will vote for me

dblee
01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
great thread :)