PDA

View Full Version : Response From Editor of Orange County Times Herald - on exluding RP!!! Must READ!

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Good afternoon,
This is Chris Mele, southern Orange County regional editor from the Times Herald-Record, responding to your e-mail about the Sunday Record presentation on the presidential candidates' positions.
The decision to exclude Ron Paul was based on a number of factors: time, resources, space, his standing in the polls and the fact that we made a similar decision about Dennis Kucinich (who at the time we put this story to bed was still running, and remains on the NY ballot nonetheless.) Further, on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008, we carried a story about Hudson Valley supporters of Paul's, their meet-ups, etc.
Ideally, would it be great to be able to account for every last candidate running on the ballot in New York (all 11 of them)? Sure, but practicalities often trump idealism.
Thanks for writing,
Chris Mele
Southern Orange County regional editor
Times Herald-Record

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
11?!

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I know ... it makes no sense! Who are these clowns?

evadmurd
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
BS

Dave Pedersen
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
..."our bus is just too small"...

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I find it very suspect that they said:
" and the fact that we made a similar decision about Dennis Kucinich "

What does Dennis have to do with Ron Paul in their eyes???

Did you respond?

Maybe they didn't get the memo that...
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/features/five-candidates/five-candidates.jpg

CaliforniaGold
01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Did they have room to put the Ghoul?
If they did then their arguement has no merit.

ProfNo
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Classic :D

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
This was in response to an earlier thread this morning:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=103507

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I find it very suspect that they said:
" and the fact that we made a similar decision about Dennis Kucinich "

What does Dennis have to do with Ron Paul in their eyes???

Did you respond?

Seems if I respond it will get no where ... but ... I imagine this is what most of the MSM idiots would say.

ValidusCustodiae
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
dont forget alan keez =\

DealzOnWheelz
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah if Rudy is in it then you can call them on BULLSHIT cuz we've smoked rudy like a philly blunt at a Grateful Dead concert

surf
01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
i don't know about the Times, but the OC Register should be considering endorsing Ron Paul. I believe it is still a somewhat freedom-oriented newspaper. SD Tribune could be an opportunity as well.

i suggest: anyone on this board that lives in the region, particularly if you are a subscriber to the OC Register, to challenge the editorial board to endorse Ron. Surely the OC register has a number of editorial opinions that are a) pro-civil liberties, b) pro-peace and diplomacy, and c) pro-state's rights, particularly with regard to medical marijuana. Site these and highlight how Dr. Paul is the only candidate that supports the position the paper has taken.

Just a suggestion.

i'm hoping a few emails to the Seattle P-I editors from a long-time subscriber will sway the P-I to do the right thing and endorse the right man.

JS4Pat
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Similar situation/response here in Florida...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1101278&posted=1#post1101278

Thumper
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Ideally, would it be great to be able to account for every last candidate running on the ballot in New York (all 11 of them)? Sure, but practicalities often trump idealism.
Thanks for writing,
Chris Mele
Times Herald-Record

Wow, covering 11 candidates, a task of such monumental and dare I say Herculean proportions. I can definitely understand the good Mr. Mele's point. It's just too frikkin hard to write about 11 candidates. Who would even attempt such an undertaking????

/sarcasm

NoMoreApathy
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Of course they did. Nevermind that Giuliani has been obliterted by RP in actual PRIMARIES AND CAUCUSES...it's the TELEPHONE POLLS that actually MATTER!

NoMoreApathy
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
i don't know about the Times, but the OC Register should be considering endorsing Ron Paul. I believe it is still a somewhat freedom-oriented newspaper. SD Tribune could be an opportunity as well.

i suggest: anyone on this board that lives in the region, particularly if you are a subscriber to the OC Register, to challenge the editorial board to endorse Ron. Surely the OC register has a number of editorial opinions that are a) pro-civil liberties, b) pro-peace and diplomacy, and c) pro-state's rights, particularly with regard to medical marijuana. Site these and highlight how Dr. Paul is the only candidate that supports the position the paper has taken.

Just a suggestion.

i'm hoping a few emails to the Seattle P-I editors from a long-time subscriber will sway the P-I to do the right thing and endorse the right man.

Yeah, sounds good and all.. But it's not who the editor is, it's who signs the editor's paycheck.

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Wow, covering 11 candidates, a task of such monumental and dare I say Herculean proportions. I can definitely understand the good Mr. Mele's point. It's just too frikkin hard to write about 11 candidates. Who would even attempt such an undertaking????

/sarcasm

LOL

Caravello
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
But they will find space for Britney's misadventures, maybe some feel-good illegal alien tales about Margarita's lost puppy, etc.

Bottom line is that the editors do not find RP to be newsworthy. And what's newsworthy about a man running for the highest office in the land when there are so many other things!?

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
But they will find space for Britney's misadventures, maybe some feel-good illegal alien tales about Margarita's lost puppy, etc.

Bottom line is that the editors do not find RP to be newsworthy. And what's newsworthy about a man running for the highest office in the land when there are so many other things!?
Yeah ... butt you have plenty of time to cover Britney, michael jackson and all the other tabloid crap!

thomaseusin
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Seems if I respond it will get no where ... but ... I imagine this is what most of the MSM idiots would say.

You could respond mentioning that head-to-head, Paul trumps Giuliani 4-1 in the primaries thus far.

http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/results/index.html

coffeewithchess
01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
The decision to exclude Ron Paul was based on a number of factors: time, resources, space, his standing in the polls and the fact that we made a similar decision about Dennis Kucinich (who at the time we put this story to bed was still running, and remains on the NY ballot nonetheless.)

That is almost exactly what Sarah at Focus on the Family in the Correspondence department said was their "reason" for not including RP in their voters' guide...sounds like the same talking points...something is wrong here. Seriously, that is almost word, for word about "time, resources" and polls.

Thanehand
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Sure, but practicalities often trump idealism.

Utter and complete bullshit.

THIS IS THE DAMN F'ING PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE RACE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! THE WELLNESS OF OUR COUNTRY! NOT SOME TWO-BIT CELEBRITY DRAMA INVENTED BY THE MEDIA.

Sorry for yelling and cursing, but I'm sick of it. These people are no more equipped to report the news than my f'ing cat. They should all be held accountable for what they are doing in the forms of fines and license revocation.

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM

THIS IS THE DAMN F'ING PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE RACE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! THE WELLNESS OF OUR COUNTRY! NOT SOME TWO-BIT CELEBRITY DRAMA INVENTED BY THE MEDIA.

Sorry for yelling and cursing, but I'm sick of it. These people are no more equipped to report the news than my f'ing cat. They should all be held accountable for what they are doing in the forms of fines and license revocation.
Like Ron said in his Progress video ... "we are taking on the establishment" -- I share you sentiments of anger -- but I think we are all doing the best we can ... we expose the lies of MSM ... we will win! hang in there!

davidkachel
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM

Sorry my friend, but you are exactly 100% wrong. This IS a two-bit celebrity drama invented by the media. We stopped having presidential elections decades ago.

V4Vendetta
01-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Good afternoon,
This is Chris Mele, southern Orange County regional editor from the Times Herald-Record, responding to your e-mail about the Sunday Record presentation on the presidential candidates' positions.
The decision to exclude Ron Paul was based on a number of factors: time, resources, space, his standing in the polls and the fact that we made a similar decision about Dennis Kucinich (who at the time we put this story to bed was still running, and remains on the NY ballot nonetheless.) Further, on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008, we carried a story about Hudson Valley supporters of Paul's, their meet-ups, etc.
Thanks for writing,
Chris Mele
Times Herald-Record

#1 Is it common place for a Texas Newspaper to Profile all candidates running,
but exclude the only TEXAS Candidate, who is also a Texas Congressman?

#2 Finished 3rd in the Texas Straw Poll

#3 Set world record for Fund raising

pacelli
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Adjusted to add the truth:

"The decision to exclude Ron Paul was based on a number of factors: time, resources, space, his standing in the polls and the fact that..." my job was threatened if I included him.

Mark
01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I commented mentioning that Ron beat Rudy many times in primaries and caucuses and included a link to his issues page.

But, that reasoning isn't as valid as "polls". Election results are MUCH less important.

Staupostek
01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, if they don't have the ability to fully cover a story, then I guess you should find another news source. Either they can do the job or not.

JasonCYST
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for responding to the prior post about this-this morning, and thanks for posting the email response you recieved from them. I have yet to recieve one myself.

It is true that they did come out to a previous meet-up, and they did indeed do a half-page story. Wasn't anything close to what I would consider a good article, but it wasnt negative by any means. Regardless, that is a bullshit reply.

Our local meet-up is getting together tonight to discuss this issue (unfortunately I wont be able to attend), and we WILL be holding a protest/demonstration outside the Time Herald Record office this week. We'll see what happens...

Catatonic
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
People said the media would HAVE to give us fair coverage if we started winning straw polls. When that didn't work, it was decided the media would have to give us fair coverage if we raised millions of dollars on a single day. Well, that flopped, so it was decided that we had to shatter all records for single day fund raising.

THEN it was decided that the reason we aren't getting fair play from the media is because we have to start getting within the top 3 in at least one primary. Well, here we are...and this crap is still going on.

I hope people are starting to realize the media is just a propoganda tool. Don't waste time worrying about publications that are obvious biased, like this one. If you have a subscription, cancel it and send the money to the campaign.

Thats my opinion anyway. The sooner we move away from the media the better.

surf
01-28-2008, 05:25 PM
oops. wrong Orange County....

Thanehand
01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry my friend, but you are exactly 100% wrong. This IS a two-bit celebrity drama invented by the media. We stopped having presidential elections decades ago.

lol - touché! :D

dannno
01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Like Ron said in his Progress video ... "we are taking on the establishment" -- I share you sentiments of anger -- but I think we are all doing the best we can ... we expose the lies of MSM ... we will win! hang in there!

Very good point. I wish more people knew what this means... there IS infact a conspiracy to not have Ron Paul elected. A huge one. Ron Paul knows it, but he can't just come out and talk about it all time, but you can tell with the language he uses that he knows about it just as much as anyone else.

I like how Ron Paul called our Executive Branch "enemies domestic" on Glenn Beck because of their disregard for our constitution, but I guarantee that 90% of the audience had no idea what he was talking about and did not in fact make that same connection that most of us did that these are in fact REAL enemies, not just some idiot trying to do their best to lead our country.

Midnight77
01-28-2008, 06:13 PM

You don't even have to ask this. You know Giuliani made the list, despite the fact we've outperformed him thus far in virtually all the Primaries and Caucuses ... and we know we outperformed him last Quarter in Fundraising.

Their argument has no merit.

FreeTraveler
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Dear Chris:

Thank you for your response. Come the rEVOLution, your letter will be read into the record as your defense at your tribunal. Good luck with that. :D

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Dear Chris:

Thank you for your response. Come the rEVOLution, your letter will be read into the record as your defense at your tribunal. Good luck with that. :D
That is great!

Crickett
01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, I would respond with this picture, and a nice THANKS..lol

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I am tempted to respond to this boob's comments ... I would like to know if anyone reading this thread thinks it would be worth it. Or ... as the email from Ron said today ... "we are under the radar of the MSM" ... I think RP knows what he is doing ... I dunno ... what do you all think?

FreeTraveler
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I am tempted to respond to this boob's comments ... I would like to know if anyone reading this thread thinks it would be worth it. Or ... as the email from Ron said today ... "we are under the radar of the MSM" ... I think RP knows what he is doing ... I dunno ... what do you all think?

Ron just said "Do not talk about Fight Club," didn't he? This guy's not worth tipping our hand for.

me3
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Good afternoon,
Thanks for writing,
Chris Mele
Times Herald-Record
Very simple. Just ask him how many set and broke the Republican single day fund raising record in one quarter.

affa
01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Dear Chris:

and the list grows.

mysticgeek
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
THANK YOU ALL!!! Who Said this is NOT a REVOLUTION!?!?!?!?!?!

Crickett
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
NOBODY KNOWS he came in second in LA and Nevada..it is hardly in print ANYWHERE. I would bet Chris nor MTV knows....