PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Grassroots HQ Layouts

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Grassroots Headquarters For Nationwide coordination with meetups, projects, and online resources.
The point of the project is to harness a market for grassroots ideas(like those of the blimp and the money bomb), help new people find their meetups, and to have something tangible with the grassroots after this election is over...

To create a intellectual market, and grassroots figurehead that will last into future campaigns...

Will Include:

RonPaulForums (to be Liberty Forest)

Projects Market (To help spark creativity, enlist hard work, direct a unified direction, and to separate the good from the bad in projects)

Grassroots U.S Map (to help people find their meetups and to assist in state grassroots information and action)

Approved Liberty Canidates

Live Support / News

And much more...
--------------------------------------------

Me and Defcreative have two designs for everyone. (please say what you think on both)

Defcreative's Layout:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1525/thepeopleunitelayoutrz0.jpg

Landon's Layout:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/2224821039_a23e97a41c_m.jpg
As requesed> Zoomed version http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2042/2224956415_dc8d3311bf_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2224956173_e0bf9b5624_m.jpg

His is much more polished than mine...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liberty Grassroots HQ Development Team (Still accepting skilled team members)

Landon Walsh(cook) – Team Director / Marketing & Design Solarphoto@gmail.com 1-870-448-5558 / 1870-448-7741 <cell

defcreative – Team Director/ Web Design / Marketing & Design (Pre Project) chris@creativebolt.com

dreicher - Software Engineer / Web Design / Graphic Design dan@reicher.name

gyrmnix - software development gyrmnix@gmail.com

goldstandard - Graphic Design

RP-Republican mmclane@yahoo.com.

thewolf "Charles Strickland" - Programer thewolf2076@yahoo.com

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I've got to learn to Name threads to get better attention...

defcreative
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I've got to learn to Name threads to get better attention...

Yeah, no offense but I was just thinking that myself lol :)

Someone needs to share the OP spotlight and allow the other organizer to post some threads too! :p :D

homah
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I like Defcreative's layout a little more, but prefer your color scheme. Both sites look damn good!

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 02:39 PM
//

defcreative
01-28-2008, 02:39 PM
But I'm excited to develop this site, its going to be great

defcreative
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Defcreative's pics are not showing up

Wierd, I see it. Hold on a sec.

Sey.Naci
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I like Defcreative's layout a little more, but prefer your color scheme. Both sites look damn good!Agree. Also prefer the Liberty Forest concept to the other one and the image used in LandonCook's third jpg.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, no offense but I was just thinking that myself lol :)

Someone needs to share the OP spotlight and allow the other organizer to post some threads too! :p :D

Sorry! I really suck at getting attention.... we will just have to bump alot i guess...

defcreative
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
and the image used in LandonCook's third jpg.

That would be unacceptable bandwidth wise to incorporate into a live networking hub site with a lot of traffic. An image that size and detail would be ~120kb in jpeg resolution while maintaining clarity. But I appreciate your input.

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I like Defcreative's layout best...sleeker.
However I love this imagery:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2224956173_e0bf9b5624_m.jpg

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Wierd, I see it. Hold on a sec.

It's back up for me

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
That would be unacceptable bandwidth wise to incorporate into a live networking hub site with a lot of traffic. An image that size and detail would be ~120kb in jpeg resolution while maintaining clarity. But I appreciate your input.

Its just an noninteractive interface... basicly a pretty link to the Liberty forest...

Jae0
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I like them both. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
I like thelibertytree.com domain and the concept of liberty "taking root" with the tree imagery.
The tree is a powerful symbol across all beliefs and faiths.
It's difficult to say which layout is better, however. They both look good, and it's hard to determine which one is easier to navigate since i'm not sure of the functionality.
Is there a way you could let some of us browse the sites?

thechitowncubs
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Liberty Tree themed Defcreative layout is my vote.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.creativebolt.com/peopleunitelogo.jpg

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Why is your layout in another language?

defcreative
01-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Why is your layout in another language?

http://www.lipsum.com/

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.lipsum.com/

oh, lol...

Goldwater Conservative
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Landon, is there any way to see yours in a zoomed-in view?

brandon
01-28-2008, 03:01 PM
just pick one and get it done. They both look great. Just flip a coin, make the decision, and get this up.

TexMac
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I voted for defcreative's layout. This is a killer project. Thanks to everyone involved.

Can you guys use a C++ programmer? If so, I volunteer my husband.:D

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I voted for defcreative's layout. This is a killer project. Thanks to everyone involved.

Nope, we don't need it for this one, but thank you very much. Coincidentally C++ is my only real weakness. :)

You're husband is a skilled man.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Landon, is there any way to see yours in a zoomed-in view?

I just put it up...

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Can he do other kinds of programming?

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I just put it up...

Is that 100% resolution? If so maybe I should change my image to 100% resolution as well so everyone can see everything with complete clarity.

Soccrmastr
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I can only see Landons..

EDIT: nevermind

I guess I will say mix of both. Everything with Defcreatives except take Landon's Upcoming events and Landon's category list from the left navbar, and incorporate it into Defcreatives somewhere. Instead of Landon's map, use Defcreatives map.

Ronin
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
They are both awesome! For defcreative's I would limit the summary so that more than three would fit on the home page. Maybe a "more" button that would dynamically drop down the description.

Cheap plug, if you are going to have a video news section I suggest adding in links to therealnews.com.

I like Landon's project market tickers. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but it's a great idea to create a market of projects.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Is that 100% resolution? If so maybe I should change my image to 100% resolution as well so everyone can see everything with complete clarity.

Your keeps having problums for some reason, sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't... You want to upload it somewhere else and I'll change the link?

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
They are both awesome! For defcreative's I would limit the summary so that more than three would fit on the home page. Maybe a "more" button that would dynamically drop down the description.

Cheap plug, if you are going to have a video news section I suggest adding in links to therealnews.com.
I like Landon's project market tickers. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but it's a great idea to create a market of projects.

I forgot about them, good idea!

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I can only see Landons..

How about this?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1525/thepeopleunitelayoutrz0.jpg

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Oh yeah, let me clairify, this is a pre-production design showcase ONLY.

For the sake of saving time I didn't repeat the information into different fields and make more entries.

The home page will be a lot larger and will hold 6+ projects and 6+ articles below the projects in the same "digg" rating format. There will be more features as well.

j0ew00ds
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm only seeing a few of the images, but the ones i see look great.

I'm a PHP/MySQL/HTML pro, if you need me let me know. I'm a bit swamped with work, side-jobs, and Ron Paul stuff right now but if this takes a few months to fly, get ahold of me.

Highstreet
01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
that's pretty sweet. It that doable amount of graphics for a high traffic site?

I'm excited to see the finished product.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm only seeing a few of the images, but the ones i see look great.

I'm a PHP/MySQL/HTML pro, if you need me let me know. I'm a bit swamped with work, side-jobs, and Ron Paul stuff right now but if this takes a few months to fly, get ahold of me.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind if it takes a while.

TexMac
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Can he do other kinds of programming?

Yes. C/C++, VB, C#. C# isn't his specialty, though. He's a machine vision guy.

defcreative

If you're talking about mine, yes.

It will be a highly efficient CSS layout and the graphics will be very efficient.

LandonCook

I was thinking a Ronpaul2008 sort of bandwith budget... seriously... we might need help...

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Yes. C/C++, VB, C#. C# isn't his specialty, though. He's a machine vision guy.

You might ask Def on that one, He's the programmer...

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Landon What the heck are you doing - pm me your program and I'll get you more attention homie..

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
You might ask Def on that one, He's the programmer...

Those are all languages that compile into an executable, versus scripting languages like php, javascript, etc. C++ C# and others that compile into executables are extremely powerful, but are not used online ever except rarely in back-end custom server apps. So long story short while those skills are very useful for a lot of coding projects, web coding isn't one of them.

JT1
01-28-2008, 03:29 PM
They both look great to me although I do like the look of the top projects area on Defcreative's more.

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
They booth look awesome! But I think Landon's layout is resonating a little more with me. Still a nice compromise between both would get the gold.

TexMac
01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Those are all languages that compile into an executable, versus scripting languages like php, javascript, etc. C++ C# and others that compile into executables are extremely powerful, but are not used online ever except rarely in back-end custom server apps. So long story short while those skills are very useful for a lot of coding projects, web coding isn't one of them.
Well, you know where we are if you need us for another project.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, you know where we are if you need us for another project.

Thank you very much for your gracious offer, if we end up needing some help I will know who to reach. :)

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
For anyone who may have wanted to see a larger image of my layout, I am posting it for you. Remember that this is just to show the style and layout of my design, the real design will have A LOT more activities / articles / and features on the front page. Enjoy.

(Sorry ahead of time to any people still using dial up *eek*)

http://www.creativebolt.com/layoutdesign100.jpg

I am going to retire to my bed for a few hours, last night I spent most of my time sleeping on my keyboard (lol really), so I will be back a bit later.

Thank you everyone for your kindness and support for mine and Landon's project.

barrett203
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
defcreative. only because it has a lot of eye candy and i like eye candy like that on websites

ryvin1
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I really like the overall map to see whats going on where and easily access data per area or overall.

alienpyro
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I really like the concept of the tree, but I do like def's layout a little better.

Regardless, your guys organization and progress is incredibly impressive. I am totally on board with this project.

I truly believe that we are going to end up creating a political entity that will rival, and possibly overtake anything else currently out there. I am extremely excited to be a part of something so freaking incredible. Add me to the list as a php guy. I can do pretty much anything with PHP. If i don't know it I can quickly learn it.

Drknows
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Landons layout and Defcreative's color scheme and logo.

EDIT well like like the big easy side menu on Landons layout (ron paul 2008) and I like the tree liberty forest thing.

But i also like the red white and blue flames and project area on Defcreative layout with the shoutbox.

Hard choice.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I really like the overall map to see whats going on where and easily access data per area or overall.

It will do that, and a LOTTT of other great stuff too.

Heres a small portion of the features that the site will have, among others not listed.

web application which enables users to organize meet ups in real time.

- Users have access to an interactive map.

- Users will submit activities with a location, time, and desired number of participants.

- Users will search for activities by submitting an address and/or zip code, and radius, or using the map.

- Users can join activities.

- Users can comment on activities.

- Users can submit media links to activities. (which would allow for videos/photos/blogs of the activity)

- Users can comment on links.

Activities / Locations can be centralized or dispersed. When the user joins a dispersed activity, it can either join at that location, or in a new location. The other locations are plotted on the map too.

- Users can browse all activities in a list.

- The list can be sorted with the activities occurring next first.

- The list can be sorted with newly submitted activities first.

- The list can be sorted by desired number of participants.

- The list can be sorted by number of participants so far.

- Users can browse all links submitted to all activities in a list.

- The list can be sorted newest first.

- The list can be sorted according to how many participants the activities had.

- The list can be sorted oldest first.

Page for each activity:

- There is a button to join the activity on this page.

- There is a button to post a link to this page.

- AJAX comment box to post a comment

- maybe* a digg style rating system for comments.

- Show avatar and profile of user who submitted this location / activity.

- If the event is over, it displays how quickly the event was organized (time posted to time all slots were filled or when it occurred).

- It displays when it is to occur, if it hasn't happened yet.

- Displays who participated.

- Displays links connected to it.

- Displays comments.

Info for each link

- Displays activity it is a part of

- Displays when the activity occured

- Displays when the link was submitted

- Displays who submitted the link

- Displays comments

- Site has official date and time (to synchronize watches!)

- It shows the number of registered users.

- Users will have a score system based upon how many successful events / locations / activities they have made and participated in.

Many others not listed that we are going to be including as well like Live Help, RSS news and RSS Ron Paul forums Tickers.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I really like the concept of the tree, but I do like def's layout a little better.

Regardless, your guys organization and progress is incredibly impressive. I am totally on board with this project.

I truly believe that we are going to end up creating a political entity that will rival, and possibly overtake anything else currently out there. I am extremely excited to be a part of something so freaking incredible. Add me to the list as a php guy. I can do pretty much anything with PHP. If i don't know it I can quickly learn it.

Great, we have a lot of hands as it is, but I will keep you in mind. We may be be surprised with the workload once I split up the project into different coder's hands. In that case you may be a hero. :) ;)

xerigen
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Are you going to be implementing a content management system like wordpress or joomla or are you creating scripts from scratch to work in to your design?

withallmyheart
01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Suggestion here: Be careful on the number of videos showing up on the front page. Another forum site has so many vidoes that my computer locks up every time I visit it. I haven't visited the site in a long time so I don't know if the site's been changed.
Just my 2 cents.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
bump...

Austrian_guy
01-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Liberty Tree themed Defcreative layout is my vote.

I second that.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
bump...

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 05:40 PM
hello?

DirtMcGirt
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
+1

thomaseusin
01-28-2008, 05:49 PM
both look great. no real preference, except, please make the final product low bandwidth. slow to load might turn people away.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Suggestion here: Be careful on the number of videos showing up on the front page. Another forum site has so many vidoes that my computer locks up every time I visit it. I haven't visited the site in a long time so I don't know if the site's been changed.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure you will be fine on the site, because there will not be any video actually loaded until you press the play button. I am going to make the script treat the video as an image until you request to view it, then it will initialize the video player and began caching the video. That will prevent any problems.

Bandwidth is a big issue with me, my site version appears to be more graphically intensive, but in reality it is very compact because of the way I will be slicing the images and coding in a very efficient CSS styled layout.

Speediness = Godliness in websites and we won't forget it ;)

faisal
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
PLEASE HAVE A SIDE BAR WITH THE UPCOMING EVENTS BECAUSE IT IS VERY HELPFUL!

defcreative
01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
PLEASE HAVE A SIDE BAR WITH THE UPCOMING EVENTS BECAUSE IT IS VERY HELPFUL!

It will be added to the real site, that was just a layout demonstration to showcase the design and interface style. There will be a lot more content on the real site.

I was planning on having that bar on the right side.

It also wouldn't make sense to only have three "digg" style articles on the main page lol, right? ;)

FreeTraveler
01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I definately prefer the LibertyTree concept. Keep the front page as uncluttered as possible. The front page is for immediate action items and guidance to the rest of the system. If it doesn't demand immediate action, it should be on another page with a link shown on the front page.

faisal
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
It will be added to the real site, that was just a layout demonstration to showcase the design and interface style. There will be a lot more content on the real site.

I was planning on having that bar on the right side.

It also wouldn't make sense to only have three "digg" style articles on the main page lol, right? ;)

Incredible! You guys really know how to get stuff done!

BuddyRey
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Defcreative's is very bold and forceful, but Landon's is very homey and comforting. I cannot decide!

faisal
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I think you definitely need a section like the one in Landon's layout where you can find your precinct, and information about what to do on your primary/caucus. I also think that you should have each member include their location when signing up, so that when you choose your location on the map and you see other ron paul supporters in your neighborhood, you can plan stuff together to do. I know that I feel alone in my town and wonder if anyone else likes Ron Paul. It will help us get together in the real world, not just online...

defcreative
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I think you definitely need a section like the one in Landon's layout where you can find your precinct, and information about what to do on your primary/caucus. I also think that you should have each member include their location when signing up, so that when you choose your location on the map and you see other ron paul supporters in your neighborhood, you can plan stuff together to do. I know that I feel alone in my town and wonder if anyone else likes Ron Paul. It will help us get together in the real world, not just online...

My version will share that same feature as well, it just isn't shown on the demonstration layout I created yet, so all is well.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 11:58 PM
I lost to the young vote... lol, first time in history anyone has...

faisal
01-29-2008, 12:02 AM
So where do we go from here? If you need any help, I'm at your disposal.

LandonCook
01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
What do you do? we need lawyers more than anything...

Lord Xar
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
they both have a different look, which is good. I can't say which is better. I like the fact that the red,white and blue are now integrated in the flames. Makes a huge positive different.

I think what your next step would be is to print out each in full color and then go around to friends, family OUTSIDE of this forum and get their opinions.. just put a checkmark on the back of each - depending on what is selected.

I think that this forum will give you a certain slice, but you will need to appeal to others outside the most ardent supporters. So, that is what I have done in the past with business visuals and such.

Both are really good. You guys are inspiring. Just make sure you each sign a contract the other won't hijack things away from the other and have all come collapsing down :)
Just kidding, well, not really lol. Good to cover your bases.

Carole
01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I like some things about both, but I especially like that tere is less white space on Defcreative's.

Maybe pick the best items from each as a compromise.

Have to see the others first.

faisal
01-29-2008, 12:26 AM
What do you do? we need lawyers more than anything...

I'm not a lawyer and I'm only 14. I doubt I can do a lot but I can do advertisement of your site among Ron Paul supporters. Just curious: why do you need a lawyer?

dblee
01-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Landon, you are the man. hopefully you are not a megalomaniacal egotist bent on promoting your own selfish ambitions....

Thanks for stepping up man! :D

lly4now
01-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Yes! From my heart, I commend your initiative!

pacelli
01-29-2008, 01:47 AM
I like defcreative's better, it looks slick and seems maximally functional.

LibertyEagle
01-29-2008, 01:50 AM
I like a mix of both.

I like Def's layout better, but I like Landon's site name and symbol much better. Also, how projects are dealt with seems like it will be very important and from just these top-level screen shots, it's hard to tell.

I'm hoping you guys can work together to create the final version. Both of you have a lot of talent and great ideas. :)

defcreative
01-29-2008, 03:55 AM
I lost to the young vote... lol, first time in history anyone has...

I don't think so, you have to realize that your layout isn't really your own. The background is from ronpaul2008.com as well as the body header and the left side menu as well. I'm not trying to sound harsh or overly critical, but that is a big big deal. My design is completely custom from scratch and the elements were designed 100% by me.

I appreciate your effort in the designing phase, but this project was actually started by me first and I have a lot more time and energy invested in the layout and functionality of the site and it shows.

defcreative
01-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Another great option!

http://www.creativebolt.com/layoutdesign2.jpg

ronpaul.in
01-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Defs is better, you can have full use of http://www.ourelection.org if you want it

defcreative
01-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Defs is better, you can have full use of http://www.ourelection.org if you want it

Thank you very much for the support. I don't see an immediate use for it but we'll keep it in mind!

thewolf7=1976
01-29-2008, 08:09 AM
It's looking great. Voted for Def's, but you know I'm a liberty tree supporter, I hope we can work that in. If not the design is looking good. Landon send me an email about other needs you are thinking about, like lawyers etc... I will see what I can do.

xerigen
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
defcreative if you don't mind me asking: are you coding completely from scratch or skinning for a content management system like joomla or wordpress?

Ronin
02-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Whatever happened to this?

LandonCook
02-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Whatever happened to this?

The mods Banned defcreative for the project....

Ronin
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
WHAT?? Any idea where def's website is? I'm trying to organize a long-term project and something like what def's site would be perfect to help promote/organize.

Churchill2004
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Defcreative's is the better layout, but I much prefer the name "Liberty Tree". It evokes an image of individual liberty- what we want to convey- as opposed to an image of simple "democratic"/populist majority rule, which is in large part what we're trying to defeat.

LandonCook
02-17-2008, 01:09 AM
WHAT?? Any idea where def's website is? I'm trying to organize a long-term project and something like what def's site would be perfect to help promote/organize.

I got locked out of my own email account last week http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=120507 and have just now gotten ahold of him... So I don't really know yet.

syborius
02-17-2008, 03:40 AM
graphics for the map of the USA can be like landons maybe? it's lsightly more polished, better graphcs, functionality goes to def. though.

regardless, all great work. Keep up the fight.