PDA

View Full Version : Hows Business?

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Doing an informal poll as I go into small businesses as a lead in to passing our RP information.

90% of businesses seem to be in recession

Grocery Stores seem to be doing best

One dry cleaner owner says it's the slowest in 20 years

I also notice the most amazing sales 60-70%+ off clothes at most of the national retailers.

Can I get you thoughts from around the country? Thanks!

ALSO:
Best ideas for small business right now?
Black market tobbaco
Silver gold trading
Medicinal marriuana
Importing legal medication
managing bank REOs any other ideas?

ShowMeLiberty
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
My husband is in the process of closing a small business he started almost 3 years ago. It's a gun/outdoors store in Missouri. We can't afford to go any deeper in to debt for it.

It's just anecdotal evidence, but all the small business owners in the area that he has talked to also say they are just not making any money.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:31 AM
My husband is in the process of closing a small business he started almost 3 years ago. It's a gun/outdoors store in Missouri. We can't afford to go any deeper in to debt for it.

It's just anecdotal evidence, but all the small business owners in the area that he has talked to also say they are just not making any money.

Yeah thats what I'm hearing...

CareerTech1
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I do dispute resolution and turnarounds for small businesses all over the USA. My clients are sourced by court filings of Business vs Business claims. There are substantially more debt related claims and higher volumes of claims being filed.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I do dispute resolution and turnarounds for small businesses all over the USA. My clients are sourced by court filings of Business vs Business claims. There are substantially more debt related claims and higher volumes of claims being filed.

Yeah I might getting back into debt negotiations for mortgages... tell me more!

CareerTech1
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah I might getting back into debt negotiations for mortgages... tell me more!

the field is ripe for harvesting.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
My auction business has suffered terribly. People still consign everything from automobiles to real estate to antiques and they consign them at the same rate they were before but these items are just not bringing the money like they once did so consequently I am not making the money I used to make. I am still holding on (barely) but it has gotten so bad that I have decided to go back to college so I can have something in the works should this all collapse around me.

GoDrNo
01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
My parents lost their small business (restaurant) here in MI 2 years ago. Loads of small businesses here are either closing their doors or running with bare minimum staffing. My wife was let go from her architecture firm in the 3rd 1/4 of '07 and in the 3 months since then the firm has eliminated everyone but the 2 partners and 1 intern, they used to run with a staff of 6 during the slow times and pick up a couple more for the busier summer season. If our economy here is an indicator of what's to come things have to change or this country is going to be rocked to the core.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
My auction business has suffered terribly. People still consign everything from automobiles to real estate to antiques and they consign them at the same rate they were before but these items are just not bringing the money like they once did so consequently I am not making the money I used to make. I am still holding on (barely) but it has gotten so bad that I have decided to go back to college so I can have something in the works should this all collapse around me.

I thought auctions would do better during this time oh well for that idea - thanks

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
My parents lost their small business (restaurant) here in MI 2 years ago. Loads of small businesses here are either closing their doors or running with bare minimum staffing. My wife was let go from her architecture firm in the 3rd 1/4 of '07 and in the 3 months since then the firm has eliminated everyone but the 2 partners and 1 intern, they used to run with a staff of 6 during the slow times and pick up a couple more for the busier summer season. If our economy here is an indicator of what's to come things have to change or this country is going to be rocked to the core.

My frind owns a Thai restaurant - she said it is the slowest she can ever remember...

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
the field is ripe for harvesting.

Yeah carreer tech I'll let you know how its' going - let's talk som time I'm pmin you my phone number

constituent
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
i have it on good authority that coin-op washeterias are rock'n out w/ the band right now.

...low start up costs to boot!

Arklatex
01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I thought auctions would do better during this time oh well for that idea - thanks

Me too, that's why i've been holding onto my EBAY. Maybe EBAY is the reason for this though.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-28-2008, 11:46 AM

Well on one level, auction houses do well. In economic slumps you tend to see more high end items showing up as people need the money more than that diamond ring, gold watch, tiffany vase,etc. Those items will still bring good money but most auctioneers thrive off of lower ticket items. For instance, If I sell a painting for $10,000 than that is a great sale but the commission plus buyers premium I make from that item wil pretty much just pay my bills. Now in that same auction I may sell several thousand items for $20 or under and those items are the ones that put food on the table and gas in my truck,etc. Lots that used to bring $20 now brng $2 if I am lucky.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
i have it on good authority that coin-op washeterias are rock'n out w/ the band right now.

...low start up costs to boot!

Please tell us more about ti=his - thanks

jnpg
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
So it makes sense that grocery stores are doing good- no one wants to spend $ to eat out- I know I don't. Even Mickey D's runs my family of 4 around $20 - better food cooked at home.

Also the coin-op laundry makes sense- more people are going to move out of houses and into apts and rentals. Fewer people w/laundry at home....

So apts and rentals will start filling up- and there will be increasing numbers of vacant/foreclosed homes. I think a danger will be trying to get in too early to scoop up bargains.

I am planning a garden this spring and am looking forward to reducing my grocery bill.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Well on one level, auction houses do well. In economic slumps you tend to see more high end items showing up as people need the money more than that diamond ring, gold watch, tiffany vase,etc. Those items will still bring good money but most auctioneers thrive off of lower ticket items. For instance, If I sell a painting for $10,000 than that is a great sale but the commission plus buyers premium I make from that item wil pretty much just pay my bills. Now in that same auction I may sell several thousand items for $20 or under and those items are the ones that put food on the table and gas in my truck,etc. Lots that used to bring $20 now brng $2 if I am lucky.

Wow - that all makes sence I'm sorry =- they say that during this time speculator seem to reighn esp during times of hyperinflation...we'll see - I'm trading a lot of silver coins right now

hillbilly
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
We own/operate a dog boarding & training facility.

I can safely say that the past holiday season (Thanksgiving-New Year's) was our most successful in 24 years of operation.

What I have noticed is a growing change in our clientele. We are experiencing a demand for more door-to-door training sessions in the large metro (and very posh) areas & less demand for basic local (we are rural) boarding & training.

The poor folk are doing less business with us--taking less vacations & just avoiding the training altogether.

The rich folk want us to come fix their dog at any cost.

Interesting topic. Thanks!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Me too, that's why i've been holding onto my EBAY. Maybe EBAY is the reason for this though.

No, actually ebay has sort of helped the live auction business. Many items bring a substantially higher amount at live auction than they do online. Rare items tend to do better at live auction than they do online because people have a chance to personally inspect the item before bidding and most professional auctioneers only stay in business from their reputation of being trustworthy and not trying to pass off reproductions or fantasy items as genuine articles. The rise of ebay has given live auctions an influx of new buyers looking for low ticket items they can sell for a few dollars on the net. The big problem is that a lot of those buyers are starting to disappear because those buyers just do not have the money to spend and those low ticket items they thrive on are just not selling online.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
We own/operate a dog boarding & training facility.

I can safely say that the past holiday season (Thanksgiving-New Year's) was our most successful in 24 years of operation.

What I have noticed is a growing change in our clientele. We are experiencing a demand for more door-to-door training sessions in the large metro (and very posh) areas & less demand for basic local (we are rural) boarding & training.

The poor folk are doing less business with us--taking less vacations & just avoiding the training altogether.

The rich folk want us to come fix their dog at any cost.

Interesting topic. Thanks!

IS it just SOCal or am I noticing a huge SURGE in Dogs for sale? People engagin in Dog Breeding???

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow - that all makes sence I'm sorry =- they say that during this time speculator seem to reighn esp during times of hyperinflation...we'll see - I'm trading a lot of silver coins right now

Coins are through the roof right now. If I could just do silver,gold and platinum auctions than I would be in a different tax bracket right now. Seriously, coins struck from precious metals and antique military items/historic memorablia seem to be the strongest items right now and they are also the ones that hold up during recessions.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Coins are through the roof right now. If I could just do silver,gold and platinum auctions than I would be in a different tax bracket right now. Seriously, coins struck from precious metals and antique military items/historic memorablia seem to be the strongest items right now and they are also the ones that hold up during recessions.

My local dealing has a bid board wher he puts up 100s of coins and we bid on them he takes 10% coins from$1.75 to a few $100

hillbilly
01-28-2008, 12:01 PM
IS it just SOCal or am I noticing a huge SURGE in Dogs for sale? People engagin in Dog Breeding???

Dogs for sale, dogs sent to the pound....the shelter refusing to take anymore because they're full up & the freezer's full.

The poor peeps can't afford the upkeep or training..... the rich folk pay for cosmetic surgery for their pooches. It doesn't matter if you're in SOCal or coastal NC.

Of course there's lots of folk breeding their dogs too.... trying to make some quick & easy money.

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Dogs for sale, dogs sent to the pound....the shelter refusing to take anymore because they're full up & the freezer's full.

The poor peeps can't afford the upkeep or training..... the rich folk pay for cosmetic surgery for their pooches. It doesn't matter if you're in SOCal or coastal NC.

Of course there's lots of folk breeding their dogs too.... trying to make some quick & easy money.

YEah quick easy money - poor dogs - maybe people should be breeding animals they can actually eat? poor poor dogs

hillbilly
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
YEah quick easy money - poor dogs - maybe people should be breeding animals they can actually eat? poor poor dogs

We work with over a dozen different rescue organizations. I know.

Shink
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I hate to ask this, but what is a career path that is always strong even during a recession? I am just now doing college classes online, and I don't know if I really should try for being a constitutional lawyer as I am now...or if I should do something totally different with faster results.

constituent
01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Also the coin-op laundry makes sense- more people are going to move out of houses and into apts and rentals. Fewer people w/laundry at home....

that says it all.

look for areas w/ high foot traffic or on the "outskirts" of major cities.

small town coin-op laundries always ALWAYS do well... more people who cannot
afford to purchase a washing machine/pay to have it delivered... and a steady
stream of people waiting a week or two for the repairman to get out and fix
their broken machine, etc.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I hate to ask this, but what is a career path that is always strong even during a recession? I am just now doing college classes online, and I don't know if I really should try for being a constitutional lawyer as I am now...or if I should do something totally different with faster results.

Well we will always need doctors and teachers. Personally, I am going back to school to study law and I want to work with campaign law. After seeing how corrupt this system is and how hard they are fighting to keep Ron Paul out of office I just want to be ready to go to war for justice if we ever have another candidate like Dr. Paul again.

jnpg
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Healthcare is a safe bet for job demand- and I would even venture to say IT jobs are going to continue to be in demand. Also I think any kind of maintenance job would always be there- plumber/A/C repair etc...

As someone who taught in public school for 5 whole years- if you are anti-establishment I would not recommend this route. Unless you are a swim-upstream kind of person and want to work on that broken system from the inside. In my experience it was awful- the ones we were supposed to be serving (students) were not treated well. The teachers were mostly out for themselves. I don't think I could go back for anything. I would say to anyone trying to figure out a career path to think really hard about what they LIKE to do and go from there. Nothing is worse than getting up in the morning and dreading your grind with the machine....

bobo37
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Of all places you would think would do better during times like this is Flea Markets but I have to tell you that the 2 flea markets in the Myrtle Beach area are doing horrible. I've talked to a lot of the dealers and they say that there having a hard time getting enough sales to pay the rent and that doesn't include what they paid for the stuff either. SomePeople are hording on to what ever little they have and the others don't have it to spend. This downturn at the Flea Markets started about 7 or 8 months ago and has gotten worse.

fuzzybekool
01-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I own a neighborhood grocery / liquor store. Business is down 30 % mostly due to construction guys out of work with houses not being built, and homebuilders going into bankruptcy.

Interesting enough, my lottery sales is up 20 %. Go figure.

virginiakid
01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm in the automobile industry and it keeps getting worse. It has never recovered from 9/11. Every once in a while you will see spurts, but they are always followed by a quick loss. Trust me, when RP says we are in a recession, WE ARE!

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM

One answer - fastest and biggest money RN!!! 60-six figures guarnetteed

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I own a neighborhood grocery / liquor store. Business is down 30 % mostly due to construction guys out of work with houses not being built, and homebuilders going into bankruptcy.

Interesting enough, my lottery sales is up 20 %. Go figure.

Thanks - this is telling and what I'm hearing also - lotto up? hmmm

ghemminger
01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm in the automobile industry and it keeps getting worse. It has never recovered from 9/11. Every once in a while you will see spurts, but they are always followed by a quick loss. Trust me, when RP says we are in a recession, WE ARE!

Virgina - where is the money to be made with regards to Auto mobiles - parts? repo work?