PDA

View Full Version : Letters to the editor

Hurricane Bruiser
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I posted this in news and discussion but thought it more fitting here.

I have written two letters to the editor of my local newspaper. I suggest everyone else do the same. Here is what I wrote. You are free to take and edit it as you see fit for your audience. You can't take the article and republish as is because it wouldn't make sense (1st Paragraph)

Ron Paul - A True Patriot

I read with interest the letter to the editor by xxxxxxx who lamented the fact that far too often the politicians who run for office promise one thing, but once in power, vote entirely different. I too am immensely frustrated with the way politicians act and when I survey the people running for President in both parties, I find little comfort. I am sick and tired of holding my nose and voting for the lesser of two evils. However, I have found someone running for President in 2008 that I can finally support 100% and I know his talk will match his actions.

Ron Paul is a 10 term Congressman from the state of Texas, is an obstetrician by trade, and has the most consistent voting record and positions of any politician that I have ever seen. He has never voted to raise taxes, for an unbalanced budget, to raise congressional pay, for a federal restriction on gun ownership, or to increase the power of the executive branch. Before voting on legislation he always asks the question, “Does the Constitution authorize this law?” Ron Paul has a deep concern for individual freedom and privacy and has often voted against legislation pushed by his own Republican Party. He is often referred to as “Dr. No” because how often he votes against legislation that he views as unconstitutional. Ron Paul is pro-life but sees that along with other criminal issues, as State responsibilities. Ron Paul views the proper function of the federal government to be national security including border security, and only those few other specific areas specified by the Constitution in keeping with the 10th Amendment and Article I section 8 of the Constitution and subsequent amendments. He is for true free trade but is against managed trade agreements like NAFTA, CAFTA, and the WTO which often undermine US business. Ron Paul is an outspoken critic of the Federal Reserve and its inflationary policies which erode our purchasing power and is a hidden tax on society.

On foreign policy, Ron Paul believes strongly in non-intervention and seeks to follow the advice of George Washington in avoiding entangling alliances. He seeks to pull our troops out of the myriad number of countries they are in, which will greatly reduce resentment toward the United States. He studies history a great deal and traces back the Islamic threat we are dealing with today to WWI and subsequent events which led to 911. He is the only presidential candidate running on the Republican side that voted against the Iraq war because he did not see Iraq as a true threat to our security. However, he did vote to support military action in Afghanistan. In the latest financial filing, Ron Paul received more donations from the military than any other candidate.

Ron Paul is someone I can be certain will work strongly toward a limited, Constitutional federal government, will not deviate from his principles, and is the ONLY person running that I can truly support. I urge you to find out more about him at www.ronpaul2008.com and join the grassroots movement which is supporting him.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxx