PDA

View Full Version : Speakers needed for Kansas Caucuses - Sat Feb 9th

snemeth
01-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Hello,

My name is Scott Nemeth, I'm a grassroots organizer for Ron Paul in Kansas. I know a few of you may think Kansas is irrelevant to the election. Think again; because on Saturday February 9th, Kansas is the first vote after Super Tuesday. Winning Kansas is an opportunity for Ron Paul supporters to show post-Super Tuesday momentum while the other campaigns are sucking financial wind. We have a strong grassroots organization here and we believe Kansas and it's 39 delegates are winnable for Ron Paul, but we need out-of-state help to maximize the vote here. Bear with me as I explain why.

There are 69 caucus locations and 4 districts in Kansas. Most of the grassroots activity has been happening in 3rd and 4th districts. Unfortunately the caucus rules force Ron Paul supporters to make a Faustian bargain to send speakers to Districts 1 & 2 which are more rural. Kansas voters are NOT allowed to vote outside their own district. For example, I may only vote in 3rd district, which is where I live. So if I drive to western Kansas to speak to Republican voters at their caucus, I must sacrifice my vote in 3rd district. You see I cannot be in two places at once, I cannot vote in 3rd district and at the same time speak to voters in 1st district. The Kansas rules do not even allow for a provisional or absentee ballots, my choices are to speak at another caucus hoping that I can influence more people to vote for Ron Paul OR to cast my one vote which will be a sure thing for Ron Paul. I hope you can clearly understand our dilemma here in Kansas.

However, there is another option. We can use people from out-of-state to speak for Ron Paul at these rural caucus locations. We already have a couple volunteers from Missouri but we need more. I know many of you are neck-deep getting ready for Super Tuesday. After Super Tuesday is over, can you give just one more speech? Can you make just one more drive? Doing so will save a critical vote in Kansas on Sat Feb 9th. Please, help us!

I know I'm asking a lot from you to come here and speak for Ron Paul at a Kansas caucus; but I'm not asking anything I wouldn't do myself. The good news is that we only need a couple dozen people at most, and your participation will, in effect, provide at least one more vote for Ron Paul in Kansas. Please contact me if you are able to help us.

Thanks for your generosity.

scott@scottnemeth.com

Gadsden Flag
01-27-2008, 09:36 PM
I may be able to lend a voice.

I live about 45 minutes east of Kansas City.

How deep into Kansas are the parts you're talking about? Since you mentioned Missouri specifically, I imagine it is in the east part of Kansas, otherwise you'd be talking about Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, etc.

snemeth
01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
If you could cover one of the locations in District 2 let me know. I've listed them below. Also I will need a text copy of the speech you intend to give. That's a requirement from the campaign, not me. If you happen to have a video of your speech on youtube I'd like to see that as well. Let me know what your preferred location is below, and I'll get you in touch with the district 2 coordinator.

BROWN Hiawatha Fisher Community Center 201 E Iowa
COFFEY Burlington Kelley Park 3rd & Potomac 4-H Building
DOUGLAS Lawrence South Junior High School 2734 Lousiana
JEFFERSON Ozawkie American Legion 10114 Old Town Trail
GEARY Junction City Public Library 230 W 7th Street
LABETTE Parsons Parsons Recreation Center 200 S Meacock
LEAVENWORTH Leavenworth Riverfront Community Center 123 S Esplanade
MIAMI Lawrence South Junior High School 2734 Lousiana
OSAGE Osage City Senior Center 6th and Market
POTTAWATOMIE St George Rock Creek Jr/Sr High 9355 Flush Rd
RILEY Manhattan CICO Park Wreath & Dickens Ave Pottorff Hall
SHAWNEE Topeka Capitol Plaza/Kansas Expo Center 17th & Topeka Blvd

snemeth
01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I will need a text copy of the speech you intend to give.

I can provide a "canned speech" if you need one too.

matthias
01-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Hays, KS here. Are you sure that you cannot participate using a provisional ballot? I spoke with the Republican caucus rep. in Ellis County and he said that we can use provisional ballots. You might want to check again.

4RPinKC
01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I need to make sure I can get the day off work, but I might be able to help out.

I also happen to be a heck of an orator.

Power to the Peaceful
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=aweirdpoet

snemeth
01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Hays, KS here. Are you sure that you cannot participate using a provisional ballot? I spoke with the Republican caucus rep. in Ellis County and he said that we can use provisional ballots. You might want to check again.

Thanks for the info...interesting. There has been a lot of confusion and miscommunication with these Kansas caucuses. In a lot of cases officials are quoting rules that applied to the primaries for the 2004 election. They may not realize there are changes because 2008 is a Caucus and not a primary. I can try to confirm what you said, but in either case we do not want another situation like what is going on in Louisiana where they are taking their sweet time to count the provisional ballots.

The good news is we did get a couple more speakers from the post here and other places, and believe it or not, most of them are Ron Paul supporters like you who live in Kansas. They agreed to drive a few miles to attend a different caucus and speak for Ron Paul. Others live just across the border in other states and have PRIME Iowa caucus experience. They were at caucus locations where Ron Paul came in 1st or 2nd place. Having them come in is a boon to our campaign here.

I can probably back down from the more urgent appeal I made earlier, but there is still a need, especially in 1st district (Central and Western Kansas); those interested should still contact me or the official campaign.

We definitely want speakers for Ron Paul at ALL caucuses, that plus our other campaign efforts will win Kansas for Ron Paul.

-Scott

matthias
01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm glad to see you are taking the initiative. I am considering being a speaker, but not too comfortable with public speaking. Well see.