PDA

View Full Version : LDS President Gordon Hinkley has passed away.

UtahApocalypse
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I know this is not Ron Paul related, however I do know we have many LDS supporters. I wanted to pass along the sad news that the LDS Church President and Prophet Gordon B. Hinkley has passed away. Thoughts are with all of those of the LDS faith.

pacelli
01-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I know this is not Ron Paul related, however I do know we have many LDS supporters. I wanted to pass along the sad news that the LDS Church President and Prophet Gordon B. Hinkley has passed away. Thoughts are with all of those of the LDS faith.

Is there a place to post respectful and formal condolences from the Ron Paul Grassroots Community?

UtahApocalypse
01-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Is there a place to post respectful and formal condolences from the Ron Paul Grassroots Community?

Not at the moment, this is literally JUST NOW. All the local news sites are crashed. I heard the news over my police scanner.

pacelli
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Not at the moment, this is literally JUST NOW. All the local news sites are crashed. I heard the news over my police scanner.

Oh my gosh! Thanks for the heads-up ! Condolences for his family and church members.

yongrel
01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm not Mormon, but I give my condolences nonetheless.

Nyte
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
:(

zakkubin
01-27-2008, 09:43 PM
sad news indeed.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2560294

JGalt
01-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm an atheist, but I offer my condolences nonetheless.

Every human being is unique, and each death deprives us of a precious individual, but he will live on in the hearts and minds of those who knew him.

David805
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm an atheist, but I offer my condolences nonetheless.

Every human being is unique, and each death deprives us of a precious individual, but he will live on in the hearts and minds of those who knew him.

My thoughts exactly. I am also atheist mate :) Nice to see i am not the only rational thinker here :P

"Grassroots Central is not a dumping ground, it is to be used only for important or semi-important topics relating to the Ron Paul campaign. It is not for discussion of other candidates and general news. If you would like to suggest a change in forum policy or sub-forum layout that is welcome. This discussion and all other comments for a moderator should be post in the "Forum Feedback & Ideas" sub-forum:"

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/announcement.php?f=2

Gadsden Flag
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
In one of his books, 'For A New Liberty', Murray Rothbard commended the LDS church for it's superb private welfare program. He said that the values of hard work and self discipline which the church instills in its participants go much farther toward helping those people than any government welfare program can.

TaiwanGuy
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
i cant believe this. i am literally shocked (i guess i mean as shocked as you can be when a 97 year-old man passes away). i hadnt heard any rumors of his health deteriorating.

i will miss him.

ShowMeLiberty
01-27-2008, 10:09 PM

My sympathies to you UtahApocalypse, and your fellow church members. The loss of a beloved leader is surely a difficult time.

I'm not a Mormon but I support the Mormons Constitutional right to their faith and their human right to be treated with respect.

CareerTech1
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Thank you for posting this.

He is / was a great man - and his life was full of selfless service to all.

Bryan
01-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for post UA- sorry to here this.

BTW- this thread is being allowed here since UA is a long standing member, such people get a little break for something like this every now and then. :)

Here is a copy/ alternate thread for those not wishing to pay respects:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=103234
Thank.

Marc3579
01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear, from what I've read he was a great, selfless person. My condolences to those who have passed theirs on.

TaiwanGuy
01-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for post UA- sorry to here this.

BTW- this thread is being allowed here since UA is a long standing member, such people get a little break for something like this every now and then. :)

thank you. i heard the news from this thread and thankful that ua posted it.

specsaregood
01-27-2008, 10:38 PM
My condolensces to his family and all mormons around the world.
Thanks for posting this information.

On a sidenote, how is a new president elected/appointed?

CareerTech1
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
If anything this thread should be in respect of his life and dedication to serve mankind.

He lead the church who were the first responders at Katrina, the Tsunami, etc.

2 weeks before FEMA showed up the church had over 1 million gallons of water and resources set up for the families that were victims to these catastrophe's.

The church does not go out and advertise the work that is done for the less fortunate - yet it is going on everyday in hundreds of countries throughout the world. The church has NO PAID STAFF. The church is run by its members hence a lay ministry. All monies / tithes / offerings go toward helping our fellow mankind.

The church does good things worldwide for people. President Hinkley spent his life to this end.

CareerTech1
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
My condolensces to his family and all mormons around the world.
Thanks for posting this information.

On a sidenote, how is a new president elected/appointed?

you can find that out here www.lds.org or here www.mormon.org

JGalt
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
I think I would've posted a similar response no matter who had died. All loss of human life is regrettable, and it is regrettable whether the individual in question was 7 or 97.

So please, if not for your own sake, for ours, have a little reverence.

Marc3579
01-27-2008, 10:45 PM
*sigh* CareerTech I've heard a little about the LDS, grew up with a family that were LDS all through high school. They were rather standoffish people. I'm not really surprised what they did for Katrina. As far as, them showing up with needs/resources for people. After reading what you said I agree about President Hinkley.

CareerTech1
01-27-2008, 10:48 PM
*sigh* CareerTech I've heard a little about the LDS, grew up with a family that were LDS all through high school. They were rather standoffish people. I'm not really surprised what they did for Katrina. As far as, them showing up with needs/resources for people. After reading what you said I agree about President Hinkley.

I am a convert to the church - my mom brother and i are the first in my family to join the church

i hope I'm not standoffish - ;-)

Original_Intent
01-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I expect some Mormon's are stand-offish and some are social butterflies and some are jerks and some are really cool and some are selfish and some would do anything for anyone. Just like real people. ;) (I am one of the standoffish, selfish, jerk Mormons, so I can say that, just like black people can say the "n" word) :p

dannno
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
The next President of the LDS Church will probably be Thomas S. Monson. My grandma was his Sunday school teacher... from what I've heard he's a good guy..

CareerTech1
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I expect some Mormon's are stand-offish and some are social butterflies and some are jerks and some are really cool and some are selfish and some would do anything for anyone. Just like real people. ;) (I am one of the standoffish, selfish, jerk Mormons, so I can say that, just like black people can say the "n" word) :p

+1

RPinSEAZ
01-27-2008, 11:18 PM
What I've always wondered is how is someone elected to become a prophet. Shouldn't that person be chosen by a higher power?

CareerTech1
01-27-2008, 11:20 PM
yep - you are correct -

there is no democratic election process - it is by divine revelation - all of the Twelve Apostles receive the same witness

RPinSEAZ
01-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Ok, so basically the leaders of the church (12 apostles) get a vision of some sort?

rmolly1
01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I've been a member all my life. I was 13 when Hinckley became prophet. He did an incredible amount for the church as far as growth. I'm sure Thomas S. Monson is feeling extremely overwhelmed at the moment with the loss of a friend and the great responsibility that is now upon his shoulders. I'm sure that he is prepared for such a task, and that the Mormon (and religious) community will help to make his transition smooth.

Zym
01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm almost speechless, which is astounding to anyone who knows me. Gordon B. Hinkley was a great man who worked hard for all mankind, not just Mormons. The fact that the church never publicizes the relief works we do goes to testify to the fact that the LDS church does things because it's the right thing to do, not to get positive press. Hinkley had semi trucks full of food and water waiting at the state borders BEFORE Katrina made landfall, not "on the way" a week after like our federal government. The church had aid to tsunami victims immediately, not weeks after like various governments. I live in the NW, and when we had major flooding a couple months ago, it was the church that had shelters and volunteers that were housing and feeding people, and helping clean up and repair their houses literally a week before FEMA stepped foot in the state. I kid you not, our local Ward got together 20 men and drove 200 miles to shovel mud out of peoples houses. We were met there by other wards from all over the state. No Government welfare program needed. I meet a LOT of Mormons I hadn't met before, but never once saw a FEMA rep.

President Hinkley is finally able to rejoin his wife who passed a couple of years ago, so I do not feel sorry for him, he is in a better place. I weep for my loss. While selfish, he made a big impact on my life, and I'm going to be selfish right now.

CareerTech1
01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Ok, so basically the leaders of the church (12 apostles) get a vision of some sort?

a spiritual prompting / revelation

Marc3579
01-28-2008, 12:12 AM
CareerTech nah you weren't standoffish, I'd stand up for my religion the same way you have. So don't worry about offending me :)

CareerTech1
01-28-2008, 05:49 AM
CareerTech nah you weren't standoffish, I'd stand up for my religion the same way you have. So don't worry about offending me :)

:cool:

jonahtrainer
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
What I've always wondered is how is someone elected to become a prophet. Shouldn't that person be chosen by a higher power?

The world has lost a great man with President Hinckley. I have always greatly respected him.

After researching the issue it appears that Mormons select the next President of the Church (Prophet; like the Pope) who is the senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and a 'spiritual witness' to the members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Then the general church membership votes to sustain the new President of the Church.

This practice seems to have originated with Brigham Young (2nd President of the Church) after Joseph Smith's assassination. There does not appear to be any politicking or electing. Simply based on the eldest.

Currently, Thomas Monson is the most senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He was also the First Counselor of the First Presidency (President of the Church and two counselors that come from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles).

Is this correct Mormons?

Original_Intent
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Pretty much. The quorum of the 12 has always selected the most senior member of the quorum to be the next president. There is no rule that says that is done, all I know is they select who they say they are prompted by the spirit to select, and it must be unanimous.

If all goes as it has previously, Thomas Monsen will be the next President of the LDS church.