PDA

View Full Version : How to turn Democratic parents to Republican?

Jules
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
My parents were always registered Democrats and no matter how many times I preach about Ron Paul, they still won't change. Does anyone have tips how to change their minds?

Besides general things, I'd like to bring to light some factual issues about the whole Hillary/Obama/Edwards gang, such as the distribution of wealth.

(I think they have their eyes on Edwards.)

khorbis
01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Well, the first order of business is to figure out WHY they vote Democrat in lieu of any other party. Do they really believe in the ideology of big government, or are they just "comfortable" with their current situation. A lot of people truly believe the old phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unfortunately, when dealing with complex issues (like what the role of government ought to be) it can often be difficult to tell if something is broken if the pieces are extremely small. This is especially true of those who have allowed a particular mindset (like liberalism) to completely ingrain their subjective view of the world.

Once you discover the source of their "Democratic-ness," I would suggest try to break down their psychological barriers with hard facts about said issue(s). For instance, if they don't agree with the war in Iraq (or wars in general) then you've got it made. Ron Paul completely disagrees with war and his voting record reflects that. Conversely, if they AGREE with war in Iraq (or wars in general) then you'll need to bombard them with factual evidence of the anti-war (Michael Scheuer), pro-economy (Comptroller General, David Walker) variety. Although we might do SOME good in Iraq by staying, you must underscore the point that the U.S. can NOT afford to be there (hell, we can't even afford important programs here) and we have actually HELPED terrorism by being there (Bin Laden said it himself). Basically, put yourself in their shoes...as cliche' as that sounds.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

pinkmandy
01-27-2008, 10:18 PM
A conservative democrat is very similar to a Barry Goldwater republican.

Jules
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your responses. Keep them coming if you have more.

They definitely are comfortable with their party and they go by the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' rule. I'll definitely mention the small broken pieces bit.

Here's some mini facts:
They are both in their early 50's.
Their house and cars are all paid off.
They are 100% healthy and do not rely on healthcare.

Anything else?

pinkmandy
01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, imo they should be voting what is best for the next generation and can they honestly say that they want you to have bigger govt and higher taxes?

jdmetz
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Here's my argument (for the primaries only - Ron Paul will have to convince them after that):

There are two elections, the Democratic Primary, and the Republican Primary (or caucus). You get to choose one to vote in. Which is more important?

I think it is very easy to make a case that the Republican primary is a lot more important at this point. There is a much bigger difference between Ron Paul and the other Republicans compared to any differences among the Democrats.

Show them some of the McCain videos (100 years, there will be more wars, etc.) and ask if they really want to risk having him get elected.

Jules
01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Thats' a good point, Mandy.

Thanks for everyone's input. :)

freedom-maniac
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
The Democratic Party was started by Thomas Jefferson. Ron Paul is the only Jeffersonian running.

LibertyOfOne
01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't want to change them to any party. The focus should be about what candidate is the most liberty oriented.

angrydragon
01-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Obama, Clinton and Edwards are for the PATRIOT ACT.

AFM
01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Tell them that you would go to war for liberty
THIS IS FREEDOM YOU ARE FIGHTING FOR!
GOOD GOD! You have not convinced them yet?
ARE YOU TO WAIT UNTIL THE COMMIES KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR?
lock and load baby

Soccrmastr
01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
A conservative democrat is very similar to a Barry Goldwater republican.

........... ur an idiot. stop giving false information.