PDA

View Full Version : Canvass-Calling ADVOCACY Calls

derdy
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I had a big problem with the non-advocacy survey due to the fact it just seemed a little shady not to mention unnecessary. So here's what I had our people doing at the call center I got us.

Rather than doing the survey, we introduce ourselves as neighbors[EDIT: We specifically told them which street we lived on or the neighborhood. This worked excellent for one guy. People said they saw signs at his house. One guy even requested a sign from him. I called one house, and an older couple lived there. The lady who answered the phone asked who I was when I asked for the husband. I told her my was Denny and I live down the street. She goes, "Oh okay!" lol They were Romney/Giuliani supporters though] which we are since we're calling in our voting precinct, and we come right out and say we're Ron Paul volunteers. We then say we're calling around the neigborhood to see who people are voting for this primary election. EDIT: We first asked them if they had a particular candidate in mind for the primary or if they were still undecided. 70% were undecideds. We then ask them what issues are most important to them.

EDIT: After hearing what issues they were concerned with, our main goal was being able to drop off information with them regarding those issues. The follow up for undecideds is very important. We had a white board up and would cheer anytime someone said we could come by and drop off material.
We bought a TON of door-knob baggies and we put the slimjim(s) that relate to that issue they are concerned with for. I'm trying to hand-deliver the material to the person, if they're not home leave the baggy on the door knob. I know most of you won't have access to that. If they aren't home get something to put the material in. Leaving a personal note isn't a bad idea either with your contact information incase they want a sign. If they don't call you follow up with them before the primary.
Verify the address of the people you plan to drop off stuff too. Some of them were wrong.

This method has worked great for us. Rather than having them pick from a list of choices like the NA calls, you allow them to speak and that gives you a chance to introduce Ron Paul. Most haven't heard of him or don't know enough about him to form an opinion. We found a lot of pissed off people that are fed up with the status-quo.

If you deviate from the above make sure you use open-ended questions. For example, I tried a twist on the above and said, "I'm calling around the neighborhood to see if you've heard of Ron Paul and if you're going to vote for him." The gentleman replied, "Yes I've heard of Ron Paul and no I'm not going to vote for him." That's an example of a closed-ended question and I only did that once for obvious reasons.

I asked my former boss, whose office we were using, for advice on the calls since he's a wicked bad-ass salesperson.

He said that instead of coming out and saying we're Ron Paul volunteers from the beginning, introduce ourselves as neighbors and get them agreeing with you. For example, "My name is Denny and I live in your neighborhood. I'm callling you because I'm concerned with the economy and getting fed up with politics in general (add more issues in here if you like) and I've decided to get involved in my community this election cycle to see if others are as concerned as I am." <----The point here is that you peak their interest by showing that you are concerned about similar issues. Then you can say you're supporting Ron Paul because he has the most comprehensive plan on the economy yada-yada.

My boss gave me the frame-work for the script and the above is something I just made up. So feel free to adjust it anyway you please.

Generally, the people we called were pissed off at the way things were going/where we're headed as a country and extremely polite to me as a neighbor.

SolusSLX
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Sounds good, I'll try this!

kutibah
01-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Im forwarding this to my meetup, thanks!

bucfish
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you!!!

derdy
01-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Doh! I forgot about the follow up. After hearing what issues they were concerned with, our main goal was being able to drop off information with them regarding those issues.

We bought a TON of door-knob baggies and we put the slimjim(s) that relate to that issue they are concerned with. Make sure you verify their address. If you forget just do a reverse look up on google or use www.whitepages.com

derdy
01-28-2008, 12:37 AM
DOH DOH! Forgot about something else we're doing. If they are concerned about the economy and/or taxes are an issue for them, print off these:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/Prosperity

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-releases/171/peter-schiff-named-economic-advisor-to-the-ron-paul-2008-presidential-campaign

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-releases/167/don-luskin-named-economic-advisor-to-the-ron-paul-2008-presidential-campaign

derdy
01-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Updated original post with more info

derdy
01-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Updated original post again. I'll quit being lazy and just write a script later today.

raystone
01-31-2008, 09:04 AM
this is exactly what i was looking for ! (don't like the official campaign script, either)

Jay Bee
02-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks Derby!

TuningIn
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Your boss is totally right. I knew something wasn't right with the training videos. I took off a valuable Saturday from canvassing and heard this guy Gerard in Columbus talking at the HQ grand opening. It was totally worth it. He has a sales background, too.

There's a script on this page that he developed.

http://ohio4ronpaul.com/resources/

He even did some youtubes to make his approach more widely available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQERHHZRGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVldfo8pY8

I just couldn't see myself talking to my neighbors without telling them why I was really there. Also, people are extremely polite when you intro yourself as a neighbor. I really thought I would get a cold reception, - I know I'm not all that warm with salespeople - but people are POLITE TO THEIR NEIGHBORS. Why would I not lead with that?

Also, doing voter ID first is silly. It's like quantum mechanics - you change the outcome by measuring it. You get people to take a stance. Does an encyclopedia salesman start his pitch with "Were you thinking of buying encyclopedias today?" The people in my neighborhood mostly weren't even thinking about politics 3 wks. out from the primary. We're providing them with information, probably the first information they've heard, about one of their voting options.

If someone has taken a stance, they'll let you know early in your pitch. That takes care of voter ID for them. For the rest, you continue with conversion and no time was wasted on trying to call them back later telling your neighbor what your real motivation is.