PDA

View Full Version : What about the pardon of Non-violent drug offenders???

Myerz
01-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I haven't seen much discussion on this and how we might benefit from it, not personally but as for the campaign. I see the plus(s) in many ways.

How about you?

dvictr
01-27-2008, 08:19 PM
if the message got out.. all blacks would support Ron Paul

-

steph3n
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
it won't win the GOP in fact the mentions of it here are spreading among the GOP even some I have gotten to vote for Paul and they aren't happy at all.

Signzit
01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I would like to know more about this strategy. There are many in general election that could support this approach!

steph3n
01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I would like to know more about this strategy. There are many in general election that could support this approach!

also many that wont thinking it is a local enforcement issue which it is.

Many of them it is about like pardoning all DUI offenders, that won't get you far.

RSLudlum
01-27-2008, 08:28 PM
The only time it's been mention in the media is on CNN and earlier in the Debate that Tavis Smiley hosted.

This would definitely be good ammo for the General Election.

literatim
01-27-2008, 08:28 PM
He can only pardon those who are charged by the federal government.

UnitedWeStand
01-27-2008, 08:29 PM
I think it scares a lot of voters to think of crack heads being released, sounds like a crime wave.

remember, right now we are trying to get as many republican voters to vote for him. In other words lots of older people who would be very alarmed at this and m ight never read more about his other issues.

pinkmandy
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I haven't seen much discussion on this and how we might benefit from it, not personally but as for the campaign. I see the plus(s) in many ways.

How about you?

IF he runs 3rd party it's a message to get out. Right now we are trying to persuade church going conservatives...

bcreps85
01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
This scared me at first until I considered the reality of the situation. These are people who never caused any harm to anyone, and probably got busted on a random check or something. What exactly makes them criminals?

It is a simple fact that the government has overstepped their obligations here, just as with prohibition. If/when these people harm someone, THEN punish them. I know plenty of people who do drugs, but manage to do so without 99% of other people ever knowing...I don't approve, but they aren't harming anyone now are they?

Patriot0811
01-27-2008, 08:47 PM
we're paying millions in tax dollars to keep these non violent offenders in prison when we can pardon them and have them actually pay money into the system.

Myerz
01-27-2008, 08:57 PM
church going conservatives do drugs too........cough, cough, cough.

We're not perfect...just forgiven.

Harry96
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I've been saying since the beginning that he should be stressing this, but I respect his judgment in not harping on it -- as long as he still intends to do it if he wins.

Recently, someone made a comment that Ron Paul would free the most black people since Lincoln. That could be made into an awesome slogan.

pcosmar
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
church going conservatives do drugs too........cough, cough, cough.

We're not perfect...just forgiven.

I have known Church going Christians who smoke pot, they just stay quiet about it.
There are a great many imperfect people in church.
It's the perfect ones you need to watch.

RSLudlum
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
many here may not care, but Neal Boortz advocates this all the time as the first action he'd take if he were president. There actually is alot of data/studies out there that suggests this is the best answer to the drug problem.

bcreps85
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I think he doesn't harp about this because he knows that most people aren't smart enough to understand it. Then again, most people don't understand getting rid of the DOE either, and he does talk about that...this is probably more of a hot issue though. People are measurable pissed at our current education system, talking about drug issues seems to be a little more taboo.

fourameuphoria
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
If you've got church-going older people who are worried, you don't evade the issue to get their vote. Considering that the drug war has more holes than Swiss cheese, avoiding the issue rather than pointing out all the fallacies is the last thing you'd want to do.

Oyate
01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Well I think whoever said all blacks would support Ron Paul if word got out is a moron. However, I think it's a great idea to let drug offenders who have not victimized anyone out.

Not just non-violent drug offenders, but those who have not committed violence or robbed or neglected their children, yes, let these people go. God gave them a life and it's theirs to keep or throw away. Absent any crime against another person, they are innocent in my book.

The benefits will be billions of dollars saved from the prison industrial complex and the reduction of the police state.

But of course, in our republican model this question is a matter for the individual states.

Signzit
01-27-2008, 10:36 PM
As i said, in the general election this could get traction!

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-27-2008, 10:42 PM
if the message got out.. all blacks would support Ron Paul

-

WOW what are you trying to do, make Ron Paul lose votes?

axiomata
01-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Ignoring the fact that he can't pardon all non-violent drug offenders, I still do not agree that it would be a good thing to do. It would be a contradiction to his position against amnesty even for non-violent illegal aliens.

I would, however, support a commutation of the sentence to community service.