PDA

View Full Version : Why Ron Paul WILL Win Super Tuesday.

chiplitfam
01-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Why Ron Paul WILL Win Super Tuesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by John Armstrong
(Libertarian)
Original Title: Ron Paul's Moneybomb Fizzles: Rudy May Get Last Laugh After All. The title accomplished its purpose, I thought it was time to bring the title more in line with the Article's Intent. Thanks to the ronpaullive.com guys for naming it for me.

Ron Paul supporters, and even the campaign itself, have taken pride in beating Rudy Giuliani in multiple primaries so far. But that is going to change in Florida. Ron Paul is going to get thumped by Rudy. And that is a very good thing.

What? Before you skip to the comments, let me explain.

How did the media explain Ron Paul's 2nd place finish in Nevada? Well, they basically just ignored it. But when the issue was addressed, it was always explained this way:

Paul was the only candidate besides Romney who advertised in Nevada.

I'll spare the sermon on what it says about the American electorate when issues mean less than advertising. Instead, let's examine how this simple, dismissive explanation of Paul's strong finish should instead provide a reason to believe for his supporters.

Judging from the MLK money bomb totals so far today, it seems that many Ron Paul supporters have either maxed out their cards, their contribution limits, or are becoming more reticent in their support of Ron Paul. I'm certain the media will spin the $2-3 Million raised today as a "failure" or sign of weakening support if it is mentioned at all.

What won't be mentioned is that this time around, the pledge amount requested was for $10 instead of $100. The fact that the Teflon Ron campaign received 5,000 NEW donors today AFTER the media's best attempt of character assassination failed will also be conveniently omitted. That people are spending their own money to buy supplies as precinct leaders (becoming a Precinct Leader is a great way to support RP if you have no money) in the true individualist fashion this campaign inspires will surely be a non-story as well. But no matter how it is spun, looking at Monday's results can be disheartening to an ardent supporter of Ron Paul. As J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote, "Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." If you haven't yet donated and have fallen into the sad category of so many Americans trying to pick a winner, I encourage you to donate as soon as you finish reading this article or you get paid. Hopefully, what I am about to write will give you a reason to do so.

You see, Rudy is set to explode now because that is exactly what he planned to do from the beginning. Other than self-funded Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, all of the other candidates are broke. Rudy has been waiting. Paul's supporters have been critical of his thrifty spending in early primary states on sub-par (but improving) advertising. What they didn't see is that Ron Paul actually had a real strategy to go the distance. I include myself in the category of being critical or this approach due to my initial failure to recognize this strategy. We all wanted to shock the world in Iowa and New Hampshire. It didn't happen. I didn't realize what was going on until after Nevada. It seems that many of Ron Paul's supporters still don't.

As many MSM articles have stated, the primaries so far have done more to make the GOP nomination picture cloudy than they have to establish a leader. In 2000, the nomination was all but guaranteed when Bush won South Carolina. This year, McCain won South Carolina with a paltry 33% and far fewer votes than he received in the same state eight years ago. Even the pundits who tout polls showing McCain as the only Republican who can beat Hillary aren't ready to fully get behind him yet. And the longer they wait to pick their man, the better Ron Paul's chances get.

Super Duper Tuesday will mean a lot; in fact, it will mean more than it ever has. And very few candidates will be able to advertise in all (or even most) of the states. The media couldn't keep Ron Paul from finishing second in Nevada even on the heels of the racist smearing attempt. Unfortunately and fortunately, it was his advertising and lack of advertising by his opponents rather than his message that made the difference. In states where the advertising of other candidates and influence of the media met, Paul failed to reach the top 3 (if you are one of the 258 Iowa Ron Paul supporters who didn't vote and prevented a top three from happening there, which would have changed everything, go donate the maximum amount to the campaign now to pay your penance). But in the one state (excluding closed-primary Wyoming) where the other candidates didn't advertise, Ron Paul finished SECOND behind the candidate who spent more. The moral of the story is that now more than ever, Ron Paul needs your support so that he can advertise and finish strong in the states on Super Tuesday where the other candidates don't have the money to compete.

If Dr. Paul finishes strongly across the board on Super Tuesday, everything changes. There is a strong chance this will happen if his supporters don't lose faith. Here are two things that show he has a strong chance to do well on February 5th. Other than the importance of advertising, another thing Nevada may potentially indicate is that his support in the formerly wild, wild yet still freedom-loving West may be stronger than anticipated. Several Western States vote on Super Tuesday. His campaign also has a great plan to take advantage of new California election rules and pick up delegates from democratic strong hold precincts there with the help of his meetup group grassroot supporters.

A strong performance on Super Duper Tuesday becomes even more significant when you take into account the fact that the only Super State left to vote after Super Tuesday is his home state of Texas. If all of us as Ron Paul supporters will keep the faith, send money, get off our asses, and go knock on some doors to spread the word, Ron Paul can do well enough on the 5th of February (situated fatefully exactly one quarter of the way between the 5th of November and General Election) to give the people of his home state a reason to vote for him. It really isn't hard to convince a Texan to support a Texan if you give them any semblance of a reason to do so. That's up to his supporters.

Ron Paul sent a letter out to his supporters last night promising to be in the race all the way through a brokered convention. This convention isn't until the end of the summer. As the economy worsens, his non-support of the Iraq War will become less of a stumbling block among GOP voters (especially if they have time to understand that the war is one of the major reasons the economy is faltering) and his now "fringe" economic ideas may take hold and become very important. If he is one of only three candidates still standing going into the Convention, the media will have to play nice since his delegates will need to vote for someone else in order to get that candidate the nomination, and the smear campaign will have long been forgotten. As more people begin to pay attention to the election and find out who he is, his support will swell. We all know what happens when people decide to "Google Ron Paul" and learn about issues themselves. Because of the very generous donations his supporters have already given, his place will never be with the Dennis Kucinich and Sam Brownback's of the world.

If given a few more months for the message to spread, this really could become the unstoppable movement we believed it was just three months ago. If the GOP Convention is indeed a brokered one, and not just a rallying party for the pre-selected nominee, Paul would have to be allowed to speak there. It would be a real political debate. This massive opportunity would give his ideas a huge audience. So far the the message has only reached the GOP Neo-Conservative Bush apologists and those of us who were lucky enough to hear it before the media considered the message enough of a threat to censor it. Most people won't have the benefit of hearing a spin-free Ron Paul between now and then. Only a strong showing on Super Tuesday and fractured GOP can counteract that influence and provide the opportunity for that message to be heard.

Doing well enough from here forward to be invited to the Convention to give that aforementioned speech woud provide enough time to build the momentum needed to springboard him to the Republican nomination or to a legitimate Third Party Run. If given enough time to continue spreading the message, the ideas would be adopted by enough young and young at heart Americans to cause Ron Paul's name be mentioned in the same breath as Barry Goldwater. Not Barry Goldwater, Jr. who supports Ron Paul, but his Father who changed the course of the Republican Party. Goldwater may have lost the election, but his influence in the Republican Party reverberated for decades until the GOP was hijacked by the people who are now in charge while the true conservatives slept and continued to pick "the lesser of two evils." Ron Paul may or may not win the nomination or general election, but for these ideas to really take root he needs to carry on at least until the GOP convention.

That's only possible if two things happen. There is no clear-cut victor after Super Tuesday. And he wins enough delegates that day, in Texas, and the other remaining states to get him invited to the Convention. Neither of these are possible without your most generous support so he can compete in the states where the other candidates can't afford to advertise.

Rudy understands how important Super Tuesday is. He's been waiting. It's been fun to beat him so far, but are we really going to become apathetic and discouraged now when it really counts? Why do we win all of the text polls? Simple. We're probably the only supporters of any candidate who really care enough about this election and understand what's at stake to watch all of the debates and send a text. A massive amount of people have yet to hear Dr. Paul's message. Once they do, text poll results will become real poll results because they will care as much as we do. If you really want to make a difference in this election and beyond, now is our time to win.

This is not the time for apathy. Our nemesis Rudy understands how big the coming weeks are. Are we really going to roll over and die now that the going is getting tough? Did you really think this would be easy? Are we going to allow ourselves to be influenced by the media now and stop giving? Are we really going to be outsmarted by a man whose results due to allocation of resources so far coupled with his coming surge clearly show that this is the time we should be picking up the pace and giving more? Only you can answer that question. There is no "we" it is "you" and "me." And you and I are individually responsible. If our current state of government shows anything, it's that waiting for someone else to act and solve a problem instead of accepting personal responsibility and acting accordingly only exacerbates the problem or creates a new one.

It's time to donate and send our candidate to a brokered GOP Convention so we can send his message to the world.

It's time to act. I did; my contribution limit is reached. Will you act now or wish you had later?

Your Fellow American,

John Armstrong

trey4sports
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
that was very good. very inspiring, thank you

MJfromCT
01-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Bingo

dt_
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
well said :)

affa
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
bump

pacelli
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Well said and as another person who has maxed out my donations, 2300 cap reached, I wish I could do more. I take solace in knowing that my donations got us up to this point. It hurt to max out - but it was worth it ! The campaign needs the cash to keep running all the way to the nomination.

I also agree with your contention that Rudy is not done. I've never trusted him, and I believe this propaganda he released about asking his workers to take no pay is a LIE. I suspect that Rudy will have around $7 million cash-on-hand after Florida.

We need to continue funding the campaign. I only wish McCain-Feingold hadn't screwed the grassroots over by capping the limit at 2300.

Exarel
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
bump

FSP-Rebel
01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Definitely worth the read...

pinkmandy
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Go Dr. Paul!!!!! Nice article, btw!

shooter_tx
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Awesome write-up!

Revolutn
01-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Excellent, and just what each of us needs to hear right here, right now.

Rev

Shellshock1918
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Has anyone seen in ads in the Super Tuesday states yet?